Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Model Shadow Issue

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by sumeeton, Mar 27, 2015.

1. sumeeton

sumeeton

I think this is a noob question and must have been posted earlier too. But just bear with me for time being and any help is appreciated. A guy made few models in Maya and exported it to OBJs. When I imported it in Unity, I found shadows away from the meshes. I don't know much about 3D modelling, but is it because the objects are made from different meshes in Maya? Or something else? In unity, it appears as a single mesh. I have attached a screenshot from the Game view.

Attached Files:

2. -Singularity-

-Singularity-

Under model import settings, try switching from 'import normals' to 'calculate normals'

Does that help?

3. sumeeton

sumeeton

Nope, it didn't. Here's the building model.

Attached Files:

4. -Singularity-

-Singularity-

I'll take a look tomorrow for you, I won't be able to access it until then unfortunately.

Does the model look fine with shadows turned off?

5. peteorstrike

peteorstrike

Unity Technologies

Two quick fixes are to lower the bias on the scene's directional light or to lower the size of the first shadow cascade split to increase the shadow quality up-close.

You can see the effect of lowering both here (you can see the bias setting on the right hand side); http://gyazo.com/e941c920febb43067e1e3491bbb4a8f3

sumeeton likes this.
  6. sumeeton

sumeeton

Yes, it looks fine without the shadows.

7. sumeeton

sumeeton

@peterostrike You got a cool shadow. I tried lowering the bias, it did help but didn't look as neat as yours. Then I tried lowering the size of first shadow cascade split. Still not as much good as you did. What am I missing? What size is your first shadow cascade split?