Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

3d Plant - Drawcalls versus Triangles

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by kondrup, Feb 20, 2011.

1. kondrup

kondrup

Hi, all

I have been wondering about this for some time - is it better to have low drawcalls or low triangle count?

I think this could be created in the following two ways:

(1) 1 submesh, 1 vertex-lit shader with cull off (2sided) = 1 draw call and 2 x 1.290 tris.
    - The problem with this method is that it is only necessary to have 2sided material on the leaves.

(2) 2 submeshes, 2 vertex-lit shaders = 2 drawcalls and 1.290 tris

The funny thing is, that when I display stats in the 'game view' it only shows 1.8k tris even though cull is Off in the shader - shouldnt it be 2.580? If I use the default vertex-lit shader it still shows 1.8k tris.. hmm?

- This is very confusing :/

online indretningsprogram love my home home indret program plantegning interior decorating tool application

2. OutCyder

OutCyder

I suggest you to make one drawcall for the whole plant.
    Also number of triangles is pretty high unless your game is on the centimeters scale.

unityunity