Search Unity

30 vs 60 fps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xenoun, Sep 25, 2015.

1. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Adaptive refresh (like GSync) is fantastic technology, but even with GSync I would still not want to settle for 45 fps. Honestly, for some genre of games (first person shooters, racing games, etc), 60 fps should be the minimum frame rate on entry level hardware. On a solid gaming rig, we should aim for 120 fps.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I was assuming there would be an adaptive sync technology so it would be "smooth" (45fps smooth). And I'm bringing it up as an alternative to 30fps.

For the record, for the games I make, I target 60fps+.

3. jpthek9

jpthek9

Ah, true. Same concept applies to higher authoritative server network tick rates.

Also depends on what's happening. Running through the streets is very different from watching a unit from top-down running through the streets and for the former, much higher rate of information is necessary.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

AcidArrow likes this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But 130 tick server would be only sending packets 20 times a second with snapshots 33 times a second. AFAIK none of them sent packets more than 30 times a second.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

6. jpthek9

jpthek9

That's what I thought too but apparently there's a new generation of server network ticks coming along: http://mp1st.com/2015/05/13/dice-la...d-4-cte-aka-really-good-netcode/#.Vgf6m7RD2kg. I think that players won't have to send more than 30tas for a long time though.

7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks guys for optimising Unity, keep it up :D more speed the merrier.

Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  9. jpthek9

jpthek9

I think it'll be an option like low/medium/high graphics. It might be possible for people to receive state syncs at different rates.

10. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Oh. I thought there was mention of server tick rates. Do those affect how much data the game uses? I live in America now, but if I flee Trumpland in 2016 I may end up somewhere with tiered internet.

I hate DRM because... well, how can companies even get away with that since some countries have tiered internet? Are the overages just less insane than the few tiered systems we have in the USA? (like $10/gb on phones)