Search Unity

Official 3D art assets

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Oct 1, 2020.

1. treivize

treivize

Sure @Smurjo help yourself! Do not hesitate to propose also your version of any item listed here. I found your idea to use a giant seashell to make a bowl a good idea! It might be a precious bowl for high ranking townsfolk members :)

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  2. treivize

treivize

An update before going to bed on the modeling my list...
    upload_2020-11-27_0-54-52.png

Attached Files:

3. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Super nice! Keep an eye on those polygons though, the bowl is a bit "squared" (but that might be ok, we should see it in game) while other things seem very high poly.

We should also start thinking a bit about materials and draw calls. If all of these objects have a different material, then we are talking about a lot of draw calls! Are you planning to make them flat coloured? Maybe some of those could have a texture with flat colours, but reuse the same material.

4. treivize

treivize

@cirocontinisio, sure I was planning to use a unique texture for all of them.
    About poly count I try to keep an eye on them, but I will double check. Do you have a rough estimation of how many tri max such assets should add to the scene?

5. Smurjo

Smurjo

Here comes the shell bowl. It's 466 triangles, texture 512x512. shell_bowl.JPG

cirocontinisio and itsLevi0sa like this.
  6. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

It's always hard to say a number. It depends if the object is close or far away, its size, if it's obstructing others, etc.

I would say, as a rough ballpark, look at the density of polygons we have on some of the nature assets we commissioned (with a couple of exceptions, notably the fern which I'm noticing has WAY more polygons than I thought).

Done veeeery quickly:

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 23.27.42.png

I marked which object seem good in terms of polygons and which ones we should take a look at. For the characters obviously we want more density because they're often the focus of the scene.

7. treivize

treivize

I have worked on removing some triangles and do my UVs (Texturing is just plain color only) but here is the result in situation:
    upload_2020-11-28_21-42-56.png

Regarding poly:
    upload_2020-11-28_21-44-58.png

- Fork (980)
    - Spoon (small & big) (750 & 750)
    - Dish (small & big) (320 & 320)
    - Glass (transparent & opaque) (380 & 500)
    - Salad Bowl (small & big) (600 & 640)
    - Vase with flowers (1500)
    - Pitcher (1700)
    - Coconut cup (1000)
    - Table (small and big) (3000 & 1700)
    - Palm leaf set (400)
    - Chair (round and wood) (2000 & 850)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  8. danten66

danten66

Hi all,

Coming into this several weeks in now seems all a bit overwhelming. It does seem as if I missed any of the rigging tasks at this point so onto modeling some other things (which is probably a good place to start anyway since I have not even opened Unity yet - let alone imported into it.)

Is there something in particular that is needed that is not being handled by Unity Staff or the Community as of yet?

9. laczkyl

laczkyl

I came in ONE week later and it felt a little bit overwhelming, you haven't missed much Art related, almost everything has been handled by the staff as a guide at the moment. The two enemy models that were up for rigging were done last week, and that's it. Throwing ideas in the Concept Art thread before starting to model something seems like a good idea because you get feedback from the community if it worth pursuing, other than that is really up to you.

Personally, I feel that as in any game some staples are missing:
    -Trunks, Crates, Boxes
    -Collectibles (Coins, Fruits? , Vegetables, Will-o-Wisp Phoenix fire?)
    -Platforms, Walls, Levers.

And then there are the characters and critters which I don't know if we can model ourselves or wait for the gunshot.

I am working in some basic, town assets, just in case:
    ScreenShotHouses.png ScreenShotHouses2.png

Ezio Porcotore

treivize, Smurjo, itsLevi0sa and 2 others like this.
  10. danten66

danten66

Thanks for the insight.

I can start some boxes / containers of some sort that might fit the island theme. They would be easy to fit into my busy schedule (famous last words.)

I did start a couple of backpacks for the townsfolk last night on a whim and have received some great feedback.

cirocontinisio likes this.
  11. Smurjo

Smurjo

I would have imagined it to look somewhat more like a palm leaf:
    After all it should look like as if we are somewhere tropical. Would you mind if take it on?

12. treivize

treivize

Yeah it was more a placeholder for the moment, I was planning to make it look like this through the texturing and alpha cutoff. If you want to do it, please go ahead! I have more than enough work on texturing the rest of the furniture :)

13. Smurjo

Smurjo

Here comes the palm leaf set. It is 322 triangles, texture 32x128. Palm leaf place map.JPG

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  14. Smurjo

Smurjo

I fear I am getting insane - why of all things did I have to make a lobster? It's 3227 triangles, texture 1024x512.
    upload_2020-12-2_19-37-45.png

itsLevi0sa and cirocontinisio like this.
  15. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

That's funny, but can I suggest one thing? Why don't you try and make it more cartoony? With exaggerated proportions. That would save a lot of polygons too.

Also, that's a living thing. Are we going to animate it? Or are you thinking of it as food - for the festival?

In both cases, I'd simplify it. You can probably google some cartoony lobster and try to replicate the proportions.

16. Smurjo

Smurjo

I was thinking of it as food. They only get red when cooked. I am not insane enough yet to animate 10 legs (6 of them with claws), plus antenna plus mouthparts...

I will see what I can do to make it more cartoony. I fear it will not safe many triangles though, as it still has 10 legs...

17. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Think triangle density, as I've shown in this post:

Basically make the details match the role that the model has on screen, whether it's a "hero" model or if it's surrounded by other details, etc.

Or... does it? :D

I think you can manage to keep it under 1000. Remove things if necessary. Give it less legs, for instance, make them shorter, simplify the curve of the 'moustache', etc.

Anything can be less triangles if you want it to be! Believe!! :D

18. erizzoalbuquerque

erizzoalbuquerque

I opened a PR with the Frying Pan (~600 tris). I changed the frying pan to this forum thread because it seems more like a prop than accessory.
    PR: https://github.com/UnityTechnologies/open-project-1/pull/252

I tried to increase the number of edges on the pan, but then I got back. I'm using the Pottery and the PotOverFire assets as reference and they are a bit more low poly. I think that keeping fewer edges make the pan more coherent with these assets.

laczkyl likes this.
  19. laczkyl

laczkyl

Something like this perhaps?
    CartoonLobster.png

20. Smurjo

Smurjo

I believe you. Only then the model isn't anymore what I wanted it to be. I don't get warm with 2 legged cartoon lobsters. They might get close to teddy bears, but they don't look like food.

I spend a complete day to reduce the triangles to 2713. That's about it. I can't bear to cut off any legs (did you know my daughter would count the ribs on 3D modelled skeletons and inform me if there are ribs missing?) or take any more triangles from its belly,,which so far looks still kind of correct.

On the plus side it's somewhat more cartoony. Apparently cartoon lobster claws are twice as thick as real lobster claws.
    upload_2020-12-3_20-1-30.png

21. shuttle127

shuttle127

laczkyl likes this.
  22. erizzoalbuquerque

erizzoalbuquerque

23. danten66

danten66

That design is great! Despite it being cooked - I'd be happy to try rigging and animating one - perhaps our chef has to catch one? (Not sure who to pitch that too.)

24. Smurjo

Smurjo

I have created LOD1 (966 triangles) and LOD2 (200 triangles) for the Lobster. Only for some reason the transition between LOD1 and LOD2 doesn't work (LOD0 to LOD1 works fine). Is this a matter of project settings? I have never seen issues with it in my other projects.

25. shuttle127

shuttle127

That's something for the dialogue and narrative thread, which I'm not linking because most of the content on it is related to the original version of the story and there was talk of starting a new thread once we get to quests and such. Right now I think we're trying to work through how we're going to document the game flow using diagrams, and from what I see so far, maybe the lobster is the key ingredient in the beach?

danten66 likes this.
  26. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

I don't know if the LOD is super useful for the lobster, since the player is always going to be relatively close to it. So it will mostly stay on LOD0, maximum polygons.

27. Smurjo

Smurjo

Why should the player be close to it all the time? Or rather the camera ... it's the camera position that matters. LODs work in percent of screen size, so for a comparably small object like the lobster (it isn't a house) the distance to the camera where LOD1 starts is just 5 m (it can be changed of course). In the testscene the camera is roughly 10 m from the player. So unless the camera is brought in close, the lobster will be LOD1 even when the player stands on it.

28. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hello, what about this Wood Bench

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a texture artist, so don't go about texturing. It will be done later or by anyone else here.

Wood_Bench_1.png

From another angle Wood_Bench.png

Full screen shot regarding mesh information:
    Wood_Bench_2.png

29. Smurjo

Smurjo

I can't be sure without looking at the texture coordinates/UV, but there might be something wrong with them. Those stripes on the bottom part typically appear when you have same UV on the left and on the right side. The best texture artist can't fix that since he/she would have to paint a texture that is 1 pixel wide (this might be taking the economising on texture size a bit too far...)

You would have to remap the UV coordinates in your 3D modelling program. Typically there would be an UV-Editor in which you can place the vertices of your model at specific points of the texture. There is also automatic texture projection but that doesn't always work with more complex geometry. If you are using Blender you might try a cylinder projection from top orthografic view separately on the top and bottom part of your model (you only create new UV for the selected vertices).

Let me know if that helped. If you like I can make a texture when you post the UV map (I need to know what goes where). I am thinking of some kind of tree bark on the round surfaces.

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  30. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Sure, I will send screenshot of UV editor tonight. Yes, it's blender and I used smart UV project for both of them.

Smurjo likes this.
  31. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Yes sure. I will like it very much

32. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Here's the Bench's top part UV Layout (by smart project)
    Wood_bench_top_UV_Layout.png

Of the bottom
    Wood_bench_bottom_UV_Layout.png

And if i used cylindrical project in top orthographic view (as you suggested)
    Wood_bench_UV_doing_Cylinderical_Projection.png (this is the step i think)

Final result
    Wood_bench_UV_Cylinderical_Projection.png

Please let me know if I have to share anything else.

Smurjo likes this.
  33. Smurjo

Smurjo

That's great... looks like the smart UV project is kind of doing ok in this case. I will set to work the texture, see what I can do.

34. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Very nice, we will together make it.

35. Smurjo

Smurjo

Here comes the texture. BenchTextureCombined2.png

danten66 likes this.
  36. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

apply and showing you tomorrow

EDIT: Applying, meant.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  37. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hello, @Smurjo, I want to ask two question.

I didn't provide you UV Layout, just those screenshots, how you made the texture so perfectly, edge to edge, corner to corner.

And how you made this, by brush hand made. How you drew that wood by yourself? It's amazing. Please let me know.

38. Smurjo

Smurjo

I made the texture with GIMP.

Matching the texture: From the screenshot I saw how the it was divided into these 5 pieces, and I guessed they would be exactly 50%, so I calculated the number of pixels required. I made the pieces separately and put them together after scaling them to the right number of pixels (In general you don't want to be scaling the texture repeatedly as this always comes with a slight blurring). GIMP conveniently shows the number of pixels on the outside so you can place the corner of something exactly where calculated (You want to blow up the view so you can see the single pixels). If it had been more complicated, I could have scaled the screenshot to the right size, put it on a layer in GIMP and use that to place my texture on.

The question how to draw is more difficult to answer. I was experimenting (pencil, copy/paste, filling, softening, playing with color intensity and tint) and it took me hours. Besides I have the unfair advantage of years of practice and I have always been good at drawing, even in school. I could indeed paint a similar picture with a physical brush on physical canvas (it might not be what you would typically hang on the wall though), but that would take me even longer since there is no copy/paste, undo or changing colörs after you have put them on.

I would consider it the most important thing is that you have a picture in your mind (or on the screen in form of a photo in some cases) of what you want to draw before you start. Google is a great resource for that, besides I have been photographing all kind of stuff for years, including buildings, rocks, leafes, crops, weeds and indeed trees. You want to figure out the characteristic things, for example the annual growth rings. You don't necessarily want copy the picture exactly. While showing the rings I kind of made them more cartoony and more interesting by giving them different shades of color. Also a real tree of the size to make a bench from would have more rings, but they would not be visible in the game if the get too thin (Actually most of the time the texture is possibly barely recognizable in game, but you would design the texture for the few moments the camera get's close).

To give you another example, for the bark I figured out these characteristic things, albeit they are more difficult describe (in addition the different species of trees have different barks, I hope this one kind of fits for many species)
    - some overall blotchy vertical pattern of colors and folds caused by trees growth and left overs from water that had run down the tree trunk
    - variation in color - here I am again exaggering what would be there naturally
    - some irregularly shaped, roughly vertically rhombus-like crusts - in fact I didn't draw the crusts but the cracks between the crusts on top of the color pattern I had already made (a real good thing with GIMP is you can draw it on a separate layer, so you can erase and redraw without ruining the color pattern on the other layer).

cirocontinisio, Harsh-NJ and danten66 like this.
  39. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hi @Smurjo, it's done. There was some marginal UV displacements, but I fixed them (and i'm very glad that I did it). Now, I request @cirocontinisio, to review my bench so I can open a PR.

This bench, I thought is a kind of bench in a park where people eat.

And yes, special thanks to @Smurjo, as he created the texture.
    Thanks.

(Render)
    Wood_Bench_2.png
    (Another Render) Wood_Bench_1.png
    (Top part UVs)
    Wood_Bench_3.png
    (Regarding Mesh info)
    Wood_Bench_4.png

itsLevi0sa, cirocontinisio and Smurjo like this.
  40. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Nice that you're working together :)

A couple of suggestions, @Harsh-099, to improve it even further:
    1: You can smooth the polygons that compose the round parts. Not add new ones, just smooth the normals. In Blender you usually do it by selecting all of them and going "Shade Smooth".
    2: You can add a few polygons and then literally move the vertices in random positions, very slightly, to make the shape much more interesting.
    2b: this way you can add small details like the one below
    3: you can finally Bevel all of the "major" polygons, so that corners don't look razor sharp.

This would bring your bench to the next level!

upload_2020-12-16_15-49-45.png

erizzoalbuquerque and itsLevi0sa like this.
  41. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Thank you very much for reviewing my work. For the improvements:

1. You mean the round part faces, which make the outer part of the real tree. I will shade them smooth by selecting them and clicking shade smooth 3~4 times.

2. How will I do this, not understood I think.

2b. You mean I will select all side vertices and slightly uplift them.

3. Bevel modifier should do this.

Curious sidenote:
    In the suggestion 1, how are normals smoothed out, as far as I know, normals are 90 degree to a plane/face. How can a perpendicular be "Smoothed" out?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  42. Smurjo

Smurjo

The normals are associated with the vertices, not with the faces. In fact they are an additional feature because for a face you wouldn't need to store the normal as it is defined - as you said - by the vertex positions already (you can calculate it per triangle by normalizing the cross-product of two edge vectors). The normals can be used to make even a single triangle appear rounded.

This the .obj description of a single flat triangle (you can actually store it as .obj and import to Blender):

v 0 0 0
    v 0 1 0
    v 1 0 0
    vn 0 0 1
    f 1//1 2//1 3//1

and this is the .obj description of a rounded triangle with different normals:

v 0 0 0
    v 0 1 0
    v 1 0 0
    vn -1 -1 1
    vn 0 1 1
    vn 1 0 1
    f 1//1 2//2 3//3

And this is how they look like side by side in Blender:

flat and rounded triangle.JPG

When several faces come together at a vertex there might be a different normal from every face. If you want a sharp corner at the vertex, you have to have in fact several normals at the same location. If you want a smooth corner, one normal will be enough being the average of the normals of the faces.

I say the average since I assume it's a simple average, but I don't know how Blender really does it. It would make sense to do some weighting so that faces which take a bigger angle have proportionally more weight in the average. Else, with a simple average, the normal of the vertex will change in case you divide a face with an edge from the vertex.

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  43. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

It's done
    Wood_Bench_Improved.png
    Wood_Bench_Improved_2.png

44. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

45. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Looks much better!

You should only select it one time. Shade Smooth (at least in Blender) doesn't add new geometry, but just averages the normals so that they will look like the surface is smooth, even though you don't have many polygons in that area.

Can you share an image of the new model with edges visible?

46. Smurjo

Smurjo

Not sure whether thats an UV-displacement or a misunderstanding. I intended a thin stripe of cut tree bark to be visible on top at the long edges.

BTW I am not a "he" but "she".

47. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Yes, I kept a Backup before doing yesterday's Improvements. I will again copy the Backup file and click Shade Smooth only one time.

For edges, I selected the edge and clicked Ctrl+E for edge menu and selected Bevel. Then Beveled a little (Can be seen in the images, at the sides) with 3 segments and 0.05 profile.

48. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Are edges not visible now?

49. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

From UV displacement I mean the UVs were slightly away from their original position in the image. I just moved the UVs around, sacled and rotated them to fit the perfect image on them.

50. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Ok, I'm sorry
    And yes, special thanks to @Smurjo, as she created the texture.

cirocontinisio likes this.