Search Unity

3D Modeling and Unity

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Jeromeyers, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Jeromeyers

Jeromeyers

I'm quite new to computer graphics. I've watched several tutorials and have a basic question. I want to create a game that has a big cactus in it. I could maybe go buy one or find one but I wanted to get some practice with actual modeling. In the tutorials, say the Survival Shooter tutorial, the 3D models seem to have been built in another tool and imported into Unity. My question boils down to: is this the required workflow for creating reusable 3D models?

If not, how does one go about creating a 3D model that could be imported into different games or shared independently of the game I'm initially developing it for? Is there a tutorial someone could point me to? I looked, but nothing seemed relevant.

2. topofsteel

topofsteel

Typically all models in Unity were created in 3rd party programs like 3dsMax, Maya or Blender. Blender is free and popular, but I don't have any experience with it. After it is created you bring it into Unity and use it in your game. You will need to become proficient in a 3D modeling program, for starters.

3. OllyNicholson

OllyNicholson

Unity Technologies

There is a wealth of resources on-line for learning to model, many of which are relevant to specific packages like Max and Blender and some of which are more general. You can try Googling: CGTUTS, 3D Modeling tutorials etc and find your way around. You can of course also model inside Unity using one of the many extensions available through the asset store:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/category/106/page/1/sortby/popularity

Many of which may be easier to use than learning a whole modelling package from scratch, but it all depends what you want to learn. Good luck and have fun!

4. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Here's a brief overview (GIMP -> Blender -> Unity). It's a character model so there's some rigging and animation, but it shows the general workflow.

5. Jeromeyers

Jeromeyers

Thanks a lot everyone, that was some good information to get me going.

OllyNicholson likes this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

There are several other 3D modeling packages also but the most commonly used are (my preferred) Max, Maya and Blender.
    Blender is free which is nice but it has some 'odd' processes you have to get accustomed to.
    There is also Maya LT which is offered in several places including Steam. I believe it is 19/month? It's basically a stripped down version of Maya - having tools dedicated only for creating games. I watched a QnA session on Maya LT and the presenters stated, among others, Maya LT does not have rendering capability. But for the price it's an awesome offering, though I prefer Max. Wish they had a Max LT version.

Good luck modeling!

7. delinx32

delinx32

sketchup free is also very nice for learning to model. I found the 3ds max and blender interfaces very overwhelming. I'm learning to work in 3d with sketchup, and hopefully will be able to pick up a more robust 3d modeling interface once I'm used to working in 3d space.