Search Unity

3D Object in scene displaces after it is re-imported.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Neolightl, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Neolightl

Neolightl

Hey guys, I am trying to update some of my existing models by over-writing their fbx files in the asset folder.

That is to say: I'm exporting a new version of the fbx straight from maya to the asset folder in hopes to update my art.

The composition of my scene is already laid out, so i'm hoping to update the look of my models - not their translation or rotation within the scene. Unfortunately, every time I try to update SOME of the assets in my scene, they displace.

I mean, they wildly displace many hundreds of units away from their previous location. I allways center my pivot points on my models so I really dont think it has anything to do with that.

I have also noticed that sometimes my asset will label itself as "missing" after its fbx file has been updated. All instances of the object will dissappear from the scene entirely. A few moments afterwords, the object will be found and all instances of the object stack on top of each other at the origin point of the scene.

Any ideas with the correct way to re-import updated art?

2. Peter Ples

Peter Ples

Hm.. No real ideas but can you try deleting history? Or whatever the equivalent is in non-maya programs.

I sometime have similar problems but instead they outright disappear. Not sure how I fix it usually.

3. twiesner

twiesner

What version of unity are you using?
    Are you actually exporting your models at the origin point in maya (0,0,0)?
    In you scene did you just drag and drop the model into the scene or did you make a prefab from your model and are using prefabs?

4. Neolightl

Neolightl

Thanks for the replies. Here's a step by step image that shows what's going on. I'm using unity 5... I always delete history and freeze transforms. The mesh is also centered at maya's origin.

5. Neolightl

Neolightl

I also want to note that I have the old fbx file for the terrace saved, so if I overwrite the new fbx file with the old one - things go back to normal.

I'm just stuck because I can't seem to make an update to my meshes without losing them from the scene.

6. Peter Ples

Peter Ples

[EDIT 2] After re-reading your first post I realize you are already experiencing "missing mesh" problems. So a lot of the following of my post you can ignore, sorry.

Can you try looking at the Skinned Mesh Renderer component of the mesh(es) in the prefab? ie Click on 'pasted_polySurface03' under your selection in the bottom screenshot. Normally you should see the name of the mesh in the 'Mesh' spot. Do you see that name or do you see 'Missing'? I've run into this before and can't remember how I fix it. A TEMP solution if it is missing is to go in and manually select the mesh from Project.

I'll keep an eye on if this happens to me again and try to find a good repro. You might also want to try messing with settings in the fbx meta like turning on and off optimize mesh - see if any of that 'kickstarts' it into seeing the mesh.

[EDIT] Oh! Check to see if the hierarchy has changed in your maya scene. Maybe the path/grouping being different is causing this problem. You *should* be able to change things around hierarchy-wise but sometimes I find I break things this way. ESPECIALLY with rigs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  7. Neolightl

Neolightl

Teessider from Polycount halped me out and solved the issue!

In Maya, I had renamed the OUTLINER name of the object that I selected to export as the fbx file. Unity doesn't like it when names of submeshes in an fbx file differ from previous files.

Making sure the name of the object in Maya's outliner lined up with the previous object in Unity saved the day.

Thanks for everyone's help.