Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3D Animation Art Project! Help?!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by MashNGravy, Mar 4, 2016.

1. MashNGravy

MashNGravy

Hello guys,

Im an artist based in London currently working on a large scale installation which I am showing later this year. I have come to this forum as I have no 3D experience what so ever, and dont even know what platform to start at - looking around online it seems as if Unity would be the right thing for me, but still wanted to check in with some pros to get an opinion on where to start (... and if in fact this platform would be a bit of an overkill for my project?)

I basically want to make two separate 3D models depicting mountains with a bit of animation which I am then going to project onto two screens in this art show. I am not interested in creating an actual interactive game, but rather create these scenarios as two separate videos which will then be looped using projectors in the show.
    The reason why I have chosen to narrow my search down to platforms used for gaming is because its super important to me that the finished aesthetics of the project relate 3D design found in gaming.
    I started off playing around in Blender, but speaking to artist friends of mine whom have also worked on a amateur level in 3D platforms, im hearing more and more bad stuff about blender :eek: which has kinda put me off on the whole idea of trying to learn it.
    I guess it all boils down to what platform would suit the project the most, and also which one is more user friendly for a novice 3D developer?

So, basically, I want to create two different CGI mountains resembling terraced rice paddy mountains commonly found in China, which I then also wish to have a couple of 'workers' scattered around gathering rice (really doesn't need to be detailed but like more looking like people from a distance)
    I also want to make something which has additional movement, such as a bit of wind blowing the fields etc.
    Ive attached a reference image and also a crudely made photoshop mockup of the finished installation.

I hope someone could lead me in the right direction :) And please, let me know if you need me to elaborate something as I understand this post could be kinda super confusing!

Thanks!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Hello and welcome!

Unity is a game engine, and although it's possible to do modeling inside the editor with some third-party extensions, you'd have an even worse time than using Blender (which I love, btw).

I worked at a film production company before, and this sounds like something they would have done. The artists there used modeling software suited to professional animation like Cinema 4D or Maya. You'd render out your animation and run it through some type of projection mapping software to get it to conform to your real-world geometry.

So with that being said, this isn't really relevant to Unity at all, and consequently I doubt you'll find many -- if anyone -- here who can help you with this. You're better off looking for a specialized forum on projection mapping, I'd think.

3. MashNGravy

MashNGravy

Thanks for your reply Schneider21!

So what of these different platform would you recommend for a project like this, taking my newbie skill into account?
    I've heard quite a bit about Maya, but haven't really had a good look into it.

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Which tool depends partly on what platform you're running, as well as your budget. If you've got a Mac, I recommend Cheetah3D. It costs about US$100, but is worth every penny IMO. But if you have no budget or no Mac, then I think Blender is probably your best option.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Use Blender to make, rig, animate, and diffuse UV map the models. Manipulate them with Unity3D to get Unity's standard shader and the ability to do some simple transform position scripting.

I say Blender because it doesn't sound like you're invested in this long term, so why invest money? IMO you should shoot for a low-poly vector-style design, flat shade it with hard edges and just don't even worry about anything being "right" - your models can have wasted internal geometry.

Your friends probably don't like blender for reasons related to making optimal models that deform really well and stuff that doesn't impact your project. I know Maya is probably amazing, but it's also an expensive professional tool. It's also harder to learn an Autodesk application outside of professional education for it (where you'll also have free access to it) because there aren't 900 kids S***ting out (usually bad) YT vids about it. What I'm saying is- and I know what you're thinking as a college student, you could "just download" some version of any of these very-expensive professional 3D modeling applications; the joke would actually be on you because learning how to use it alone would be a nightmare. You're thinking "why learn Blende rin the first place if all the pros end up using 3DSMax?" - well they don't. A lot of indies do actually use Blender full-time. When you learn another application, it's all going to export .fbx anyway.