Search Unity

Official 3D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, May 9, 2018.

1. LootHunter

LootHunter

Seriously, is it so hard to answer my question? I'm not asking something hard or demanding. Just if you're going to correct the tutorial by removing broken links and references to the manual about TransitionStart and TransitionDestination (which are not in the manual).

2. LootHunter

LootHunter

Note to moderator. After removing the ad above, can you ask someone from Unity Learn to come here and answer my questions about 3D Game Kit tutorial?

3. LootHunter

LootHunter

Ok, I'll just continue to repost my question, until someone will answer:
    Is anyone going to correct the tutorial by removing broken links and references to the manual about TransitionStart and TransitionDestination (which are not in the manual)?

4. LootHunter

LootHunter

Is anyone going to correct the tutorial by removing broken links and references to the manual about TransitionStart and TransitionDestination (which are not in the manual)?

5. LootHunter

LootHunter

6. LootHunter

LootHunter

7. LootHunter

LootHunter

8. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

Hi @LootHunter!

Sorry for the long delay. We've corrected the 3D Game Kit Reference Guide tutorial to remove broken links.

I'll check with the team about updating the included manual.

Thank you for your patience and for bringing it to our attention!

9. LootHunter

LootHunter

Great! What about the second part of my question? TransitionStart and TransitionDestination components. Will you add their description to the Reference Guide? Either the one in the tutorial or in pdf file?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  10. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

Yes, I'll be checking with the team to make sure we can appropriately define these components.

AbgaryanFX and LootHunter like this.
  11. LootHunter

LootHunter

Thank you very much. Can you tell, how much time that will take?

12. LootHunter

LootHunter

13. NattapolTumwasorn

NattapolTumwasorn

Hi All!

Recently, I was trying out 3D Game Kit project in Unity and encounter a problem.

I was trying to replicate the 180 degree turn according to "Ellen Animation" in the project but the legs slide as the Root rotate 180 degree.

With curiosity, I tried to put FBX file of "@EllenRunForwardBackwardTransition" into Maya and found out that the "Ellen_Root" rotates Y-axis 180 degree and the legs still stay in its position as if it has IK.

It seems that Ellen Rig has some unique way of constrain or control while the Root rotates. Or it could be the tool from Unity itself.

Could someone post me a link of the Ellen Rig in Maya? or explain how it was rigged?

14. LootHunter

LootHunter

Hello? It was like three weeks already. When are you going to add the definitions to the guide? I'm asking because you yourself said you're going to.

Look, if you're not going to add component definitions soon, just remove the passage:
    from the tutorial step here, so it wouldn't mislead people (when definitions are in place you can just add it back) and I'll put an issue at rest.

15. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

I'm sorry I've been unable to add an ETA on this addition to the downloaded materials. As you suggested, we've changed the text featured in the turorials.

The passage now defines the following as:

TransitionStart is the same prefab we used in the previous section; it "sends" the player to the destination. It contains a Transition Start Component, which defines all the properties for where the teleportation starts, and where the teleportation should take the player. Place this prefab where you want the transition to start.

TransitionDestination is a prefab which "receives" the player. It contains a Transition Destination Component. Place this prefab in a different Scene, where you want the transition to finish.

LootHunter likes this.
  16. zmand97

zmand97

Which GameObject has the giant enemy towards the end of the level? I can't find the proper GameObject or name of it.

17. LSPredator

LSPredator

Hi, the kit looks cool!
    How realize save and load system in this kit?

18. sunithanamadev75

sunithanamadev75

Hi brother, can you please send me the code of NavMeshAssetManager.cs of 3d game kit I have some bugs in my one so I will correct it by cross checking please send me brother

19. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

The big dude is a called the Grenadier. You can read more about him on step #11 here: https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/3d-game-kit-walkthrough

20. GregoryLane

GregoryLane

Save/Load is a little outside of the scope of this project. You should check out the Unity Asset Store for a component that would work for your p

21. jrf407

jrf407

Are there updated shaders for this project for the Universal Render Pipeline?

jojoblaze, febryan-deolis and Desoxi like this.
  22. Helienio

Helienio

Hi All, Im not programer, know the basic, Im try to put a system patroll to enemy in 3d gamekit but , have not sucess whit this. anyone have a idea where I can find more information to this. have see so much videos, sites, etc where have some explain to put a system patrol to enemy but no one work for me w/ 3d game kit. I apreciate a litle help w/ this. thanks

23. cirilomurruchuca

cirilomurruchuca

hi i tried to open the project but there was this error
    Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package
    Failed to import package C:\Users\Gamer\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Unity Technologies\Project\the-explorer-3d-game-kit.unitypackage
    is there any way to fix it?

24. Bhuvanms

Bhuvanms

when i am trying tp download the asset it says download can not be downloaded upload_2021-6-10_12-14-31.png upload_2021-6-10_12-14-22.png

25. unity_7854970DCAB4165C958F

unity_7854970DCAB4165C958F

I've just started using Unity and the free 3D Game Kit to mess around. Then Unity had an update, which caused a number of errors. Looking online for solutions I have fixed all but 2 errors.

TMP_PackageUtilities.cs: error CS0103: The name 'VersionControlSettings' does not exist in the current context

This occurs on two lines (586 and 1008) of the 3D Game kit provided script. I would be delighted for some suggestions on how to correct this error, since it is preventing me from playtesting the map.

Thanks!

26. Pixelith

Pixelith

It's an error with TextMeshPro. Try updating it through the package manager and see if that fixes it.

27. unity_7854970DCAB4165C958F

unity_7854970DCAB4165C958F

I was already using 3.0.6 released in April 2021. I uninstalled the TextMeshPro and then re-installed it, which worked.

Thank you!

28. OneAndOneIsTwo

OneAndOneIsTwo

The cinema chine camera far Clipping plane is locked at 5000 and cant be modified through the inspector. There is a cull layer distance script to where i can modify it further but it does not actually work when changing it. Is there any way to fix the limited view render distance since i wasn't to be able to see object far away please help, this is such a stupid thing for it to not work. Thanks. any help appreciated.

29. mangalamsrivastava2009

mangalamsrivastava2009

In my game kit, ellen dies on starting the game as if she is falling from somewhere and the same happens when I respawn and she sometimes hit invisible walls and dies which does not allow movement throughout the map.

30. mangalamsrivastava2009

mangalamsrivastava2009

Just use the latest version of unity, I had the same issue.

31. vuong_vin

vuong_vin

In approx 5days I can't download this asset in Package Manager [2020.2]. Sooo crazy and How Can I download it? Or any other direct link to get?

Thanks

32. rubyscott752

rubyscott752

that gotta be the oldest solution in the book bro :D

33. alex1st1

alex1st1

34. DaftPuzzler

DaftPuzzler

Well, what is your goal? Are you trying to learn certain techniques? Are you trying to make a specific genre of game?

35. alex1st1

alex1st1

my goal is to make an action-exploration game (actually Explorer itself looks as a good examle) while learning Unity best practices

36. impheris

impheris

the 3d game kit is an amazing tool for making those kind of games if you are a beginner and you want to avoid code. You can make an entirely game with that project, there is an official tutorial to learn how to use everything for that project and the tutorial is very good and there are others tutorials to replace the art with yours so i recommends you to use that.Those other kits you mentioned are more starting points and you will have to code other things you want to make to your game. Good luck

37. alex1st1

alex1st1

Thanks!
    The tutorials for replacing the art - do you have any examples please?

38. impheris

impheris

i can put some links here but is easier if you search in youtube for something like: unity 3d game kit change character
    i found at least 3 useful videos and other tutorial related to that kit :)

39. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

I would suggest that you don't look to the code behind the 3D GameKit for Unity best practices. Some of it is good but there are quite a number of details that are extremely odd. Oh, and there are straight-up bugs.

40. impheris

impheris

Hi, can you name some of those bugs you found? just one or two, please :)
    i want to use that project in the future, thanks

41. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

I would have to go back through oodles of code fixes and changes to identify them. I can give you pointers as to where the ones I remember fixing are but not the details on the exact fixes. One was in the attack collision check, as I recall, where a vector to determine direction was in the opposite direction of where it needed to be. Another was in the frame timing for updating the position of the staff in the hands of the player character. It was always off by one frame due to a misunderstanding of Unity's internal frame update processing.

In general, several systems were actually written in a frustratingly obtuse way so as to make discerning their purpose and operation very difficult. There is also evidence of features left half-completed or just-started, as though at some point Unity said "good enough; ship it" and cut off development/bugfixes.

At this point, the only things you see in updates are changes to ensure that the package imports with "latest Unity" without error.

42. initer

initer

Hello. Are these abilites (bottom right)

included in asset store packages?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  43. Pixelith

Pixelith

Download and find out. It's a free package, why wait for someone else to confirm it?

44. initer

initer

I tried to find it in imported project, but unfortunately without any results.

45. fingermask_unity

fingermask_unity

Looks Like interesting,, hmpp let me try!

initer likes this.
  46. R1PFake

R1PFake

I saw a news post about new Xbox game demos, one of them is called "The Chase of Ellen". Looks like they use this kit and didn't even change the name of the character. Is it a asset flip project or a Unity game?

47. Pixelith

Pixelith

In my opinion, 100% asset flip. I don't think they changed a single thing or made any additions to it.

48. 331520

Hello All!
    So no way at this moment to switch on audio?

49. Pixelith

Pixelith

What do you mean

50. Mfearnley

Mfearnley

Hi, I hope you managed to solve your problem, but in case you didn't, If you are triggering sound effects via animations, I might have a solution...I had the same issue when using Wwise. I was triggering sounds via animation events. there are events on Ellen's attack animations that reference no script and simply call functions called things like 'MeleeAttackStart' and 'MeleeAttackEnd'.

In my project I unwittingly replaced these events with ones that triggered sound events from Wwise. This is surprisingly easy to do because these function names look quite innocuous or part of some tutorial or course for the developer/designer to replace. This caused Ellen to not be able to attack anything in the game. After restoring these and simply adding new animation events around these, Ellen's ability to attack things was restored. Hope this helps!

SonicBloomEric likes this.