Search Unity

3D Beginner: Tutorial "EndGame" Script Issue

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by SandboxRuckus, May 27, 2019.

1. SandboxRuckus

SandboxRuckus

Partway through the tutorial Unity changed the capitalization of the word "gameObject" in just this one "if statement". Started off as "if (other.gameObject == player)" and then in a later editing session of the tutorial the line reads "if (other.GameObject == player)".
    screen-capture-10.png

This causing compile errors and makes most all scripts in the game not be applied to game objects, they pop up a window that reads.
    “Cant add script behavior ***************. The script needs to derive from MonoBehaviour!”
    screen-capture-8.png

I don't know if this was an intentional thing by unity, but its cost me 2 days trying to figure out what i did wrong and as a beginner with no coding experience this was rough. So i didn't do anything wrong i was just following Unity's bad instructions.

2. JacekPapaPolski

JacekPapaPolski

Unity Technologies

Hey SandboxRuckus,

Thanks for reporting this to us! The tutorial has now been updated to fix this issue. If you spot any more issues, or have questions/feedback to share we have a dedicated forum thread for each of our projects, here is the one for John Lemon:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/john-lemons-haunted-jaunt-3d-beginner-official-thread.661834/

And the rest can be accessed through:

https://forum.unity.com/forums/community-learning-teaching.23/

Good luck with the rest of the projects and your Unity journey!

3. SandboxRuckus

SandboxRuckus

JacekPapaPolski

Sorry for posting it here, I looked for a dedicated thread for the john lemon project but never check the "Teaching & Certification" area because i thought that was the paid school area only.

Anyways thanks for fixing the issue, maybe others won't run into the trouble i did.

thanks again

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
unityunity