Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

3D model assetbundle load time in Windows vs UWP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by madhur, Oct 9, 2019.

1. madhur

madhur

Hi,

We have a Unity app which is built for Windows as an exe. One major feature there is loading 3D models as assetbundles and displaying them. We have been using this for several years now and performance has been good for loading large models (.fbx files of 100mb or more).

Now we are doing a UWP app with similar features and thought of using Unity for that as well since the performance was good earlier. But after building the uwp app from Unity and loaded the assetbundles, it seems to be much slower than how it was with the Windows built. For smaller models it is not noticeable since they load in couple of seconds. But when it comes to very large models taking closer to a minute or so, it seems to be taking around 3 times than it was taking in the exe app.

(Checked using the same assetbundle loading code for both UWP and Windows builds and used the same assetbundle file which was built for UWP)

Is that is how it works in UWP or is there anything I can do it make it faster in UWP?

Thank you.

2. Ryanc_unity

Ryanc_unity

Unity Technologies

Not a known issue, the code path it takes to load an asset bundle on Windows Standalone vs UWP shouldn't be all that different. Please submit a fogbug report for the issue with a repro project to make sure we are looking at the same setup you are.

3. madhur

madhur

Thanks @Ryanc_unity
    In my project all I have is the attached script added to the main camera.
    Then I build it for both Windows and UWP. Settings are as in the attached png.
    In the Windows build, it loads in about 5-6 secs and in the UWP app it takes about 15 secs

Thank you.

Attached Files:

4. Ryanc_unity

Ryanc_unity

Unity Technologies

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

One thing to double check is that you're not building generated VS project in Debug configuration. That will kill performance.

madhur likes this.
  6. madhur

madhur

Thanks. Actually that was the issue. I opened a bug for this and then figured out it was causing the delay. When I ran in release mode it worked fine.