Search Unity

Official 3D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, May 9, 2018.

1. gshabanov

gshabanov

I just installed 3d game kit and it asked me to update my probuilder in unity 2019.1.2f1
    when i load level 1 and try to play i see the image below and text telling me how to navigate but camera shows nothing. Its just a black screen. Any help appreciated

UltimateCodeWarrior likes this.
  2. gshabanov

gshabanov

I think issue might be with shaders found this https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/issues/789

3. TheLetterS

TheLetterS

Hi - How did you create the WaterDisc instance within the Z_AdditionalVertexStreams component on the Water GameObject? It looks like the instance is stored within the scene but I can't figure out how that instance was generated. Thanks!

4. UltimateCodeWarrior

UltimateCodeWarrior

5. UltimateCodeWarrior

UltimateCodeWarrior

After a long long download, long long conversion, didn't seem to work with Unity 2019.1.4f Personal. You guys are testing this right? Project would run, but no game objects in scene. Seems like some sort of conversion flub up.

6. UltimateCodeWarrior

UltimateCodeWarrior

I had the same problem with unity 2019.1.4f1 Personal on a 2014 IMac running the latest OS. Surprised the guys releasing Unity 2019 didn't try to load this project before the pushed their latest and greatest out. They really should make sure it's backward compatible, it's highly/contemptibly Irresponsible to not do so as it invalidates a lot of good tutorials and demos.

7. TheLetterS

TheLetterS

@UltimateCodeWarrior Was this in answer to me? I've been through the guides and there isn't anything related to the water setup.

8. UltimateCodeWarrior

UltimateCodeWarrior

Have you tested this Game Kit on a Mac running the latest 2019 version of Unity? It won't even import, I just filed a crash bug, and then it crashed the Mac. This is very frustrating to people like me trying to learn the "Unity System", to have to cope with a bunch of unvetted, untested code. The Unity team should be keenly interested in feedback on all tutorials, but there is no [IT DOESNT WORK] button on the tutorials anywhere. If nothing else, BUILD that into Unity so that it will forward all the pertinent information to you so your own testing team can verify and fix. Things like OS Version, Machine Type, Unity Version, Tutorial Version, etc... That way bug reports are comprehensive. There should also be a section to append screen captures as well as any OS Crash logs to further assist the development team.

9. UltimateCodeWarrior

UltimateCodeWarrior

Not related, but If I do stumble across anything related to water setup, I will forward it on to you.

TheLetterS likes this.
  10. TonyC

TonyC

Hello, I've imported 3D Game Kit into my 2019.3.04a Personal and I can play the levels fine, however when I go to Kit Tools > Create New Scene, enter a level name (e.g. MyLevel) and hit 'Create' it doesn't create a new scene. Instead it creates a folder called MyLevel.unity containing LightingData, and two Reflection probes, and the currently loaded level (level1) remains loaded with the error message "ArgumentException: Scene file not found: 'Assets/MyLevel.unity'"

There is more info to the error, but I can't seem to paste it in this message as the forum tells me it looks like spam :(

So it seems there's a bug here, as this isn't the behaviour shown in the Quick Start tutorial video.

Tigromvivo and myvo like this.
  11. unity_NoZw8jZ2_67trw

unity_NoZw8jZ2_67trw

I see there is a pistol prefab, how can we implement this into the game and give it to Ellen?

12. rickblacker

rickblacker

Going through the tutorial.
    https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/3d...4897edbc2a001fd5bdd0#5c7f8528edbc2a002053b74a

First, I added the acid pond, added the Death Volume. Ellen won't die unless I raise the acid pond above the ground. Plus, she just walks on top of the pond, shouldn't she submerge into the water/acid pond? This happens with our without the Death Volume.

Second, where I've altered the terrain, Ellen seems to walk through the ground as can be seen in the picture. I suspect this is more of an issue with ProBuilder, which I'm very new to.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

InGround.PNG

13. impheris

impheris

The tutorial did not said that, so i figured out
    You have to bake vertex streams. GO to: tools > PolyBrush > Bake vertex streams

rickblacker likes this.
  14. impheris

impheris

So i have 2 questions...

1- Can i use this kit to make my own game by just replacing 3d art and make my own levels?

if (awnser is yes) {

2- Is there any toturial or documentation on how to replace the objects for my owns?
    }

Because i tried and it did not work (in some cases)

Sorry for the joke :p

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  15. spowl

spowl

Hi all, I'm new to Unity and have spent some time debugging this project to get it working in the latest alpha build of Unity (2019.3.0a5). I currently have it up and running perfectly with no errors in the console. I'm on Windows 10. AMD FX-4350, 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, GTX 780Ti, if any of that matters. I could suggest all of these changes as commits to the repo, but I feel like going through the motions and problem solving was a great way for me to gain experience with fixing issues in Unity. For beginners coming to this project, I'll make up a guide here and explain my reasoning for each step. This should work for any 2019.x stable build as of this writing.

Step 1: Start the project
    Download the project through Unity Hub, set the target version to what you're using and launch. It will now begin the import process. This will take a LONG time depending on your hardware. Hang tight.

Step 2: Upgrade packages
    This is the first part of "modernizing" this project. First of all, the packages are crazy outdated, and if you're using this as a learning experience you'll want the latest and greatest, right? Second, these packages were added to this project before Unity's Package Manager was added. With the current versions of Unity, many of these packages are incompatible and broken. We'll be going to Window (in the toolbar) and then to "Package Manager." For the packages that we will be replacing, it's important to uninstall the legacy package, THEN install the updated package.

First package is "Google Resonance Audio." This package didn't even show as installed for me, so I didn't have to uninstall it. Just install the latest version. This may clear out the "resonance audio" error in the console, or it may not clear until you restart the editor.

Next is "Cinemachine." Uninstall the old, install the new. Do the same for "ProBuilder," "Post Processing" and "TextMesh Pro." You can update the other packages optionally, this is all you need to get the game to build successfully. You'll notice after doing ProBuilder, you have more console errors. Yay! We'll address this later.

Step 3: Update API Scripting Language
    This project uses an outdated version of .NET framework. If you attempt to play and exit a scene, it will update this on it's own, or you can do it manually by going to Edit > Project Settings > Player > Other Settings and scroll down to API Scripting Language. Set it to ".NET 4.x" It's not crazy important to know the nitty gritty about this one, as Unity 2018 and beyond will set this default correctly. When we get .NET 5.x, this will likely be the way to do it.

Step 3.5: Save a local copy of your project
    The editor has to restart to update the scripting language. Just accept it and choose a save location. If you get an error such as "A file is being used" or the rather hilarious "The operation completed successfully. Retry?" error I got, you have to close the Unity Hub application, by force if necessary. Then just hit retry. These errors occur when saving copies of projects from Unity Hub's learn tab only, you shouldn't encounter this on your own projects.

Don't open the editor just yet.

Step 4: ProBuilder and Assembly Definitions
    A while back, Unity started using something called "Assembly Definitions" which is a big complicated thing I still don't fully understand, just commit two things to your knowledge right now: They speed up the compilation process, and they're optional in your own project but for this one we NEED it. This is where it gets complicated.

Here is the link to the official documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptCompilationAssemblyDefinitionFiles.html

Reading that is optional now, but once you have a better grasp on these concepts you should read it later on for your own projects.

Now, you may have noticed an error in the console after updating ProBuilder. Something about the pb_Editor namespace not existing and asking if you missed an assembly definition. There are two parts to fixing this. The first is creating your assembly definition, or asmdef file. This will let you use these definitions in your scripts. Sweet! You can learn all about this, or you can use the official example file, which works just fine for this project. To force you to learn, I'm not direct linking to the file, but I'll link to the example code in a pastebin here: https://pastebin.com/CxSSV7py

You'll want to copy that into an empty Notepad (or Notepad++) file and save it as "Unity.Probuilder.asmdef"
    I saved it to <project folder>/Assets/3DGameKit/Scripts/Editor but I don't know if the exact location really matters. If it saved with a .txt extension at the end, remove it so it ends in .asmdef.

For me when I did this, Unity didn't actually populate the asmdef until I closed and reopened the editor. I don't know if this is normal behavior, but that's why I had you keep the editor closed earlier. You can open it now.

You'll notice that console error didn't go away. No worries! We're diving into our first C# script now. The reason for this is that in the 4.0.0 update, ProBuilder shuffled around some of it's classes. It's a simple fix. We're going to open the script <project folder>/Assets/3DGameKit/Scripts/Editor/NewSceneCreator.cs

When I try to open this from the editor, it opens something completely different and I can't figure out why. Maybe someone will chime in with an answer. Until then, just open it from Windows Explorer/Finder/Linux Filesystem. It should open your IDE.

Look for Line 7, which should say, "using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;". Press enter at the end of it to create a new line.

Now on Line 8, type, "using UnityEngine.ProBuilder;". This tells the scripts we're using classes from ProBuilder, which it can now find thanks to our asmdef file.

Now scroll down to line 61. This is where our error is, thanks to this class being renamed in that ProBuilder update. Notice it has "pb_Editor" with the IDE underlining it, which indicates an error. You'll want to edit the line so that it looks like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. GetWindow<UnityEditor.ProBuilder.ProBuilderEditor>();
    Save the file, return to Unity and it'll reimport a bunch of stuff. This won't take nearly as long as the first time. If everything went right, when it's done you'll see some more buttons added to the toolbar and a whopping ZERO console errors. Hooray!

The project is now playable but there's one last step we should take as good practice.

Step 5: Cleanup (updating some deprecated classes)
    There's another script that contains a few classes that have been deprecated. That means they now use a different class and the old ones (used in this project) will be removed in future updates. When that happens, your project will no longer compile. That script is in <project folder>/Assets/3DGameKit/Packages/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs

Open that, again from your file explorer. Scroll down to line 224. Notice again the underline, but this time a different color. This means its not a critical error, but something you should still fix. Edit it so it looks like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. SceneView.duringSceneGui -= OnSceneGUI;
    Now look at line 225. It has the same thing going on! But this time, right click the underlined section and in the context menu, click "Quick Actions and Refactoring" and it will actually suggest the correct solution to you! You can click the suggestion or hit enter and it will automatically apply it. Note: This only applies if you're using Visual Studio Community. If using another editor, manually edit the line just like you did for 224.

Repeat either step on line 246 and save.

That's it, your project should be good to go! Let me know if there are still errors after following this tutorial and I'll look into it.

closingiris, Bentoon, spnkie and 2 others like this.
  16. impheris

impheris

17. Spikebor

Spikebor

dear dev that make camera movement and character movement, here are some feedback :
    while playing the game, i feel like im a stupid female, one of a kind.
    why ? i just slide drop by a few centimetres but i play the fall animation, is it just too over the top? it is the problem with fall height vs animation.
    same problem, when i try to run forward but i cant, why ? because there is a platform just a few centimetres higher than my feet, so i must perform a jump to move out of the way.
    when im too near a wall, the camera just shaky too much.
    the assets are beautiful, but the control make user angry. again in game making let us agree that control is one of the most important part, even on top of the visual.

18. rickblacker

rickblacker

Yep, that fixed it!!! :)

19. impheris

impheris

20. impheris

impheris

Is this project compatible with hdrp pipeline?
    i try to use HDRP render but i can not make it work, all objects dissappear (i mean, completly disappear, not turning violet)

i follow tutorials froms brackeys, getting stared tutorials and nothing...

21. myvo

myvo

I have the exact same problem. Trying to install 3D Game Kit on a Mac. Looks like it doesn't work. Can't seem to create a scene using Kit Tools. Regular create scene seems to work, but I can't follow the tutorial.

22. spnkie

spnkie

Same here (2019.3.0a5), after getting past the error for Cinemachine where I had to update it from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4, I try creating a new scene like the tutorial says but always the same error :
    Scene file not found : 'Assets/test1.uity'.

spowl do you know by any chance what we can do or at least try?

23. spowl

spowl

What do you mean? Did you follow my guide on getting it set up?

I've run into the same issue with the scene creator not working. Not entirely sure why that happened. An easy workaround is to go to the scenes folder and find the "Template" scene. This is pretty much what the scene creator will make with default settings. Just duplicate that and use it to follow the official Unity tutorial.

24. Scimajor

Scimajor

Did you even get this fixed? If not, an easy work around is simply to make a new prefab from the working platform from level 2 and use that. Works like a charm.

25. kilik128

kilik128

you say Minor fixes
    we say we want Major update !

Player need walk on water
    for player beleve in Unity...

after that's trolling is awesome
    you can troll my bash kit if you want

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  26. Jeremi360

Jeremi360

Is legal to make port of this asset for other game engine?

27. bodejohnv

bodejohnv

Trying to change the transition type from transition point script, i want to teleport to a different scene but i cant

Attached Files:

28. ZachLHelms

ZachLHelms

Getting an issue on a mac where the scene game window wont render correctly. Screenshot below. The bad rendering you see in the scene window happens in the scene and game window, and flickers wildly, or renders other erroneous stuff.

maxbook pro 2014, OSX El Capiton
    2.5ghz i7, 16gb 1600mhz ddr3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048mb

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 9.16.44 PM.png

29. mas97id

mas97id

can i download manually?

30. bodejohnv

bodejohnv

Good day, im new in unity game kit.anyone got any tutorial how to use reflection probe ?free level 1 scene got reflection on the water but i cant do it in my newly created scene

31. Dev4Rush

Dev4Rush

Can someone tell me please, why 3d game kit, 2d game kit as well as many tutorials from Unity Learn require Unity 2019.1 or higher?

32. laelcohen

laelcohen

33. Niyazmohammad

Niyazmohammad

Any SAVE AND LOAD SYSTEM in this kit for Levels

34. leftshoe18

leftshoe18

Does anybody know how I can change the attack range of melee enemies?

Edit: There's a variable hidden in the behavior scripts for the enemies called attackDistance. Delete the [System.NonSerialized] block before it and it will show up in the inspector.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  35. Zordecs

Zordecs

Hi there! Please check out my work based on 3D Game Kit:

Jeea84, Mayteka and JacekMackiewicz like this.
  36. AndyTruman

AndyTruman

Nicely documented tutorial!

37. conceptfac

conceptfac

How to use the Custom/Terrain shader in another objects, I tried vertex painted but don't works correcly, only in property assets!

upload_2019-8-31_2-53-55.png

38. VeggieVampire

VeggieVampire

Need a little help using mobile inputs. I have everything working but TurnAndLookTouchpad. I did have to mod the PlayerInput.cs script in the 3d-game-kit. Also, I am using Unity's CrossPlatformInput for DualTouchControls prefab. I'm sure some expert could find my issue in a few seconds but I am no expert by any means.
    Code below.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using Gamekit3D;
    5. using UnityStandardAssets.CrossPlatformInput;
    8. public class PlayerInput : MonoBehaviour
    9. {
    10.     public static PlayerInput Instance
    11.     {
    12.         get { return s_Instance; }
    13.     }
    15.     protected static PlayerInput s_Instance;
    17.     [HideInInspector]
    18.     public bool playerControllerInputBlocked;
    20.     protected Vector2 m_Movement;
    21.     protected Vector2 m_Camera;
    22.     protected bool m_Jump;
    23.     protected bool m_Attack;
    24.     protected bool m_Pause;
    25.     protected bool m_ExternalInputBlocked;
    27.     public Vector2 MoveInput
    28.     {
    29.         get
    30.         {
    31.             if(playerControllerInputBlocked || m_ExternalInputBlocked)
    32.                 return Vector2.zero;
    33.             return m_Movement;
    34.         }
    35.     }
    37.     public Vector2 CameraInput
    38.     {
    39.         get
    40.         {
    41.             if(playerControllerInputBlocked || m_ExternalInputBlocked)
    42.                 return Vector2.zero;
    43.             return m_Camera;
    44.         }
    45.     }
    47.     public bool JumpInput
    48.     {
    49.         get { return m_Jump && !playerControllerInputBlocked && !m_ExternalInputBlocked; }
    50.     }
    52.     public bool Attack
    53.     {
    54.         get { return m_Attack && !playerControllerInputBlocked && !m_ExternalInputBlocked; }
    55.     }
    57.     public bool Pause
    58.     {
    59.         get { return m_Pause; }
    60.     }
    62.     WaitForSeconds m_AttackInputWait;
    63.     Coroutine m_AttackWaitCoroutine;
    65.     const float k_AttackInputDuration = 0.03f;
    67.     void Awake()
    68.     {
    69.         m_AttackInputWait = new WaitForSeconds(k_AttackInputDuration);
    71.         if (s_Instance == null)
    72.             s_Instance = this;
    73.         else if (s_Instance != this)
    74.             throw new UnityException("There cannot be more than one PlayerInput script.  The instances are " + s_Instance.name + " and " + name + ".");
    75.     }
    78.     void Update()
    79.     {
    80.         m_Movement.Set(CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis("Horizontal"), CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis("Vertical"));
    81.         //m_Movement.Set(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"), Input.GetAxis("Vertical"));
    82.         m_Camera.Set(CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis( "Mouse X" ), CrossPlatformInputManager.GetAxis( "Mouse Y" ));
    83.         //m_Camera.Set(Input.GetAxis("Mouse X"), Input.GetAxis("Mouse Y"));
    84.         m_Jump = CrossPlatformInputManager.GetButton("Jump");
    85.         //m_Jump = Input.GetButton("Jump");
    88.             //if (Input.GetButtonDown("Fire1"))
    89.         if (CrossPlatformInputManager.GetButton("Fire"))
    90.         {
    91.             if (m_AttackWaitCoroutine != null)
    92.                 StopCoroutine(m_AttackWaitCoroutine);
    94.             m_AttackWaitCoroutine = StartCoroutine(AttackWait());
    95.         }
    97.         m_Pause = Input.GetButtonDown ("Pause");
    98.     }
    100.     IEnumerator AttackWait()
    101.     {
    102.         m_Attack = true;
    104.         yield return m_AttackInputWait;
    106.         m_Attack = false;
    107.     }
    109.     public bool HaveControl()
    110.     {
    111.         return !m_ExternalInputBlocked;
    112.     }
    114.     public void ReleaseControl()
    115.     {
    116.         m_ExternalInputBlocked = true;
    117.     }
    119.     public void GainControl()
    120.     {
    121.         m_ExternalInputBlocked = false;
    122.     }
    123. }
    UPDATE: Found out the code works. There looks to be a bug when using the Unity Remote 5, rather than compiling an APK file. Since I compiled an APK and it works just fine.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  39. Tirick

Tirick

I'm very new to Unity, so I apologize if I am getting any terminology incorrect. I've successfully followed the first few stages of the tutorial for the 3D Kit, and played around with bringing stock assets into a new scene, but have run into an insurmountable issue with the next step. I have created a new scene, and added a new ProBuilder plane, but after painting it and adjusting the mesh I discovered that it would not interact with the player model, as though there were no collisions enabled. There is a mesh collider component on the object, and it references the mesh that is attached to the plane object (and it is checked) but the character model just falls right through the mesh.

I tested this with other Probuilder objects (cube, stairs) and they all behave the same (no collision, despite having a mesh collider). I can find no setting difference between the default new scene plane and the newly generated plane. Copying the default plane does seems to work, but that feels inefficient as a process (and doesn't resolve the issue). I've tested in both Unity 2018 and Unity 2019. The free store asset Probuilder appears to be at a different version number (the behaviour on the new shape tool works differently), but testing it in another empty project the mesh collider appears to work as normal. Any suggestions on investigating and resolving would be appreciated.

40. VeggieVampire

VeggieVampire

Just guessing here but for the gameobject with the mesh collider is the, "Is Trigger" checked?

41. Tirick

Tirick

No, that option is greyed out and unchecked. I've tested the ProBuilder package from the package manager that matches the one in the 3D Kit and the mesh collider works in a new project, using the Standard Assets for testing. For whatever reason it isn't working at all in the 3D Kit project, at least for me. At this point I'm not certain whether or not it is a bug. It is relatively easy, on my end, to replicate. I create a new Kit scene and create a ProBuilder object from the window. The standard cube (without alteration) does not act as a collision object and the character can run right through it. The same behaviour is in the stock same scenes.

42. lorddanger

lorddanger

Hey,
    I have few questions
    I have been playing with 3d kit I would like to know that the assets in the 3d kit can be used for a game ( commercial).?
    As I would like to that the rocks from the pack to my game...

43. espuertaxd

espuertaxd

Hello guys, I tried to trigger RawImage in cube, I am using setactive to enable and disable the RawImage using Ontrigger method, the character which is 'ellen' and the cube that supposed to be my trigger cube has Collider, and is trigger is on in the cube as well. But it doesn't trigger at all, I am confused why it doesn't trigger, the 3d game kit doesn't support triggering or maybe my syntax is not appropriate? Help me asap. Thank ya'll in advance!

44. KCook15

KCook15

Hello, so the 3d Game Kit is more or less everything I've been looking for, containing nearly all the individual game play components I needed executed cleanly and well documented. But, I'm having trouble with the Camera, I could just be spacing out, I am brushing up on my coding skills right now, but I'm having a bad time trying to change the Camera behavior. I'm trying to make it non player controlled, ultimately wanting to use Cinamachine virtual Camera's to shift the camera to the desired rotation around the character via state control, that I'm more or less confident in doing, but what I'm having trouble with is the camera system that's already there, the one piece of the kit I feel isn't that well documented or modularised as the rest of the code. Basically I'd like to sever the camera controller from the player controller, modifying the player controller so that it itself will detect camera rotation like most other third person controllers rather than being dependent on a separate script to tell it those values as is implemented in the Game Kit currently.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  45. unity_Lf05f7mSO7eQhw

unity_Lf05f7mSO7eQhw

Hello

currently learning unity/fmod and have assigned footstep sounds to the Ellen character and her run animation.

Footsteps are heard and the run animation occurs however the character no longer moves in any direction when running. Jumping with W,A,S or D pressed does cause the player to move, but not when the player is on the ground.

What component, script or whatever is responsible for the animation + movement synchronisation?

Any helps would be appreciated. thanks!

46. jsanpwell

jsanpwell

For anyone having trouble installing the 3d Game Kit...heres my solution.
    Start the kit from UNITY HUB!

Goto "Learn"...located along the left side menu
    Pick : "The Explorer: 3D Game Kit"...under the "PROJECTS" tab

I tried everything to get the kit to work but kept running into issues

47. espuertaxd

espuertaxd

Does anyone here knows how to fix this error? received_2364459530548945.jpeg

This is the error code:
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 2 errors at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x00234] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:190 at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x0007f] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor\Mono\BuildPlayerWindowBuildMethods.cs:96 UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Please help me

hiki55 likes this.
  48. closingiris

closingiris

Did you ever figure this out?

49. espuertaxd

espuertaxd

@Runemark Hi I am currently using 3d game kit, but the only thing that i can't seem to understand is how counter works, i mean i tried to copy the exact flow of counter with mobs in first second scene, like when you cleared all the mobs the door will open, can you please enlightened me how counter works? i did tried to copy the exact flow but it's not working. thank you runemark!

50. espuertaxd

espuertaxd

Hey, would it be okay if you share where did you get that Rhino-look-like beast? and that one hella face of a cave? Thanks