Search Unity

3D Models

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by The Creator 2012, Apr 18, 2012.

1. The Creator 2012

The Creator 2012

Hey everyone I am new on the scene here but have been learning unity for quite a few months now and I must say I love this engine. My company's first game is a top down space shooter "Shmup". Paying respect to the old retro shmups that many of us have played as a child. I have images of some ships that were just created but I want to show them off and get some feedback. There will be a finished product by the end of the week and i will post if anyone is interested:)

Note I am willing to accept some criticism just go easy because I learned everything this year:cool:

2. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Nice job. How exactly do they fly? They can't just float there. Just a thought.

3. 3d techno

3d techno

space... lol

4. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

they still have to have thrusters and whatnot.

5. bgivenb

bgivenb

Good luck with that

6. Micah_Rogers

Micah_Rogers

@bgivenb: I think he means a finished model.

7. bgivenb

bgivenb

ah ok. Well good luck anyway. :)

8. The Creator 2012

The Creator 2012

Thanks to all those that showed support or stated an opinion because your thoughts have been heard. Here are some updates of models.

9. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

looks like some of your smoothing groups need work

10. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

yes as jlcnz has mentioned your edges need to tweaked . I dont know what software you are using but the rules of smoothing should be the same. the black shading artifacts you see all around the edge of your stingray shaped spaceship are as a result of the smoothing process encountering faces that share an edge with a huge angle difference. I use blender and we have a edge split modifier which can discern when to smooth and when not according to a specified threshold angle or it can be set to use edges that have been marked as sharp , which is something you manually do to the edges in edit mode. What this modifier is doing is when a sharp edge is needed it creates a second set of vertices at the edge so each face can have its own edge/vertices with a correct normal direction which allows proper shading.

11. The Creator 2012

The Creator 2012

Thanks for the advice!!!! Those screens were not final though. I just take shots in the creation process not totally in the finished stage. I know it might be weird but I like to show off the whole creation in a way from start to finish. I really do appreciate everyone's advice and tips. I thank you guys very much for it. Here is a test stage that we created. Of course it's not final and things will be a lot different but we wanted everyone to see our idea of gameplay.

12. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I was going to say the models looked pretty rough up top...but seeing it in game it looks pretty good. Keep it up!

13. zbrushsculptor

zbrushsculptor

Amazing what and atmosphere and a texture will do ehh >? How many polys or tri's are they ??? Always interested as I am a zbrush artist and am interested in doing work for unity users ... I can do a very low poly model like that in a few minutes and seeing that it comes out that well in unity ... I will have to start offering my services.,.. doing high poly to low poly with normal maps in zbrush is just one of the ways to get great looking models in Unity ...

14. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

If you use the student version of maya for commercial purposes, you're going to have a bad time.