Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3D game made out of 2D art

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Mika_Do, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Mika_Do

Mika_Do

Hi all!

I recently had an idea about a game I could make, and since I'm not the best at 3D modeling I thought I would make a 2D game. But then I came across an idea: creating a 3D game, made out of 2D art.

The game would use 3D characters rendered with a toon shader to make them look like drawings, and they would move in a world completely made out of sprites/2D art. The floor would be flat (horizontal) like a normal ground, but objects would be images put vertically with colliders put behind them for collision.

This would make the design process a lot faster and easier for me to created a good looking game.

My questions are: Does anyone know any tutorial on this style? I have an issue with the camera for example: I'd like it to be slightly up (looking at the player), but even orthographic has some kind of perspective which makes the floor look stretched... Is there any way of creating a camera that has 0 perspective? So the horizontal floor would look just flat next to the vertical objects/environment?

Thank you already for your replies!

2. Mika_Do

Mika_Do

I think I figured what I did wrong... I'm working on a isometric grid, which is already rotated and this might create a visual effect of streched. I'll try making a regular grid and see what the result will be