Search Unity

3d Models, full character or separate ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by narf03, Nov 12, 2016.

1. narf03

narf03

Currently im planning to create a game, ill need characters like:-
    Archer
    Swordman
    Spearman
    Etc

Each of them will have different type of equipment like
    No armor
    Light armor
    Heavy armor
    ---
    Short bow
    Long bow
    ---
    Short sword
    Long sword
    ---
    Spear

OK lets focus on archer alone, if i use 3d model that has the entire character, that mean ill need to have:-
    Archer with No armor and short bow
    Archer with Light armor and short bow
    Archer with Heavy armor and short bow
    Archer with No armor and long bow
    Archer with Light armor and long bow
    Archer with Heavy armor and long bow

That mean i need to have 6 models for just archer alone

If i separate each body parts and put them into different gameobject and animate them, i can share parts, separate by
    head, body, left arm, right arm, left leg, right, short bow, long bow, short sword, long sword, spear, body with no armor, body with light armor, body with heavy armor

If like that i can assemble all types the characters either with prefab or code then animate them

Which approach i should use and what advantages and disadvantages i should be aware of ?

Thanks.

2. hopeful

hopeful

There's also possibly more to think about. Like, will your game have FX that are applied to the entire body of the character, like dissolve, alpha fade, or maybe applying a covering of ice or fire? If so, it would be easier to do it if you are using a single material for the entire character. If you are using multiple materials, then you need to apply the FX to each one separately, and that may not look right (depending on the effect).

Aside from that, plugins you might research to see how they handle character modification are UMA2 (free), MCS (free), and Mount Points (not free, but you can review the documentation and videos online).

3. narf03

narf03

how much it would cost me if i ask somebody(thats not too bad) to create me those full characters each ? i did to look in asset store, they seems have different draw styles, different quality, or rigged differently.

4. hopeful

hopeful

I don't know, but custom art is more expensive than Unity store art. I'd suggest that you do all the development you can with free art, and then when you're nearing the finish of your project you can set about getting the custom character art ... since by then you'll know exactly what your game needs.

5. narf03

narf03

ya good idea, i think ill just skip ALL of them for the moment, just using some free or even basic 3d object like cube to represent, see if it worth investing at the end.

hopeful likes this.