Search Unity

3d Habbo-like game? GoodIdea?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by towcar, Dec 5, 2009.

1. towcar

towcar

I'm not trying, don't get me wrong. Though the makers I beleive have made a great profit with the game with people buying credits and ads and people commercialling info in-game like special events.

If you did the exact game only in 3d, do you think you could get the same response in profitability and popularity?

Some factors that may effect, load times, catchy style, camera angles, ect ect.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

habbo only works because it was the first of its kind half a decade ago (and event though this holds, habbo recently had to put up tv spots to get enough publicity again)
    If it started by now, it would be a granted death birth actually as the market is too crowded.
    There are already a plentitude of 2D, iso and 3D chats

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I agree with dreamora, half the success of Habbo was it's uniqueness (and I know this as I've known the Sulake guys for years via my time on the Director team at Macromedia). Now it's not so unique so I wouldn't necessarily expect the same results.

That having been said, none of it is about 2D versus 3D, it's about delivering game play that users find engaging and I think that's possible with whateverD you want to go with as that's just a presentation layer.

4. towcar

towcar

Ok, that all makes good sense. The whole idea behind the 3d would make it stand out as new and flashy, like to add something.

With that I think that the market Habbo had set into is now alot fuller with more social games. Which making it a not-easy market to jump into.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Also you must not forget that there are various 3d incarnations of similar things already and even more are in development.

On 3D you especially have to concurrent with Second Life, which while beeing total crap (I've a high end machine am on 20mbit downstream but the game still stutters and the input is laggy and similar laughable stuff) still has its loving fans.

On the other hand, now with 3D and as it is 2009, you have the option to take advantage of existing systems in that direction. There is a server technology you could use for which a basic unity implementation for the client already exists too (no, not Project DarkStar. Was called something else and can be used with SL clients when I remember right but can't remember its name :( ), so you would have a basic platform to start from to create your own dream project.