Search Unity

Question Black Asset silhouette Preview

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by craigjwhitmore, May 19, 2020.

1. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

In the Project view when I enlarge the view to show the items in a selected folder, all I see are black silhouettes, rather than a coloured images. When the item is selected, the inspector shows a lit 3d image correctly, as does adding the item to the scene.

Here's an example.
    unity project.png

Donopardo likes this.
  2. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

Does anyone know how to fix this please?

If I use HDRP, the entire box is black, as well as the inspector shows a white silhouette on a black background.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  3. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

In a standard project, Reimporting fixes the issue, however Reimporting the assets in HDRP. Other asset packages can appear purple on black.

unity project 2.png

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  4. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

Opening the default HDRP project, assets don't show, only grey boxes are present. When reimport is applied, assets show as black & white. 1.png 2.png

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      31.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Donopardo

Donopardo

Hi! Did you find a solution?

6. craigjwhitmore

craigjwhitmore

No real solution. I think it's an issue with Unity's internal shader, it doesn't support a DX11 feature that is not present in older cards, and there is no override in the shader to handle it.

The only way I managed to sort it out, was to reload each asset individually, although this isn't reliable, sometimes it works, most times, it doesn't.

7. joeyloey

joeyloey

I had the same issue, I tried to reimport package - didn't work
    But if I right click on the asset and select "Reimport" it works...you can click to folder as well to fix all assets inside

8. SammmZ

SammmZ

Hello from 2023.
    I use Unity 2022.2 with a freshly installed HDRP 14 and default settings. The same issue is here, previews are black. When the item is selected, the inspector shows a black preview as well, but as soon as you click once on the preview window it appears lighted correctly.