Search Unity

Official 3D Game Kit Beta Feedback

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Aurore, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ym7596

ym7596

Thanks MAn! I fixed export problem.

2. konsic

konsic

Would it work with 2017.4 if there is no SRP ?

3. aymric

aymric

Learning from this kit is so much fun ! Thank you Team Unity !

4. shohan4556

shohan4556

Unable to download from assetstore, stuck on the same page
    the file size is very large, is there anyway to download it from torrent.

5. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@JacekPapaPolski just curious, will there be a blog post about the optimization you guys did for 3d gamekit? i'm mostly wondering what happened with the fireflies effect why it is so performance taxing, a bug in particles? (not a pun, i swear)

Aurore likes this.
  6. neoshaman

neoshaman

Can't wait to try this on my GT705 which is as low you can get with a modern GPU :D But I have a 4 cores intel Core I7 6700 3.4Ghz, so the real bottleneck will be the GPU
    Nvidia geforce gt 705
    ROPs/TMUs 8/8
    48 unified shader units
    Dx 11
    Pixel fillrate: 1.7 Gpx/s
    Texel Fillrate: 7 GTx/s
    1024 DDR3
    Bandwidth 11.2 GB/s 64bits
    Clock 874Mhz
    Memory 700Mhz
    Shader 1747Mhz
    CUDA, OPENCL, Direct compute 5
    That will be something lol

A minor nitpick is about the skin shader, the character is brownish in 2d art but lighting overpower her skin colors! Being brown myself I notice it looks wrong. Now it's not specific to this project, many game have the same problem, like Unchatred 4 or watch_dog 2, I think it's something people don't notice unless they are brown themselves, I almost no game who get that right. I have dedicated a folder to this problem and it is something I'll investigate personally when I have time.

7. neoshaman

neoshaman

Another thing, if you evolve using the same asset into a diet coke skyrim lite kits, what I mean is showing how to manage streaming of terrain, system, lighting and objects that would be fun!

In fact just using the same assets and character and declining them in different type of game kits to increase the speed of release, maybe with only one or two addition to amortize the cost of creating them, would be a great strategy. And might be fun for the team to expend the universe they are creating in them, making a Ellen a recurring character having different adventure lol.

8. UnityGuillaume

UnityGuillaume

Unity Technologies

As we're gathering data on performance on different machines, curious about what make you say they are expensive? Do you have a profiler data that look like it's hogging all the resources? Or is it that when you disable them it run faster on your machine?

Particles can be expensive, cause translucency is involved etc. and even more with thing using animation & complex paths like the firefly. Now they shouldn't be excessively expensive but lower quality settings may benefit from removing them. We're adding a couple of simple switches that disables/change some things (cull distance of decoration, post process profile etc..) depending on quality settings.

You're totally right, lots of skin model are made/develop with white/fair skins data set, which lead to computation model don't modelling darker skin properly especially on high intensity light. We're using standard simplified Subsurface scattering with some toonish lighting which probably lead to that mistake, but it's totally something I want to dedicate more time when I'll get some. If your investigation lead to some pointers/better ideas, please don't hesitate to share, I'll happily correct this!

It's nice to see that other people like Ellen adventures too! But we have other projects plans that are not gamekits for the coming year. (But between you and me, I'll keep on trying to push for some Ellen cameos :p )

neoshaman likes this.
  9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

For some reason it only happened on level02, it take the performance a lot. By disable them the fps increase a lot.

Edit :
    Okay there's two fireflies effect in level02, Fireflies and FireFlys.
    Fireflies are the culprit

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    UnityGuillaume likes this.
  10. WolfDreamer

WolfDreamer

[Auto Package Error] : connect EACCES 75.126.118.184:443
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    PackageChecker:Update() (at Assets/Scripts/Editor/PackageManagerAssembly/PackageManagerChecker.cs:94)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Assets/Scripts/Game/Helpers/CameraSettings.cs(27,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `CinemachineFreeLook' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/Scripts/Game/Localization/TranslatedText.cs(1,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `TMPro' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

I got the latest version, Unity 2018.1.0b13 (64-bit), and the latest version of 3d-game-kit-beta, I import everything from it just fine. But I still get errors that something is missing. Anyone else have this problem? I close it and then restart it, but still got problems. Do I have to buy the pro version to test out the beta? Is there something my firewall is blocking? I already have it set to allow everything that starts with the name Unity.

pedro-jams likes this.
  11. fhl41

fhl41

maybe please add ellen as a humanoid not generic
    for non programmers maybe please add save and load in the mainmenu and to save ingame
    maybe one more weapon a pistol for non programmers would be very nice to have:)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  12. MikHaven

MikHaven

Unfortunately I think this is a dangerous and bad asset store package. I have an INSANE computer with a 6 core processor and 16 gigs of ram. *AMD processor*

Saw what it was doing to my computer, and had to give up after an hour or so. It barely got 5% of the way through. I had to force quit the program, before it caused irreparable harm to my computer.

https://ibb.co/mr9aU7

If that doesn't work or you don't want to view an image online This is what it was doing
    It clocked my CPU @ 100% and would even freeze the computer when it pushed the CPU past 100%
    (While a computer SHOULD run at 100% efficiently, this is a engine and you can't red-line a car for very long before you blow out the computer.)

I realize Unity isn't Multithreaded, BUT still. Its funny I was watching a Talk by the Tech guy over at Unity he said he wanted Unity to run at 30 milliseconds. ROFL nothing runs that fast in unity, and here you have invasive broken projects being shared to destroy peoples computers. I realize I am one of a few who probably experience this. But I need my computer.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  13. WolfDreamer

WolfDreamer

It took me hours to import it, but you only have to do that once. My computer isn't nearly as nice as yours. I don't think you can make the processor go past 100% unless you did something to your computer, and that would of course burn out the cooling fan. I'm hoping Unity doesn't have some sort of code that can force that to happen.

14. DominoM

DominoM

Usually if a CPU intensive program is slowing down or pausing your system, it means the cooling isn't good enough. The CPU speed gets throttled automatically to try and prevent overheating and can cause the symptoms you are seeing. The over 100% could be due to measuring across a CPU speed drop say halfway through running at 100% it drops to 80%, an average work of 90%. Depending on if it uses the 100% cpu availability or the 80% affects the stats: 90/100 90%, 90/80 112.5% - so that's probably just a display bug rather than a CPU overload, but I'd check your temperatures and replace / upgrade any fans as needed. Some high speed systems are built for office work, where calculating a spreadsheet is the intended use and the standard cooling won't support longer intense work.

15. dswatik

dswatik

This takes like 1900 years to import the package...

16. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

it's totally strange why people getting long time to import the project, in my laptop it's around 30-40 minutes,
    and it's not even maxed my cpu usage, since i still can use my browser just fine

JoelQ likes this.
  17. Redeye44

Redeye44

I have restarted Unity a couple of times but I keep getting these errors. not sure what to do...Can't test play.

Attached Files:

18. UnityGuillaume

UnityGuillaume

Unity Technologies

Can you verify in Window > Package manager if Cinemachine need an update? Next to the button with "Remove" on the top right of the windows, you may have a button "Update to" and click that button to update (we are working on fixing the automatic packages pulling for the full release!)

forum_help_package.png

OmiCroh likes this.
  19. WolfDreamer

WolfDreamer

When I look at Window > Package manager Cinemachine and other things listed in your screenshot aren't there. I download and import them from the asset store, and they still aren't listed. I close and then restart Unity, and its still not listed there.

20. Redeye44

Redeye44

Thanks for the info on the Updates however it doesn't loo like it corrected the issue...

Attached Files:

21. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's tangential, but can unity release the alt form of Otori Kohaku, I mean unity chan, aka the Akaza form? She is been used in two demo product (vocaloid 4 and phantom knowledge), but she isn't on the asset store :(

22. UnityGuillaume

UnityGuillaume

Unity Technologies

The package use the package manager, which isn't linked to the asset store. You don't need to get the package from the asset store, just add them from the PackageManager.
    There is a script that should do that in the project automatically, but if it fail, you can find the package in the `All` Tab of the Package manager (don't forget to remove the one you got from the asset store from your project as otherwise they would override the package manager one).

23. UnityGuillaume

UnityGuillaume

Unity Technologies

Hum the error seems to point at the package itself failing to compile...Did you import the project in an empty project or in an existing project you worked in already?

Can you try to remove the package (through the remove button in the package manager) and then add it again (from the All tab of the package manager).

If it don't work you can go to the folder shown (C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache) and delete all folder with com.unity.cinemachine in the name it should trigger a redownload of the package when you reopen Unity. Please let me know if this fix it because that would be some kind of bug with the package manager I'll try to pass along the team handling that!

24. WolfDreamer

WolfDreamer

There is nothing at all listed in the All tab It just says There are no packages.

I'm using Unity 2018.1.0b13 (64-bit).

25. UnityGuillaume

UnityGuillaume

Unity Technologies

You got nothing, even in the In project tabs? If you're not connected to internet or the editor can't pass the firewall, the remote package won't be there, but you should at least see the packages that are packaged with Unity (PackageManagerUi etc..)

26. WolfDreamer

WolfDreamer

My firewall is letting past everything that begins with "Unity". What else needs to get through it?

Package Manager, under the In Project tab shows Ads, Analytic Library, Analytics Standard Events, In App Purchasing, Package Manager UI, and Postprocessing. That's it. And if I click on the All tab, it says "There are no packages."

-Edit to update-
    I got the latest version of Zonealarm, replacing my older version that was causing the problems. So that solves that particular problem.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  27. Redeye44

Redeye44

The first time I had imported the project from Asset Store. The second time I created a new project and included it with the initial project build. Both same results.

However, looking into the Unity/cache folder. It doesn't have CinemachineSmoother.cs. I have deleted and reinstalled the project a few times already..is there a way for me to just download the CinemachineSmoother.cs. file?

Thanks

28. UnityGuillaume

UnityGuillaume

Unity Technologies

Adding package in the original project creation (meaning from this right? =>

newcreation.png

will still add the assets the same than importing from the asset store. This should not be done and only be done throught the package manager in the window menu.

You should have no cinemachine file in your projects at all.
    If there is a cinemachine folder inside your assets folder, it will try to use that one and will interfere with the package manager one.

As for the CinemachineSmoother I think it was removed in latest version as it was broken and wasn't working properly.

29. Stan_Art

Stan_Art

Hi, i downloaded the kit and dragged level01 into the hierachy, but i got this weird lightning bug
    https://imgur.com/a/7U8Ax

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  30. WillNode

WillNode

This is a huge advancement. I'm amazed with its state-of-the-art quality.

But yeah, running it was painful. I got a med-high CPU/GPU spec (AMD A9 Radeon R5, 3 GHz/800 MHz) but with Low RAM (4 GB, GPU shared 2 GB). Quite surprised that the project takes a lot of RAM (was freezing whole computer). Maybe I should buy more RAM.

^ btw I managed to play it with lowest quality and eighth texture res, 15-20 FPS. Here's memory breakdown I found:

Level 1:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Used Total: 3.69 GB   Unity: 2.67 GB   Mono: 18.5 MB   GfxDriver: 0.64 GB   FMOD: 85.8 MB   Video: 0 B   Profiler: 384.1 MB  
    3. Reserved Total: 3.98 GB   Unity: 2.94 GB   Mono: 50.1 MB   GfxDriver: 0.64 GB   FMOD: 85.8 MB   Video: 0 B   Profiler: 412.0 MB  
    4. Total System Memory Usage: 4.76 GB  
    6. Textures: 2644 / 1.91 GB
    7. Meshes: 2089 / 1.12 GB
    8. Materials: 204 / 0.5 MB
    9. AnimationClips: 82 / 18.4 MB
    10. AudioClips: 281 / 81.6 MB
    11. Assets: 11915
    12. GameObjects in Scene: 19473
    13. Total Objects in Scene: 75390
    14. Total Object Count: 87305
    Level 2:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Used Total: 2.74 GB   Unity: 2.29 GB   Mono: 18.6 MB   GfxDriver: 351.5 MB   FMOD: 55.0 MB   Video: 0 B   Profiler: 107.8 MB  
    3. Reserved Total: 3.43 GB   Unity: 2.93 GB   Mono: 50.1 MB   GfxDriver: 351.5 MB   FMOD: 55.0 MB   Video: 0 B   Profiler: 160.0 MB  
    4. Total System Memory Usage: 4.41 GB  
    6. Textures: 2618 / 1.86 GB
    7. Meshes: 3638 / 443.0 MB
    8. Materials: 207 / 0.6 MB
    9. AnimationClips: 78 / 19.0 MB
    10. AudioClips: 271 / 52.6 MB
    11. Assets: 18859
    12. GameObjects in Scene: 13445
    13. Total Objects in Scene: 49802
    14. Total Object Count: 68661
    15. GC Allocations per Frame: 575 / 32.0 KB
    (both taken during beginning of game, and seems consistent over time during playing the level)

Anybody can share memory breakdown when running in fantastic mode? (so I can see if 8 GB is enough?)

31. WillNode

WillNode

And about the gameplay, it was fun! Although I found couple of issues like:

+ The default mouse X speed feels too high/sensitive than usual when using touchpad. I have to change the max speed from 500 to 200.
    + There are no health bar to big blue mech, so I kinda have to guessing if my attack was hit or not. (world-space floating UI usage is what I'm excited to see)
    + Another missing collider and shader glitch on Level 2:

Screenshot (334).png
    (the glitch is happening if the camera is inside the tree (which has collider disabled), altough I'm unsure why)

32. Redeye44

Redeye44

Got it to finally install,Runs great!

UnityGuillaume likes this.
  33. Redeye44

Redeye44

Ellen as a humanoid character would be great to switch out to your own characters.

34. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Hey!

Thank you all so much for your feedback this has been extremely valuable for this project <3

We've just updated the package, we have;

• Improved performance, this should be running smoother, also added an automatic hardware detection into the editor, the quality settings will change based on your hardware. This is still adjustable manually though. Keep in mind though, the first time you open and play in the editor you may get the occasional tiny spike, the second run should fine. (This is an Editor behaviour, not much we can do for that one in particular).

• Got rid of that pesky Package Manager needing to restart after project import (yey).

• Tweaked post effects, it should be looking real nice now.

• Sound is balanced.

• Project is completely re-organised, renamed and tidy!
    This is still for 2018.1b13 and above for now and there is currently no documentation. Once 2018.1 is out we will update the project again so you don't get the warning and include all the documentation in the project and on learn (we just haven't quite finalised the docs yet sorry).

What is unlikely to change is import time, and for now it's a smidge longer due to the Automatic Package Manager scripts we have included.

We're still accepting bugs of course, please post about your experience and we'll do our best to respond.

Aurore

Redeye44 and Vagabond_ like this.
  35. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi, i gave the first level a quick run. Much cleaner now and like twice as faster.
    Did not see any issues at first.
    Will go more in depth in build and check for issues later and will test both levels as well.

Thanks !

36. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

i'm getting this error
    Assets/3DGamekit/Scripts/Editor/NewSceneCreator.cs(60,45): error CS0122: `ProBuilder.EditorCore.pb_Editor' is inaccessible due to its protection level

Main Menu Hover Button Glitch
    https://imgur.com/qnf4xDX

Level2
    Wall Collider too thin?
    upload_2018-4-22_3-58-30.png

Honest Question, No interaction with water, No Splash, No Ripple, nothing?
    upload_2018-4-22_4-0-40.png

Still a lot of ground collider uneven in level2, that block the player from moving, suddenly trigger jump state etc.

On My first play in level2 i found some random fps hiccup, but mostly the fps just run stable and perform better than previous version. i'll try to repro it.

Sneaky. . . . :D
    upload_2018-4-22_4-10-54.png

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  37. thanhle

thanhle

Hi !
    I can use the model 3d in your project for my game ?

38. zenGarden

zenGarden

From artistic perspective, the player attacks doesn't have any impact hit effects on monsters, has it been fixed ?
    Is there a strong attack with camera shake effect ?

39. Aurore

Aurore

Thank you for taking a look and reporting.

When do you get this error?

We also got this but only on the very very edge of the collider and it was hard to repro, maybe a resolution thing? What aspect ratio have you go the game view in?

We wanted to, ended up being a 'nice to have' in the end.

We'll also take a look at the collider issues.

:p just one of possibly many Easter Eggs from past never released projects.

40. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Just after importing the latest packages, i ended up commenting that line.
    Uhh the error was gone after i update probuilder from package manager to 306

16:9 game view was maximized, it seems there's a bug in the ui collider.
    i leave the editor playing and stay on start menu for around 10-20 minutes.
    and suddenly even when the cursor was in the middle of the button it also glitched (flickering just the same as the cursor was on the collider edge)
    UIGlitch.gif

Make sense, it's just kinda jarring for me. But hey maybe you guys can add it after the beta, right now just focus on bug fix and performance stability, i'm still can't create the fps hiccup repro, kinda random :/

also

For the boss we should hit the stone in the middle of the body isn't? it's just for some reason it really hard to do that since we cannot direct the attack. edit: Oh wait, i do hit those rock. for some reason the rock sometimes doesn't turned red when getting hit.
    and the boss sound effect seems not sync for me.

Ellen has a gun, why can't we use it?

Just a small nitpick, why the loading part always freeze the main thread? didn't you guys solved this when working on the Fontainebleau demo?

At Level2 for some reason sometimes the enemy are going through these rock when they are running around
    upload_2018-4-23_22-0-52.png

i'm waiting for him to fall into the acid pool and die by himself
    aiglitch.gif

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  41. Aurore

Aurore

Ok, hmm we should be pulling in the latest package of Pro Builder. We'll take a look.

Thanks for more info on this one we'll look into it.

They need to be hit from behind, I think we make mention of that when the first one appears, I need to double check.

It was a feature that unfortunately had to be cut if we were ever going to finish this project, however we thought we would still provide assets that we created in case anyone wants to do something with them. We also included extra animations for Ellen and an Extra character too that were cut.

Summoning @JacekPapaPolski for this one.

He has thrown himself in for me once, but only once.

Thank you again for all of these it's super helpful.

Reanimate_L likes this.
  42. Rebalgames786

Rebalgames786

This Give Me And Error
    Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package
    UnityEditor.Web.JSProxyMgr:DoTasks() How To Resolve It

43. Game-Dragon

Game-Dragon

I still haven't figured out how to get this kit running. I've installed from a new project about 4 or 5 times now, and I've restarted the editor several times on each project. It's quite frustrating because it takes so long to import each attempt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding, 2018.1.0b13 is supposed to automatically import the missing packages, but that's not happening. Is there something I need to toggle for this or something?

upload_2018-4-23_17-58-38.png

I've also tried installing both Cinemachine and TMPro from the Asset Store, but I still get compiler errors.

Edit: I've figured it out now! Had to run it as administrator. Package Manager wasn't cooperating otherwise. I installed all the required packages from the manager manually afterwards and it worked fine.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  44. Aurore

Aurore

Have you got enough space on your hard drive?

Ah thank you for figuring this out this is good to know and will help others if they run into similar problems. Just for a little extra info, are you on Windows 10?

45. Dirtyballz

Dirtyballz

My PC is i7 4790k 4.0GHz 2x GTX 970 and 16gb ram

Hi Thank you Unity for this kit
    I am not sure if this is relevant but I just installed this on Unity 2018.2.0b1 I got 14 errors when project started
    and restarting didn't fix any but after importing cinemachine and probuilder form package manager errors went
    and all was good I thought not sure If I missed anything but I get the staff at least I think its a staff but I can't
    break any breakables or damage the little pink guys they kill me fast please let me know If I missed anything
    will check tomorrow if I need to change anything but with no docs its hard for novice like me to know hope the other info I gave helps with other bugs

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  46. Dirtyballz

Dirtyballz

Hi again
    I downloaded and installed 2018.1.0b13
    ran as admin and imported 3d Game Kit into fresh project opened with no errors and I can now damage enemies and breakables but I get 24 errors when I try to build and run and it fails is this normal in the Beta?

47. Quadropups

Quadropups

I second this.
    I didn't count but it does indeed give a ton of errors when I try to build it.

48. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Found a missing texture in "Level01 Teleporter Profile" in "Chromatic Aberration"

49. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Thanks guys for the continued bug reports!
    The build errors have been fixed and the package will be updated shortly. The other issues will be fixed and updated at a later date, around the time the kit will be coming out of Beta (which is still soon).

The only issue we can't do anything about is the UI button flickering issue as unfortunately that's a bug with the UI system and not our kit - we'll pass it on to the UI team.

WillNode likes this.
  50. fhl41

fhl41

for non-programmers i like to have small inventory backpack menu to collect Explorer pickups, maybe idea :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.