Search Unity

Official 3D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, May 9, 2018.

1. Trifecta

Trifecta

Is there an easy way to control the player's movement by code? Not by the walk and run animation.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

:D You are not supposed to use code in this project...

3. Trifecta

Trifecta

All my animations are "stand still." The character wont move unless the animations move and that's not good for design.

P_Jong likes this.
  4. DoctorMikeReddy

DoctorMikeReddy

Playing this with a controller is fun, except...
    ...the start and menu screens don't seem to recognise controller input. This is also true of the 2D Game Kit :-(
    How to fix the menu screens, so they can react to controller input?

Edit: Also noted that the X and Y are not inverted on the right joysticks, with no options to do this either, which would have been nice. Any ideas?

P.S. Am asking here as it is 'meant' to be a "no coding" kit. I will try to fix this myself, but thought it best to ask here, in case this needed to be added officially.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  5. benji_unity

benji_unity

I can not see the game kit menu. How go I fix this?.

unity_obN67lGlL02WRQ likes this.
  6. txeptsyip

txeptsyip

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Attach the following script to the Player/Parent Object.
    2. // Make sure the object has a Collider (Jump uses Gravity).
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. [RequireComponent(typeof(Rigidbody))]
    7. public class Movement : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     Rigidbody rb;
    11.     [Range(1, 100)]
    12.     public float moveSpeed = 5f, jumpForce = 5f;
    13.     public bool grounded = true;
    15.     public KeyCode
    16.         moveForward = KeyCode.W,
    17.         moveLeft = KeyCode.A,
    18.         moveBack = KeyCode.S,
    19.         moveRight = KeyCode.D,
    20.         moveJump = KeyCode.Space;
    22.     void Start ()
    23.     {
    24.         rb.GetComponent<Rigidbody>();
    25.         rb.constraints = RigidbodyConstraints.FreezeRotation;
    26.     }
    28.     void FixedUpdate ()
    29.     {
    30.         MovePlayer();
    31.     }
    33.     void MovePlayer ()
    34.     {
    35.         if (Input.GetKey(moveForward))
    36.         {
    37.             transform.Translate(moveSpeed * Vector3.forward * Time.fixedDeltaTime);
    38.         }
    39.         if (Input.GetKey(moveLeft))
    40.         {
    41.             transform.Translate(moveSpeed * Vector3.left * Time.fixedDeltaTime);
    42.         }
    43.         if (Input.GetKey(moveBack))
    44.         {
    45.             transform.Translate(moveSpeed * Vector3.back * Time.fixedDeltaTime);
    46.         }
    47.         if (Input.GetKey(moveRight))
    48.         {
    49.             transform.Translate(moveSpeed * Vector3.right * Time.fixedDeltaTime);
    50.         }
    51.         if (Input.GetKey(moveJump))
    52.         {
    53.             if (grounded == true)
    54.             {
    55.                 rb.AddForce(new Vector3(0, jumpForce, 0), ForceMode.Impulse);
    56.                 grounded = false;
    57.             }
    58.         }
    59.     }
    61.     void OnCollisionEnter (Collision hit)
    62.     {
    63.         grounded = true;
    64.     }
    65. }

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2018
  8. CodeKiwi

CodeKiwi

eye.PNG
    The shaders look great and I was trying to use them in another project. The left image is from the sample project while the right image is from a new project (used “Export package...” on the materials). Both projects use the same version of Unity, the screenshots are from the material browser but it looks the same when added to an object in an empty scene. All of the materials look different including the standard shaders. Am I missing a global setting? I tried changing it to deferred rendering and checked the lighting settings but I can’t get it to look the same.

Edit: Looks like it was the color space
    Player settings / Other Settings / Color space: Gamma => Linear

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  9. crawfis

crawfis

I am getting compiler errors for 2018.2.3f1 Personal:
    upload_2019-1-4_12-24-14.png

MirandaRensch likes this.
  10. Ivoryjw

Ivoryjw

Question, I only really want certain things from the 3d game kit for my project but I read on the UELA for the asset store that I cannot transfer or copy assets. Does that apply to scripts or separate aspects for the project or do I need to port the entire project to my game folder?

ZenOwl and thunderdawn like this.
  11. thunderdawn

thunderdawn

I second the question. I wanted to use some scripts, but my project is in Unity 2017 so I'd have to basically copy them. I'm not an asset flipper, just an artist making 3D games so I tend to buy assets to help with scripting.

ZenOwl likes this.
  12. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

Hi there, thanks for the Kit! is very helpful to learn the new work flow.
    I haven some insures bringing some stuff into Unity 2018.3, specially all about shaders show on pink.
    Tried to convert them with the "Update Materials to HDRP" Tool but didn't work.

The shaders im trying are the ones set in the Acid Pool and the bubble effects shaders as well.

Custom/Acid (Acid_Mat)
    Custom/BubbleBurst (Acid_Bubble_Mat)
    Custom/StandardCutout (Spitter_Acid_Particle_Mat)
    Particles/Standard Unlit (Smoke_Particle_Mat)

Way the don't work and how I can update them to make them work in Unity 2018.3 HDRP ?

Thanks a lot.

13. Ivoryjw

Ivoryjw

Custom shaders has to be rewritten in order to be used in LWRP/HDRP. Update materials to hdrp only works for standard shaders.

conceptfac likes this.
  14. LightMiner

LightMiner

Can someone please confirm which unity version does the last "3D game kit" version 1.7a works on? I literally installed every unity 2018 and it gives me a lot of red errors!

peteflett likes this.
  15. kbhumber

kbhumber

Hey all, I'm new to Unity. I've downloaded the kit, and have tried making several scenes under kit tools - new scene. I build a nice lay out, and every time I play the game, Ellen dies suddenly just from running on the terrain. She runs for a couple seconds and then dies..
    I've looked on my Plane inspector and am baffled by why this is happening. Any help would be seriously appreciated!!!

16. DaftPuzzler

DaftPuzzler

It's the DeathVolume object in the scene that's killing her when she touches it. It's a giant flat plane underneath the level. You need to move the DeathVolume object down in your scene underneath your ground a bit.

closingiris and P_Jong like this.
  17. Mogereo

Mogereo

Hello, I have downloaded Unity and try some Kit to learn how to use it but I'm quite disappointed of Unity.
    First : I try the 2D Game Kit (available on the Unity Hub) and I was force to stop 'cause an option wasn't there (Teleport character to an other scene). Sorry, but if I need to get a previous version of Unity to have this basic option, there is a problem. I try the game itself and teleportation works fine but how since there is no option for it ?
    Second : I was trying the 3D Game Kit just now and I try at first the Tutorial and at the very beginning I found a major problem with it : the camera is focus on Ellen's head and so the camera focus on the sky (can't go higher but only down and whatever I try, the camera is resetting it's position to top so, if you can't see her feet, you can't play). But I still try 'cause even if I don't test, I may learn with the Inspector and other stuff but it is so hard to move the camera on the edit screen to set object that it is a huge pain. Move forward then put the view down to move forward to set it normal too move downward or things like that, it's so painful to place object. I can use the Inspector but sorry, there is no ruler to help me to know the XYZ position.
    I also try the game and the camera is also set to Ellen's head and so up to the sky so you can't check were her feet is on. Why did the camera reset is position ? Why did the start position is up to the sky (so you see her but in front of the camera) ? Why don't you see the back and top of her head ?

And the important question : did this camera's matter is something that will be all on the way on all scene and project on Unity ?

I only speak of 3D and 2D Game Kit 'cause it's seems that there are related but the basic tutorial of Unity also have matter's like it doesn't get that I set the right value and doesn't go on to the next step at one point.

I'm quite disappointed of Unity for now. There is also the matter that it is SUPER SUPER SUPER long to charge Unity. Anything that required to start/restart it is so long. I don't have a basic computer, it cannot come from it.

18. P_Jong

P_Jong

I'm trying out the 3D Game Kit Lite. When I replace Ellen's animations for any of the combo attacks in the MeleeCombatSM, I can no longer break the Destructiblebox prefabs. The animations look good. The controller is all working. The attack points are colliding with the destructible object. If I then remove my custom animation, and go back to using any of the EllenCombo animations, then I'm able to break the destructible box again. I have been looking through the Damageble script, and the MeleeWeapon script. But so far I can't seem to figure out why the destructiblebox prefab will not break when I use my custom animations. I've tried adjusting the attack points and their positions on the staff, but with no luck.

Has anyone else encountered this, and did you find a solution that worked with your custom animations?

Update: I ended up dropping my combat animations and used Ellen's combat animations. I also changed her animations to humanoid. Everything is working and destructible objects now break again. But I never figured out why when I used my custom attack animations destructible objects failed to break.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  19. Lakris

Lakris

Do anyone know how to make it so that Ellen is able to jump on enemies and pick up and throw objects fex to hurt enemies? instead of hitting them
    If you can point me in a direction to create it, it will be great
    (I have a little knowledge of Unity)

Thx

20. blockimperium

blockimperium

Will be teaching GameKit Lite to some students for a Hackathon for this weekend. We won't just be using GameKit lite, but will also be extending it by adding new behaviors and the like. Having spent much of the week playing around with GameKit I've found all sorts of weird and interesting things with it - but it does make a solid framework... for building a solid framework :D

If Unity were to put more energy into this it could really be something special. Right now its a good starting point for building things, but it definitely requires some patching to make things work properly.

For example, I'm not sure why you would have an object with a DamageZone and a DeathVolume on it. Makes no sense, the first thing you'll do is die due to the DeathVolme so the DamageZone is a bit pointless. I ended up building a new one that just has a DamageZone on it so you can fall in acid and jump back out instead of just dying immediately.

DaftPuzzler likes this.
  21. blockimperium

blockimperium

I am running it on 2018.3.4f1. I get some weirdness with RiderPath, but that's pretty much it.

22. blockimperium

blockimperium

Also, be careful because if you use the polygon tools to create terrain and the character goes down far enough (actually not very far), they will hit the DeathVolume and die all the same. Took a minute to see this because the DeathVolume isn't very visible. I would suggest customizing it so that it is a big nasty red thing with a visible renderer and just turn it off before you ship your game. Otherwise, you will have some "why the hell did I die" moments.

In my case I found it useful to move the volume further down in world space to match the behavior of games like Mario64. You can fall for a while, but won't die until you hit the DeathVolume. From a gameplay perspective, Unity just put it too close to the ground plane.

23. bcmorgan96

bcmorgan96

I think there may be a problem. Because every time I try to build it, it keeps giving me errors. And I haven't changed a thing.

peteflett likes this.
  24. blockimperium

blockimperium

Got (4) Gamekit project teams hacking away. They are doing some interesting stuff based on Gamekit Lite and pulling scripts and attaching them to the asset store. Can't wait to see what they come up with :D

25. idealist2000

idealist2000

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 04.11.55.png Hello,
    I am working heavily on Unity for over a week. :) I was continuing a udemy course and an e-book. However this game kit is wonderful. Thank you by the way. However, I am something unexperienced on coding.

I have made a written plan and I will study unity 10 hours in a day.

• 4 hours for C#
    • 2 hours for my unity e-book
    • 2 hours for my Udemy's unity course
    • and 2 hours on udemy tutorials and kits (like yours.)
    I came across on a code error again as in the screenshot. I think that might be because of unity versions. Because, I have installed your game kit and haven't done anything after that. I pressed the play game and that error. If you help me, I will be very grateful. Thank you very much. Thank you unity community.

DaftPuzzler likes this.
  26. idealist2000

idealist2000

And after 9 minutes, it has been normal. I think that was because Unity update. Thank you Unity :)

27. blockimperium

blockimperium

Okay, I have feedback for the developers. The teams were mostly brand new to Unity but all built projects from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. They were able to put together some impressive things considering they hadn't used Unity before. However some clear issues arose:

* The first real build is problematic because Gamekit creates a bunch of throwaway temporary scenes which will cause the build to fail.

* Seriously need to consider a.more generic approach to Ellen if people are going to retarget animations. A Lot of stuff is hardcored for Ellen and hashes of animation states which is just wrong.

* Command system needs some work. At it's simplest, giving the game command receiver and sender I one in the ide confused the students as they thought they were images and not scripts. Use a script icon with the special state overlayed on it or something.

* Many use cases show a lack of building a (less simple) game with the kit as there were a number of holes that needed to be filed. Doors that can close on their own, a better defined inventory system, etc. While I understand your use case, students quickly found themselves needing to write code.

More feedback will come from the student teams themselves next week.

28. tsondhi2006

tsondhi2006

In my 3d GameKit Lite, the Chomper is doing same amount of damage (ie 1) regardless of what damagei am putting on the melee attack script... Plz help!!

29. AlisterBrose

AlisterBrose

If I comprehend it properly it's okay to use the cryptogram and publishing supervisor extensions in viable electronic game projects but not copies, cartoons, acoustic or feels? If so formerly that's fairly fair. https://dutywriter.com

30. meyitzo

meyitzo

Can someone tell me is it’s possible to have a switch trigger to be used more than once to open and close the same door?

thanks

31. 11rolf

11rolf

I got the same result on Mac but on PC it works.
    Kit Lite seems not working on a Mac

32. rtargosz

rtargosz

I see 4 Avatar Masks under Art/Animations/AvatarMasks but don't see them being used anywhere. Did I miss it?

33. matencio

matencio

The game kit looks really cool. I haven't started it yet. Finally got it downloaded.

That being said, I want to make a special request for a different game kit. How about one for racing? Beginner level would be awesome. Thanks

34. Centanian

Centanian

Hello, I have been working with the game kit for awhile trying to learn the in's and out's of it to make a short little practice game. But i have come across an issue. You see i want to use the collectible keys in a level to unlock a door. But i'm having trouble setting it up. Is there a tutorial on this subject for the game kit?

The primary goal
    - Interactive Key, That disappears when you collect it and shows on the Key Canvas
    - When you have all keys, Door Opens ( Preferably when you walk in a box collider, so i can make it like your unlocking the door.

I have tried following the 2d game kit tutorial as its very similar, but still no luck

Any help would be great

35. P_Jong

P_Jong

Hi Centanian, Take a look at the "Using Counters and Switches" tutorial for the 3D Gamekit. https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/3d-game-kit/using-counters-and-switches?playlist=51061

I think that should work if applied to keys instead of switches.

36. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

Hi - I'm new to the 3d Game Kit, and I'm having trouble setting up a dialog box. I have tried to set it up exactly as it is in the Level1 scene, but my player does not trigger the dialogue canvas and text when she enters the sphere collider on the InfoZone. All of my settings are the same as those in the Level1 scene, and when I played that scene to test it out, once again the dialogue was not displayed. Have I missed something?

37. Centanian

Centanian

38. Centanian

Centanian

They Were tricky for me to work out as well, you just need to play around with it alittle.

Image 1 : Below shows how its set up in the hierarchy, Make sure to have it under a parent object. Include all the zones you want and add the dialogue canvas.

Image 2 : Below shows the inspector of one of my info zones, Set it up the same way as in the image and should work. Just make sure when you drag the dialogue canvas in, that is the one from your hierarchy and not from the project window

Attached Files:

hagould and muskmoveon like this.
  39. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

Thank you Centanian. Your images were very helpful and the dialogue works perfectly now. My problem now is that it won’t stop. Every time my character passes the info zone the dialogue reappears. Is there any way to make it just a one off appearance?

40. Centanian

Centanian

Uncheck this box and should and not reappear walking back in the zone

Attached Files:

41. ekeegan

ekeegan

upload_2019-2-28_18-39-25.png upload_2019-2-28_18-40-56.png upload_2019-2-28_18-41-40.png upload_2019-2-28_18-43-19.png Dear awesome dev community, I hope to get some insight here for those of you who may have run into similar issues when trying to push the potential using the 3D kit. The key issue I am running into is bringing Maya animations (.fbx) files and set them up to work with a new retargeted ellen. I have my character setup and avatar created. My character, however, idles BUT runs in place when trying to move. I know this has something to do with the Root motion, but, don't fully grasp how to address the issue. Here are some images to help demonstrate my setup.

The fbx file is taken from the Swords and Shields course.

I've included thumbnails for each example in the same order as the list below:
    1. My rig is setup as a GENERIC avatar to reflect the same setup as Ellen
    2. Animation Tab for import settings for the RUN ANIMATION.FBX
    3. I created a duplicate Anim Controller and assigned it to the original Ellen prefab instance
    4. All my clips have been reassigned in this controller for IdleSM and Locomotion blendtree.
    5. Alas...I am running in place

Thanks in advance for any help....I'll keep plugging away!

42. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

Thanks again Centanian. I have done as you suggest, but the dialogue still keeps appearing.

43. Runemark

Runemark

Since I'm currently working with the 3D Game Kit, and lots of you asked me to publish the code I wrote in my tutorials, I decided to recreate the character retargeting in a more organized way.

I'm thinking about to create short videos about how I create different game mechanics with the game kit. Like traps, inventory usage...etc. Would you be interested?

DaftPuzzler likes this.
  44. ekeegan

ekeegan

@Runemark Thank you big time for these resources!

Runemark likes this.
  45. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

I am really struggling with this asset. Everything about it is working well except that the Health UI and the Dialogue Boxes have stopped appearing, even in the demo levels that come with the asset.. Is there some sort of switch that governs their appearance? I even re-imported the asset to make a clean start but the problem persists. The tutorials that come with it don't provide an answer, so my game has ground to a halt. Can anybody help?
    EDIT
    I think the health bar may be off the top of my screen, but I can't adjust the canvas size because the inspector won't respond either in the locked or unlocked position. Can this be fixed?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  46. _malcolm

_malcolm

Moving Platforms
    Hi, I'm using Unity 2018.3.6f1/VS 2017Pro, andGame-Kit 3D 1.7a.

There were a couple of odd things that I found going through the tutorial that seemed like they were supposed to work, but actually didn't. Like moving the camera with the mouse didn't work. I had to fix that myself. Moving Platforms is another, which I have not totally resolved. I have a platform as per the tutorial, and it moves. Ellen can jump on it, but she does not move with it. She does not fall through, she just doesn't stay on the platform as it moves horizontally. (The tutorial has it going vertically, but I did horizontally in my scene). I've looked on google, but this issue seems to have been popular around 2009-2011, nothing really more recent. Looking at the script for the Simple Translator in the MovingPlatform, it appears that it should be catching that already. My guess is I'm just missing some fairly simple thing.

I have SimpleTranslator set up as Ping Pong, Activate=true, Interaction Type=Activate, Layer=Environment.
    On the MovingPlatformRigidBody, I have:
    upload_2019-3-4_16-58-55.png

Any suggestions? From the tutorial, I would have thought this would work "out of the box", once you set up the collidor (Is Trigger=false)

Fairly new to Unity, long time back end coder.

Edit: Also, in Scene 2 of the Kit, there are a couple of horizontal platforms that work fine. So it's got to be something I'm missing, a click here or there, but I can't see it.

As a side question: To get the character to change the camera view with the mouse, I used the scroll wheel for axis 4. How would I get it to just move by moving the mouse, as the tutorial would seem to dictate?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  47. Runemark

Runemark

Go through on this checklist, it might help:
    • Player game object should be on the Player layer
    • Player game object should have a PlayerController script on it.
    • If you changed the physics matrix (in the project settings) make sure, layers Player and Environment can collide with each other.

48. _malcolm

_malcolm

Thanks, Runemark. All 3 are ok. I noticed while playing around with it tonight, I hit an enemy (chomper) and he was thrown up onto the platform, and his ragdoll moved fine with the platform. So it does seem entirely related to the player object. Just not sure what.

A new problem came up as well. Trying to set this up: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/3d-game-kit/scene-teleportation
    and it doesn't seem to work either. Just moving from one place to another in the same scene is all I am trying. So following the 'use 2 TransitionStarts, rename one to TransitionEnd' method. I have it set up exactly as the page says, but it doesn't get triggered when the player walks into it.
    upload_2019-3-5_2-0-49.png

49. Runemark

Runemark

Attach please a screenshot about the player inspector.
    Show the player controller, the character controller and the inspector header (tag, layer..etc)

EDIT: Replace the BoxCollider2D to BoxCollider and it should work fine.

50. _malcolm

_malcolm

That worked for the teleporting with the transition object, Runemark, thanks. I guess they made the 2D game kit before the 3D and forgot to update.

Still having issues with the moving platform keeping Ellen on it. As I said above, the ragdoll of a chomper got thrown on it and stayed. So I think the platform itself is ok? Just not locking Ellen to it. And the horizontal moving platforms in the Level 2 demo work...but also look like mine.