Search Unity

Official 3D art assets

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by cirocontinisio, Oct 1, 2020.

1. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

A small clarification regarding art. We have planned quite a few 3D assets to get the project started, which will be produced by our team. The reason for this is that we want the initial batch of art to be coherent and set some guidelines in terms of file type, polygonal resolution, etc. We wanted them to be ready at the starting line, but they were delayed. Apologies for that.

In fact, some cards you see on the roadmap are related to this and you can see they have been assigned to the Unity Team user. A few examples: 1 - 2 - 3
    What we meant by this is: "Don't worry, we'll take care of that!"

In terms of characters, we will have:
    • Pig Chef
    • Phoenix Chick
    • Forest Eye
    • King Eye
    • Rock critter
    • Bard Hare

For 3D props, we will have:
    (some of these will have variations)
    • Big rock
    • Mid-sized rock / Boulder
    • Small rock / Rubble
    • Tree
    • Tree stump
    • Broken tree
    • Palm tree
    • Bush
    • Fern plant
    • Grass
    • Flowers
    • Shell
    • Bamboo
    • Lantern
    • Knife
    • Walking cane
    • Pouch
    • Sitar
    • Directions sign
    • Torch pole
    • Chest
    • Small pot
    • Ladder set
    • Campfire
    • Boat
    This seems like a long list but as you can imagine, there are plenty of gaps for 3D artists, texturers, etc. to contribute more assets, animations, and potentially new characters. In fact, we will need them as we come up with small cutscenes, new interactions, and more.

This doesn't mean you can't get started modeling something, but keep in mind the lists above. We'll have news on this soon, and we'll update the roadmap accordingly.

Same conversation for the music, but we don't have a finalised list of incoming assets yet.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    konsnos, luisquid and Jirushi like this.
  2. Neonage

Neonage

Will we make funky adaptive music? :D

3. pumodi

pumodi

@cirocontinisio along these lines I was curious about that first batch of SFX you have listed on Codecks. I'm assuming that's a similar situation since it has the Unity avatar and is bronzed.

4. pietrofigura

pietrofigura

Great! I was wondering about the 3D assets, and I was also thinking about coherence, so this makes perfect sense.
    I would like to contribute to this part of the project, so I will follow the updates on this, and maybe start to do something :)

5. ouraf

ouraf

Maybe in the next project then...

6. pumodi

pumodi

One thing that everyone is going to have to practice is patience on this. As you said it's a new process and everyone will be learning.

I think your first point was answered here:
    Code (csharp):
    1. The reason for this is that we want the initial batch of art to be coherent and set some guidelines in terms of file type, polygonal resolution, etc. We wanted them to be ready at the starting line, but they were delayed. Apologies for that.
    The intention is that we will have assets to work on but this first batch is for the Unity folks to set a quality standard.

Also remember that cirocontinisio is going to be pinged by pretty much everyone. There will be times where we won't hear from them after a ping.

We all need to be considerate and give the team some time to iron out the kinks. I'm sure the amount of communication that they have to deal with is overwhelming. Especially considering it's only been two days since the announcement trailer.

7. MattMirrorfish

MattMirrorfish

I think that anyone and everyone is free to make as much work inspired by / about / related to this project as they want, whenever and however they want.

If they want it to make it into the mainline repository and final release though there will need to be some patience and understanding as the team starts work, sets standards and gets in synch. This is a brand new process being run by a small team, even if it's at Unity. Give them time to get their feet. I don't think anyone knew that there would be as many people excited to work right away.

GhAyoub, ArtofRemo, pumodi and 2 others like this.
  8. elenagode7

elenagode7

Hey! Glad to see this cool list of characters and props. I would like to contribute in the project as much as I could.
    And It is going to be a cool oportunity to practise stylized modelling and texturing.
    I will keep an eye to the updates, roadmap and the forum.

9. MortyJHin

MortyJHin

Makes sense, I'm pretty excited about the project.

cirocontinisio likes this.
  10. mick-toulouse

mick-toulouse

11. ArtofRemo

ArtofRemo

Hi there, I have some spare time on hand and would be interested in contributing to the game's 3D Art.

To me game the initial impression for the art style would be based of "Spyro, Sea of Thieves, Ratchet and Clank, Yookalaylee and the likes": stylized PBR. I am experienced with these styles and am a very fast modeler.

My portfolio, currently being revamped, is here. I specialize in assets but im also proficient in procedural texturing.
    https://www.artstation.com/removandesande

Is there a discord for this project where we could apply/discuss development topics ?

Zold2012 and Neonage like this.
  12. shuttle127

shuttle127

That "Pioneer" character looks awesome! First thing I thought of was Jak and Daxter when I saw it, can't go wrong with that!

As for Discord, check out the Discord suggestion thread, doesn't seem like a decision has been made yet, although it sounds like the official Unity Discord might be getting a channel specifically for this.

michaelgrilo, ArtofRemo and Neonage like this.
  13. Neonage

Neonage

Game of my childhood, this series needs more love <3
    @ArtofRemo awesome models!

ArtofRemo likes this.
  14. ArtofRemo

ArtofRemo

thanks you 2 ! I casted my vote in the discord suggestion thread.

I will check this thread from time to time for progress status on the art.

15. Junglerally

Junglerally

Would this be the thread to ask about making a particle for the game?

16. ArtofRemo

ArtofRemo

I think so yes ! atm im waiting till we get some clearer vision for the visuals.

Regarding the 3D Art:
    - we should make guidelines regarding PBR values/Colors.
    - we could/should make some SmartMaterials for Substance Painter to get a unified look. There are some very useful ones we could use for Rocks/Metal/Skin on Artstation marketplace.

i.e. https://www.artstation.com/marketpl...al&utm_campaign=homepage&utm_term=marketplace

17. GordonArber

GordonArber

I don't believe there is an official thread for Effects & Particles yet, this probably would be the closest one until one is created.

18. Junglerally

Junglerally

Yeah, I saw the thread for effects on particles on Friday I think. But I'm pretty sure all of the particles have been taken, and since that was the only thing on my level I am just waiting for something else I can do to pop up that might actually be programming related.

19. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

It would be great if you've shared what you've done on that thread though (especially since so far nobody on that thread did?). Maybe your input brings something new to the table and you could help improve someone else's work or vice versa :) The point is to learn from one another and discuss possible solutions instead of working solo and think you cannot contribute because someone else is working on it. You definitely can.

@ArtofRemo not sure if a marketplace solution will be an option for this project, but in any case it would be helpful to start discussions on texturing (and modelling) guidelines at some point, probably as soon as we have the basic 3d models in the project.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  20. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Hey all, we finally have some art to share with you. I just pushed a new branch called art-assets.

AssetsPreviw.png

In it, you'll find 2 main things:
    - The toon shader, supporting both characters/dynamic objects and baked objects.
    - A lot of art assets, including:
    • Pig Chef
    • Rock Critter
    • Tree
    • Fallen tree
    • Tree stump
    • Bush
    • Bamboo cane
    • Shell
    • 2 big rocks, 2 medium rocks, 3 rubble rocks
    • Grass
    • Fern plant
    Please note the ground is only temporary.

This is just part of the art we're making, but also a very small portion of the art we need for the whole game.
    I will soon put a list together of things we'd need help with, and it's going to contain a couple of surprises with respect to the one posted on the first post of this thread.

In the meantime, that is the quality that we are trying to achieve for both characters and props.

21. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

A couple more shots since I realised that the previous one is terrible:

upload_2020-10-25_21-46-29.png upload_2020-10-25_21-46-54.png upload_2020-10-25_21-48-24.png upload_2020-10-25_21-48-52.png upload_2020-10-25_21-49-22.png

Syriph, GordonArber, roxioxx and 2 others like this.
  22. Syriph

Syriph

I would love to start making some models as my first contribution, to ensure I have a good understanding of how git works.

Could I offer to create an asset to start, maybe the wooden sword asset? Is there concept art for this, or are we free to create that ourselves, before we model?

cirocontinisio and Scrubette like this.
  23. laczkyl

laczkyl

I did some plants as a test. Not quite sure what the limitations are, but no normals, no alpha, and handpainted right?
    Plants.jpg

Attached Files:

24. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Uh, those are really cute! Send them with a PR on the art-assets branch, do you know how to create one?

Also you're right, we are coming up with an art style guide, for technical constraints and stuff. We'll put it out soon. But those look good to me!

25. laczkyl

laczkyl

I don't know how! o_O but I am making different assets, will wait for the style guide, adjust them and then I will figure out how to create a PR.
    HouseScreenshot.jpg HouseScreenshot1.jpg

26. Smurjo

Smurjo

Really cute. and I guess that count's for 2 storeys..

If you are building for the town you would want to think of some sockets and small stairs as well to deal with height differences, as there isn't much level ground in the town really (in case it will look something like my whiteboxing).

27. laczkyl

laczkyl

Thanks, there is a lot of wrong with the building...since it has not been decided if that is style for the town, I not investing much time in fix the errors, I will test the stone house next.

cirocontinisio and itsLevi0sa like this.
  28. Smurjo

Smurjo

I don't know whether it still looks so cute if you put them one beside the other. In any way I think the thatched roof is appropriate for tropical. I think we can have stone sockets or some stone ground floors with wooden stuff above. But I really like the bend timbers and also the way the roof bends, as the supporting structure was bend from age.

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  29. Smurjo

Smurjo

I made a sombrero for the townsfolk. The way it's build right now it would require double-sided rendering. Any chance we will have that with the toon shader? Sombrero.JPG

Amel-Unity and cirocontinisio like this.
  30. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

@laczkyl nice work! I like the style of the house, not really having any straight line and having the toon feel in the structure as well, it kind of gives an identity of its own to it which I think it matches this setting pretty well. I guess the best way to go to decide any style for now is simply by doing something and seeing what might come out of it. And I think you made a great start.

cirocontinisio and adamgolden like this.
  31. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

@laczkyl yes, great job. I imagine it's still lacking some texturing, but it's fine since as you said we haven't 100% settled on the style yet.
    I would also like to see some smaller house, like one-storey. We haven't talked much about interiors, but if we think the character will enter houses... a two-storey house could pose a few extra challenges: for instance, we need stairs and currently the character only walks up very gentle slopes. Something to keep in mind.

Also, would you want to submit the plants you made so far? Would be nice to have them in the project.

@Smurjo: funny hat. I think you should give it a thickness, so it won't have holes or the need to render both faces.
    But careful with the number of polygons!

I also opened a thread specifically for accessories, let's post the next ones in there?

32. Noble-Woods

Noble-Woods

I just started following this project today, and I was curious if we have a location for people who want to share their source assets like Blender rigs, animations, Substance Designer files, etc.

If people are willing to share their source assets, it'd be great not only from a learning perspective, but it'd enable others to be able to make modifications or additions as the project demands.

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  33. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

It's a great idea, and it's easy to do on our end: we just ask the art contractors who made the art so far to share them, and we could put it in a Google Drive folder.

How do you see it being done by community members? Making a PR to the repo? It might be impractical, as source art files are sometimes bigger than 100MB, which is our limit.

Noble-Woods likes this.
  34. Smurjo

Smurjo

Concerning my stuff it's already included in the pull request's I made. In the folder's I made, e.g. for the earring, there is the texture as png, so if you open it with GIMP, you have exactly what I created. Same with the mesh, import the FBX to Blender, and you have what I had before the export (or you usually have, except with the earring Ciro felt the need to reduce the number if triangles...).

35. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

Can we include links to google drive/we transfer listed in a notepad in PR?
    If that is possible then we can share among ourselves.

@Noble-Woods But do consider everyone wont have adobe cc or affinity suites. All open source apps might not be to easy for each member of the community to use.

@cirocontinisio what is the prefered file format for vector artwork for use in games made with unity?

36. Noble-Woods

Noble-Woods

@cirocontinisio ya it might be a bit tricky for community files since we don't have a separate central asset depot for binary source files. Many of the free storage options like Azure DevOps start charging once you exceed a certain # of users too.

Two things off the top of my head would be sharing Dropbox or Google Drive folders and either letting people add to them or have a document/forum post somewhere that compiles a list of links to files that people have shared.

@aby_gamemaker I don't really see an issue with having the original file formats, if people don't have the software then they could just look at the exported files. While you'd typically make vector art in Illustrator (or whichever app you use) and then export it as an SVG, with Unity you'd probably export it as a PNG and then turn it into a Sprite, although I think Unity might have a vector package now that I need to look into.

37. laczkyl

laczkyl

I will try to work on the one smaller house over the weekend, I can re-use some of the topology of the other mesh. I am testing the trees I created and would like to submit them, but not sure how to create the PR still.
    Trees.png Trees2.png

38. laczkyl

laczkyl

Okay, I did the thing. (I think)... Now waiting for the feedback.

39. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

40. laczkyl

laczkyl

Thank you for the feedback, I think I've made all the changes, but have to put together all the prefabs again.

41. treivize

treivize

upload_2020-11-24_9-52-55.png

The texture has to be reworked a bit, but thinking about this mysterious island, I thought about having this piece place somewhere a bit hidden on the island, a legend from the past... :D What do you think about it?

It could be a (Meta) Easter egg :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    shuttle127, Smurjo and itsLevi0sa like this.
  42. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

It's a funny model, but I think one thing we shouldn't do in this project is just slap a bunch of things together from different cultures just because we can. So in this sense, I don't think this statue fits much.

The other thing I want to say is: in time we will also need some normal items, to actually populate the town and dress its inhabitants. How can we make sure to start from those first, and then get to the fancy stuff later?

Like, nobody made a fork :(

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  43. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

Or any kind of food/dish as well? Could even be used as accessory, like holding a lollipop or beverage or sth similar you would expect to see in a feast/celebration

44. treivize

treivize

No problem. Indeed, it was clearly not something done by working on priority...

Actually I was wondering the same: What are the most urgent things to do now? Looking at Codeck, plant and slime critters seemed to be high priority, that was why I jumped on it early during this sprint.

So good to have a direction where the effort should be on art assets. Sometimes I feel it is a bit difficult to know where to put the efforts. Maybe having regularly some "urgent asset needs" posts here based on what should be available would help.

45. Smurjo

Smurjo

Had you said you wanted fork, you would have 5 by now possibly... We can't assume about the townsfolk culture they have forks btw. Forks were not commonly used for eating in the middle ages for example, they only started to become popular from 16th/17th century. And concept art seems to lean more towards sporks...

- same here. So far I focussed on townsfolk accessoires since that card was out. At the same time I feel like a lone fighter on the concept art front, of which I think we need more of before we set out to model specific stuff. But it would help to have guidance what we make first and what we make later or never... I was tempted to start on the critter bike, but I am aware it is not exactly the first priority.

46. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  47. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

@Smurjo @treivize don't get me wrong, any contribution is appreciated. And I understand with no art list to work from, you can go in any direction and obviously it's more fun to do... fun objects.

Would you prefer us to put down a list of "most needed" objects? It would probably full of stairs, tables, chairs, stools, cutlery, plates, food...
    We just thought it would be more fun to leave it open. As you mentioned, Smurjo, it might be that these people don't even use traditional utensils, right? But if that could be useful, we'll put down a list.

Smurjo likes this.
  48. Smurjo

Smurjo

I think it would be useful. People that have a great idea of something could still do it even if it isn't on the list. But if you sit there and ask yourself "What do I do next?" - you can read through the list and pick something.

49. treivize

treivize

@cirocontinisio, really no problem, it is true that we are enjoying a lot doing cool stuff in this project, but like in my daily job, I clearly understand the need to do what needs to be done also :)
    I have thought about the following list of small objects that might make sense to build the town environment:

- Fork
    - Spoons (small & big)
    - Dishes (small & big)
    - Bowls (small & big)
    - Glasses (transparent & opaque)
    - Tables (small and big)
    - Chairs (low and high)
    - Carpets (square & rectangle)
    - Coconut
    - Barrel
    - Palm leaf place mate
    - Bucket
    - Pitcher
    - Hay stack
    - Wooden crate
    - Wooden ladder
    - Vase with flowers

I am just starting to unstack them one by one :)
    upload_2020-11-26_19-28-3.png

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Smurjo likes this.
  50. Smurjo

Smurjo

May I take a bowl? I would like to make one from a giant seashell.

We would also need food. Is there a list of ingredients already decided?