Search Unity

Official 3D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, May 9, 2018.

1. smada-luap

smada-luap

A similar thing happens for me - I think the postprocessing stack is taking a while to initialise

2. impheris

impheris

I manually download some packages and clear some erros, but i still having 4 errors (sorry for my english)

3. awake

awake

I see some other people asking about swapping the character out so this is a similar thread. I have a more specific question, I'm trying to figure out how the ellen spawn script works since my character is from Mixamo and isnt a single object with multiple materials like Ellen. Can some more basic comments on how to use the included scripts be added to the scripts since this gamekit is intended for non-programmers?

I'd like to add that I made this so far with the gamekit:

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  4. LuzanovRoman

LuzanovRoman

No, it wasn't postprocessing stack. It's Realtime Global Illumination. It can be found at Window -> Lighting -> Settings.

emcwhiz7 likes this.
  5. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

has this project and inventory canvas system and a persistence data save between level included yet?

6. Bluelight413

Bluelight413

I'm trying to import FBX files with custom characters and animations.
    So far, I've been able to import a character, swap out Ellen's mesh and rig in her prefab, and retarget the target objects of the scripts, etc. I have a character controlling properly, but not animating.

I copied Ellen's Animator and replaced her animations with the custom ones. When I use the custom animator, my character animates but he can only move while he's in the air; he can't walk on the ground. But when I use Ellen's animator, he can move properly without animating.

What do I need to change in my custom animator to make my character move properly?

P_Jong likes this.
  7. kevinj586

kevinj586

Quick question, when I use the teleport (big gate) along with the checkpoint from a different scene all it does it warp me back to the start of the level, is there any type of level transition?

8. jackdecker

jackdecker

This is an amazing kit, I am already using it to create one of my best games ever!

9. Runemark

Runemark

Hi everyone!
    I saw some of you had problem with retargeting your own character to work with the 3D Game Kit. I'm playing around with this asset for a while, and this was the first thing I changed.
    I made a video tutorial for you how you can make the game kit character retargetable! It not that difficult!
    Check out the video!
    (Also keep in mind I'm new on making videos, so if you have any suggestion how I could improve myself, please let me know!)

Deleted User, P_Jong, NAiLz and 9 others like this.
  10. kevinj586

kevinj586

Ok so I set up a transition to load the next scene but every time I walk through it, all it does it takes me back to the beginning, any tips?

11. Runemark

Runemark

From this I'm thinking about two possible problem:
    1) You didn't set the New Scene Name on the Transition Point right. (Or you maybe set the Type to "Same Scene"?)
    2) The target scene is not added to the Build Settings (but this case and error should pop up)

12. sneakymoon

sneakymoon

Hey guys I've been trying very hard to get this kit to import but it just won't :( I've looked through all the other threads related to this kit... I have enough space and I have Unity 2018.1.2 but it still comes up with the "Couldn't decompress package" errors... what am I doing wrong?

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  13. LuzanovRoman

LuzanovRoman

Hi everyone. For some time I have been developing my own project of mouse which can be connected to iOS without jailbreak and hacks. To demonstrate it I used 3D Game Kit and some another projects. I hope it will be interesting to see how 3D Game Kit looks on iOS.

axis223 likes this.
  14. Honorsoft

Honorsoft

You have the exact errors I received when attempting to run the '3D Game Kit' for the first time. I was able to get rid of every error except for the PostProcessing errors (from Cinemachine and 3D Game Kit's Utility scripts). To get rid of some of those errors you got, download and import the Text Mesh Pro, Post-Processing Stack, and Cinemachine assets from the Asset Store (all free). It's my first day with the 3DGameKit, so I am still working on the few remaining 'PostProcessing' errors, for more info on this see this post:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions...-exist-in-the-namespace-uni/50638367#50638367

15. Honorsoft

Honorsoft

Maybe if I make some code for it later I'll post it, but to make a ladder climbing system, there are many methods in Unity, but for an eassy to understand example, you can do something like this:
    -Get animations of a character climbing a ladder, climbing up and down, or just play the animation in reverse. If you can't find a 'climb' animation you can edit the hands on a 'crawl' animation, they are similar. Also a 'climbing idle' animation for when the character's stopped.
    -Create a new Animation Controller to handle JUST ladder climbing, for example an Animation Controller named 'ClimbingLadder' that has bool parameters for pressing 'UP' and pressing 'DOWN', and add the animations to it so that it will play the 'climbing up' animation
    if (Animator anim.GetBool("climbingUp"))
    and play the 'climbing down' animation
    if (Animator anim.GetBool("climbingDown"))
    . If neither, the default animation 'climb idle' animation is played in a loop. Then, using a script (or an animation) you also move the character's Transform up when it's climbing up, and down when climbing down. You can also use an Animator Event (or use a script) to play audio clips for the footsteps on the ladder when climbing up/down (by checking the bool).
    -Now, once your controller works for climbing, you can have a 'trigger collider' positioned on the ladder that will disable the player's normal Animation Controller (such as the ThirdPersonController) and enable the 'ClimbingLadder' Animation Controller, when the player makes contact with the collider. You can have the player 'released' by the ladder when they reach the top or bottom collider-triggers, or have the jump button 'jump' you off.

To push or pull objects, the same method could be used. For example, if the 'PUSH' button is pushed when the player is colliding with a collider-trigger that is attached to any push-able object, then a 'pushing animation' is played (and maybe the sound of grinding/scraping) and the player and object are moved together. You could also make the object a child of the player's hand Transform to make the player 'carry' the object. That is just one method, with Rigidbodies you could also just play the 'pushing' animation while moving forward against the object, if the Mass of the object was low enough you would push it. Pulling an object would just require attaching the object to the player while pulling.

For interacting with switches, and many other things, collider-triggers will come in very handy in Unity. For a switch, have a script on an object with a collider-trigger on it, and in
    Update()
    , if the key for the switch is pressed (a certain key is pressed while that collider-trigger is being collided with by the player), then it triggers an animation, sounds, etc.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    VP_no1 likes this.
  16. AA-Matt

AA-Matt

Any news on the github repo or just a direct link to the package? The asset store currently seems to complete downloading 100% but then reset the progress bar to 0% and hang there.

EDIT: Signing out and signing back in seems to have fix it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  17. straylessproductions

straylessproductions

How to add pistol for weapon?

18. Runemark

Runemark

I made a new tutorial video about how to retarget the Chomper character and use your own model as a melee enemy!

I'm experimenting with this feature. There are multiple art asset for this (pistol, shooting animations), i'm currently working on the best and easiest way to implement a basic shoot functionality.
    If you are interested, please follow me on Youtube!

19. redchurch

redchurch

It would be great if the team that made 3D Game Kit gave a breakdown of their process and workflow for each aspect of how they created the kit.

20. Runemark

Runemark

Straylessproductions do you mean something like this?

This is a quick sneak peak about my experiment to add the pistol to the GameKit. It's in my modified 3DGameKit (that utilizes scriptable object based architecture), so I still need to convert the solution to the basic one that you can download from the Asset Store. Hopefully I'll be able to make the tutorial next week.

bmaricle, Rakhem, VP_no1 and 3 others like this.
  21. bobkeeler

bobkeeler

I cannot get it to work at all... I start with Kit Tools>create scene.. nothing happens.. frustrating not helpful for beginners

22. bobkeeler

bobkeeler

I then tried it with the 2D Game Kit.... no problem

23. Giosialu

Giosialu

Maybe not exactly what the Kit was made for, but can the assets be freely used in other commercial projects? For instance the footsteps audio files are exactly what I'm searching for right now, and also some shaders seem really interesting.

24. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Can we use these assets in our games or are these assets copywritten? I'm confused because it looks like an open source sort of thing but I haven't said anything explicitly saying we can use this stuff if we wish. Really like the environment art!

25. R1PFake

R1PFake

I would also like to know that, but people already asked this before (also in the previous beta forum) and so far they never answered the question :(

As far as i know everything on the asset store (bought or free) can be used in commercial projects unless there is a special license information and this project doesn't show any additional licence information on the store page so it "should" be allowed? But im not sure if there is any additional license rule because it's a asset from the Unity team

Giosialu likes this.
  26. JeanMeletou

JeanMeletou

Hello I am new on the forum, and I just made a small series of tutorial on the use of the 3D Game Kit for the French community, it is only audio that is in French.

Meletou1
    www.passion3d.com

27. JeanMeletou

JeanMeletou

28. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

This has been answered multiple times: just go back in the forum and read it :)
    The project is not done in order to be used commercially but simply to learn from.
    However as i understand there will not be a problem if you go and use some asset in your project ( which again are not produced for this purpose but to learn from ). You just have to not go and copy most of the stuff directly etc... You can not simply copy a level in your projects and use it directly.

Again the project is mainly produces as a learning resource !
    But i assume it will be best to go back and read the posts from the developers :)

All the best !

P.S. - just to give an example - i used the Crystal shader but with custom made crystal model and textures and it still looks really nice. I can go and learn now how this shader works !

29. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

I just noticed what exactly the "quote" i replied to meant:
    but i would say that we simply can not use this in commercial projects. If it was so, the developers would have tell us explicitly :) !

30. Alexwbc

Alexwbc

So, in short, these are only meant to be training assets?

31. Giosialu

Giosialu

As a lonely and no-budget developer, I would love the ability to use those assets in a commercial project. As R1PFake noticed, when a free project is under a specific license it is explicitly said (like, for instance, in the Adam Character Pack), and this is not the case; but since terrain-based footsteps would require a lot of work for a newbie like me, I'd really appreciate an "official" answer by the developers before I begin scripting for that :)

32. daniloalves450

daniloalves450

This is the only error that prevent me to run the game:

C:/Users/danil/AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.1.12/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineStoryboard.cs(89,33): error CS0115: `Cinemachine.CinemachineStoryboard.ConnectToVcam(bool)' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override

Any help?

33. techgrapple

techgrapple

Damn! I keep clicking on Downloading and it doesn't start. It shows the progress bar but no progress happens. Using a MacBook Pro Retina Model (no dedicated graphic)

34. SzakiII

SzakiII

Hello
    I want use for example - Car with WheelCollider and Rigidbody ( Is Kinematic=false) on this scene. Unfortunely colliders doesn't work and my car falls down :(
    How to use vehicles ? How to use Rigidbody to simulate gravity?
    Secoud
    Is any posible to use for example - 'Plane' object from 3D Game Kit scene in another project ?
    Thanks for help

35. NCVTN

NCVTN

Is there a way to add blood effects for hitting enemy? I made a prefab with the particle system and a self destructive script. And don't know how to add it to the enemy.

36. Runemark

Runemark

You have to change the car game objects layer to Player or Enemy. Or any relevant layer that collides with the Environment layer. You can check the collision matrix under the Edit/ProjectSettings/Physics menu:
    upload_2018-6-13_9-18-25.png

There is a Damageable script on every character (whether its a player or an enemy character). On this script there are several events, you want to use the OnReceiveDamage one. If you are not sure how to use it, check the Ellen Damageable on the Ellen Prefab, every time Ellen got hit, the shield effect appears, you want to do the same thing with your blood effect.

37. i7enin

i7enin

Try to open new project, go to 'Asset Store' tab and find '3d game kit' from there. Then download it (it will ask you to accept terms). Good luck!

38. saadneox

saadneox

Hello Guys Thanks for this spectacular asset to learn from ...i'm wondering if this supports mobile controls in it and if Not How to implement that ? thanks

39. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Well this is highly dissapointing. Just imported into clean project...2018.1.3f1 and have a bunch of errors related to Cinemachine, which is in my project updated to the very latest version. Anyone know why these are occuring in a clean import?

40. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

Bless Unity for this gift BUT for god shake.

3D Game Kit
    The Explorer: 3D Game Kit. A collection of mechanics, tools, systems and assets to hook up gameplay without writing any code.

Two day fighting with errors to get the project just to start because of Cinemachine and post prossing jus like the above poster and after loading the project running the packlages in the Cinemachine packages folder updating vai the packet Manager then downloading from the assets store (this process cames from NOT knowing and guessing how to try and fix this) I'm down to:

taken out for privacy /AppData/Local/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.cinemachine@2.2.0/Runtime/Behaviours/CinemachineStoryboard.cs(85,33): error CS0115: `Cinemachine.CinemachineStoryboard.ConnectToVcam(bool)' is marked as an override but no suitable method found to override

Joy I still can't run the base first install of this project
    Seems you CAN'T do a thing in Unity without learning to code

I was hoping to beable to drop one of these Islands into the scene as a playable world
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/landscapes/free-island-collection-104753
    Now I'm not sure if thats a safe bet

I brought Invector's Third Person Controller asset BUT no dout trying to use that for characters will break so much here it's not funny

Unities Staff DON'T seem to reply they leave users to fend for them selves and guess, they are NOT it seems teaching best prcatice's just letting people use what ever works no matter how bad the is

Edit to follow up:
    I want to the appdata folders and deleted the cached data causing the error reloaded both Cinemachine and Postprocessing only to be left with 4 more errors

Assets/3DGamekit/Scripts/Game/Helpers/CameraSettings.cs(77,44): error CS1061: Type `Cinemachine.AxisState' does not contain a definition for `m_InvertInput' and no extension method `m_InvertInput' of type `Cinemachine.AxisState' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/3DGamekit/Scripts/Game/Helpers/CameraSettings.cs(78,44): error CS1061: Type `Cinemachine.AxisState' does not contain a definition for `m_InvertInput' and no extension method `m_InvertInput' of type `Cinemachine.AxisState' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/3DGamekit/Scripts/Game/Helpers/CameraSettings.cs(80,38): error CS1061: Type `Cinemachine.AxisState' does not contain a definition for `m_InvertInput' and no extension method `m_InvertInput' of type `Cinemachine.AxisState' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/3DGamekit/Scripts/Game/Helpers/CameraSettings.cs(81,38): error CS1061: Type `Cinemachine.AxisState' does not contain a definition for `m_InvertInput' and no extension method `m_InvertInput' of type `Cinemachine.AxisState' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  41. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Well i did not import any of these packs for some time now but but once i have done before it attempted to automatically install ( or something like this ) some packages. I simply had to restart the editor back then when i tried the 3d Game Kit. This might not be the case now but i guess it is related to the fact that they are moving most of these stuff on the package manager and some conflicts are happening with package version. So what i would try is to open the package manager and try to update the packs from there. It will probably override the existing version as it can detect it in general and actually shows you the version you have installed in the project. At least it does for me in other projects. The issue might be happening ( just guessing ) in case you are opening the project in incorrect Unity version.

P.S. - it is actually noted in the asset description that you will have to upgrade the packs using the package manager !

Hopefully you will get it to work and have fun with the packs guys :)

Runemark likes this.
  42. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Ok so I'll go back a version and see if that helps. Still does help that days later theres been NO word from Unity
    at all I really feel that's disgusting

Edit:

Saving post space, Seem it's not updateded as yet to 2018.2
    Manage to get things working, I tried to add one of the terrains from the Free Island pack
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/landscapes/free-island-collection-104753
    but she falls through it and dies, I'm not sure why as it a standard Unity terrain does she need a collsion capsule?

43. Runemark

Runemark

You can feel it, but you shouldn't... Keep in mind the project is just came out a few months ago, and it's free. Yes, Unity Tech made it, but it's still free. You can't really except a 24h support for a free product (or at least you should not).

It uses lot's of new features: the new package system, and the asset automatically imports and updates the necessary packages. Many of the problems appeared in this forum could come from this part.

The kit is a learning project. And learning comes from trial and error. Don't be angry if something doesn't work, keep calm and search for solutions.
    Beta versions are always problematic. If you are not prepared to errors, don't use beta release. (2018.2b is beta)

This is because Ellen doesn't collides with the terrain. If you scroll to my latest post here, I wrote how you can check which physic layer collides with which one. You could change it there, I don't really recommend to do that, the physics layer were designed this way for a reason (lots of component uses it). However you can change the layer of the gameobject.

In your case I think the terrain is on the Default layer. If you check the Plane in the _TemplateScene you will see, it is on the Environment layer. The solution is here to change the layer of your terrain to Environment.
    I know this isn't written anywhere yet, and hard to figure out if you are a beginner in that paricular area. But there is so much in this Kit that is not written... forexample there is a basic inventory and a quest system hidden in the folders too. :)

44. Runemark

Runemark

Try to restart Unity Editor. Another solution to Clear the consol. :D
    It might sounds funny, but if the error log disappears when you Clear the consol, that means the problem doesn't exists in the current project. Maybe it's just an error that occured in the process of importing the package, and doesn't have any effect on the project itself.

JamesArndt likes this.
  45. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

@Runemark Thats for the reply, I do understand what your saying, I don't exspect 24/7 support, I have found over the time I been trying, I have had more not replies at all rather than late ones

Again thanks for the hints on changing the layers

@Runemark May I ask what I'd do to have the ocean water show I'm using HyroFoam for my ocean, Thats the base of my change's that way I what a great space to build in, Maybe try get Eva or Adam in as charcaters

Runemark likes this.
  46. Runemark

Runemark

@Runemark May I ask what I'd do to have the ocean water show I'm using HyroFoam for my ocean, Thats the base of my change's that way I what a great space to build in, Maybe try get Eva or Adam in as charcaters[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I can't really help you with the ocean water, since I don't know this asset. Maybe you can ask the publisher of HyroFoam about it?
    In case of character retargeting I made a video tutorials about it. Check them out!

alexrau likes this.
  47. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

No amount of restarting in the world fixed it. It was a series of hard compiler errors that wouldn't allow play mode. I did fix this for anyone interested in the future. I simply deleted the project I imported it into. Created a fresh project and imported Cinemachine and the V2 Post Processing directly from the package manager. When I imported in the game kit and tested it out, everything worked without errors. The only thing I did differently this time around was: Initially I imported the V2 Post Processing from the Unity Github account and placed it in my project manually. Second time around I used the new Package Manager to import it.

Runemark likes this.
  48. PeppersGamer

PeppersGamer

I hope they make a list of compatible Asset store products such as The third person controller, Invector, PlayMaker, etc. Some of us have spent a ton of money on these and would like to integrate them with the 3D Game Kit. All in all it is a great learning source, but i'm afraid of importing some of my purchased assets.

49. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

@PeppersGamer I have managed to get very carfully ( scared S***less of breaking stuff lol) that free island pack I posted up a bit CTS Quite a bit of Infinity PBR bay Studios stuff in as well and HyroFoam water @Runemark its seems I'm a knucklehead lol I jus needed to add the water camera to any camera's in the scene and it shows with under water, them reset the death cube to suit the new terrain Artic Castle and Archmatric seem ok too. only error I got so far
    is:
    Assets/SFBayStudios/Editor/SFB_LoadWelcomeDungeon.cs(6,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `Startup'

Which is a small edit I think, and I'm thinking that'll give me a wealth of stuff to mess with while doing the tutorial content and walkthrough

I duplicate the scene and make sure I don't use the orginal so I can go back if I need to

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  50. saadneox

saadneox

Hello Guys Thanks for this spectacular asset to learn from ...i'm wondering if this supports mobile controls in it and if Not How to implement that ? thanks