Search Unity

Resolved 3D objects & other assets in new UI

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by seldemirov, Aug 26, 2022.

1. seldemirov

seldemirov

Hi, everyone! I want use interactive 3D objects in my UI. Can I do it?
    And I want use assets like "Modular 3D Text - In-Game 3D UI System". Can I get access to their components from the new UI?

soleron likes this.
  2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

I assume by "new UI" you mean UI Toolkit? If so, UI Toolkit does not work based on GameObjects and MonoBehaviours so it won't be immediately compatible with the asset you mention.

seldemirov likes this.
  3. seldemirov

seldemirov

Thank you for your answers.
    Yes, I meen UI Toolkit. Maybe you are planning to add the ability to use GameObjects?

soleron likes this.
  4. soleron

soleron

that is horrible because in many cases we use 3D assets for the UI. i.e. for VR applications and even mobile/PC applications that require dragging and dropping from the UI in the game world.

5. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

It's true the story for world-space "3D" UI is not complete for UI Toolkit. It is possible to use render textures on planes in 3D to have UI "in the 3D world", but it's not a good workflow at the moment.

That said, my answer was specific to whether a third-party GameObject-based asset would work out-of-the-box with UI Toolkit. Because UITK is not GO-based, it will usually not "just work". But it doesn't mean you can't combine 3D with UI Toolkit, or UI Toolkit UI within your 3D world (ie. health bars). You can definitely do that today and we will continue to improve these use cases and workflows going forward. Basically, just because UI Toolkit is not based on GameObject, that doesn't mean it can't do 3D.