Search Unity

34 inch Ultrawide or dual 27 inch monitors?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scynoth, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Scynoth

Scynoth

I have a standalone 24 inch monitor at the moment and will be upgrading soon. Been looking at either a 34 inch ultrawide or dual normal 27 inchers. Anyone have experience with using Unity and other software with an Ultrawide? Does it scale well? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

2. Moonjump

Moonjump

I find width is not that important, I need more height for code editing and for the Unity windows that list information, such as the Inspector, so I would not consider an ultrawide.

If you go dual 27", a rotatable stand is useful. That way you can put a monitor in portrait orientation for coding. You could even do that to your 24" monitor and pair it with a larger monitor.

3. mountblanc

mountblanc

If you want to rotate the monitor in portrait mode be careful because some monitors have a limited view angle when viewing rotated. (the horizontal view angle and vertical of course get switched and the vertical view angle can be very limited for some models.

4. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

one screen is just not enough for me
    if it works for you, okay, but usually i work in more than one program at the same time, so two screens are better

Amon and angrypenguin like this.
  5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

6. Scynoth

Scynoth

At first I was set on Duels until I started looking at the 34 inch Ultrawides and how you can just split screen them. I didn't know how nice Unity would play with that. After more research I'm starting to lean towards dual https://www.amazon.com/Designo-MX27...12597622&sr=8-10&keywords=27+inch+ips+monitor

I was looking at this for an ultrawide but also unsure of the low resolution for such a large monitor https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM69G-B-34-Inch-UltraWide-Reduction/dp/B06XFXX5JH/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512597688&sr=1-3&keywords=34+inch+ultrawide+monitor

7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Dual screens.

8. chingwa

chingwa

3 is better than two. :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. grimunk

grimunk

I use an ultra-wide. Two co-workers use dual 32" 2560x1440 displays, which they prefer to the single. I used to use dual 30" 2560x1600 displays, which I really miss.

10. Scynoth

Scynoth

Everything you've said was the reason I was thinking about getting a ultrawide. The borderless concept if I werw to split the screens on it. Plus I already have a 24 inch that could be used as a second monitor.

I actually had your model saved on my amazon list along with the one I put on this thread lol. I have read some peoples comments about the IPS lightbleed but I don't think it will be an issue. Even the other monitors I looked at that I wanted are IPS also. Have you done any gaming on it as well? Just wondering.

11. mountblanc

mountblanc

I personally work with 3 screens. Left side visual studio, middle side the Unity management windows and right side the game and scene tab. Of course switching around with different setups in Unity by changing the layout combobox depending on the task at hand.

Attached Files:

• 3sum.JPG
      3sum.JPG
      File size:
      354.6 KB
      Views:
    Amon, Scynoth and Akshara like this.
  12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I do the 3 screen setup as well. I have 2 27 inch (4K/5k) and my laptop screen. The 4K is for unity the 5k is for graphics apps and the laptop screen is for communication (slack/mail/etc). Multiple monitors is the only way to fly. ;)

angrypenguin likes this.
  13. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

I would go duel 27inch, but only if you can get 1440p or better. No point having a huge screen and not getting anymore pixels for it.

angrypenguin likes this.
  14. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

I've been using two screens for a long time and like the setup a lot. Two screens makes managing different apps way easier than arranging them on one big screen.

15. FMark92

FMark92

If I could connect 5 monitors to my GPU, I would. My vote is go for number. Nothing beats multiple concurrently visible desktops IMO.

Fera_KM likes this.
  16. grimunk

grimunk

BTW if you use a 34" ultrawide I recommend getting a curved one. I use both the LG flat 34" and the dell curved 34" and I definitely prefer the curved one.

17. Scynoth

Scynoth

I was looking at curved in the beginning but was reading reports of people getting nauseous when spending a lot of time reading or coding. Also people said when working in some audio and video software stuff would look skewed.

18. grimunk

grimunk

The curve actually seems to eliminate some of the skewing for me, and I haven't had any nausea.

19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It's a lot nicer now than it used to be.

Still, I'm also a two screen person myself. Being able to full screen stuff while still having other things visible is neat. Full screen build + profiler. Game + scene views. Stuff like that.

Recently I've actually been strongly considering a third monitor because some of my work now requires switching between different inputs on one of the monitors. I can only be looking in one place at a time, so aside from use cases like the above it's task switching time where you get the real boost.

20. Grafos

Grafos

Single Ultrawide with a slight curve here and loving it to death!

21. grimunk

grimunk

More monitors is always better for work IMO - or rather, more screen real-estate.