Search Unity

3d asset and data loading from database

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bluenotebook4, Nov 19, 2020.

1. bluenotebook4

bluenotebook4

Good evening,
    I am in the process of starting the development of an 3d interior design app that will use augmented reality. I plan on using Unity, as its a powerful tool for AR app development, and I have some experience both with Unity engine itself, as well as C#. Currently I am the in 'planning' phase of the development, trying to come up with a structure of the project and how different processes will be handled.

Think of this 'app' as more of a tool where user will be able to use it to add/remove/modify large variety of 3d models(lets say furniture) into a AR scene using their mobile devices.

Hypothetically, lets say I collaborate with multiple furniture manufacturers(or just any companies that want to display their 3d models, whatever they would be), that provide me with 3d models (with textures, etc.), and data about them (price/material that its made out of/location of shop its available at/whatever data you can have and want to provide to the customer).

How do I got about storing these 3d models and data related to them, so that I can minimize app size (user shouldn't be needed to download ALL the 3d models, maybe just 'default' ones). I'd prefer to use MySQL (which is completely fine for registering users/saving actual data about the 3d models, but i am not sure how to deal with 3d models themselves. Also, lets say if I, as developer, update the 3d models, or update data about them, user should be required to download only the updated version of the specific model (as DLC) - just login to 'account' after opening the app, and receive a notification that updated asset of xyz is available.

Also, this app should be also fully functional without actual registering/login, so that user could technically download wanted assets when the user IS online, and then be able to use those downloaded assets to do interior design while offline(not logged into online). App will not(at least I don't plan on) have actual shop that will redirect users into purchasing said furniture, etc., this is more of a showcase/entertainment/tool type app.

So my main issue/concern/question is not how to do registration/login of users, saving the data about the 3d model (price/manufacturer/material its made out of, etc) which can be saved in a rather simple sql table, but the actual 3d models themselves, because obviously, as mentioned previously, I don't want to force user to download all the models, bloat app size, and be able to easily update/modify 3d models or data about them from my(developer) side, without having to release 'new' version of the entire project itself.

I've read about Assetbundles, Assetdatabases, but maybe don't fully understand the workflow with it, or that's not what I need. I am looking for guidance as to how should I approach this problem.

Apologies if information given and questions are convoluted and confusing, and if perhaps I've repeated myself multiple times.

Thank you very much.