Search Unity

Assets 3d asset pack in development, could use community input and ideas.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by mlhornbo, Nov 22, 2018.

1. mlhornbo

mlhornbo

I am actively working on expanding an asset pack consisting of plants and other common objects, the sort that would be found in various landscapes. Right now I've got some water plants including alligator weed, cattails, lilypads and lilies, ferns, and grasses. Here's an image displaying some of those models:

I have more rough plans for things to include in the package before it progresses from a cheap (under $2) item currently being sold and discussed in an early form on Itch.IO, to also being submitted as a similarly priced Unity asset pack, including:

Trees. I'm thinking oak, birch, pine, elm, palm, maybe fir and spruce. Many of these with leafless, autumn, and green variants. What other trees do you think would belong in a pack of textured plant models? I'm looking for responses from Unity game devs related to what they would find useful.

Rocks, stumps, twigs and branches. Some pebbles, some mossy rocks, snow covered rocks, etc.
    Maybe a few mushrooms? Are there other random underbrush items that you think would be useful?

-more grasses, including some grasses with wildflowers. I'm wondering which flowers would be most useful here, again.

-Shrubs and bushes. Some of them flowering? But which types do you all want?

-Cacti and desert plants, for dry climates. If you want to suggest particular dry-climate plants, you can do so.

-anything else you think to suggest that would prove useful for outdoor landscape areas. Ivy maybe or something?

In general, it's likely the pack will expand to 60 or more items, and probably some of the ideas will come from suggestions made here. So if there's something you'd like included, speak up!

Finally, what model formats would be ideal for most of you? I currently have .FBX and .OBJ meshes textured with .PNG maps mostly, and occasionally .JPGs with minimal compression, and can transition all that to already-textured prefabs when I submit it to Unity's Asset Store, but if you all think something else would work better I'd like to hear from you.

Finally, any other relevant comments or constructive criticism of the plans I've outlined will be taken into consideration. For example, you might request more stylized versions ['cartoon' or 'painterly' or 'low poly'] or maybe you feel my existing content, from what you've seen, needs improvement to make it more realistic. Maybe my poly count per object isn't ideal - most of my models are between 20 and 200 tris depending on the size of the object - and a lot of you may want more detailed meshes, LOD versions of things ranging from higher to lower poly count or texture resolution. Or you might have some other input that I'm not even anticipating yet. Whatever it is, I'd like to know now and not after I post the final package on the Unity Asset Store!

Anyway, thank you in advance for any comments, questions or critiques, I'll keep an eye on this thread, check it from time to time and hopefully you all will introduce some great ideas I haven't thought of, that are well worth including in the design of this package.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

You could continue with the same sort of swampy environment and make bald cypress, spanish moss, and weeping willows. Could be a cool theme, rather then trying to make an all-encompassing package.

3. mlhornbo

mlhornbo

That's actually a really good idea and would round out swamp scenes. Bald cypress, Spanish moss, and weeping willows would be fantastic for filling out marsh environments. I'm not against making an inexpensive package with a broad scope though, and multiple sections for different types of environments - I am actually inclined to end up including 60+ items in the set. Maybe over 75 or 80 even. But... I will definitely work some larger swamp foliage into the pipeline because right now there's kind of a theme developing and it lacks trees!

Potentially amazing value for people with tons of content at a low price, is typically my aim with things like this. Too bad it makes Unity Asset Store submissions difficult - When I try submitting things, typically my submission gets rejected for minor violations of Asset Store guidelines, mostly formatting/organization related, naming conventions, stuff like that, and that would be fine if there weren't so many objects in the packages I try submitting, that have to be individually reworked every time I try to submit the package!

I also thought it worth mentioning that I'm giving a few free copies of my various stock media items away on Itch.IO, first come, first serve. Not all gone yet. Most of the download links are still available. That includes a bunch of stock video elements, well over a hundred of them, plus 1400+ texture maps, and this 3d collection that is still being actively expanded and will continue to be developed for some time.

https://matthornb.itch.io/autumn-2018-bonus-collection/devlog/57183/free-download-keys-9-in-all

I started off this Thanksgiving sale hoping to reach a sales target; now that sales are proving low, and people are looking at all of the items but rarely buying, likely hesitant due to lack of pre-existing ratings, I'm now just hoping that if some free copies are handed out, some people will find the content useful and maybe review it... so that some sales will maybe materialize in the longer term, after the first few reviews show up.

4. Teila

Teila

Downloading and will check them out. I will leave a review for you. Thanks. Unfortunately we cannot review them on the asset store unless they are purchased at the asset store.

5. Goatogrammetry

Goatogrammetry

Know what? If you're going with swamp, go swamp. Gnarly trees with moss hanging down. The thing is, most game devs plan out 'biomes' for thier game. They always do a desert, a swamp, a volcanic zone, pine forest, leafy forest, yadda yadda. To me the more focused your pack, the more people will just have to have it.