Search Unity

Official 3D Game Kit Official Thread

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, May 9, 2018.

1. PortalierSeb

PortalierSeb

Hi everyone,

I've got a small problem with the transition point prefab.
    I can't drag & drop Ellen on the object... so i can't make the transition to the next level.
    If someone got any idea on this.

Thanks a lot
    Seb

2. thalamus01

thalamus01

I set up "MovingPlatform" so that it moves along the x and y axes (upward and sideways). When the "MovingPlatform" moved upward with the character everything is ok, but when "MovingPlatform" with character move down, "MovingPlatform" slides out from under the feet and the character falls (the character moves only along the y axis)! How to fix that?

3. EmanuelPop

EmanuelPop

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to change Ellen's animations from generic to humanoid (so I can retarget her model). The problem is that after applying the change Ellen falls through the floor with half of her body and animations no longer work: she just moves in a t-pose.

What I did was:
    • Ellen's model import settings - changed animation type to humanoid.
    • All animations - changed type to humanoid, avatar source EllenAvatar.
    I'm using 3D Game Kit Lite and Unity version 2019.3.10f1.

Does anyone have an idea on this?

4. mostdoped

mostdoped

Hi,
    What is the best way to remove the staff.. I would like to have Ellen with a sword (24/7).. best case I want to remove ellen and use an archer instead. Is it possible? everytime I tried changing ellen, everything screws..

5. kocurekov

kocurekov

i have problem, all of terrains is dark blue

trihugger likes this.
  6. trihugger

trihugger

Same issue here.

7. nirta01

nirta01

WIth Unity 2019.3.11f1 and game kit 1.9, When I select any Vegetation Painter or Rock Painter, the brush does not appear in the scene view (only the normal pointer), and left click does not paint the vegetation (but selects the pointed object). Is there some known incompatibility with the last unity editor version ?

Drugsas and GoodSoldier1P1_7 like this.
  8. CyberBulletArts

CyberBulletArts

You need to be showing the gizmos in scene view

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Drugsas and GoodSoldier1P1_7 like this.
  9. bekimbicaku4

bekimbicaku4

I went to game kit 3d on terrain and set level01_04 but the ellen fell through it can help me

10. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

The Google Resonance Audio spatialization stuff is buggy as implemented (at least in the Lite version of this demo). The SFX volume slider does not work for sounds routed through its Mixer Group. The reason is explained at this GitHub Issue.

I would highly recommend that a maintainer for this project either find a way to work around this issue or remove the Google Resonance Audio dependency altogether. If it's necessary, adding support for this audio system could simply be made into a tutorial.

11. orangeblast

orangeblast

Hello, Please Help Me
    I have downloaded and imported the 3D Game Kit into Unity however If I go into the scene Leve 1 all of the Ground Terrain is black. I am guessing the textures are messed up so I tried changing them but I cannot fix them.
    I am using Unity 2019.2.17f1 and I don't know if I should use another one. Please Help Me find a fix to this Please.
    The Ground is completely black.
    upload_2020-5-5_18-5-36.png

12. bekimbicaku4

bekimbicaku4

Can I add zombie to game kit 3d
    Can you help with this?

13. orangeblast

orangeblast

Pls Help

14. orangeblast

orangeblast

15. nike_box

nike_box

Hello lady & gentlemen I need your help. I'm new in game developing and using this asset for learning Unity/FMOD sound design implementation. Throughout my experiments i got a problem, my Ellen's Weapon can't hit any Game Objects whether 'Enemies' or 'Destructibles'. What's the problem it might be?

16. dassoubarna

dassoubarna

Hi! Your video is just great. Did you record it with Unity Recorder?

17. Jeea84

Jeea84

Can anyone tell me why Ellen is working so hard to die? :)
    Been at it for three days now. Here's what happens:
    1. Start game, Ellen dies first, then respawns, then I can start playing.
    2. If I jump, just jump around, not on something, she dies. She does not die if I jump onto a platform or wall.
    3. If I lose all my health fighting around with the enemies, Ellen dies, respawns, dies again, respawns again, and repeats cycle until I just have to quit the game.
    I figure something might be wrong with the checkpoint for problems 1 and 3. I checked every single aspect, but nothing seems to be working. I used the default Levels 1 and 2 as my guide and followed the settings exactly, but it's still not working. Whether it's checkpoint 1, 2 or 3, this will happen.

As for error 2, the jump thing, I think it's a navmesh problem. But I don't really know how to go about it. I have a feeling my NavMesh map is way too high. Any idea how to change it?

Thanks in advance to whoever tries.

18. CyberBulletArts

CyberBulletArts

Great work on your level design! You have so much potential. Could you send me a download link so I can try this level out for myself?

19. pidgi2001

pidgi2001

Seems to be related to the Death Volume. There is an object with that name. Maybe it is set to high, on the Y axis. Just drag it down a bit. tell me id it helps.

20. pidgi2001

pidgi2001

Sorry, I do not understand. please, give more explications in other words. Maybe I could help

21. LootHunter

LootHunter

Hello. Can anyone explain to me why enemies go through walls?

I mean, when I place a wall that isn't baked into NavMesh Surface, enemies (like ones in Nightmare Project) just stop bumping into it. But in 3D Game Kit Chompers just go through walls like it doesn't exist, even if I place Rigidbody on them. I can only guess that animation still overrides physics and collisions somehow, but I can't find where. Can someone help me to find it and make walls and closed doors to be obstacles?

22. LootHunter

LootHunter

Can you also update tutorial and/or 3D Game Kit Documentation? They are clearly "out of sync" - tutorial mentiones "Interact Pressed" option for teleporters, but player character isn't even able to interact at all! Or, for example, there is nothing about TransitionStart and TransitionDestination in the Project Documentation and yet in the "Walkthrough", I'm told that there is.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  23. LootHunter

LootHunter

Btw, is there any Documentation on TransitionStart and Transition Destination that can be found now?

24. Tygman

Tygman

the destination enum is in SceneTransitionDestination script...you put TransitionPoint script on the object and define the tag there that your warping from the field would be player, different zone, new scene name (like level2), tag(one of the enums like A) , Transition when - On trigger enter, and if it requires an inventory check

25. Tygman

Tygman

If they are just temporary use the trail effect and change the mat on the staffswish meshes, For blood on the character copy the character mesh for a second effect and change the skin mesh renderer which can be turned off and triggered..like ellens shield does

26. LootHunter

LootHunter

27. unity_nH7UJywRZd_jqw

unity_nH7UJywRZd_jqw

Hey guys,
    I want to retract the hatch of the dropship and rotate the engines and wings. I don't know how, could someone help me please?
    I know that its possible somehow because I saw a video of it here: https://player.vimeo.com/video/266654629

28. LootHunter

LootHunter

Are you sure that you're doing everything as Tutorial says? Is the surface you want to paint on set its Layer to "Environment"?

29. pidgi2001

pidgi2001

Maybe I could suggest one thing. Just be sure the layer the walls are on is “Environment”

30. LootHunter

LootHunter

Yes. I did try that before. But, as I've said, it was something about NavMesh Agent overriding all collisions.

Btw, don't you by chance know if there is more complete documentation on 3D Game Kit components than in pdf "Component Guide"? For example, pdf doesn't include documentation on Transition Points and some other stuff.

31. Sh4d0wm4st3r

Sh4d0wm4st3r

Very awesome kit I been messing with it for a while now and was wondering is there a way to add new assets to it and be able to use them with in the same environment as the others?
    I was wanting to add new weapons and add some new monsters and a few more characters and try to get this to be a multiplayer environment so me and my friends can go in and play all the crazy levels I created.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  32. LootHunter

LootHunter

Obviously, you can. At least in the component guide is said as much. But I think that in the end, you'll still need to code a bit.

33. crimsonhydrax

crimsonhydrax

Is there any way to change Ellen's Avatar? I used VRoid to make one, and converted the file to FBX.

34. SylarBlood

SylarBlood

Hi ! I'm a total beginner on Unity !
    I want to follow the "3D Game Kit" instructions but at the beginning, as the intro video suggests, I tried to launch the scene but all these errors appeared and blocked me from playing it.
    At this point, I just imported and opened the program.
    Can someone help me ?

I tried to quit and relaunch the Project but now there are also 999+ errors every ten seconds

Attached Files:

35. LootHunter

LootHunter

I wonder if 3D Game Kit project is abandoned at this point. There are gaps in documentation and tutorial that aren't fixed. Questions in this thread are not answered (and there weren't Unity representatives here for a long time).

36. OfficalUntitledGames

OfficalUntitledGames

lol

37. hamagc

hamagc

For those that are learning for the first time using this kit, my advice is research. In the past month of using unity and this kit, I was able to retarget my character, add other characters, add a ranged weapon (bow and arrows in this case) and convert it to mobile. I've learned how animations work and have been able to add other animations to extend attack combos, straffe when aiming bow and crouching. I've changed staffs into swords, added my own effects to them, and this week, I made Ellen a companion AI that attacks enemies and shoots a crossbow.

This kit has been an amazing first intro to unity. Many answers are in this thread. Many other answers are on this forum and others.

Up next, creating custom characters in fuse and starting to make some custom levels. I've also been playing with procedurally generated levels but not sure if I want to go that route yet. Hopefully it'll be in the play store in the next few months!

38. LootHunter

LootHunter

Sorry, but I indeed had to look up for answers all over the forum. Plus look into the code because some components aren't working properly and documentation has lots of holes. (Luckily, I have some C# knowledge)

So, while I agree that 3D Game Kit has a lot of potential for research and customization, as well as it can be a good template for 3D action-adventure game, this package is not a good "intro" to Unity.

39. VoiderMoon

VoiderMoon

Trying to Retarget Ellen but it fails at this step like @EmanuelPop

After
    1:change Ellen to Humanoid
    2:animationsclips humanoid

Ellen is half in the ground and moving with no animations

Any fixes?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  40. Akant0r

Akant0r

hi im trying to use the 3d game kit as a starting project but I cant seem to configure it to use a different character. I tried changing the Ellen character rig to humanoid and the animations but I end up with something like this. I dont know if this is a root motion issue or something but that being said I think this game kit is supposed to be like a starting off point for making games especially for people who are more artistically inclined but its a bit too uncustomizable right now. these issues also affect the attack animations, the character doesnt face forward when attacking. I hope somebody can reply to this.

Attached Files:

41. siprion69

siprion69

I cant move my character using arrows or wsad but i can jump around or attack, does anyone else have the same problem?

minusdavid likes this.
  42. Jairusx

Jairusx

Can i use this in URP built project?

jojoblaze likes this.
  43. cyrox7

cyrox7

Yes I have the same problem. I don't know how to solve it

minusdavid likes this.
  44. ReflexiveFox

ReflexiveFox

me too, tried to google it but didn't find anything

minusdavid likes this.
  45. minusdavid

minusdavid

Yes, I just downloaded this project today (after having success with every other beginner project I tried), and found that I couldn't walk/run. I could just jump/attack. Very frustrating.

Really hoping that someone either has a solution or that Unity has an update for it.

46. minusdavid

minusdavid

Downloaded "The Explorer: 3D Game Kit" using Unity Hub this afternoon. Opened it through Unity Hub in Unity 2019.4.2f1 Personal.

On Step Two of https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/qu...4897edbc2a001fd5bdd0#5c7f8528edbc2a002053b741, which indicates "We have made a tool that can create a scene with everything you need to have some ground and Ellen, our hero, able to run around and attack.".

There's no errors in the Console that I have observed.

47. LunaDad

LunaDad

WASD FIX. You need to go Assets, 3DGamekit, Prefabs, Characters, Ellen. Then Inspector (top right in default view), Animator, click Ellen, Hierachy View (top Left). Then LocomotionBlendTree, then click on missing motion boxes (right icon) and add ellen walk forward etc from the hierarchy box on the right side. Click on blend tree and set up missing motion reference on inspector: - "Ellen_WalkForward" - "Ellen_RunForward" - "Ellen_RunForward" leave every other setting as they were.

48. minusdavid

minusdavid

Hey, LunaDad.

I did opened Assets > 3DGamekit > Prefabs > Characters > Ellen.

I went to the Inspector (top right in default view), went to Animator, and clicked Ellen... but then your instructions don't make any more sense? How is the Hierarchy View (top left) relevant? I don't see LocomotionBlendTree anywhere.

jonnymorris and roselinesesay like this.
  49. minusdavid

minusdavid

If I go to Assets > 3DGamekit > Art > Animations > Animators > Characters > Ellen, I can see a "Base Layer" similar to https://kybernetik.com.au/animancer/docs/examples/animator-controllers/3d-game-kit/

Ok... if I double-click on "LocomotionSM", then double-click on "Locomotion", I see "LocomotionBlendTree" next to the "Motion" label in the Inspector.

If I double-click on "LocomotionBlendTree", it says "Missing (Motion)" instead of "EllenWalkForward", "EllenRunForward", and "EllenRunForward" as per https://kybernetik.com.au/animancer/docs/examples/animator-controllers/3d-game-kit/locomotion/

This seems like a bug or an oversight on Unity's part. I didn't see anything about assigning animations in the Tutorials, so... yeah... not great.

But we can choose the correct motions by clicking on the little circle to the right of "Missing (Motion)".

I just tested that and it worked.

Cheers to LunaDad for getting me most of the way there.

Hopefully the Unity team will fix the 3D Game Kit files, so people won't have to do this every time.

matiasges and LootHunter like this.
  50. cyrox7

cyrox7

Thanks for the tips. why isn't everyone getting this? Ellen now gets locked running forward when I release 'w', does anyone get this?