Search Unity

Official 3D art assets

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Oct 1, 2020.

1. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

That makes sense. Before I submit a PR, do you want me to remove the middle beams for the bridge to the Chef King? I feel like it looks weird, but that's up to you.

Inkedupload_2021-6-29_11-45-25_LI.jpg

I can try my best with the stones, but if someone finishes it before me, I'm okay with that and I'll try adding some other models for the Environmental Storytelling.

cirocontinisio likes this.
  2. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

I tried my best, but if there still more for me to learn, I ask someone else to continue this pier from here. If there is someone who can help, I will upload the relevant textures and .blend files

Thanks.

3. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

What exactly needs to be fixed? That way if someone wants to take it from your hands, they will know what to do.

4. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

5. Smurjo

Smurjo

I would suggest wood (light green, upper picture) or even rope (orange, picture below). Both solutions would actually support mechanically: The rope needs to be under tension, so it must be straight (even more than my drawing). I have some doubts about the long term stability of the rope in outdoor conditions though, not sure whether that's a requirement applicable to a virtual rope in a game.
    BridgeSupportSolution1.jpg

BridgeSupportSolution2.jpg

MortyJHin likes this.
  6. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Sorry for the late reply. I like the idea of both bridges. I already sent a PR request, but if more people would rather have that type of bridge. I can cancel that request and work on the first option. It's basically a copy/paste, but I'll only do it if necessary.

7. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I'll start accepting the one you sent.
    It's not necessary, you can do it if you feel like it (and we can easily swap it in the game).

This or you could make other objects. Up to you!

MortyJHin likes this.
  8. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Sounds good. If a certain amount of time has passed and I don't post anything about it, we can use the one I already sent a PR for. That way, we do not waste a lot of time. While I work on the bridge, I'll also think about doing some other models, such as the Stone Wall.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  9. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Yes, thanks, the stone walls are actually much more useful than changing the beams, as I mentioned before, since they are used to give shape the town in many places.

MortyJHin likes this.
  10. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

11. RTBRuhan

RTBRuhan

12. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Argh, I turned the computer on to do some work on this but I think you never shared the model, right?
    Well, if you get to it please share, and if I have time again I will do some work on the UVs.
    Thank you!

13. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Oh, I am Sorry, I thought if some one volunteers then I will share it. But I will upload it as soon as possible.

Again sorry and Thanks for Giving me a Hand.

14. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Here's what I got for the stonewall so far. This is only a blocked-out version, and I will work on the modeled version soon. I got one that is a straight wall with the requirements from the codecks and a premade arc. This arc is made up of nine divisions (20 degrees, it took me a while for some reason :D). I wanted to post this and see if I'm missing something before I start modeling. If the arc is off, I still have 1 section of the arc that I can edit.
    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

If you post it, I can try doing something if I have time. It's only the UV correct? Or is there a model/texturing issue as well?

Smurjo likes this.
  15. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  16. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Honestly I was imagining it a bit more organic, something like this? But I don't know how far have you gotten into modelling, or if those images were just a block out. I just feel the bricks look very precisely cut - in comparison with all the structures we have around.

MortyJHin likes this.
  17. Smurjo

Smurjo

Ciro, you can't build more than a garden wall like this with the stones that loose. If the townsfolks can build a statue they might as well make their wall stones straight enough (at least the top and the bottom) so that their walls don't topple over. Since small inaccuracies accumulate, the higher you build, the more accurate the stones need to be. Even more so if you would build an arch, which is relying on the stones being under pressure - if the connection of two stones is at the wrong angle they would slide off each other and the complete arch would fall in.

Of course there might be the option of using more mortar than stones to compensate the inaccuracies - then we are are in essence talking about a concrete building with stones for decoration. Which, BTW was already done by the Romans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_incertum.

MortyJHin likes this.
  18. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I wasn't referring to what holds the stones together, just to the shape of the stones. In @MortyJHin's screenshot I can see some very precisely cut bricks coming out of something which is also very square, and it all looks too modern.
    What you linked would be a good reference too, indeed!

19. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

In other news today I felt like practicing Blender a bit (and painting textures), so I made a wok:

upload_2021-7-18_19-21-55.png

itsLevi0sa and MortyJHin like this.
  20. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Yeah, they are just blocked outs. I wanted to get the basic dimensions and the sizes correct before I start working on the model. I'll definitely be using the reference that you and Smurjo have provided. It gives me a better perspective on what needs to be made. It's even a good excuse to use Zbrush for this project, which was something I wanted to do for this project. :D

itsLevi0sa and cirocontinisio like this.
  21. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Yesterday I ended up making a small soup with the wok, and also created a small "steam" effect that will be useful on all cooking things. The wok will need to sit on top of fire. (I'll make a small grill/support).

upload_2021-7-19_16-4-42.png

The other thing I've done, @Harsh-099, is that I've revisited your bench.
    I've redone the texture because it was very, very different from all of the other wood objects we have in the project. It was mostly noise, so I painted some wood grain/veins. So to do that, I had to redo the UVs. In the process, I also joined the little side to the main log so it looks more like it was carved from one piece of wood.

upload_2021-7-19_16-8-1.png

Unbaked:

upload_2021-7-19_16-8-37.png

I've also added some little uncertainties by moving the vertices a little bit:

upload_2021-7-19_16-14-52.png

And the texture:

WoodenBench.png

Nothing too fancy. I hope you like the tweaks.
    I'll push it next time I merge to main.

22. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Great Improvements, Thanks very much.

23. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Sorry, this wall concept took too long. A hurricane of homework and quizzes came out of nowhere. Here are some stone walls I made, and I will finalize them soon. I have 5 of them to choose from, so I wanted to ask the community which one I should use(Or use all five). If none are good, what are ways to improve them? This was exciting since I never have done stone walls like this before Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  24. Smurjo

Smurjo

I would like the top row of stones of the first one combined with 4th one (which might be 1st one without stones around). You often see walls having some slightly emphasized top row, but usually nothing of that kind on the sides (if at all it would be solid columns). Also the thin irregular vertical stones on the first version might tend to topple over.

This is kind of the problem that I have with the second and the 4th version - they don't look as if they would stay standing - unless you would want put in some mortar. Mortar would be a more advanced technology. Considering the polygon count I would suggest a solid block of mortar from which the stones protrude. The mortar block can still have some iregularity.

25. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

They look good, @MortyJHin, and it's so nice that you tried different combinations :)
    I tend to agree with Smurjo on the engineering considerations, and I'll leave it to her for those.

This is a good remark, I think your version 2 and 5 already are alike that, right?

Personally I'd also remove the side columns, leave a top row of more regular stones (like n.1) and use a block of mortar to define the main body, and put stones in it (like 2 and 5).
    Think also that we will compose them side by side, making longer walls, so having no sides help. And that we might rotate them (not upside down but along the Y) to give variety, so try not to make them completely symmetric on both sides (if you can).

Thank youuuu!

26. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

I realized I should have numbered them in case we are looking at different points :D. I added a picture of the two, in case any of you want to explain which one you are talking about, but I'm guessing you two are talking about 2 and 5. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can agree that the second and 4th versions have a hard time standing. There is a mortar on all, but I used a color that blended with the background. When I do the texturing, the mortar will be more noticeable but thank you for telling me.

I'm happy to hear that I get to remove the side columns. I had a hard time figuring out which rock to use. I'll definitely use your suggestion, combined with Smurjos.

That doesn't sound like a problem. Now it looks like you'll be making some of the structures with the stone wall, so I wanted to ask if I can still do the arc formation of the stone wall.

Again, thank you both for the suggestions.

InkedInkedCapture_LI.jpg

27. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Alrighty. Here is what I got so far with the stone wall. I changed some of the stone layout on the top, and it has a different pattern on the back and front. There is also a mortar shape, but I still need to texture it before it can be seen better. I'll be making a couple of adjustments before I start texturing it. I also was testing its ability to go together and make arcs.
    InkedStoneWall_NoTexture_LI.jpg

Turn.JPG

28. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Looks pretty good already!! How many polygons is each section?
    You know also what would be cool, if you could stack a pile of rocks that we can use as an ending. It doesn't need to be sophisticated, we can just smash it into the final bit of wall so it doesn't expose the flat face.

MortyJHin likes this.
  29. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

It was a minor pattern issue I wanted to fix. One wall equals 1,858 Polygons. For 9 Walls to make one arc section it would be about 16,722 Polygons. Then the Pile of Rocks I created for the sides cost 287 Polygons. I wanted to make sure we're not using many polys, especially with the number of walls we would have to be using. If I need to change the side of the wall, then I can do that quickly.
    Capturea.JPG

3.JPG

I've been wondering if the wall is too big. Should I shrink it down, or is this what we want?
    2.JPG
    (Note: That is not the official textures, It's a 10 minutes texture I made as a placeholder)

As always, Thank you, Ciro and Smurjo, for the feedback, and I'll keep improving it with any other feedback necessary.

30. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

@MortyJHin If those are quad poly you are talking about then they are two many I guess. Because game engines count in triangles and 1 poly equals two triangles. Please correct If I am wrong.

MortyJHin likes this.
  31. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Yeah, usually talking in triangles is a safer way to compare polycounts, because at the end of the day polygons will be broken into triangles anyway to be drawn.
    The polycount is alright, could be less... but actually, to answer your question: I do think the wall is a bit high, based on their position I'd say they are more from protecting people from falling off, rather than blocking them. Almost like a railing on a balcony. So I imagine the characters should be able to comfortably look over these short walls.

So if you remove 1-2 rows of rock, that will automatically bring the polycount down.

MortyJHin and aby_gamemaker like this.
  32. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Thank you, Aby and Ciro, for stating the polygons issue and possible ways to lower it down. Here is the shortened stone wall after the feedback you all recently stated. After modifying it, I removed many of the polygons(triangles and quads) from the original model.

Cutdown.JPG CutDown2.JPG CutDown3.JPG

Amel-Unity likes this.
  33. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Here are my textures so far. I got it to the size of 1024x1024. I have 3 to choose from.

InkedColors_LI.jpg

Smurjo and itsLevi0sa like this.
  34. Smurjo

Smurjo

For the walls even more than for the statue I would expect the use of the local reddish store. That would favor the first option and the color might even be a little brighter.

MortyJHin likes this.
  35. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Gotcha, thank you Smurjo!

Here's my recent version of the texture. I'm trying to make sure it doesn't blend with the rocks in the background.

Colors.JPG

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Smurjo likes this.
  36. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

37. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Stone Wall
    I should have posted this earlier, but I got busy. Anyways, I realized that I could make a stone wall section without creating an entirely new model. If there is nothing I have to fix, I will send a PR request to avoid wasting time since we have to get something going in August/September.
    Prefab.JPG Prefab1.JPG Prefab2.JPG

Environmental Storytelling
    I don't if this should be a new thread or in the 3D assets, so I'm going to state it here for now and then move the conversation to a new thread if needed. I was thinking of a couple of situations, but I haven't started modeling because I want to have the thumbs-up and understand what is necessary for this task. Some of the situations I thought of for this task are:

Fishermen fishing for fish and selling fish and lobsters in lobster cages(and have one of the lobsters open and close their eyes based on a Youtube Comment I saw in one of the dev logs)

Villagers putting up a Banner and decorations about the festival(gives a use for the hammer and toolbelt)

Have kids playing Hide and Seek(No need to program something where the player has to find them, just dialogue)

A Villager sleeping somewhere(maybe add a simple particle of Zs with a sleeping animation)

Again, I'm asking if one or two of these are something we are aiming for. I want to know so I understand the task better.

Updating Some of the Textures
    With the new art style, some of the models that were created might be outdated. So I wanted to ask if the team wants us to update the models that the creators have done to fit the new style?

38. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Yes please, I think they look pretty cool!

Any model in particular you're thinking of?

They are all cool ideas. Please think of the implications, for instance, the villagers putting up a banner is a fun scene and relatively low impact, but it needs custom animations. Kids playing hide and seek needs a custom 3D model?
    In general it would be nice to describe the situation in more detail, but we're fine with anything that 1) makes sense in the environment and 2) is "self-sufficient", aka comes with everything that is needed.

MortyJHin likes this.
  39. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Mostly models that have these black lines. I'm planning to take them out and refine them a little. I'm taking them out because I only added those lines to match the old art style, which we recently changed. I'll be working on that while doing one of the environmental story ideas because I don't think they will take too long.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

I understand what you mean. Should we have a new discussion thread for this topic? I feel like this topic is more than just 3D model assets.