Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 3D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, May 9, 2018.

1. Little-Blue-Wraith

Little-Blue-Wraith

Hey guys, for some reason this kit isn't loading. Like, at all. No error messages, no nothing. I'll go to my assets, tell it to open in Unity, and... nothing.

stanhx and JamesArndt like this.
  2. konsic

konsic

Could you change how this downloads.

It's on 1% for 20 minutes.

For example, if I don't want to download assets which are huge. I would like to download only the kit to use without prefabs.

JamesArndt likes this.
  3. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I was asking this same thing for the Book of the Dead assets. I wish there were just a package for the art assets alone.

Mauri likes this.
  4. konsic

konsic

It would be the best that before downloading the the whole package, user selects what he wants to download. The reverse as now is.

5. Runemark

Runemark

It might not fully relevant to this forum, but since I working on this project in connection of the 3D Game Kit, and smada-luap already asked about it, I share my progress here too.

So I started to work on a IK based climb system, that I hope will be much accurate and better looking than if I would do it with animations. The base idea came from Assassins Creed climbing. Please check this video, and let me know what you think about it!

I also made a conversation forum for this particular project: https://forum.unity.com/threads/ik-based-climbing-system.537920/

VP_no1, awake, Baraff and 1 other person like this.
  6. spotdot

spotdot

I think you can use all assets and scripts because normally Unity make a note if you can not use this for your commercial projects... so I go for it :)

7. divergentdroid

divergentdroid

Hey, Can Ellen do a First Person View? (Ruth from Second Life Can (Old Havok engine) LOL ) If this kit doesn't have that functionality, does Unity plan on making a free FPS Kit or an add on for this Unity based 3D Kit?

8. unity_7u0GnKMr7AACqg

unity_7u0GnKMr7AACqg

Is there any tutorial on lighting within the 3D game kit? I am looking for creating sunset like effect on the entire level. Is that possible? Thanks

9. Le_Gringo

Le_Gringo

(To begin, I am french so sorry for my poor english).

Hello everyone,

Maybe my question will appear stupid but i am discovering Unity for 2 weeks now and I try to follow 3d Game Kit Tutorial.
    I created a new scene so i got Ellen, a piece of floor. I add acid pool like in the tutorial (no problem for this).

I try to add some plane game object with probuilder like in the tutorial.
    Ellen doesn't collides with it. I also tried other things like making a building, adding some random shapes and Ellen doesn't collide at all.

I would like to understand why everything I add doesn't work properly. Maybe i missed something. All the gameobjects i add come with a mesh collider. The only thing that works are prefab.

Could you explain to me ?

10. smada-luap

smada-luap

Try making sure the new planes are on the right layer

11. visioomega

visioomega

hello guys im having some issues with the editors menus i seem to be missing menu items Kit Tools, terrain, tutorial cinemachine.
    upload_2018-7-1_19-34-51.png

i assume that the scripts didn't load for the editor menu items i just cant seem to figger out witch script to work with so many to modify for the editor in the new 3D game kit folder.
    i would love to do this course but need some help any ideas smart ppl?

12. Runemark

Runemark

Hi! Unity uses Layers for physics (check the unity manual). You can set the collisions between layers in the Edit/ProjectSettings/Physics menu. However the 3D Game Kit already did this for you, the game kit collision matrix looks like this:

I you check the Player layer on this matrix, it collides only with Level, Checkpoint, Collider, Cameras, Terrain, WaterGeometry, Vegetation, Characters, Environment, Vehicles and Water.

From this list Level, Collider, Terrain and Environment are looking relevant what you would need. But the game kit uses them for certain purposes:
    - Collider is used for interactions, like preasure plates.
    - Terrain isn't even used (at least I didn't find anything on this layer in the demo scenes)

Therefore Environment and Level is what you can use. Environment can collide with colliders (interactives) and effects. I think level layer is made for static object, while environment is for game object that are part of the interaction.

I would use Level in your case.

Yes it would be a script error. But before you modify anything, try to restart unity editor!

WolfDreamer likes this.
  13. Runemark

Runemark

New tutorial video: How to add ranged weapon to the game kit.
    It covers aiming, inverse kinematics, animation setup as well as adding and setting up a ranged weapon and a projectile.

14. Le_Gringo

Le_Gringo

@Runemark
    @smada-luap

So... I discovered Layers :)D)
    Thank you guys.

As I said, i am a newcomer on Unity (and game engine sotware in general).

Glad to meet a gentle community like yours.

Runemark likes this.
  15. Frank4119

Frank4119

visioomega likes this.
  16. Frank4119

Frank4119

Hello,

After finishing with the 3d game kit manual on how to spawn enemies, I placed up to 20 chompers just for fun. However, I noticed that only a random amount will follow the player. In other words, not all chompers are engaging the player when they should. Is there a reason why only a random amount will attack? How may I enable all of them to attack the character simultaneously?

Edit: If this helps, I did an experiment on trying to find the max amount of chompers following the player. I placed up to 12 chompers (Copied and paste on the hierarchy) and only 11 will engage. When I get close to the chomper on idle, 2 to 4 chompers will stop and idle while the other chomper begins to engage. This situation repeats.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  17. Runemark

Runemark

The amount isn't random, its a maximum of 12 (as default). There is a component on the player character (Ellen) called Target Distributor, this script allows to distribute arc around a target, used for "crowding" by enemies, so they all come at the player (or any target) from different direction. You can change the arcs count on this script as you wish.

18. awake

awake

that explains why when i put enemies in a tunnel they get stuck.

19. awake

awake

Does anyone know how the Chomper's root node is set up in the animation? Or is there a way to get it easily into blender to check it out? I'm making my own enemy character using generic animation and im having a lot of problems with smooth movement and falling through the navmesh. The chomper seems to work fine though

20. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's a common gameplay tactics to not overwhelm the player, play many commercial games and you will se the same pattern.

21. divergentdroid

divergentdroid

Er.. So I take it, it doesn't do first person? Come on guys, someone could have given me a simple answer already. I'm thinking this group is dead, but nope, i'm just ignored. No problem, I keep this page open always.

22. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

This should be a 3rd person project.
    Turn it into an FPS game might or might not be an easy task ! I would guess that it is not that hard !

23. lodijoe72

lodijoe72

To Aurore,, please help Sandneox, myself, and others by:
    Putting mobile controls in your next version of 3d Game Kit or
    showing us step by step in the documentation how to have Ellen work with a joystick in ios and android.
    You have developed a great Game Kit but it needs to also work in mobile.

24. angelluisonline

angelluisonline

Hi, first time with the Kit.

I go to Kit Tools > Create a new scene... I give a name, and then I click Play button.

The main character camera it's always moving around the player, at high speed and the character runs in circles, without touch nothing.

When I reopen Unity, I get this errors:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    Cinemachine.CinemachineFreeLook.UpdateCachedSpline () (at C:/Users/Angel Luis/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.1.12/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineFreeLook.cs:671)
    Cinemachine.CinemachineFreeLook.GetLocalPositionForCameraFromInput (Single t) (at C:/Users/Angel Luis/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.1.12/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineFreeLook.cs:649)
    Cinemachine.CinemachineFreeLook.PushSettingsToRigs () (at C:/Users/Angel Luis/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.1.12/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineFreeLook.cs:563)
    Cinemachine.CinemachineFreeLook.InternalUpdateCameraState (Vector3 worldUp, Single deltaTime) (at C:/Users/Angel Luis/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.1.12/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineFreeLook.cs:296)
    Cinemachine.CinemachineCore.UpdateVirtualCamera (ICinemachineCamera vcam, Vector3 worldUp, Single deltaTime) (at C:/Users/Angel Luis/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.1.12/Runtime/Core/CinemachineCore.cs:244)
    Cinemachine.CinemachineCore.UpdateAllActiveVirtualCameras (Vector3 worldUp, Single deltaTime) (at C:/Users/Angel Luis/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.1.12/Runtime/Core/CinemachineCore.cs:179)
    Cinemachine.CinemachineBrain.UpdateVirtualCameras (UpdateFilter updateFilter, Single deltaTime) (at C:/Users/Angel Luis/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.1.12/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineBrain.cs:439)
    Cinemachine.CinemachineBrain.Start () (at C:/Users/Angel Luis/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.1.12/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineBrain.cs:335)

Windows 10 64 bits last version of Unity.

Edited: it was a shifter recognised as joystick in the game.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  25. awake

awake

If you set the enemy chomper to take multiple hits of damage you may want to look into this line of code. When the chomper gets hit and is still alive, it goes a ridiculous distance from the player. To reduce this distance there is a hard coded number in the chomper behavior script:
    controller.AddForce(pushForce.normalized * 5.5f, false);

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Runemark likes this.
  26. SEbyte

SEbyte

Hi, this is my first post and a I would like to say 3dGame Kit is a great product for a newcomer like me.

I have been building a test game and all was going well until I got a corrupted asset. I reimported the assets and reset settings where needed. All worked as expected except that the cursor stays visible during game play.

I think I remember having seen somewhere, in one of the assets a setting which turns on or off the cursor. I have been through all of the assets in use and also checked the project settings and cant find it. I could write a script to turn cursor off during play, but would prefer to use the setting (if it exists and is not a figment of my imagination) in the kit.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Steve

27. divergentdroid

divergentdroid

Vagabiond - My question was more " is the game kit capable of a first person mode at all" ? You suggest that is IS possible within the confines of the kits without programming? Just double checking, is this correct that is Is capable of first person?

28. awake

awake

The asset uses a Cinemachine camera system to work. If you want to keep the player character and attacks the same you may be able to adjust the camera to make it 1st person. Perhaps check out tutorials on using cinemachine for 1st person.

I did some modifications to the camera based on Cinemachine's documentation without knowing anything about how it is integrated with the 3d gamekit and it worked fine. I was adjusting the camera to rotate around the player a little slower, and i changed the camera collision to keep it from "clipping" out of the tunnel the player was walking in.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  29. shaddadjr85

shaddadjr85

Hi all,

For some reason most of the materials on the terrain are coming in as black. Does anyone have any ideas why this is? The material seems to be set correctly and I don't think any lights are being baked.

Thanks,

Attached Files:

rrabassa and awake like this.
  30. dsdeanzx

dsdeanzx

jugueton likes this.
  31. jugueton

jugueton

dsdeanzx likes this.
  32. jugueton

jugueton

The good news is "his" game is already pirated so hopefully he won't be making many sales

dsdeanzx likes this.
  33. neoshaman

neoshaman

o_O

34. NCVTN

NCVTN

I have the latest version of Unity. I made a new project with the Unite 3D kit.

An error occurred while resolving packages:
    Package com.unity.cinemachine@2.1.12 has invalid dependencies:
    com.unity.modules.timeline: Package [com.unity.modules.timeline@1.0.0] cannot be found

A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/Users/alex/AppData/Local/Temp/d0138e4f173a941479a0888715bd3a25/Packages/manifest.json file.

How can I fix it?

35. olivoil

olivoil

I also have these errors. Anyone was able to fix them?

36. Anomanola

Anomanola

Hi,
    Like others I have read of on this forum, I cannot download the 3D Kit. I can't find a solution on this forum. Is there a solution yet? Does anyone know?

37. visioomega

visioomega

thanks i ended up giving up and got the 2d game kit every thing loaded fine except some dependency for the cinemachine but ill figger that out later it doesn't stop me from runing the game. i guess ill deal with that at a later point in time maybe a update will resolve the issue this collider graph though pretty fancy pantsy.

you woundnt happen to be able to point me in the right direction with getting the enemy's to walk off cliffs would you.

38. jugueton

jugueton

I wouldn't call your game amazing but that's just a matter of opinion, personally, I don't think that slapping an extra word on top of the main menu title and four crappy levels that probably took you the best part of half an hour qualifies as amazing. Kudos to you anyway, you saw an opportunity and you took it. Don't get upset if somebody publishes the sequel to "your" game...o_O

neoshaman and dsdeanzx like this.
  39. jugueton

jugueton

40. jugueton

jugueton

shameless...

dsdeanzx likes this.
  41. smada-luap

smada-luap

42. spotdot

spotdot

you need to update Cinemachine to version 2.2.0 that will fix it

43. Runemark

Runemark

This is sad...
    Not just because he basicly selling a project that created by other people for the community, or because he tricks his steam buyers to pay a few bucks for a negative 30 minutes of playtime (I called it negative because it took away time from the player).

But because I'm not sure if the 'developer' of the 'game' even knows how the first two level feels and looks. I mean he is maybe satisfied with the levels as they are, and maybe he honestly thinks that he is done there is a game development and a game design.

This is also sad, if the above is not right and the 'developer' just lacks of the pride.

dsdeanzx and spotdot like this.
  44. spotdot

spotdot

I am sure that this is just a kid and doesn't have a clue what he's doing, they want to earn some extra cash at the expense of another/developer! This is often the case with asset flippers... they simply do not care :(
    While this is just a chance to make something fun or something unique and learn something!

Anyway this will not be the only one I'm afraid... lot more will follow :)

dsdeanzx and Runemark like this.
  45. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's a balance, where there is asset flippers, there is asset flippers bashing and exposing, it's like virus and antibody

Runemark and dsdeanzx like this.
  46. Obsessedwithoverthinking

Obsessedwithoverthinking

I have a solution (for me anyway) I had this problem and tried all day to fix it. Including redownloading unity. I don't know how, but making a new project and going into the in editor asset store to download it worked for me. Slow as anything, but it did it.

Asset store download didn't work, tutorial projects download didn't, but the in editor asset store did.

Does this help?

47. xarismax

xarismax

i think unity lawyers should get in to the game Vogue the explorer.
    THERE MUST BE SOME LEGAL LOOPHOLE TO STOP HIM.

This guy spend 10 minutes, tossing assets from 3d game kit, and created a stage of 2 min duration to the player. The rest of the game is 3d game kit unchanged. He exploiting unity, and creating a bad image by degrading the quality of the asset. To add salt to the wounds, HE GOT 500$, not even a CEO gets 500$ per 10 minutes, not even a wall street investor !!!

Not only that, he is exploiting the name "The Explorer", he used photoshop to add a crappy "Vogue" letter in an appalling art style that doesn't fit the menu screen. The Web should not let him go unpunished, he must be exposed.

At the very least, unity authorities SHOULD notify the Steam Store to pull down the game !!! Steam can and should revoke permission to list his game, without going through legal mumbo jumbo. HE IS DAMAGING YOUR REPUTATION. you should revoke his right to use 3d game kit with no changes.

https://steamcommunity.com/dmca/create/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  48. awake

awake

I skipped through some of this video, because at least this video is useful to get a playthrough using the 3d gamekit mechanics. One thing he brought up is there is no jump attack. I could probably figure out how to generate a jump attack animation or grab one from mixamo but is that difficult to implement?

49. xarismax

xarismax

easiest way to implement it. Don't.
    Just because 1 player asked for it, you will deliver it? That's called feature creep, it will take you at least 1 week to code.

50. omorsa

omorsa

I see that the kit has been updated with a licence file called: 3DGameKit-ThirdPartyNotoce.txt.
    I redownloaded the project but that file is missing. I think Unity should make the license public.
    Meanwhile, can someone post the file here(if someone has it). Thanks

awake likes this.