Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Menus In-Game

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Cosmas, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Cosmas

Cosmas

I'm trying to figure out the logic of a mechanic I was interested in toying with. Perhaps someone is familiar with it. Quake 4 had a minor mechanic where the user would interact with consoles throughout the game world without breaking out of FPS control, the crosshair would change to a mouse cursor and select options on the computer model's gui, and do general things like open doors, turn on things, etc.

Anyone have any ideas on how this might work?

2. Jesse Anders

Jesse Anders

I believe the EZGui library (I think that's what it's called) offers this functionality out of the box. If you want to do it yourself though, it shouldn't be too hard.

I can think of at least a couple of approaches you could take to this:

1. Make the interactive in-game controls individual game objects with colliders, and use physics raycasting to determine which of them (if any) the player has clicked.

2. Place the in-game controls on a polygon or other surface. Raycast against this surface and perform an inverse transform to yield a 2-d local-space pick point. Test the pick point against the local-space bounds of the controls on the surface (which you would have to define). Take the appropriate action based on which control is clicked.

3. Cosmas

Cosmas

Thanks Jesse,

I bought the library, and I'll give it a whirl.

EDIT:
    Also stumbled on this thread. This also covers the same concept.