Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Save $600 offer !✅]Infinigrass-GPU Optimized Interactive Grass-Trees-Meshes,work on mobile,HDRP-URP

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Sep 1, 2015.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS v2.0 & Sky Master ULTIMATE v4.0

The BIG -50% SALE for InfiniGRASS has started !!!
    Sky Master ULTIMATE is also on -50% sale !!
    Enjoy :)

2. Craptastic

Craptastic

Is this compatible with mesh based, runtime terrain generation such as is found in voxeland? Or does it only work with heightmap solutions?

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

The grass can be painted on any mesh that has a collider and in any orientation as well. The issue is that is expensive to plant and make grass for a map during run time due to the batching required. It can be done little by little, but still would need resources. If loading a map time is used, then could grow along the terrain, would take some programming to spread it though (by using my mass plant code in run time or my single brush plant code and apply it as needed)

In v2.0 both planting whole terrains and making the grass is enabled in run time, due to the new pooling method that does not require any extra allocations and is instant to create the grass (it just grabs it from the pool). I am working on Map Magic support, though the same principles should apply to any terrain as needed. The system already supports planting in mesh terrains too (or combination of meshes and Unity terrain, e.g. can plant directly on rocks and can change shape if rocks are destroyed etc)

ftejada likes this.
  4. Craptastic

Craptastic

Okay cool, thanks for the quick reply!

5. mattis89

mattis89

Helloo! This asset is chillin in my basket.. how long will the sale be? Waiting for my paycheck :D ... how far in the future is the copy foliage from terrain function (gaia & gena intergration) its really important.. I dont remember what you said before but if its faar away the intergration, can I somehow mask so I dont paint on my road for example?

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

The current system can plant based on splat map, so if you define not to plant on road splat will do so. Also you can have a sub brush to define detail on road edges based on weight of splat maps there.

The conversion from any Unity terrain grass-tree to InfiniGRASS is coming in v2.0 and is done already, but need more testing, polishing and the finalization of the GUI and user interface, which is the main work i do now.

The issue with the GUI is that there is many interpretations on what is best practice and thus takes me a lot more time than i anticipated to finish this aspect, but i will keep at it as it is the most important aspect for the future of the system, because i dont want to risk any negative reviews with v2.0, so i will be polishing until i feel the end user will have the smoothest experience possible. Of course when i feel i am close i will output a first Beta for everyone to start using the system the soonest.

I have already added a lot more in the next version of v1.x, like grouping of variables, basic variables separation, GPU instancing support for Unity 5.6+ etc that will also come in v2.0, so the GUI aspect is done on various levels currently as well and some of the additions will come soon and some in v2.0.

ftejada and mattis89 like this.
  7. mitaywalle

mitaywalle

Thank you, would be waiting for news

nasos_333 likes this.
  8. nasos_333

nasos_333

I will post here when the beta is ready for release

mattis89 likes this.
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

10. levi777l

levi777l

Bought Infini grass on sale, finally got around to trying it. Instantly bought sky master and now waiting impatiently for v2.0.

nasos_333 likes this.
  11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Both new systems in making will be like new assets. The number of new features will be very big and take them to next level in every way.

I hope I can deliver both the soonest. Core work is already done for both and need polishing.

recon0303 likes this.
  12. recon0303

recon0303

Let us know soon as possible. it would be wise, to have a news letter or email list...so we know....hard to baby sit a thread all the time. More and more people are emailing people with big news. I think you would get better results. If you considered this. Also people like me are hard at work as well, making games , so we are always looking for great tools like this... but would hate to miss any news...happens all the time as well. and developers miss out....and end up only having people help that do not make games... .rather samples.. So to get true beta tested product, its wise, reach out to people in the middle of development as well....so the tool can be truly tested.......sadly this is a common trend on Unity store, assets only tested with samples not real games..

Now I know I have used all of your tools personally with our games, and have had great success.... and I find that InfiniGrass, 2 visually looks better than all of them.... Now if you get the UX.UI under control with the new one and looks like you are.. Thats half the battle, so looking forward to seeing the new design.

nasos_333 likes this.
  13. Nijiem_Arhi

Nijiem_Arhi

Hey @nasos_333

infiniGrass looks solid!

I'm making a VR game and was looking into this plugin as a solution for grass. I saw you offered to send a test version of infiniGrass to another user to see if it would work for their project and was wondering if I would be able to get a test version, as well.

Thanks!

nasos_333 likes this.
  14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Sure, i can arrange to send a test version this weekend.

Nijiem_Arhi likes this.
  15. nasos_333

nasos_333

An email list would be nice, but i am not sure how to make one tbh.

recon0303 likes this.
  16. Nijiem_Arhi

Nijiem_Arhi

Thanks so much! Let me know how you would like to arrange this.

17. mattis89

mattis89

Hello!

I get 3 errors when importing:

Shade rerror in 'infinigrass/vertex grass spec': invalid subscript posworld at line 476 (on d3d11)
    the other is the same but ends with line 454 and no spec..
    And last is the same but "spec unitygrass.. and line 549

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Do you get an issue with the demos ? E.g. pink materials ? Otherwise it might be a platform related thing, what Unity version is used ?

EDIT: I just imported the store download in Unity 2017.2 and do not get the error. Is there any other step done before seeing the errors appear ? E.g. build for a game.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  19. nasos_333

nasos_333

20. recon0303

recon0303

Send me an email, I would be happy to help. I been a web developer.. for over 20 years. UX/UI Designer. If you want tone. Let me know. You would need hosting, which is cheap.. web page, could use, word press.. etc.

You could also set an easy one up with Gmail. and mass email a group of people with out, a web page.

nasos_333 likes this.
  21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, i will check all options and get back on this. The issue is always time to do the organizing, which unfortunately is so little that some times even the easiest things can escape my attention.

recon0303 likes this.
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

I will check it out and if is not restrictive (e.g. DX11 only) i could implement it, i already have a much more detailed wind mode in v2.0 with the vertex grass so i will see if i could just combine the two as well.

ftejada likes this.
  24. Nijiem_Arhi

Nijiem_Arhi

Hey @nasos_333

Decided to just buy infiniGrass and try it myself since it was $30, a great deal!

Performance in VR seems pretty good, no rendering issues so far! However, while testing some light baking I ran into some hitches. Below is an image of a few lighting scenarios I set up, and the results.

Is there something I'm missing with light baking - a setting? Or is infiniGrass not set up to handle lightmapping?

Thanks!

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

InfiniGRASS is fully dynamic so is not for lightmapped situation i suppose. You can though export the grass with my export tool and then handle it as an object with your shaders and lightmapping, but would loose the wind.

I will see if i can integrate light mapping in next version though and keep the wind. Since v2.0 also uses pooling to do much greater performance and less allocations i suppose would also not be the ideal case for lightmapping, but the same logic of static lightmapped grass can still be used in v2.0, so i will check whether i can offer an extra lightmap option too.

26. TeemuMV

TeemuMV

Is there any chance the asset could be cleaned at some point? The project folder and the manager UX could use some serious streamlining.
    • The manager does its job, but it could be so much better.
      • I would love to see some of the features split into different components, tabs, or dropdown categories (see for example Enviro's manager) so you could hide the things you don't currently need.
      • Add tooltips. Most of the functionality is not obvious at all and constantly having to check on the guide PDF gets old really fast.
      • Move the important stuff on the top. The most commonly used buttons (painting) are at the very bottom. Your average user isn't going to care about tweaking some random parameters before getting to the meat of the asset.
      • Hide parameters if the prerequisite checkbox is not checked (e.g. 'Toggle Grass Tint.') There's no need to waste space on that stuff until it becomes actually relevant.
      • The plant brushes don't use the layout boxes, and are instead split by "--------" headers that don't do a great job at separating the different categories at all.
    • Import is littered with completely unused and backup assets (and sometimes backups of backups), bloating the import size and time, and hurting project management.
    • Version-specific folders are a pain for the end-user because it shrapnels all the assets in half a dozen different places.
    • No naming conventions or spellcheck used whatsoever, comes across as very thrown-together and unprofessional.
      • GRASS_A SHADER 21 ANIME 2 LONG 3a 1.mat
      • GRASS BLADE DETAILED InfiniGRASSblendLONG OTHERblend.fbx
      • "Relistic","Yelloish", "foliege", ...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    hippocoder likes this.
  27. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

I have addressed the #1 in the latest version and i can send a download link for using a tabs based categorization (like shown in the pic above).

I can do some extra folder grouping too, would you prefer all brushes in a single folder for example ?

Not sure on the backup assets though, i dont remember having backups included, can you give a sample so i can have a look at that too ?

28. TeemuMV

TeemuMV

That's great to hear about the manager. That categorization looks to help *a lot*. I'd love to give it a spin if you have a test version.

As for folder grouping, that sounds good. Just think about the situation from a new user's experience (having to pore over a bunch of folders to find where everything is instead of just going to the /brushes/ folder for example.)

Just by going through the assets should reveal a bunch of the assets I was talking about, some examples listed below (I'm no expert in the asset so they may have a use somewhere, but to my eye they look unused or "backup-y".)

FENCE PART = FENCE TYPE 2 MID PART
    (almost identical, with small Translation differences)

FENCE PART 1 = FENCE TYPE 2
    (almost identical, with small Translation differences)

FlowerRedPoppy OTHER
    (has an error shader on it)

Low poly foliege VINES.fbm
    (empty folder)

\InfiniGRASS\Prefabs\Resources\CurvedVertex\Materials -> No Name.mat
    (looks to be a default material, or could at least use a name)

GRASS BLADE DETAILED InfiniGRASSblend = GRASS BLADE MINE7a
    (different import settings but otherwise look identical)

ForestCreatorINfiniDyG2 Low Grass 1BACKUP
    (looks almost identical to the one without "1BACKUP")

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  29. nasos_333

nasos_333

The assets are indeed used in other brushes that differ, i will try to also do some renaming so is easier to identify.

For example the fence mid part is used in the fence creation as a means to create the fence, so requires a different orientation etc

I am not sure how these renamings will impact existing users though, so will do some testing first and deliver a version with most updates i can without breaking stuff for existing setups.

30. TeemuMV

TeemuMV

Yeah I know, handling legacy stuff is always a pain, but glad to hear it's on your list nevertheless.

The asset itself is of course brilliant, and now all my UX concerns were addressed in the span of a couple hours. Great response time and support!

recon0303 likes this.
  31. recon0303

recon0303

ya we talk to him about this, the tool is great but being a UX/UI Designer myself, it could use a good once over.. He planned to with the new version..

Sadly most tools have a bad UX.UI.. with assets.. Most of these guys aren't designers for UX, and takes time to really make a good one, not giving them excuses...So I end up cleaning them up myself due to this.

nasos_333 likes this.
  32. recon0303

recon0303

Ya Nasos support is top notch, I use all of his tools and he is always on top of that ... He is one of the best for support.

nasos_333 likes this.
  33. nasos_333

nasos_333

I plan to release the new GUI for Grass Manager before v2.0 so this is already done and i am testing now and should be up for download next week. Also this new version will have GPU instancing and a few more adjustments like a height threshold in local interaction that solves a few issues in lower scaled grass.

ftejada likes this.
  34. mattis89

mattis89

Nope the demos look good, nothing weird there :) im using 5.6.f1.. nope, I just imported some other assets ( gaia, aquas, enviro, tps opsive) ..

recon0303 likes this.
  35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Ok, probably are the older Unity 4 version of shaders that are not used, i will check it out and get back. I dont get the same warning though when i import. Perhaps is due to the platform or Unity version, i will check that too.

36. mattis89

mattis89

I think Im gonna update to the latest 5.6

37. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! Why does it appear boxes when i paint? they are big.. what do they do?... when I walk with my (otpc player) in the grass he alsmost stops when I come to them...

EDIT: Okay I see, they are some gizmos and colliders, are they for touch bending? (cant be I imagine, isnt it shader based? .. I turned them off, does it matther? I only want high performance grass with touch B :D

EDIT 2: ahaaaa they are for the paint tool so it works right? Have nothing to do with the interactivity?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  38. nasos_333

nasos_333

There is a collider and a gizmo box created when painting, you can remove gizmos with a global checkbox in the grass manager and also scale colliders as needed or disable them.

Use the "Toggle Gizmos" button to make Gizmo boxes appear - dissapear and "Turn on/off Editor Colliders" button for the colliders enable - disable. And the Collider and Gizmo scale variables in the brush settings to scale the boxes.

mattis89 likes this.
  39. mattis89

mattis89

I cant get the touch bending to work at all with my player... It dosent happen anything.. or it just a mess.. grass disappearing and all over my screen.. where to do it and how ? =)

EDIT: the touch bending reacts to my camera and not hero. Im using Opsives third person controller.. How to fix? :)

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Do you use the scripted interaction or the shader based one ?

The main variable to adjust is the "Stop motion distance" that dictates the radius of interaction.

You have to regulate this based on world scale, so use much lower value when using lower world scales.

Also make sure to add a windzone and regulate the wind and turbulence lower as well, which also may impact the grass behavior in lower scales.

Is my main demo interaction working ok with the player ?

41. mattis89

mattis89

Yes. I got it to work.. but it reacts with the camera and not the player.. ? Using opsive third person controller.

Edit: is the scripted equal good as the shader based? How do I set it up?

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

If you dont use the Tag based option, will react to the main camera. With tag will react to the "player" tagged item.

The scripted will open the batch and you can react with each blade separately and even move it any way possible. This is the most powerful option, e.g. you can cut trees with this etc and create any scenario with some extra programming. The downside is that opens up the batch locally so creates more draw calls. This though is not problem in Unity 5.6+ since i use GPU instancing to handle the extra draw calls.

I have the new Unity 5.6+ version in Google Drive for direct download as well.

43. mattis89

mattis89

I see. I tried the tag based but didnt see any grass moving at that time because I had the wrong world scale and stop disatance.. But I understand now, thank you.

Do I have to enable GPU instancing in Unity settings?

Where is the scripted based interactive grass options and how do I enable it?

About the mass plant... splat = "texture"?
    The number indicates in what order the textures are placed in the terrain paint tool?

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

The GPU instancing is only in the latest version which is not on the store yet. I can give a link to Google Drive for it. The GPU instancing is enabled on the materials (there is a relevant checkbox).

The splat is the texture on the Unity terrain, e.g. the first texture is splat 0 etc. If for example you place 1,0,0,-1 in a Unity terrain that has 4 splat maps, you will get grass of type 1 in the first splat texture, type 0 in the 2-3rd and no grass in the 4rth (the -1 means no grass is placed).

The scripted interaction is enabled before painting the grass, using the brush settings interactive grass option ("Make grass interactive"). For already placed grass you can also enable it for all grass pressing the relevant button ("Apply interactive to all" and "Set interactive"). If not want to apply to all will apply to the currently selected brush only.

There is a demo with scripted interactive grass too to check out how it works ("DEMO v1.7 SCRIPTED INTERACTIVE GRASS DEMO")

45. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @nasos_333 !

I would be interested if you would pass me this new version to go testing it, before the arrival of InfiniGrass 2
    Could you send it to me?

I leave you invoice by private message.

Another questions
    This new version already includes the prefabricated of the herbs and trees with Lod's?
    Or do we have to create them?

Besides, I'm very interested in the topic you said about cutting trees (or grass) in my game ...
    Could you do a video on how to get that? Will the process to obtain it be explained in detail in the manual?

Does this feature of cutting trees come already in this new version that you have in GoogleDrive or is it only for infiniGras 2?

regards

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

The tree chop full system is implemented for InfiniTREE only ATM, here is the demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-QCdE1dswQBUWlGWjhQNDFsRmc

I dont yet plan for infiniGRASS, as the grass system supports the grass bending for the grass specific functionality.

Though they use the same base system, so it is possible to port the tree chop to the grass system. I will consider this for the v2.x cycle.

About LODs, some of the prefabs have LODs, the heavier ones like mushrooms for example. The lower poly ones generally dont and you may implement them. For v2.0 i will try to add LODs for all brushes and also make use of the new batched billboards system.

47. mattis89

mattis89

Nice :) is the latest verison stable to use in a game? ..

Can I mass plant grass meshes too and not via unity tereain?
    I dont like unitys grass and billboard system...

Okay thank yoou :)

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Yes, the latest v1.7.8 version is stable. The current WIP version is v2.0 and forward.

You can use mass planting on meshes (adding PPaint tag to them and enable paint on meshes option). The only difference is that you will plant one type per application, as you wont have splat maps to differentiate types with.

49. mattis89

mattis89

Oh I ment mesh based grass, and not textured .. Since I like mesh grass more because it looks better.. so can I mass plant that to the same way?

Can you send me the link via pm?

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

You can use any mesh for the brushes, including SpeedTree meshes or any other mesh. Some of the brush like mushrooms, trees etc use different meshes too, the main base grass is using quads (which is also used as another mesh and can be arranged as needed)

I can send the latest version in PM, just send me the invoice in PM and will reply to the PM with the link.