Search Unity

Official 3D art assets

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Oct 1, 2020.

1. redcurry79

redcurry79

Here's a possible model I created for a simple bridge. As described in the Bridge card, "with no railings, more improvised, for the heart of the forest":

upload_2021-4-10_2-53-11.png

If this is more or less what we're looking for, I can start texturing.

2. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

I think it's cool so far. I would suggest making the poles more organic(like cut down trees), and the plank that is falling off the bridge should be different, so the player doesn't need to jump over it. However, if the point was for them to jump over it, that's fine to keep on. Otherwise, nice work!

cirocontinisio and redcurry79 like this.
  3. redcurry79

redcurry79

Thanks. Yes, I was going to make the poles look more organic in the texture, but I can probably do so with the model, too, hopefully without adding too many triangles. Good point about the player possibly needing to jump over the falling plank (although the collider could simply ignore it and pretend there's a plank there). It's easy to change later, so I think I'll leave it for now and if it doesn't work well with our gameplay I can fix it.

MortyJHin likes this.
  4. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hello @cirocontinisio, here is what I tried to made with @laczkly textures.

pier.png

Attached Files:

5. Smurjo

Smurjo

Harsh-099 Is it possible you have problem with the texture coordinates on the sides of the boards? If you are using those textures it isn't expected for the sides of the boards to be a single color unless their corners are at the same texture coordinates.

MortyJHin likes this.
  6. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

If you are talking about the light brown sides of planks and top of the posts, then I am trying to achive this look on the sides of the planks, the beams and on the top of the posts.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...id=Mm4pe47jUpDGZM&w=1300&h=975&source=sh/x/im

It is like the plank is cut out from a tree, and trees' inner side is textured like a light brown with some noise.

Anyways, should I make it without light brown noise and give the sides the same wood texture as the tops? But If I do this, nearly the whole pier would look like it is painted with just one texture. But this light brown noise provides a varied look.

7. Mauri

Mauri

8. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

It has improved quite a lot, but still has quite a few things that need to be fixed.
    Like the other mentioned, the fact that the planks sides is a completely different color is a bit weird. After all, planks like those are the same material on all sides, since they are made from the inside of a trunk. So there's no bark (the tree's skin) on the top.

In any case it would be ok if they were a different colour, if they displayed anything. But they just have some sort of noise? Same for the poles.

Also one thing I want to mention looking at your texture layout: there's a lot of wasted space and duplication. When you have two elements using the same piece of a texture, just move the UVs of those polygons and overlap them, don't duplicate the pixels on the texture.
    Also keep an eye out: when something is big in the polygons or very visible, it should be big on the texture. For instance the poles' tops seem a bit too big to me in this layoyut.

Harsh-NJ likes this.
  9. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I think it's pretty nice, really cool shape.
    I'd implement some of the suggestions from @MortyJHin too, especially the one about the broken plank: since it's not just decoration, it might make the player think they have to jump to overcome the gap. If we do want to go that route, I would suggest making the gap wider. But then it would be nice to have a non-broken version too, in case.

10. redcurry79

redcurry79

Thanks. I got rid of the falling plank. I also hand-painted the texture. It came out less cartoony than I wanted, but it may still work. What do you think? I can try again if we want less shading.

upload_2021-4-11_23-52-5.png

laczkyl, MortyJHin, Harsh-NJ and 2 others like this.
  11. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

So, It means to remove that light brown noise completely from the texture?

Understood, I will remove the duplication and make the plank texture bigger.

Thanks for this tip, I will take care of this.

I will come back again with the changes.
    Thanks

12. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Thanks for references. I will study them.

13. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I do agree it looks very realistic compared to other assets. It's really good though!
    I don't necessarily know how to fix it. I think, maybe removing (or lessening) some of those big gradients (the stains and shadowing on the wood). And maybe hand painting some shines, but... I do see some already, so I'm not sure about this.

Have you tried putting it in-engine with the shader we use? (Toon.shadergraph). It might look completely different.

I think the way it is now it's almost as big as a pixel on screen, maybe it could be made bigger? I understand you want to simulate the rough side of a wood plank that has been sawed, but when the noise is too small (or... noisy) then it looks fake. Real wood would still have some wood patterns and circles, broken by the strings and bumps created by a rough cut. Look at this one: https://www.markslumber.us//uploads/circle_sawn_lumber.JPG

redcurry79 likes this.
  14. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Okay, I fixed the model, and I did a little more texturing on the wood to match the wood texture that @laczkyl made. I'm pleased with the short bridge so far, and I'll start fixing/retexturing the long one(I might remodel it to fit with the short one).

ShortBridge.JPG ShortBridge2.JPG

While I was doing that, I started working on a block-out statue based on @arunchahar concept art. My focus is on the bridge and some of the accessories that I made on the accessories forum, but if we are down to have a statue, I can continue working on it. If you want a different pose, I am down for suggestions before I start lowering the polygons. I already lowered the model's poly count as a test so I can adjust things later.

Statue.JPG

redcurry79 likes this.
  15. redcurry79

redcurry79

I think it makes sense to have a statue in a town, but I'm not sure about it being the "legendary chef" since he's still alive. I imagine statues being for ancestors of great importance, perhaps for the chef's great grandfather or something.

MortyJHin and cirocontinisio like this.
  16. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

That's a very good point. Maybe I'll add a bigger beard with a moustache. Or I can add an eyeglass.

17. redcurry79

redcurry79

Thanks! Here's what it looks like in Unity with the Toon shader:

upload_2021-4-12_14-36-25.png

I had to give it a slight brownish tint in the shader because for some reason it looked grayish with the default white tint. Anyway, I'll try some of your suggestions to better match the current artistic style.

18. laczkyl

laczkyl

I want to marry that bridge. Beautiful work.

cirocontinisio and redcurry79 like this.
  19. redcurry79

redcurry79

lol thank you!

cirocontinisio likes this.
  20. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

It's a fun idea. I agree it doesn't make sense that the statue represents the current chef. Personally, I'd do a few things:
    - Put back the other missing ear. So it's just a generic inhabitant from the island and is not identified as the current resident chef
    - Probably remove some of the finer details, you imagine they would have a hard time putting that into a statue (like the necklace)
    - Make thicker some of the thin surfaces, like the cloth.
    - In general, make everything a bit coarse and with unrefined details. I don't know if you imagine it in stone or wood, but I guess they'd have only simple instruments and wouldn't smooth it out like you'd see in a Greek or classical statue. Making it a bit rough would give it more character, I feel.

MortyJHin likes this.
  21. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Okay, I can try doing that. I'm going to do some research before I dive into it. I was thinking of doing a stone statue, but do you prefer a different material?

Smurjo likes this.
  22. Smurjo

Smurjo

I think stone is a good choice. Again I must protest that with primitive tools you only make primitive art. There are fine examples of stone carvings all over the world that were made primitive tools, also the Greek had nothing else. Basically you can shape a softer stone by hitting it with a harder stone and you can smooth it by grinding it with sand. If you don't have a sharp knife it might be easier to artfully shape stone than to carve wood.

It would take patience and practice. So if we do the statue I wouldn't expect it to be the first and only stone carving the town folk have ever done. We might first find some petroglyphs, mere engravings into stone, developing into bas-relief and high relief and statues later. For example like found in Göbekli Tepe.

MortyJHin and cirocontinisio like this.
  23. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Fair enough. Maybe it doesn't need to be that rough. I do think though that making it too perfect would make it look a bit weird. Maybe just removing the very tiny detail of the neck lace and giving it a good texture should do the trick.
    After all, this would be a statue living in the exteriors, so exposed to weather (though it might be relatively recent of course).

redcurry79 and MortyJHin like this.
  24. Smurjo

Smurjo

Maybe making it look too realistic is weird. The townfolk would have their own ideas of beauty and possibly modify the real person's geometry according to their idea of beauty. If for example they consider a round belly beautiful they would give the statue a very round belly, if they are especially into the large ears, they would make the statue's ears extra large etc. They would certainly also carve the necklace - possibly even extra large - if is important to them (and not if it is not) e.g. if the necklace is some sign of power that only certain people are allowed to wear.

I also like how the guy is posing somewhat. Like war lords have carvings made that show them with their weapons and/or victorious over their enemies. Maybe our guy - presumably being a great cook - could be posing with a frying pan or a special dish or something....

25. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

I'm happy about the discussion for the statue so far. It will help me narrow the design down, making it easier for me to know what the finished product should be. It will take a while since I want to finish the bridges, but I'll get it done.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll post the posed block-outs, and then people can choose which one would be good and probably suggest better poses. Most likely, I will reuse the pan/food assets that are already in the project(maybe the good food that the player has to make to win the game).

cirocontinisio, Smurjo and redcurry79 like this.
  26. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hello Everyone, I tried my best to do this but could not succeed. I request anyone here to make the wood cuts and patterns and rings for the sides of the planks of the pier. Someone please make it and upload here so I can use it.
    Thanks.

27. Smurjo

Smurjo

@Harsh-099 I think you can achieve this with laszkyl's textures and clever UV coordinates. As Ciro said the texture on the long vertical side can be the same as on the horizontal side. On the short vertical side there would be annual rings - but since the planks are only a small part of the tree trunk, it would only be a small part with sections of 2 or 3 rings required. So you take a part of the texture with straight stripes, make the UV bigger so that the stripes appear smaller and bend the UV around slightly in a circle. Like this: WoodplankTanUV.PNG

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  28. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

This means the sides will have the same texture as the top and what you said here
    This will create more tris. Subdividing each 4 sides of 9 planks would result in 36 x 2 = 72 new tris.

So, is it worth doable?

29. redcurry79

redcurry79

I repainted the simple bridge to look more cartoony. What do you guys think?

upload_2021-4-17_1-57-19.png

Here it is in Unity:

upload_2021-4-17_2-8-24.png

30. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Oh man! The bridge was already amazing before, but you made the bridge even better! Awesome work man!

redcurry79 likes this.
  31. redcurry79

redcurry79

Thank you! :)

MortyJHin likes this.
  32. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Block-Out Statue(Stage 1)
    So I finished the block-outs of the statues. I didn't make any changes(like adding the ear or fixing the clothes) to make the block-outs faster. I will add the ear and fix everything once we get an idea of the statue's pose. If there are any ideas about other statue poses, I'm down to hear it.
    7.JPG
    (The 4th one is kind of a meme from JoJo and the Salt Meme, but I thought it was nice)

Long-Rail Bridge
    While I was doing that, I started working on the long bridge again. I'm thinking of fixing a couple of things(The poles that hold the long beams ), and I still have a long way for texturing to go. I'll do my best to finish before next Sunday.
    Long Bridge.JPG
    (This was shot in Unity)

Smurjo, itsLevi0sa and redcurry79 like this.
  33. Smurjo

Smurjo

I like the 4th one best. I also don't think we run into copyright issues even if you saw it there - it is a pretty typical, commonplace gesture if you want to pick just a tiny bit from a bigger pot (e.g. the salt pot) and distribute it sparsely over the dish.

MortyJHin likes this.
  34. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Back with the Pier:
    meth1.png
    I arranges the UV of the side in an arrow like shape. Is this required?

35. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

That's a bit... weird. Again, try to take inspiration from real life by observing how the wood's veins and cracks would "wrap around" (wrap because it's a superficial texture, in reality they are going through).

Also take a look at @redcurry79's bridge above, it has some good wood texturing!

Harsh-NJ and redcurry79 like this.
  36. redcurry79

redcurry79

I'm not sure if I missed this on another thread, but I no longer see the art-assets branch in the repository. Should art-related pull requests be made on the main branch?

upload_2021-4-28_1-4-23.png

MortyJHin likes this.
  37. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Yes, please, sorry we didn't communicate it. Given the low traffic and relatively easy merges, we don't think it's necessary to maintain multiple branches on the repo (UI will go soon too).
    We will redirect existing PRs ourselves, but for future ones, you can use
    main
    Thanks!

MortyJHin and redcurry79 like this.
  38. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Here it is was I got:
    final(maybe).png
    final2.png
    quad.png

Ready to hear suggestions
    Thanks.

39. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I've done some work on the vegetation.

First, I've painted green vertex colour channel for all plants, fixing the ones that were a bit broken. As such, now all vegetation can react to wind. (Materials have been updated)

Also wind looks nicer and more varied (check the canes in the Beach or ArtShowcase scene)

Another thing I've done is I made all trees bigger, like here:

upload_2021-5-4_23-59-37.png

This is a change I've been wanting to do for a while. I feel like they all feel a lot more like trees now and not... miniature copies of a tree :D
    With these size, it's easy to create a forest and the camera can actually run under the canopy, rather than be above and be obstructed. The big tree is now massive, as it should. Again, some long needed changes.

Another thing I did was to create custom colliders for all 4 big rocks, and for the BigTree. So expect the collisions to be more precise. Regular size trees still use a capsule for collisions.

I think that's it!

Amel-Unity, Smurjo, Harsh-NJ and 3 others like this.
  40. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

@redcurry79 ultimately, I made a small tweak to your little bridge which breaks a bit the poetry of its asymmetry.
    I duplicated a pair of planks and brought them to the sides, so that the last piece of geometry is a plank and not the trunks underneath.

Since we don't have leg IK and good handling of steps, if we were to have the trunks it would be two big capsule colliders that would block the character, somehow preventing him from getting on the bridge.

upload_2021-5-6_0-42-22.png

This way, the up side of the bridge is a big, flat box collider that can connect gracefully with whatever terrain or rock is next to it. In fact, I mega-exaggerated it:

upload_2021-5-6_0-44-22.png

I hope you don't mind!!

redcurry79 likes this.
  41. redcurry79

redcurry79

I don't mind at all! The edits make sense. My only concern is whether the textures still look good since the ambient occlusion is baked into them. I can re-bake them if needed, but if it still looks good with the edits, then great! :)

42. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Oh I see. I think it looks ok, the planks that have been moved are in the same "situation" and the part of the log that is covered has less AO, but... it's covered, so not really visible.
    You can inspect it if you download the latest changes, I've used it in TestingGround as a ramp for testing. But I think it looks good.

redcurry79 likes this.
  43. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Okay, this will be the last time that I will mention this. I finally finished working on the bridge textures since I wanted to fix the smaller one's texture. It took a lot longer with my new work and school. I will make a Pull Request on the Bridges/Earrings during the week and then continue working on the statue since those items are on the Codecks.
    Capture.JPG

I've been experimenting on how to do a nice stone texture for the statue while working on the mesh for the statue. I will try posting something about it as soon as possible. For now, here is an update for the statue based on Smurjo's suggestions. Besides that, I'm also trying to make a character that looks different from the current chef. As always, I'm down for any other suggestions.
    Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I know it will take a while, but I will do my best to make sure it gets into the game

44. Smurjo

Smurjo

MortyJHin: As it happens I have some endless texture for worked sandstone. Maybe you can base the texture for the statue on this.
    redSandstoneChinselMarksEndless.png

I guess you might want to add some moss and bird droppings though, to give the impression the statue has been standing there for a long time.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    redcurry79 and MortyJHin like this.
  45. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

I always forget pointing out but we don't have birds yet. We should have atleast a few flying around. What do you think about this?

Smurjo likes this.
  46. Smurjo

Smurjo

Aparently the fauna of this island is kind of unique... Maybe like Darwin's finches on Galápagos critters took all kind of ecological niches. So do we need flying critters? Like eagle critters, parot critters and colibri critters?

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    redcurry79 likes this.
  47. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Oh cool! Thanks Smurjo! I'll definitely try the texture.

48. redcurry79

redcurry79

In case you want additional resources on creating stone textures, here are some tutorials from my favorite Blender instructor (Grant Abbitt):

itsLevi0sa and MortyJHin like this.
  49. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

For sure! The bridge one helped me the last time. I'll definitely be looking into those tutorials as well.

50. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Here's the Pier with the Toon Shader
    Talk_Final.png

redcurry79, gregsolo and itsLevi0sa like this.