Search Unity

Official 3D art assets

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Oct 1, 2020.

1. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Here's my progress with texturing the statue. Much work has to be done, especially with the moss segment of the texture, the ambient occlusion, and extra stone features. I want to show my progress and possibly get some feedback with this post. Also, is it okay if my texture Is 2048x2048, or is it preferred to be 1024x1024?

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      71.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
    cirocontinisio and Smurjo like this.
  2. Smurjo

Smurjo

Typically, if the local stone is more yellowish/redish I would expect also the stone for the statue to be of that kind. Else we would imply the stone has been imported from far away. I am not saying it would have been impossible for a non-motorized culture, but it would have been quite costly. Charlemagne has had brought Italian marble to Aachen 796 to 798 AD for the construction of his "Palace Chapel" (designed for 3000 people and core part of Aachen Cathedral now).

MortyJHin likes this.
  3. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Gotcha. I totally forgot that detail. I'll definitely work on that as I continue texturing. Thanks

4. redcurry79

redcurry79

Looks great! I agree with @Smurjo on the color of the stone. Though one could argue that the reddish color is only on the outside of the rocks because it interacts chemically with the air. For example, the local rock could have some iron compounds, which turn a reddish color as it rusts. If that process for the rocks takes millions of years, then I think the statues could still plausibly be gray and the world be "correct." :)

MortyJHin likes this.
  5. Smurjo

Smurjo

It might have taken a million years when the rocks first rusted, but that was because originally there was almost no free oxygen in the atmosphere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geological_history_of_oxygen). Today, with enough rain for the forest to grow on a tropical island, in my experience iron outdoor rusts quite soon.

redcurry79 likes this.
  6. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

7. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hey @cirocontinisio, I finished the nails and textured the Hooks: Here it is

WithNails.png

Thanks.

8. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

9. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Don't know, I still see a lot of things that could be improved with the model before we can put it in... the planks have stretched textures on the sides, the two types of wood had a very different level of detail (I guess you just resized one of the textures at a different scale than the other). And finally (just a personal tip) all of the shapes could be made a bit more wonky, the poles for instance are perfect cylinders, something you wouldn't expect from something made of wood. Same for the planks.

10. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

Yes ciro is right about the planks needing to be uneven on the sides. If they vary a little in size as well it will be that much more believable. You could add holes in them for showing wearing in rain and storm or daily use.
    The poles need cuts here an there as well for realism.

11. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Thanks for reply.
    So now I am going to make some cuts and holes.
    Yes, I resized them to use up the left UV space, but I will make them equal in size.

Apart from other things, do you like the iron hooks (and its texture) in place of ropes (and its texture too) @cirocontinisio ?

Thanks for suggestions @aby_gamemaker too.

12. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Here are the updates:
    _0002_RenderFinal.png
    _0001_AlbedoMap.png
    _0000_MetallicMap.png

I made several cuts and holes on the planks and the posts. Also added metallic maps for nails and iron hook (please tell me if it isn't needed). Reduced extra detail on the posts texture.

Thanks and any suggestions will be welcomed.

13. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Sorry but we keep revolving around the same things: there's still a lot of stretching on the side of the planks, and a lot of seams where the flat surfaces join (on the beveled corners you created).
    Also on the texture, I see you're using almost 1/4 of the whole file for the "metal holder", but it has almost no details? Why?
    Also, could be nice to have a couple extra edges on it to make it more round. Right now it's an octagon. You could also bevel also only on the outer edge, since that's the one that's visible.

Also, have you tried it in game? Assets should always be tested in the game, potentially baked (since this is a static object) to see how they look.

14. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

It's okay, this is because of my incompleteness.

By on the sides of the planks, do you mean this?
    20210622_065821.png
    and on the horizontal axis? Then I will try some scaling to fix it.

For that, I did try Stitching tool in blender, which perfectly stitched the four side bevel faces with the top one, so it's seamless, but if the stitch the side small face with it, the whole UV layout get messed. But if that is something required, I will try to do the best.

I will try to fix it.
    Ok, adding some more.

I will try it in editor after fixing above things. And will I have to rebake the entire beach scene? How much time will it take?

Thanks.

15. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I'm thinking of stuff like (1) where the texture is evidently stretched, similarly with (2).
    And of small details like (3), where you can see the seams between the face pointing up, the face pointing left, and the face that belongs to the bevel. They should have a continuous texture, but they seem like they are made of 3 different parts.

I don't think you need to play with stretching and stuff, you would need to redo the UVs by placing seams in places where they can't be seen, and having as less as possible. In the current situation, you have a lot of seams.

There are some tutorials online on how to do UVs in Blender, watch out that some of them are more appropriate for organic shapes, others are better for square shapes like this one.

_0002_RenderFinal.png

No, don't worry about that. You can make tests in TestingGround or the ArtShowcase scene, or TestingGround-Small. You just need to post screenshots here, I will take care of integrating it in the final scene and rebaking.

16. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

17. randomscribe

randomscribe

Cool. I assume "fall off" should be "wall off" in the description?

Also, per discussion elsewhere, are you thinking the bricks should look like the same type of stone as the nearby rock formations?

18. RTBRuhan

RTBRuhan

I made the Watermill Watermill.png Screenshot 2021-06-24 171642.png

MortyJHin, itsLevi0sa, Smurjo and 2 others like this.
  19. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Oh wow, you're fast! Some parts could use a bit of tweaking though, I see a lot of stretched UVs and the grain of the wood doesn't seem to follow the geometry... it's more like, projected on top. Can you tweak it a bit?

I think what I meant to write was "to ensure they don't fall off", but I don't remember anymore :p

Well, the stone should definitely look like it came from the same geographical area, so similar colours and shapes, but obviously smaller. I'm imagining them as if they were naturally small, not cut, so they would be irregular and with quite different size... but up to you! Anything as long as it makes sense.

20. RTBRuhan

RTBRuhan

You mean the green mossy thing?
    Oki fixing that up :)

21. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

I think by grain of the wood he means the surface relief of the wood or the natural coarse ness of the texture.

22. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I mean the veins of the wood are just running in strange directions, and don't represent how they would be if the water mill was actually constructed by wood planks and beams.

I've highlighted a few examples of things that stand out for me. Also their resolution, they are evidently "blown up" (as in, too much zoomed in for their size in the 3D world).

papaya.png

23. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

The statue was really cute, did you ever finish it?

MortyJHin likes this.
  24. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

I haven't worked on it recently due to the semester at my school. I'll be working on it during the weekend since things started to slow down.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    cirocontinisio likes this.
  25. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

No problem! I was just checking in case we missed it (but I couldn't see it in the PRs). Thanks again!

MortyJHin likes this.
  26. RTBRuhan

RTBRuhan

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    MortyJHin likes this.
  27. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

I changed the color of the stone and added some more features based on some references I got. I might do more on it, but I don't want to go too far. As always, I'm down for any feedback, and I will try finishing it soon to send a PR.

Statue1.JPG Statue2.JPG Statue3.JPG Statue4.JPG

I looked at the long, railed bridges for the new map, and I noticed that the support beams are not touching the ground. Should I send a new PR where there the beams and the bridge are separate? That way, Level Designers can have more abilities to play around with it.

Smurjo likes this.
  28. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

I think I did it (but nails are left to do, I will do them after this is done)
    seamless1.png
    But there is one problem I noticed. In a plank, for the smallest sized side (in circles), if I want to make it seamless from both top and right or left (or both, the adjacent edges), the other two faces would get very stretched. So I did make the top face seamless with the side on and not with the front and back longer sides.
    If there is any solution of the problem stated above, please let me know @cirocontinisio

seamless2.png

Thanks.

29. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

First of all the side of the plank won't be the same texture. Realistically the side should be lighter than the top and bottom.
    Try projecting the UVs for the sides separately.

30. Smurjo

Smurjo

There isn't a perfect solution short of painting your own custom texture for exactly that pieces of wood. It is always a compromize involving stretching and having a seam now and then in the texture. Ciro makes streching sound like a crime, in my opinion it can be used as an artistic mean too (but of course not uncontrolled stretching).

You could try this:
    • try to have both side of seam at about the same color
    • hide the ugliest seams (unfortunately you can't hide all) - if e.g. that side of the plank is a little shorter that edge isn't easily visible from the side, or you have a crack with the seam inside the crack
    I think it is a little unnatural that the texture continues on the side just as it is on the top. Maybe you have a look at natural wood beams in your physical environment and/or photos at Google (make sure its photos not paintings).

cirocontinisio and MortyJHin like this.
  31. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Super nice. One thing to note/question: we only need one version, right? I'm thinking that if we place it in the middle of the main square, it makes sense that it's the version without mold. Right?
    Where would the moldy version go, if anywhere at all? Underwater? :D

Thanks, it definitely looks much better, even thought there are some spots where the lines still make little sense... But why did it lose its colour? Can we see it in Unity? We should always check how they look in the engine, as you model it and create the textures.

Smurjo already explained a lot on how to achieve this. I'll just add some visual reference:

upload_2021-6-28_15-51-48.png

The red is where you "cut" (i.e. you have seams), the green is where you can keep seamless texturing. So you will have some seams, that is impossible to avoid. You can only choose where they will be, and in my drawing I've put them on the under side of the plank, which will be less visible.
    If you make the wood grain run parallel to the seams, chances are that they will really be not that visible and easy to hide.

Another small tip: delete all planks except one, do the UVs for one of the planks, and then duplicate it (in 3D space). This way you don't have to do the same UVs over and over again.

Then you can take half of the planks, move their UVs to the side, and paint a different texture for them. Then rotate and scale all planks a little bit, some of them rotate 180 degrees, so that you don't see repetition.

MortyJHin and Smurjo like this.
  32. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

:D I can agree that we only needed one. I only made the moss version because I saw we had rocks that had moss covered on them, so I thought it would be good to have another version with moss. It was fun to do so. I made a couple of changes to match the rocks better, and I will submit a PR. If the older version was better, I saved that texture
    Capture.JPG

As I asked earlier, should I send another PR where I have the bride support beams under the bride separated to look so weird? I can make new beams quickly if needed.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  33. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Thanks for Explanation @Smurjo and @cirocontinisio. I will try my best.

But doing this all the planks will have the same cuts at the exact same spot(even if I rotate them, they will be noticeable) . I also tried to copy the UVs over from one plank to other, but each plank has different no. of faces.
    Thanks.

34. RTBRuhan

RTBRuhan

Here :)

Attached Files:

cirocontinisio, Smurjo and MortyJHin like this.
  35. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

That is looking good but the moss blotches look more like paint stains.

Try exploring moss textures and realitic placement in Quixel mixer maybe you'll get ideas for better execution and application of the material.

@MortyJHin we could use both moss covered and moss removed statues like they have used it in the game virtual villagers.
    In virtual villagers, they have game progression elements in the environment itself which the villagers learn to interact with different levels of mastery in life skills like farming ,science, medicine, building, and collecting. Any villager who attains master skill level in all skills will become village leader and has some exclusive actions only they can perform.
    If we drag an unskilled villager to a puzzle section he will act confused. If we have to unlock something before a puzzle can attempted then it will say the villager need more information.
    Throughout the game there are structures and items that are inaccessible at first and then we find ways to make discoveries as we progress in the five technology traits.

Similarly your moss covered statue can be an already present mysterious structure for which we unlock exploration through story progression quests and in the process we clean up the statue and learn how the moss could be used as an ingredient.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  36. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

It's looking pretty good. I wanted to suggest that the wood texture should be aligned properly, so it looks like it was properly built. The wood veins should be in a pattern, which I tried to do in the snipping tool. Basically, something like that. :D
    Capture.JPG

I would also suggest that instead of making a scene to show how the object looks in-game, use the Art Showcase Scene or one of the locations(maybe the one where the Windmill would be located), and test it there since the lighting is already set up and makes your life easier.

37. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Yeah, I think for the town centre the moss-less version is better. I also think the very latest version is a bit too red, mostly because it gets lost in the background (rocks and ground) which is full of red hues. The paler version was more majestic, I feel...

The one from this post:
    It would be really nice if you can make a version with long beams, we'll use it in the windmill river and the Forest one. But please keep also the one with short ones, I was planning of using it to connect the legendary chef's hut on top of the mountain, it looks cool. That wouldn't have support... we'll have to hope it holds :D

upload_2021-6-29_11-45-25.png

MortyJHin likes this.
  38. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Sounds good. Good thing I kept the original version. I will send a PR for the Statue, and then I will work on the bridge. I will not over-write those on the scenes since they will be in a different name. As always, I will post the bridge progress on here before I send a PR. Maybe even add something extra :D

Capture.JPG

39. RTBRuhan

RTBRuhan

Yeah I just fixed that and make the pattern a bit non symmetrical to get a stylize look :)

cirocontinisio and MortyJHin like this.
  40. RTBRuhan

RTBRuhan

Umm guys I am not sure did I made a pull request for Art submission properly?
    upload_2021-6-30_18-54-24.png

41. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I think you closed your own PR. But it was the old model: https://github.com/UnityTechnologies/open-project-1/pull/460

Perfect! Merged!

42. RTBRuhan

RTBRuhan

Yea sorry, I am not used to Github I guess finally I managed to make a pull request somehow.

43. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Thanks, I'll take a look at it now.

Just for the next PRs it would be nice if they included close-up screenshots of the model (in Unity, of course), otherwise the review process becomes pretty long as we have to pull locally to be able to see if there's even a small fix we'd like to ask for.

44. RTBRuhan

RTBRuhan

Yeah I will keep that in mind :)

45. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Sorry it took a while. I was posting this because I know we are trying to get 1.0 out in August. I finished the long poles on the bridges, and they don't require a new texture to be created. I also made a new collider for these long bridges.

3.JPG

1.JPG

Now I will send a PR after I ask a question about the bridge representing the Chef King entrance. I added some beams, but I'm not sure if they look alright with the settings. So I wanted to ask for input on the matter.

2.JPG

Last off, are there any models that we still need for the project that no one is working on?

46. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hey there all. I came back with an interesting idea for fixing the seams in the pier. I was thinking how to make it appear less in seams, then an idea eventually came into my mind.

I decided to make the wooden plank be framed (or you can say protected) in a tight cage of iron (or any other metal)
    like a metal frame for a plank.
    Very similar to this:
    upload_2021-7-7_7-17-7.png
    or this:
    upload_2021-7-7_7-17-32.png

And here is the pier:
    IronBorderPlank.png
    IronBorderPlank2.png
    IronBorderPlank3.png

I know that I need to fix the nails, but only after this is solved.
    And I tried to make the bevel faces some larger in area, by scaling and even again beveling, but it didn't worked. If someone has a solution for this, please let me know

And I hope that you will find this idea useful.

Thanks

47. MintyMeta

MintyMeta

I modelled the concept art by @MonopolyMonkey in blender a few days ago, just haven't had the chance to post it. I didn't bother texturing it because I wasn't really sure how to get the style that was present in game, and I couldn't find the style guide (if someone could show me that would be cool).

All forge.png Otherwise, all the low poly pieces are joined and unwrapped. I could make high poly versions and bake the normals in substance painter if necessary :)

Bowl unwrap.png Bellow pump.png Tenderizer.png

48. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Looks pretty good!

Just so you know, we don't use normal maps in our models. The art guidelines are linked in the Readme of the repo, but here's the paragraph that can interest you.
    So from this point of view, feel free to smooth those harsh corners by adding some bevel (after all, they're all pretty simple geometry for now?)

Also try to check them frequently in the engine with the toon material on them, to see how they look (also from a shading perspective, sometimes it might make sense to add some geometry just for that).

49. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Sorry Harsh, I personally don't think it works. There is a way to fix the UVs like we discussed, by applying cuts to the right edges, and unwrapping. If you don't know how to do it, you could also leave the model to someone else to UV (if there is a volunteer).

Harsh-NJ likes this.
  50. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Thanks @MortyJHin!

For the bridge leading to the chef's hut, we can totally move the rocks to account for those longer beams. But do we need those? They are not really sustaining much.

There's one (or a few) model(s) which would be super helpful, and it's these. They would be great to have to shape some areas of the town.

Other than that, there's the Environmental Storytelling, but it's just in case you have ideas and doesn't necessarily involve modelling new things.

MortyJHin likes this.