Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Landscape Builder - Procedural Terrains, Advanced Prefab System, spline tool, and more

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sstrong, Feb 24, 2016.

1. eaque

eaque

HI, Just passing buy and wanted to check the news about LB
    Any update foreseen dealing with weather system? or else....
    cheers

2. sstrong

sstrong

There is a new beta available which includes an updated weather system. We're also working on a number of other enhancements like Stencils which will allow users to draw where they wish to place topography, grass, trees, prefabs etc. Stencils is a larger piece of work which is still a WIP and isn't ready for use yet.

3. eaque

eaque

Ok! Might have a look! Thanks for your answer! info about the weather system are the other forum?

4. sstrong

sstrong

Info on the weather system is in the manual. If you have any questions feel free to post to this forum.

5. sstrong

sstrong

Creating Landscapes at Runtime

LB allows programmers to create landscapes at runtime. There are sample scripts and prefabs included that help programmers learn how to dynamically build their landscapes. However, runtime generation is a non-trivial activity and is not without extra challenges. For example, how do I create predictable landscapes that are still "random"? As a game developer, this is a problem you need to overcome. Also, how do I create a "random" landscape that still works with my overall game design and allows me to place objects and prefabs in the scene in a logical location?

When creating landscapes at runtime, we have some suggestions:
    • Have a clear idea of what you want your landscapes to look like
    • Create several variations of these first in the LB Editor
    • Modify one of the same runtime scripts to build one of your landscapes
    • On the Landscape Tab, next to "Terrain Settings" use the "S" script settings to Console window to get the code for your terrain settings.
    • Use the Script Curve to Output Window tool in the LB Editor to convert any Curve Modifiers in your Topography to C# code
    • Slowly modify some of the values in your topography, trees, grass, textures, prefabs sections of code to see what effect that has.
    • Use the LB Manual (click Help on the LB Editor Window Landscape tab) to see the full descriptions of all the variable attributes
    • Post in this forum any specific questions
    If you are not confident in programming Unity C# we'd suggest that runtime generation is probably something you might leave to later. In the meantime, there are many great Unity tutorials.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/s/scripting

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  6. sstrong

sstrong

Stencils - now in Beta

New in Landscape Builder version 1.4.0, Stencils allow you to quickly paint in the editor, where you want things to appear in your landscape. The Stencil editor is a top-down painting tool which allows you to map out where you want things placed. A Stencil can consist of multiple Stencil Layers, much in the same way a paint program has multiple drawing layers. Stencil Layers can be saved to produce texture Maps that can be used with other procedural placement features in Landscape Builder, like Topography, Texturing, Trees, Grass, Mesh or Prefab placement tools.

Stencil Layers contain the painted data in a compressed format within your scene. It can be helpful to think of Stencil Layers as a group of placement data that will be applied in a particular way. For example, you might want grass and rock prefabs to appear in some areas but trees in another. The grass and rock areas would appear in one Stencil Layer, and the tree areas in another. The two areas can overlap one another. Each Stencil Layer can be saved to a different Map texture for use elsewhere in LB.

More info about the Beta Program can be found here.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  7. sstrong

sstrong

Stencils - paint 2D Maps in the Editor for 3D procedural placement

8. sstrong

sstrong

Landscape Builder 1.4.0 is now in the Asset Store

9. eaque

eaque

Great!! The stencil stuff seems great! and i can't wait to check your weather update.
    By the way, it's been a while i have not tried but, each time i can't put my terrain into your landscape slot...It's not recognised by LB and i can't use LB to modify an already existing terrain. So i only use the skybox system of LB...lol
    ??

10. eaque

eaque

...Do you think your camera path can compete with pegasus? I never tried...and i don't own pegasus
    cheers

11. sstrong

sstrong

In the current manual (1.4.0), page 27, there is a section "Importing Terrains into a Landscape". Let us know how you go.

12. sstrong

sstrong

We haven't used pegasus, we typically use the LB solution. However, for more advanced camera movement, take a look at Unity 2017 Cinemachine.

antoripa likes this.
  13. eaque

eaque

Thanks for the answer! ;)

14. txarly

txarly

Hi, awesome the stencils, really good work.It opens a lot of possibilities.

I have a problem.I have map divided in 5 areas.I want them to be them at diferent heights, but i have no success trying to achieve this, as i get confused with "height scale,additive amount and add height(in case remove base noise is checked ).

areas
    --------
    1. --- 200 mts - forest terrain(ridged terrain)
    2 .--- 500 mts - forest terrain(ridged terrain)
    3. --- 800 mts- snow terrain(ridged with plain areas)
    4/5 -- 1200 mts - snow terrain(ridged with plain areas)

how is the best way to achieve this?

- is possible to apply stencils to texturing tab?
    - whats the best way to do a rounded hill or mound?

Thanks

lbuilder.png

15. sstrong

sstrong

Glad you liked the Stencils. Regarding using Stencils on the Texturing Tab, yes, in this release you'd save a texture "Map". These texture "Map" files can be used also for Tree, Grass or Mesh/Prefab placement. You can use the same Stencil Layer to create a Map for multiple items (like Texturing, Trees, Grass, Mesh/Prefabs..) or you can paint separate Stencil Layers and save a texture "Map" for each item placement type.

You can see this in the latest tutorial video around 13:30-14:00, 17:10, and 21:00-22:00.

For a rounded hill or mound you "could" use one of the Modifiers (e.g. Landform, Hills, Hill 02) but this would need to be applied after you've done all other Topography modifications. This is because the Topography tab overwrites all other heightmap data. In a future release, we're looking at moving the Modifiers into Topography Layers to avoid this scenario.

We'll get back to your shortly regarding your areas question.

txarly likes this.
  16. Dave_2000

Dave_2000

For your areas question, a lot of it depends on what the terrain underneath your stencil layers is.

If you have nothing underneath i.e. your areas 1-5 are the only topography layers you are going to have, this is probably the easiest situation to deal with. Leave "remove base noise" off (as it will essentially do nothing). I'd then leave additive amount at 1, as you want the middle of each area to be just that layer. If additive amount is less than 1, you'll probably have areas where the (flat) topography underneath will show through (which assumedly isn't what you want). Then simply tweak add height for each layer until you get the height you want for each (in case you haven't worked this out already, your areas should each use a different topography layer).

Another thing you should think about doing if the above option is your situation is giving a tiny bit of overlap between your stencil layer areas. Not much, but a small amount, generally at the point where each layer starts blending out to zero.

Otherwise, if you already have a layer underneath i.e. you have a "base" layer before your stencil layers, the situation may end up being a bit more complicated. First, you'll want to ensure that remove base noise is turned on, and I'd recommend having "add min height" on or, if you have multiple terrains, using the similar "add height" parameter (more on that in a bit). Again, if you don't want bits of the base layer showing through the middle of your stencil areas, leave the additive amount at 1 for each stencil layer. Then, start with "add height" at zero. Tweak the height scale for each of your layers until the "shape" of each layer is right. What I mean by this is that, say for mountains, you don't want really tall and thin mountains or really wide and flat mountains. You want something in between. Tweak the height scale until you find this point. If nothing is showing through the terrain, I'd recommend turning off all the other layers so you can edit a single one in isolation. After you have the height scale right, tweak the "add height" parameter until the layer is at your desired height. You'll want to make sure that you avoid the cliff-like artefacts that can result from setting this value too high.

If you are having difficulty understanding what the height scale, additive amount and add height do, we describe what these parameters do in the manual. We also have a video tutorial - topography (part 2) - which explains the height scale and additive amount parameters visually in a bit more detail. This tutorial can be found on our asset store page.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    txarly likes this.
  17. txarly

txarly

Hi, i created a terrain and export all to a package.In the new project,install package but i have problems with the stencil maps.I had to copy the images of the stencil layers because they were missing after instalation of the package.The problem is that in the LB stencil appear the layers, but are empty, so I assign manually in the LB stencil layer script with the images i copy/paste.The problem:

- they appear inverted in the map after assigment.The image is rorated 180 º
    - Even if i generate the heihmap or exit the stencil editor they are not saved and keep blank so i have to reassign,but never remain.I get this error.

Snap 2017-09-05 at 12.02.41.png

Any idea?

18. sstrong

sstrong

Did you export as an LBTemplate? Did you tick "include Map Textures?" If so, can you email us a copy of the template package file?

When you import the LBTemplate package, you should see something like this:

Import_LBStencil_Package.png

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  19. txarly

txarly

First i exported from the export tab, with the results i explained.

Now i have exported the template with the "include Map Textures" and import in a new project.Now works correctly and the stencils are correct.
    The only thing is it only export 1 map texture(i have 7 layers).It was the last layer.So may be only exports the last or the active layer,the other maps i had to import manualy.It doen´t allow me now to edit and paint on the layers, the circle brush doesn´t appear now.

20. sstrong

sstrong

Ok, we'll investigate - should support multiple layers and should have exported 7 (compressed) textures.

21. sstrong

sstrong

We have tested a LBStencil with multiple layers, saved a template package, and imported it into another project. Then applied this template to a landscape (overwriting any existing data). We can click "Show Stencil" and paint any (A)ctive stencil layer.
    Maybe email us a copy of your template package so that we can re-pro your issue.

Something I didn't mention in my earlier post, the compressed textures are part of the template prefab. When you tick "Include Map Textures", that will include any "Saved Maps" which you may have generated from the Stencil Layers. Including the Saved Maps will allow them to be automatically applied to any Texturing, Trees, Grass, Mesh/Prefab placement you may have done in the original project.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  22. Migueljb

Migueljb

Just wanted to say how much I really love using this. Makes putting down anything vegetation and model wise such a breeze. From day 1 I was able to add my terrain and just throw down vegetation as needed exactly what I was looking for and have tried pretty much all the other terrain stuff like this and by far LB is the best.

I look forward to diving deeper using this. Thanks for making this.

sstrong likes this.
  23. sstrong

sstrong

Thanks. Don't forget to do a quick review on our assets page.

24. sstrong

sstrong

Artists view - have your say

If you have more of an artist background, rather than a programmer background, keep reading.

We have started our journey of making Landscape Builder more artist-friendly. A programmer might say, "I want to procedurally place this forest, group of objects etc. based on these parameters." LB has always supported this workflow style.

However, what if I already having a 2D vision of what my 3D landscape should look like? That is, I want a forest here and a path there and some houses here and a mountain range there and... You could do that in previous versions of LB but you needed to know what parameters to set in the various placement tabs (Topography, Texturing, Trees, Grass, Mesh / Prefabs etc.).

To complement the "parameters" workflow, we've introduced LB Stencils. This layered approach to procedural placement, let's you have more artistic control over where items are placed in the scene.

So, as an artist, when you are composing scene layouts, what is important to you? We're in the early days of the LB Stencil journey, and here is your chance to shape some of it's future features. If you have a current project or game concept, we'd love to hear your thoughts.

25. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I was previously working with Landscape Builder and really liked it but I needed to procedurally generate random landscapes with object placement. I was working with other options (including custom made ones) but is Landscape Builder capable of this? If I could go back to working with LB it would be great.

26. sstrong

sstrong

Yes, this is doable. Am I correct in thinking you want to do this at runtime? If so, we have some suggestions here. With object placement (at runtime) one of the problems will be predictability (which is what every game developer will face, regardless of the underlying editor extension). The question is, how do we help you solve this?

Our Stencil Layers are pretty fast. In the next version (1.4.1) you'll be able to use these as native filters for Mesh/Prefab placement. We already have this working in our labs. You could potentially have a whole bunch of these pre-configured. Thinking outside the box, you could theoretically generate these mathematically...

StevenPicard likes this.
  27. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Yes, I want to do this at runtime.

The stencil layers seems like the right approach at the moment. When I get a chance I'll read up on your API and play around with some code. Thanks.

28. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I saw the video on stencils. They look great.

sstrong likes this.
  29. sstrong

sstrong

And we've only just got started with Stencils. We've add a bunch of new features in the next Beta with more to come based on customer feedback.

30. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Is there documentation for your API or will I need to dig into the code? I'm hoping to start playing around with runtime procedural generation using Landscape Builder this weekend (the stencils look like they'll really help.)

31. C10110

C10110

Absolutely loving Landscape Builder so far! Being able to quickly populate terrai data from bare landscape packs and adding more to existing ones is great.

I have an odd problem where I tend to work in completely different terrain sizes, in separate projects. This makes it very easy to focus on just the area I want with the exact artwork for it, getting each town and area perfect.

With all the terrain stitching methods I never thought I'd have an issue combining all my terrains until much later I tried and found out Unity despises terrains of different sizes.

With the introduction of stencils and the easy workflow lb offers by saving terrain data as meta data for recreation later, this is what o am wanting to do:

In the same way stencils let you map out areas of a certain terrain for specific editing, would it be possible to map the meta data of one terrain onto sections of another?

Stamps are the singlehandedly most impressive and useful thing Gaia offers. However it is far more limiting than I originally imagined. A stamp in Gaia only holds hieghtmap data. No texturing or foliage placement or anything else.

If Landscape Building could call previous or already existing terrains with all the solar map info and object placement to then be placed in another landscape....it would be magical and something no other terrain tool offers or is even close to offering.

That aside it's an increadible tool. I will be leaving a glowing five star review soon when I have a computer that had a dedicated gpu in it at my disposal haha.

32. sstrong

sstrong

There is "some" runtime doco in the manual, although, we're mainly using the samples that come with LB. We've found most people seem to ignore the manual and just email us... We have 4 runtime samples (with prefabs) with a 5th on the say. Sample4 is a good starting point. We are working on a sample that also uses Stencils.
    Feel free to post any runtime questions in the forum.

StevenPicard likes this.
  33. sstrong

sstrong

You can already "import" one or more (square) terrains of equal size into a LB "landscape", then apply non-topography placement data (texturing, trees, grass, mesh/prefabs + modifiers if you need them). However, we are in the research phase of retaining existing topography and placement data WHILE adding new LB-centric placements to enhance the current terrains in a project. If you have a project in mind that would benefit from this, we can work with you to ensure it delivers the correct functionality and fits into your game dev team's workflow.

34. C10110

C10110

I think my biggest problem is my incorrect workflow of using different sized terrains. I realise I am the issue here and not LB.

I will do some more testing and tinker, but is there anyway to work with different sized terrains? If I grab the terrain data from several different terrains is it possible to splat them over a larger one? What would be your recommended workflow for how I am trying to approach this?

I will send an example via email when I have a solid test case scene. Thank you!

P.s. yeah, I admit I too tend to gloss over the manual. I think the problem stems from growing up ignoring manuals for games or software XD

35. sstrong

sstrong

Yes, a test case would be helpful. Currently we use worldspace (perlin) noise to let people get a consistent view across different LB landscapes in the same scene (typically people only need a single landscape per scene with 1 or more terrains). However, if you have adjoining terrains of different sizes, using multiple LB landscapes "may" help. Putting on my IT Consulting hat, I'd say "it depends" on your particular scenario.

LB can resize the placement meta data by exporting it as a LB Template and then importing it into another LB Landscape. But of course, you need to first have the meta data. Currently this only works if you've built the terrains using LB - which is why we are researching importing data created outside LB, and then converting into a LB-friendly format.

As I mentioned, you can add existing terrains (created outside LB) to a LB Landscape, however this doesn't include meta data, because Unity doesn't store any meta data with a terrain (only the raw data for heightmap, trees, grass, textures etc).

36. sstrong

sstrong

We've added a new sample script, and prefab, to the latest Beta (1.4.1 Beta 1g), which demonstrates how to use Stencil Layers at runtime. We've also started to add some more API calls that will reduce the number of lines of code required.

StevenPicard likes this.
  37. sstrong

sstrong

Landscape Builder 1.4.1

We are pleased to say the next version of LB has been submitted for approval. If you can't wait, Beta Program members can get early access to the builds which are available in 5.4.3p2, 5.6.0p1, and 2017.1.0f1 packages.

This release includes:

[FIXED] Save Template - ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
    [FIXED] Camera Animator - Calling BeginAnimation() sometimes fails to start animating camera
    [IMPROVED] Camera Path - add Snap To Terrain
    [NEW] Native Stencil Filters for Texturing, Trees, Grass, Mesh/Prefab placement
    [NEW] Import external layout PNG files into stencil layers from Alpha, Grayscale, or R/G/B channels
    [NEW] Sample script and prefab for applying Stencil Layers as filters at runtime

We are currently short-listing features and improvements for the next release. Post your suggestions here.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    antoripa and StevenPicard like this.
  38. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I finally got some time go to through the examples yesterday morning (my full-time programming job has been quite busy lately,) I really believe the stencils will be the Holy Grail of run-time procedural generation for me. Does your new example including showing spawning textures, trees, game objects, etc.? That would be really helpful.

sstrong likes this.
  39. sstrong

sstrong

Sample 5 includes spawning textures and trees. This week I'll update a sample to include grass and prefabs. At some point I also want to include a path runtime generation example. We can already do this from a template (see 3rd item in demo scene).

StevenPicard likes this.
  40. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

That's exciting. I really think this is going to fill my needs perfectly. When I get the generation down I'll work on implementing Microsplat (much easier to use then megasplat although that is a fantastic product.)

41. sstrong

sstrong

Recently Released Features
    Stencils - paint procedural placement 2D maps in the editor [Video Tutorial]
    Native Stencil placement filters for Topography, Texturing, Trees, Grass, Mesh/Prefab placement
    Image FX - Screen Space Ray-traced Reflection quality + performance upgrade
    Weather - Cloud Styles

Roadmap
    Runtime - Use Stencils at runtime for procedural placement [WIP]
    Runtime - simplified methods for procedural placement e.g. ApplyTrees() [WIP]
    Runtime - Updated samples with Prefabs [WIP]
    Topography - Export terrain height data to RAW files [WIP]
    Topography - Import existing terrain heightmap into Topography Layer [WIP]
    Trees - Import existing terrain trees into a LB landscape
    Grass - Import existing grass into LB landscape
    Image FX - More cloud variation
    Image FX - Motion Blur [WIP]
    Image FX - Snow [WIP]
    Support for Unity 2017.2 [WIP]
    Underwater Topography Base Layer
    Waterfalls (Shader based)
    Support for EasyRoads3D connections in Camera Animator
    Erosion Topography Layers
    Add multiple windzones at specified locations with highlighter

antoripa and StevenPicard like this.
  42. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I am really looking forward to the runtime features!

43. sstrong

sstrong

The latest beta has quite a bit of runtime-orientated content. Next we'll be turning our attention to importing terrain data created in other packages or made with the standard Unity tools.

44. sstrong

sstrong

Using your own terrains with Landscape Builder

For some time now, LB has supported adding your own terrains to a LB Landscape. But what's been missing is the ability to preserve existing heightmap data AND modify that using LB's Editor. Version 1.4 2 will support:
    • Importing terrains created outside LB into Topography Layers
    • Transferring terrains created outside LB via Templates to other scenes or projects
    • Restore Templates (with your terrain heightmap data) to landscapes with different sizes
    Note: You will need to have the same number of terrains in your destination landscape, and each terrain will need to have the same heightmap resolution as the original.

These features are in the current beta (v1.4.2 Beta 2b or newer).

45. sstrong

sstrong

We've added some new features that might help (see above). Exporting, importing, transferring, storing, and modifying heightmap data is now possible in LB. We also have a feature on the Export tab for exporting the whole landscape (1 terrain or multiple terrains) to a single heightmap image. You could potentially import that into a new landscape as an Topography Image Layer.

46. sstrong

sstrong

If you've not tried Templates, yet, here are a few basic steps to get you started (you'll find more details in the manual or by clicking "Help" on the LB Landscape tab in the editor).

Templates – Saving

To save a Template, perform the following tasks:
    1. Create a Landscape, and add Topography. Optionally, use the Texturing, Trees, Grass, and/or Mesh tabs to procedurally populate the landscape. You could also add a path or two using the Scene Path tools from the Landscape tab.
    2. On the Landscape tab, expand “Templates”
    3. Give template a unique name, and select the appropriate options (see table below). If you wish to send it to a team mate or use it in another project, also tick “Export Package” and click “Save Template”.

Templates – Loading

To apply a Template already located in this project:
    1. If you have a Template Package, import it into the project using the standard Unity tools (Asset\Import Package\Custom Package)
    2. To view the information about the Template, select the Unity “Project” pane, drill down to LandscapeBuilder\Templates and select the package. Basic information about the package will be displayed in the “Inspector”
    3. Create a new Landscape (if the original landscape was procedurally generated with LB, the new landscape can be the same size or different)
    4. In the LB Editor window, drag the Template from the Project pane into the “Template to Apply” slot.
    5. Click “Apply Template”. If the Landscape already contains configuration information like Topography Layers, Textures, Trees, Grass, Meshes etc., you will be prompted to overwrite all these settings with those from the Template.
    Coming in LB v1.4.2 is the ability to import your terrains created outside of LB, and transfer them between projects, or resize them using Templates. This feature can be seen in LB 1.4.2 Beta 3b or newer.

47. sstrong

sstrong

Importing Your Terrain Data into Landscape Builder

Some times you may have a project that could benefit from LB but you want to preserve all your hard work. Version 1.4.2 will let you do that.

Existing heightmap data can now be imported into a new Topography Layer (you can also export to RAW files).

upload_2017-10-21_14-42-18.png

Existing Textures (splatmaps), Trees and Grass you spend hours populating your terrains with can also be imported into Landscape Builder via the "Import" buttons.

upload_2017-10-21_14-45-35.png

And with imported Textures or Grass, you can even add a LB filter if you like (maybe you have a pathway or road going through your landscape and you'd like to do something different there - and you don't want to have to keep changing the ground cover every time you change the route of your path through the forest - let LB do all the hard work for you in seconds with a filter).

StevenPicard likes this.
  48. C10110

C10110

I just downloaded the latest demo patch to try out the new features. I was definitely impressed! I'm starting to really love LB and look forward to how it will evolve over time. the only real issue I had with the beta was that the trees could not seem to be imported. LB throws an error saying it can't find the terrain data for the trees, and then removes whatever may exist in the scene, while keeping it all imported in the editor window. I was able to repopulate this same scene with one of the included presets - which was very exciting!

Can't wait to see where this all goes!!

sstrong likes this.
  49. sstrong

sstrong

If you could post the error message and, if possible, basic steps to repro the issue, that would be great. Also, if you can also list the full version number from the Landscape tab, that would help too.

50. C10110

C10110

New Project in 2017.20f3

Import LandscapeBuilder_v1.4.1_Release_U560p1

Import LandscapeBuilder_v1.4.2_Beta4a_patchonly

Open Landscape Builder Window

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrp605avzxypwmt/Landscape Builder 1.4.2 Beta4a Editor Tab.png?dl=0

Import Big Environment Pack

Open Demo Scene

Create Empty Game-object at 0, 0, 0 and add LB Landscape script

Parent Terrain and Fix/Import into LB - Successfully import Unity Terrain Layer

Texturing Tab - All textures show up with “Imported” mode applied,
    clicking “import” gives “ERROR: LBTerrainData.ImportGrass - no imported terrain texture types provided.”

https://www.dropbox.com/s/127dhta79ouv6ex/LB Grass Data Not found.png?dl=0

Ironically despite error, clicking "Texture Landscape" tab seems to retexture the scene as it was imported (or at least does not remove any textures)

Same steps for trees, all vegetation shows up in imported mode, clicking "import" reveals another error like above but for trees: ERROR: LBTerrainData.ImportTrees - no imported terrain tree types provided.

Clicking Populate Landscape gets rid of all vegitation and gives an error like before: ERROR: LBLandscapeTerrain.PopulateWithTrees - could not find LBTerrainData for Beach
    HOWEVER undo does work, and restores everything just fine.

Grass is exactly the same as Texture scenario just with corresponding error: ERROR: LBTerrainData.ImportGrass - no imported terrain grass types provided.

As mentioned above it seems, more or less, all to be working, except for trees. Still is very cool to play around with and I'm going to freak when it's all there.

EDIT: Wow I can not get pictures to embed, I am sorry guys, I know I'm doing something wrong but don't know what it is XD