Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official 3D art assets

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Oct 1, 2020.

1. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Sure, that makes sense. I decided to combine designs of 1 and 3. One that is short and the other is twice as long, with support beams to support it. They are all UV, I need to texture them, but I don't think they will be done before the next live stream.

I just realized you meant the one before you enter the town. In that case, I'll let other's try making a bridge for that one. If no one takes it after a week, I'll try working on a bridge.

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      97.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      89.7 KB
      Views:
    • Models.PNG
      Models.PNG
      File size:
      78.1 KB
      Views:
    cirocontinisio likes this.
  2. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Oh don't worry about that, whenever you have time!

They look nice! Can't wait to see them textured.

As I said, I like the shape. In terms of polygons it's a bit heavy, since by this:

What I mean here is not how many planks the piece is, but how many pieces we'd use to make the whole pier. So if one piece is 1473 triangles, to have a pier of decent length it would go to around 4-5 pieces? So 5800/7300? That's ok I think.

3. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Thanks, now I will start texturing, and also look for some areas of lowering the poly count.

4. arunchahar

arunchahar

I have a suggestion about 3d models. I have read on internet about some 3d artists using LOD0, LOD1, LOD2 etc Level Of Detail (LOD) as labels and creating multiple models.
    [Not sure LOD0 is one with highest triangles or vice-versa]

Multiple models are created with highest triangles.

LOD0 - highest possible trianlges on model
    LOD1 - 80% triangles of original on model
    LOD2 - 50% triangles of original on model
    ..and so on.

Then inside unity
    If player is near to the object then LOD0 model with highest triangles would be shown.
    If player a bit farther and the model occupies 80% screen space or field of view then LOD0 model is replaced by LOD1 model.
    And as player goes farther from the model it gets replaced by LOD2, LOD3 etc.

5. arunchahar

arunchahar

@Harsh-099 is it possible to only create the end and middle part of bridge https://forum.unity.com/threads/concept-art.995365/page-3#post-6835733 for example part 2 and 3.
    And then in Unity creating a script which just adds the middle part in between the end parts.

for example:
    When we place bridge model by default it would have two end parts connected with no middle parts present.
    And a middle variable will display number of middle part present in bridge.

so
    middle = 0
    BRIDE_END< >BRIDGE_END

middle = 1
    BRIDGE_END< =BRIDGE_MIDDLE= >BRIDGE_END
    The bridge has a middle part in between two end parts.

And so on.

It should be able to help in areas where bridges of varying lengths are required. ;)

6. Smurjo

Smurjo

I have reworked the big trees yet again. I have made a texture for the trunk now that isn't totally destroyed by the toon shading as the previous one. The tree top texture is now distorted more by the wind shader than by the mesh, but actually it looks kind of interesting as the spirals get bigger and smaller.
    ButtressRootTree3.PNG

As far as the size goes it is of course the whole point of these trees to be really, really big. I want the player to feel small between them. They are about 25 m high which isn't the full height the trees in a tropical forest typically have (30 m to 45 m). Of course they can be scaled down to an intermediate size at the entrance and the other trees scaled up ( e.g. the coconnut palm is only 5 m whereas coconut palms in reality grow up 30 m):
    ButtressRootTree2.PNG

arunchahar and MortyJHin like this.
  7. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Some progress on the bridge so far. I still need to fix the rope texture, for some reason it turned out weird after exporting it. If anyone has any suggestions on things that can be changed with the textures, I'm all ears. I'm going to work on the long bridge textures after I'm done fixing and possibly improving this one.

1.PNG 2.PNG

8. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hello @arunchahar, I am back after a few days with textures 99.8% complete (0.2% for more improvements).
    Thanks for suggesting, LOD 0 is the one with the most number of polygons. But I think we don't need LODs now, because I am already at 740 polygons.
    Here is the Pier with textures painted @cirocontinisio.

textured1.png
    textured2.png
    textured3.png
    UVs.png (Texture In Photoshop)

This is first ever texture I have ever painted. I followed a tutorial for making those rippled wood lines (https://3dtotal.com/tutorials/t/creating-wooden-planks-using-photoshop-rohan-dalvi).

I have made the bottom beams darker to feel them like wood decay because of water. I am not good at Ropes yet.
    Thanks and suggestions are welcomed.

arunchahar and laczkyl like this.
  9. arunchahar

arunchahar

10. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Took me a while, but the bridges are textured. I don't want to send a request for both bridges since I heard that the other bridge should be a hanging bridge, similar to @aruncharhar design. So should I only post the short bridge or send both? Like I mentioned last time if there are any thoughts/suggestions to make it better, hit me up. The texture is 1024 x 1024. I was going to do a 512 x 512, but the quality is too low.

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      954.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 4.PNG
      4.PNG
      File size:
      980.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.PNG
      5.PNG
      File size:
      1,018.8 KB
      Views:
    itsLevi0sa likes this.
  11. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

I'm not saying I'm officially doing it, but I'm trying to do the task where we lower the polygons on the villagers. Here's my attempt with the male villager. I still need to fix the paint weights, I just wanted to try something that someone suggested for doing this task. Then again, I might start from scratch to make a cleaner model and keep all the features(like how the necklace is missing).

I posted a video of the talking/idle animation to compare the two. The one on the left is the Low Poly and the one on the Right is the High Poly.

Attached Files:

• 1.1.PNG
      1.1.PNG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 1.2.PNG
      1.2.PNG
      File size:
      121.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Amel-Unity, itsLevi0sa and Smurjo like this.
  12. Smurjo

Smurjo

The other preliminary thing from the whiteboxing I would like to have in the project are these hanging creepers. They can be used on buildings or vertical/overhanging rocks. I also made slightly round version to fit on the big rock prefab.
    Creepers.PNG

All use the same 512x512 texture. The leaves are half modelled, half texture aiming for a low triangle count:
    long creepers 576
    medium creepers 312
    small creepers 250

MortyJHin and itsLevi0sa like this.
  13. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

After my first attempt at creating the Townsfolk's LOD versions, I decided to redo the Male and work on the Female models. It took me a couple of tries but in the end, I think I'm happy with the results. The models are now less than 1000 poly,s but are still functional enough to do the animations needed for the task. In the video, I have a demonstration of them in Maya and in the project doing different animations(mostly talking). I'm not sure if I should send a pull request, because I don't know if there are any other things I need to do before I do it. Most likely after when I send a pull request on a bridge.

Attached Files:

• 1.1.PNG
      1.1.PNG
      File size:
      106.8 KB
      Views:
    • 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      226.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.2.PNG
      2.2.PNG
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      216.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      356.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    itsLevi0sa and Smurjo like this.
  14. Smurjo

Smurjo

I think we might want some stone walls in the town to make this straight terraces and the arch around the welcome transparent. I started with making very simple champfered stones with 2 different versions of UV coordinates, additionally the stones can be turned to look different.

WallStones2.PNG There is a minimalistic version with 44 triangles in the bottom row and a version with some additional irregularities which has 130 triangles in the top row (to be placed at the more exposed locations).

Attached Files:

15. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Looks good! As for the texture, I feel like it's barely visible. It looks a bit flat since the wood is not showing many details.

I think they look good as they are. Wow, you really reduced those polygons! Looking forward to be able to place them in far away shots.

Interesting asset, but maybe modelling it brick by brick is a bit overkill. Also imagine placing them and rearranging them might take some time. Wouldn't it be better as sections of a wall? For instance a straight one, and a curved one. Maybe so that they can be stacked, this way we would be able to build low walls and higher ones.

Also as a stylistic choice, I'd make the bricks more irregular, it will make them more interesting and fit better in the environment? More like stones, than bricks. Something in this vein?

MortyJHin likes this.
  16. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

17. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Cool. I actually want to ask if you want me to make a prefab folder for the LOD models or if you want me to place the FBX models into the arts/townsfolks folders. For the bridge models, I will post the LOD models first and then start working on the bridge again. That way, we can see if there are any errors with the LOD models.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  18. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Why is the art-assets branch 1 commit ahead of main, how can I pull the art-assets branch in mine local. When I pull, it says me to commit.

19. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Sure, sorry. Some feedback:
    1: The end planks are intersecting the poles in an ugly way. Personally, I would pull them back to the centre (i.e. make them shorter) so they don't intersect. Or you could draw some kind of "hole" in the texture of the plank? I think the first would end up better, and would make the whole model more interesting. Sorry, same for the vertical planks (one is highlighted in green in the image below), although in this case it could be interesting to paint the junction into the pole, as if the pole has a hole in which the plank goes through.
    2: The texture of the ropes needs improvement. Look for some reference.
    3: The geometry could use some love. Like we commented for the bench, some hard surfaces could be smoothed out by adding a bevel. For instance, the top of the planks? But this is up to you. For now some details just feel a bit blocky.
    5: Same for the top of the poles. Maybe make them 8-sided? But a texture could also help here, to mix up the profile.
    4: The side of the planks and the poles are untextured.

PierFeedback.png

Ok perfect! Yes you can put the models in a LOD folder inside each Art/Townsfolk_M and Art/Townsfolk_F folder, that's perfect.

MortyJHin likes this.
  20. redcurry79

redcurry79

I'm trying to model the cutting board (in Blender):

upload_2021-3-27_2-44-24.png

I'm new to modeling, so I picked something that I thought would be pretty easy. It wasn't (to me, at least) lol

I created the "wood" procedurally, but I think it looks a bit odd, so I may continue to work on it. Or I could just reuse the many wood textures the community has already created.

What do you think about the shape, color, and other details? What number of triangles are we thinking for this?

21. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Yes, I will do that.

The rope texture, i felt earlier also that it is odd looking.

I forgot it. But a little bevel will be OK.
    They are 6 now. And how could a texture help (as you mentioned)
    No, they are textured. A pale brown with some noise and motion blur. You can see it in Texture in Photoshop(https://forum.unity.com/threads/3d-art-assets.980892/page-5#post-6901424)

Thanks for reply and I will make the corrections.
    But I am having problems with the art-assets branch. I think it should be even with the main? When I try to pull to update my local, it says I have to commit.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  22. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

I think it's really cute! Just make sure that the polycount isn't too high(around 800 or less as a guess) and the texture map isn't too big(for an item that small perhaps 512x512). Other than that, I like it.

redcurry79 likes this.
  23. Alan040

Alan040

Hey everybody, I am also pretty new to Unity and Blender. I thought I would try and add this Mortar and Pestle to our library of art assets for the pig chef and townsfolk, I double checked the tris and file size, so hopefully all is good there, but if there's anything else I need to do, let me know! (I'll submit a PR soon)

Adding some screens below, I didn't commit any changes to the scene in the last image, just tested for size reference.

mortarpestle.png mortarpestle3.png mortarandPestle.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  24. redcurry79

redcurry79

Looks good! The inside texture of the mortar looks a bit stretched. I'm not sure if that was intended.

25. redcurry79

redcurry79

Thanks! The number of triangles is currently 444. Yes, I think 512x512 will go nicely.

I've been playing around with more procedural wood settings. Here are three that could work:
    upload_2021-3-27_19-20-42.png

26. Alan040

Alan040

Thanks! updated and fixed texture stretch, added screenshot to PR

27. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Nice, new models! :)

@redcurry79: the cutting board looks really nice, and in terms of polygons: the less, the better!
    Personally I prefer the first option in terms of textures, it's clean and it goes very well with the art style! Maybe it could be enriched with some more details, like traces of cuts (in thin black lines?)

@Alan040 nice, thanks! Will take a look.

redcurry79 likes this.
  28. redcurry79

redcurry79

Thanks! I'll play around with additional details (cuts, grease marks, and other signs of wear). I'm not an artist, but I'll try my best!

I also thought that the festival needs some beer (these townsfolk know how to party!) Here's a model I made of an antique-style beer keg. It's currently 1,556 triangles, but I could bring it down if I reduce the polys on the spigot. I haven't textured it, yet, but if you think the game should have a beer keg, I'll continue to work on it. Also, please let me know if it fits the art style or how I should modify it to make it fit.

upload_2021-3-28_15-55-38.png

Harsh-NJ, MortyJHin, laczkyl and 2 others like this.
  29. laczkyl

laczkyl

I am modelling a well for the town, to replace the placeholder, textures should take a while.

well.png

30. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

I like the 1st and 3rd one. But 3rd is looking more realistic. 1st is more cartoonish.
    2nd is too dark tinted and highly scaled version of 1st (I think).

redcurry79 likes this.
  31. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Testing new graphics for the short bridge. I'm going to start working on the long one, but I want to see the reactions to the short one, so I have something to base it on. I'm happy that I decided to revise the textures.

Attached Files:

redcurry79, Smurjo and itsLevi0sa like this.
  32. Smurjo

Smurjo

TreesGrowingQuadratic.PNG

I like the texture on top of the poles which reminds of annual growth rings. It make me laught though, apparently on this island, they must have tree trunks that conveniently grow quadratic. I wouldn't mind we keep that as a joke...

Are you planning to make the rope somewhat more round where it goes around the edges?

MortyJHin likes this.
  33. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Not at the moment. I tried beveling the edges before, but it wouldn't look natural since the poles have very sharp edges.
    If we want the ropes to be rounder, I can bevel the poles and the ropes together. My only issue with doing that is the bridge would stand out from some of the structures with hard edges.

Here are some attempts:
    Rope Beveled
    2.JPG

Pole and Rope Beveled
    a.JPG

However, I'm always down for suggestions

Smurjo likes this.
  34. redcurry79

redcurry79

I tried texturing the beer keg by following the style of the original artwork: few solid colors and black detail lines. Here's the result:

upload_2021-3-29_17-49-16.png

But I've noticed that even the main characters don't strictly follow the original style. Should I try adding more shades of brown for the wood and gray for the metal?

35. redcurry79

redcurry79

I like the overall design of the bridge! Are you planning on adding more details to the model? As it is, it looks a little too perfect. I'd expect to see some chips and bends on the supports and planks. Perhaps some slight rotation on the planks as well, so it looks like it's been worn.

Here's a quick method on adding details to wood (it happens to be for a similar bridge):

MortyJHin likes this.
  36. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Lol, it is pretty similar to my bridge.

I didn't add bends/chips to the bridge due to polycount. However, I'll try playing around with the idea since I want to make rounder ropes while not standing out from the other structures. So I'll see what I can do.

Attached Files:

• c.JPG
      c.JPG
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
    cirocontinisio and redcurry79 like this.
  37. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Wow, really nice stuff everyone!

Super nice model! Just bear in mind we're removing the black outline. But fine black lines for details can be in the textures for scratches and small marks. And yes, I'd add some more hues and details to the wood and metal. We're using the original concepts as a guide but we did add more details to both characters and environments, to make them more visually interesting. You could use the rocks and trees/bushes as a guide, or the protagonist's walking stick.

It's coming out so nicely! I agree with Smurjo's suggestion, and I think you can go a long way by just beveling the corners of the rectangular section of the pole, so it becomes a rounded rectangle rather than an octagon. An octagon would feel like "we wanted to make it round but we didn't have enough polygons", but a rounded rectangle looks more like a deliberate style choice. Just my proverbial 2 cents!

Super cute! No problem, we have time!

MortyJHin likes this.
  38. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Here is the reworked Pier:
    - Added 8 edges to the Posts
    - Reworked the Rope, but not finished yet
    - Beveled the Planks and vertical beams

improved1.png
    improved2.png
    improved3.png
    So should I add more edges to the Posts, if required?

39. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hey @MortyJHin, I tried every way to make a good looking rope texture, but couldn't. It would be nice for me if you can share your bridge texture, and I will take the rope part from it to use in @arunchahar's pier.
    Thanks in advance.

40. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Sorry for the late reply. That sounds good; I'll definitely try that. Right now, I want to play with the suggestions from @redcurry79 while working on a good-looking rope.

So I actually hand-painted the ropes myself, especially since almost all of the game assets are handpainted(from what I know of). I used the 3D paint feature in Photoshop since I can use the Layer Styles to add strokes on the wood and add a unique painting style. I'm actually thinking of re-doing it since I'm fixing the style of the bridge. Here's the rope segment of my bridge texture. Keep in mind that you might have to fix some parts of this segment.

Attached Files:

41. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Thanks very much, I will try it and will post a screenshot.
    What is that 3D paint. I did not know about it. How it is done?

42. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

I mean you can hand paint stuff in Blender(which I recommend), but the feature I'm talking about is where you can paint directly on a 3D model in Photoshop. All you have to do is get an obj of the model(FBX don't work), drag it, and then it will give you some options. Unless you need some specific, you can press okay without changing anything. Again, Blender works fine and even performs better than what I am using, because it lags on some computers(based on personal experience).

43. redcurry79

redcurry79

Thanks. I added more details to the texture. Here's the result (without the black outline):

upload_2021-4-4_17-35-41.png

Let me know how else I can improve it, or if it looks good I can do a pull request.

cirocontinisio, MortyJHin and laczkyl like this.
  44. redcurry79

redcurry79

I decided to go with a hand-painted approach (rather than procedural textures). I also added cut marks and other signs of wear. What do you think?

upload_2021-4-4_19-14-57.png

45. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

So I decided to remodel the planks and the rope, which turned out to be a good idea. The polycount is still pretty solid, and I'm happy with all the suggestions that everyone gave me. Besides the video for ideas on the bridge, I also added some nails on the wood. If there are any other suggestions, I am all ears :D. If there is none, I will fix a couple of things to make it usable(making it a prefab and such). I might also work on the long bridge and possibly another town structure that I have been planning for. Do we still want it to be a longer version of the small one, or do we want it to be a hanging bridge?

[Edited] I just realized that the ropes are not aligned, and the photo does not show the beams being a bit crooked. Something I'll fix before any adjustments or sending a PR.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    redcurry79 and Smurjo like this.
  46. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Here's the Pier:
    Note: I am still on 2019 LTS (and will download 2020 LTS on the 8th April release) But the pier is here.
    final.png
    And the blue circles, is this intended for the Water shader, or fixed in the current update which do not have yet?
    final2.png

And finally this talk:
    PierTalk.png

47. laczkyl

laczkyl

I just finish texturing the well and one post and latern for extra! festival! spirit! Is there anything else need for the town? WellShot.png

Attached Files:

48. laczkyl

laczkyl

These are some of the textures and atlas I have been using, they were made by me if someone wants to use them.

Attached Files:

49. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Wow, thanks everyone, these are really, really great!

Please always test the objects without lines, as in any case we are removing them. I have some exciting news related to the art style, will post soon!

Harsh, I feel like the pier still needs some work on the texturing. Some feedback:
    - The planks on the top clearly show a lot of repetition
    - Their texture is also a bit off style with some other wood textures found in the game. Try to make something that looks like other wood we already have?
    - Why are the two types of planks showing different wood textures and colours? I imagine for a structure like this, everything would be made from the same wood quality
    - The poles have no texture
    - The ropes also need some work. Right now it just feels like they have some stripes painted on. I imagine you want to emulate the strands that compose a rope, in that case you need some work on the lighting, you need to make them "feel 3D"

50. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Firstly, Thanks for Feedback.

All the Planks UVs are on the Same Texture, show I introduce a variety of plank textures, or something like rotating the UVs.

I tried to make them look real, but I almost forgot about the game style. I will try to use the textures of wood by @laczkly.
    The bottom wood I thought would a kind of rotten because of water, therefore darker in color. But if this is not desirable, I will make them identical.

Noted. I will add a Texture on them too.

I also believe but cannot figure out what to do. I just used the textures by @MortyJHin.

Also, when the project will end. Because my Final exams are going to start around starting may, and will end around mid-june. So therefore I will be busy and will not give any time in here. So I want to finish this pier till 25th April.