Search Unity

3D models, how do you create them?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Augu144, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Augu144

Augu144

Hello people of the unity community,
    I wonder how can i make a 3d model that fits to unity, means which programs should i learn to work with and what kind of file formats should i learn to work with.
    Best wishes, Sahar.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Unity can read all common 3d file formats (and some uncommon ones). So, find a modeler that suits you. If you're on a Mac, I recommend Cheetah3d. If not, many people seem to use Blender.

Be patient and prepared to invest some serious time into building up 3d modeling skills.

3. game_buddy

game_buddy

Hi there,

Adobe Fuse might be a solution for you; it makes it possible to create, customize and animate 3D characters; you can then import them into Unity. As far as i know, it is free. This tutorial covers the basics of creating, animating, and importing 3D models.

I have used Fuse in the past, and found it both easy-to-use and quick to create/animate models with.

Hope this helps.

4. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

If you can find it free or cheap, Autodesk Maya 3D is good, they use it on my animation course, or of course Blender.

There's also 3D Studio Max, but I gather that's rather expensive as it's high end kit.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

FBX is the latest industry standard. Unity supports more file formats but that's the one to keep an eye out for. If the modeler you choose supports FBX then you're pretty much good to go.

JoeStrout likes this.