Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

32bit build versus 64bit build

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by unitynoob24, Sep 24, 2015.

1. unitynoob24

unitynoob24

Hey guys!

So I have been working with a 32 bit build, because the game I am working on is not very taxing and I would like to only have one executable to rely on instead of two. My idea was, okay 32 bit builds will run on both 64 bit and 32 bit machines, but an x86 build will only run on 32 bit machines.

Everything seems fine and good, except for some odd reason, when I make an x86 build and I run it on my 64bit machine, it runs fine, but in the start up, I only get a handful of incorrect resolutions to choose from.

The game still seems to run just fine, it is just annoying, I should be able to select the correct resolution.

The only thing I could think of was I run 3 identical monitors in eyefinity. I disabled my eyefinity group and tried to run the 32 bit build, while duplicating my display on all three screens. This gave me more resolution options but still not my default resolution of 1920x1080. So I restarted my computer and still nothing.

After inspecting my computers screen resolution it is in fact 1920x1080, so I am not sure what is happening here.

I did a fresh x86/x64 build and this gives me all of the resolutions, but the x86 build still will not give me my default resolution.

Any suggestions or input would be very much appreciated! I really would like to be working in just x86 for the sake of simplicity; if that is not a good practice please tell me! I am open to your thoughts!

Thanks again guys!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Please report a bug :)

karl_jones likes this.
  3. orb

orb

The resolution list coming up wrong I think is something for a bug report. Even with fancy multi-monitor gear you should be getting a proper list of choices.

As for 32- vs. 64-bit, I think you should always provide both. A 64-bit system has to activate legacy libraries, and a 64-bit build has access to different types of optimised code. Memory availability is a very minor part of what makes 64-bit code good. Plus the whole 32-bit dying (slowly, but surely) even on mobile devices thing ;)

While you're developing it you can just stick to 32-bit though. When you need testers, start building more.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's windows keeping 32 bit alive at this point :p

5. orb

orb

Yeah, catering to damn cheapskates by…giving away the OS?!

6. unitynoob24

unitynoob24

Okay!

So when I create new builds, I have just been building over old .exe's I made a new folder and did a brand new x86 build and it appears to be working perfectly. I have a ton of screen resolutions to choose from now, in x86 and my default resolution is now there.

As far as deploying an x86 and an x86/x64 build, do you think I really should be doing this? My game is coming to Steam probably next week, and I have never done a Steam release before, but my thought was, if the game is not very taxing and it runs perfect with an x86 build on my 64 bit machine then I should be good to go? Wishful thinking I suppose.. lol

7. orb

orb

If it's a smallish game, not obscenely demanding like a buggy Actiblizzard shooter, I think you can live with 32-bit for now :)

(But an OS X version needs 64-bit!)

8. unitynoob24

unitynoob24

Okay thank you very much!

Will a Universal Mac build be what I am looking for?

9. orb

orb

If you're looking to support old systems, yes.

10. unitynoob24

unitynoob24

Okay excellent! Yea I thought Mac went to 64 bit only recently.. but I could be wrong. I myself am a PC person. But I have a few apps on the app store and I think relatively recently they only accept 64 bit applications now.

11. orb

orb

Yep, all new Macs are 64-bit only. There are still 32-bit systems in use (Core Duo), but 95% of Mac users are estimated to be on a 64-bit system (88% of those on the most recent two). You can basically release 64-bit only there and never hear a complaint.

12. unitynoob24

unitynoob24

Sweet!

Now if only Windows was nice and easy like that.. lol

13. orb

orb

Yeah, even the dirt-cheap laptops that shouldn't be allowed to exist (AMD E1-1200 and such - CPUs slower than my phone) are usually 64-bit. They're just very often coupled with a motherboard that can't be expanded to enough RAM to actually run a 64-bit Windows, which holds back adoption of modern systems. The latest mid-range (MID-RANGE!!) phones are now shipping with more RAM than the low-end laptops foisted upon people who don't know better.