Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

30fps max with HDRP?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Kaldrax, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

I've been playing a bit with HDRP on my MacBook and it looks awesome

But even a build of the demo scene with all post-processing disabled on lowest settings gets 30fps max with nothing being rendered on screen.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this an issue? Thanks.

2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

you probably have V-Sync on, you will have to disable that for it to give you the maximum frames it can render on your machine.

Edit > Project Settings > Quality

upload_2018-8-17_16-53-42.png

3. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

I tried it but it didn't help any

4. Scott-Michaud

Scott-Michaud

I'm guessing that's not intended performance. I'm getting ~350 FPS on samplescene with maximum (Ultra) quality settings (albeit with a desktop PC and dedicated graphics). Unless your MacBook is very low-end (or old) then there's probably something that could be done.

5. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

It's a 2015 MacBook Pro. 3.1ghz intel i7 core. 16GB ram. Intel Iris 6100 GPU.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah that would be hitting the limits of HDRP. Likely you still have vsync on somewhere, and / or the resolution is too high, so you are capped by available bandwidth.

That it even runs at 30fps with the features it has, is very good for that hardware. Does it get faster if you lower the resolution?

7. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

I tried playing with the resolution and it seemed like lowering it make a small improvement. Then this happened XD

Attached Files:

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Oh dear. I can only assume it's bugged with metal at the moment.

9. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Wait which version of HDRP are you using?

10. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

I was using 1.1.2. I tried updating to 3.0.0 but the results are the same.
    I was talking with a guy who told me that these Intel mac graphics cards are S*** when it comes to deferred rendering, so I loaded up the LWRP and got a smooth 130fps with the assets on screen :O
    Guess I'm switching back to PC next buy :p

11. elbows

elbows

eGPU's are what Apple is promoting these days for getting reasonable 3D game etc performance on macs. Ideally you would have a Mac with Thunderbolt 3 to do that but I think people have been able to hack it to work on Thunderbolt 2 as well.

Given the cost of the eGPU enclosure, the performance hit with using the GPU externally, and further performance issues relating to drivers etc with the same graphics hardware on OS X compared to Windows, this stuff is not as good value as just doing it with a Windows machine, but at least the option is there. Personally I'm going to stick with Windows when I need the best/fastest graphics, but I still like to use a mac for general computing so I will built a new PC soon and will also wait and see what the updated mac mini is like and so may yet get a chance to dabble with eGPU on OS X one day (I will probably re-use previous GPU from my PC setup when I update the one in my windows box).

12. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

Cool. I might have to look into this.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

HDRP is a work in progress, LWRP is close to stable.