Search Unity

3D Modeling program for FBX and Unity?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LarryP, Sep 18, 2011.

1. LarryP

LarryP

I'm new to Unity, but a long time programmer. I can't afford 3DS or the full Maya programs.My dilemma is this:

FragMotion imports FBX but won't export.
    Maya PLE 8.5 will import FBX but not export.
    Blender 2.5 will not import FBX but will export.
    SoftImage XSI 7.5 imports and exports FBX but I've read there can be problems.

What is the best 3D modeling program for working with Unity and FBX?

Thanks very much for any help here as I have been testing these programs for days and am a bit frustrated now. :(

Also, I came from testing many SDK's and I find Unity to be the best for me so far. Very impressive... :D

2. MrBurns

MrBurns

Just download the educational versions of Autodesk ^^. But if you later want to sell your game (I guess it takes a while) you will probably have to think about buying them...

Otherwise Blender seems fine...

3. ivanzu

ivanzu

Get blender

4. dbryson

dbryson

5. LarryP

LarryP

I had previously thought I had to be a student to use Maya or 3ds but there is an unemployed option which I chose. Now I have to decide between the two. Things sure have changed fast. I have both Maya and 3ds installed and I think I prefer Maya 2012.

6. LarryP

LarryP

Thanks very much for your help. I downloaded the addon for Blender, but now I have Maya and 3ds instead. Blender is a great program and I used it a few years ago for a while. Thanks again.

7. Moonjump

Moonjump

Another free option is Wings 3D which allows FBX importing and exporting.