Search Unity

3D modeling from 2d pictures

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sokr3, May 23, 2013.

1. Sokr3

Sokr3

Hello everyone, i am new at 3D modeling and tbh i have never did any programming or modeling with 3D.

I got one exam on college where i need to make 3D model from 30 - 40 2D pictures sections. program need to be made in 3 parts.

1st gather 30 - 40 2D pictures, section of some object

2nd make 3D display from thoose 2D pictures,

3rd try to cut one part of that 3D model and then try to interpolate that missing part with some of the methods that program already have or some other method that i can use

object is not specific same like program which i need to use. I can choose both object and program by myself. i got offers in matlab, c, or c++ but i know only basics in those programs

now i hope i did explain this correctly because my english is not my primary language. If anyone have any advice or need more details how to start and what program to use or can help with making this for me (details we will do in private) contact me over mail kksokr3@gmail.com or u can put reply in thread and i will contact u.

thx in advance

2. JonnyHilly

JonnyHilly

well part 1 and 2 you could do easily in unity....
    1)
    specify file path and file name, and load all the files, assuming they canve consecutive numbers... e.g. pic000, pic001, pic002 etc....

2)
    make each image loaded a unity texture
    choose one color to make transparent and use transparent blend particle shader/material. (so its viewable from both sides)
    add each material to a plane, and show all the planes in 3d, with slight separation space between each one.
    add a camera that spins around, so it looks sexy and 3D (even though its just a collection of 2D images)

part 3) is where you get into the more tricky stuff. There are many ways you could represent the result in 3D...
    The easiest way would be Voxels
    one 3D box per pixel in your layered image, or maybe one box per 10x10 pixel area, depending on the resolution of the images provided. This would be pretty easy to do in unity, though more complex to remove any internal hidden boxes.

complex way would be to find edges in your images, then do procedural polygon generation "lofting" each image to the next
    , but hard to know if this would be viable without seeing the images you are given. do the images have color, gradient brightness, or only outlines etc...

This should at least give you some good ideas how to proceed regardless of language you choose.
    good luck ;)