Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.0%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.1%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.5%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.6%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.4%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.2%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Yeah, same here. Really cool E3, with some amazing games (I am going to start to save money for a new pc from right now xd), specially waiting for cyberpunk, death stranding and control (those mechanics always amaze me).

I specially liked the PC show, lot of cool indies (sable.....oh god). And of course, a little dissapointed with nintendo and his smash direct (I like smash, but too much time used on it).

And of course, really interesting gameplay and mechanics (which some of them could be studied to be added to the asset in a future, haha).

That is just a matter to adjust arms model position and sway settings in the weapon. I will check that to adjust these values better (and of course, you can set them by your self).

Also, I am about to finish the weapon attachment system and it looks really cool and it is really flexible and easy to configure for any weapon and kind of attachment. Once it is complete I will show a video with it and the top down view.

Once the attachment is finished, I will be back to the documentation, to add more content.

Regards.

danreid70, JMyerscough and Wetw0rx like this.
  2. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

Can't wait to see the first person view!

sr388, neodotca and danreid70 like this.
  3. RendCycle

RendCycle

Can this be used for a game that has a Boat vehicle as the main player? Also, would this work for swimming/flying creatures as NPCs/Enemies? I will use Community Ocean Shader for the water. Lastly, can this be integrated with a Weather System such as Enviro?

4. sr388

sr388

Almost ready, I am just improving it, adding some more attachments and checking everything works properly. I will make the video today. Currently, only the assault rifle has attachments, to use it as example to make the system, but I will add attachments for most weapons.

Also, any suggestion to add useful (or cool) attachments (along with regular one) are welcome. For now, it includes a silencer, flashlight, laser, a couple of sights, extended magazine, and a fire selector with full auto, manual or burst.

All of this changes ingame stats in the weapon and other attachments will change other like weapon damage, spread amount, explosive projectiles, make projectiles to pierce objects, ....basically most of the configuration available for the weapon will be able to be changed with these attachments.

Hi @RendCycle.

Thanks for your interest in the asset.

Yes, if you already have the controller code for the boat, this can be added to the vehicle system, and with the option to start the game inside a vehicle, this can be used to make the main player of the game is the boat itself.

This can be done with any new vehicle control code, so you can make anything to be the game character, even a lamp from pixar if you want.

Also, I want to add boats as vehicles in the asset, having buoyancy and physics.

About NPCs, do you mean if the asset has flying and swimming AI or if these NPCs will detect the boat as another character to interact?

In the first case, not yet, but I want to add that type of AI too (and add animals behavior too, starting with a wolf partner for player, other npcs and as a character itself too)

In the second case, that would depend if you have that AI or not, but the tag and layers can be used for this for example.

The current AI in the asset is able to detect characters on vehicles and attack them according to the faction system configuration, which allows to configure relations between npc groups and the player too.

And about Weather systems, sure, there shouldn't be problems with that kind of system.

This would be used to interact with vehicles (like your boat) or to interact with player, his stats and the rest of vehicles, characters and different elements?

In a future update I would like to make a weather system which would interact with all the level, similar to breath of the willd, including interaction with current player weapons and cloth/armor (this cloth/armor system will be started soon).

Tell me if this solves your doubts or not and feel free to ask any further thing.

Regards.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    neodotca likes this.
  5. RendCycle

RendCycle

The Community Ocean Shader uses dynamic water and is not flat, it also has wind (affects boat) & mists, so it comes bundled with a Buoyancy and Boat Controller script. I also made a Player View Controller that added mouse look and integrated them in my Boat. Thus I'm wondering, if GKC does not have a Buoyancy script yet, would it be possible to use those custom scripts that I have instead?

For NPCs, I mean both. I still don't have an effective system that will manage the movement of these. My game will be mostly set in the ocean and sometimes the player can also explore some underwater locations. There will be a lot of sea creatures and some flying/sailing vehicles. I guess I will still need a separate AI System for this then.

I think your Faction system, Inventory system and Compass will be useful to some parts of my project as I also plan to add these. Regarding the Weather System, I intend to use it to control behaviors of the NPCs actually and affect the environment especially the ocean.

Thanks for your time and for providing me info!

sr388 likes this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick update progress.

Finally, the attachment system for weapons is done. I wanted to show it before, but there was some elements that I wanted to improve to give a better feeling. For this, I have mixed the crysis and deus ex mankind divided systems in one (I didn't know that deus ex has attachments for weapons too, I want to play it).

The system allows to configure any kind of attachment, using unity events, having a system very easy to configure. The steps to configure every attachment is the next: every weapon has an attachment system. Inside of it, a list of attachment zones is created (like the sights zone) and then you place the list of attachments in that zone, like a telescopic sight, or holographic, or red dot, etc....

Then, you configure the unity events for every attachment, which usually is to configure values in the weapon, like the fire rate, or if activate the using sight state in the weapon to change the position to aim in first person.

Finally, configure the positions where the attachment zones UI elements are shown while the player edit a weapon. The UI elements are really easy to configure too, setting where the attachment list of a zone is placed and where the dot which shows that attachment zone.

Also, there are positions to configure where the weapon is placed in front of the camera. If the player is in third person and the attachment editor is enabled, the camera is placed in first person while this editor is opened, setting the camera in third person again once is closed (if the player was in first person, the camera doesn't change).

The atttachment can also be changed using the key numbers, in every attachment zone a number shows which key is used to configure the next accessory.

Btw, the UI elements shown are dynamically created for every weapon, you don't need to create none of these elements for everyone, just a prefab of one of the attachment zones, and the rest is created by code. This allows to customize the UI for the attachment editor very easily. This is the only content used for the UI:

upload_2018-6-17_4-55-28.png

In fact, all these attachments shown can be added to any weapon in less than 2 minutes.

I will make another video adding these attachments from the beginning to a weapon to show how quick and easy is.

In the meantime, here some gifs (in the gifs it seems the weapon movement is too quick, but this is due to gif quality, the movement is done smoothly):

attachments4.gif

attachments7.gif

attachments8.gif

And a video:

I have already planned to improve this system, with more attachments, pickups for attachments which enabled the current one shown in weapons (before that, those disabled attachment wouldn't appear in the edit weapon menu), a floating text in every attachment to say what it does (it would be only if the mouse is hovering the attacment button) and more.

Hope you like it and like always, feedback/suggestions are always appreciate.

No, GKC hasn't sea vehicles yet, but they will be added, including buoyancy.

And yes, if you already have the script to control the boat, you can add it to the vehicle system in this asset, though some code knowlegde are necessary for that (and of course, I can help in any stuff needed). Also, the vehicle system already has a camera system too, vehicle complete, allowing to configure any number of camera positions and states, including zoom, smooth camera rotation, collision detection, etc...

About the AI, you are right, right now the AI in GKC uses navmesh to work, and the AI you need will move in the air, so it will need some type of obstacle avoidance too (another element that I want to work and add to the asset).

Happy to know you find this asset useful for your project (which reminds me to the game shown in EA conference called sea of solitude, I advice you to check it out, it could give ideas for your project).

And thanks to you for your interest in the asset.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, Mark_01, tgamorris76 and 4 others like this.
  7. RendCycle

RendCycle

Whoa, Sea of Solitude looks amazing! Thanks for letting me know about that game! One of the difficult parts in creating new games is thinking of fresh ideas and with so many games being released, before finishing a game something similar would've come out already. hahaha I guess one part of the work would be to keep aware of other existing games and so be able to try to keep your game somehow still different while improving on the mechanics of existing ones. Anyhow, thanks for the tips and info! :)

ron-bohn, sr388 and Wetw0rx like this.
  8. neodotca

neodotca

I like the weapon attachment system, curious to try it, just a little remark concerning the design of the "red dot" attachment of the pistol, i don't like the piece that goes all around the pistol.

On another subject, i was thinking of starting my game using the plane/ship, and i realise that it's not so easy to fly, many control to learn, i am scared that it could discourage a player if it's too complicated. Would it be possible to add a more easy/basic fly mode?

sr388 likes this.
  9. Bob3000

Bob3000

Very cool!
    We have high detail gun models showing fullscreen in the inventory view (similar to some other games), but as soon as this is available, we will discard that & use this instead. This is good.

Where & how the template art in GKC look is not a problem as we will replace them all. Just that when you finalize it please immediately go from 3rd person to the weapon editor screen (right now it goes from 3rd person --->FPS--->then weapon editor).

To blur the background or not its up to you, same with whether the game is completely pause or not. would be nice to have an option for that kind of things because lots of games have different design requirements.

One thing as a 3rd person game, we would like to ask for the option to switch to specially made high detail models/hand when switching to the weapon editor, instead of the 3rd person lower resolution art as is now.

Same way the traditional FPS HUD works, different art for first & third person view.

sr388 likes this.
  10. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I know that feel, with more and more indie companies (which is great of course, love a lot these kind of games, sometimes more than the typical AAA), it is hard to know what it is in development, and eventually, something similar to your idea can appear and both can know nothing about the other.

This happened to me too with the movie interestelar (great movie btw). I made a plot for a game involving time travel, gravity, parallel universes before I could know the movie, and when I saw it, I was like..... did they get my script or something? xdd.

I just searched some images from attachment for weapons, and most known sights for pistols used to be something similar (not too much accurate to this first mode done with cubes and cylinders haha). The good part is (like all elements in the asset) you can set your own model very easily.

About vehicles, of course, the idea is to add a lot more of vehicles, including different types of the same class, like flying, with different types of controls, from simple to more complex.

For this update, I am focusing more in type of control modes for the player (point and click, 2.5d, top down, isometric,....) and weapons improvements, but for another update, I will be back for vehicles, to add more types and make improvements (like the cargo system, sorry @Wetw0rx for not being able to move to that part yet, but this will be done soon).

Cool to know and thanks. I really like how this system was back in 2009 in crysis and being able to achieve it now is very satisfying.

About the order in the editor if the player is in third person, do you mean something like this? (this is a video mod which is not finished, but I think the transition of the camera is good):

crysis.gif

Yeah, I want to add a better transition for the attachment editor ingame when the player is in third person, and I think the above gif is a nice solution for it. I will keep the current system and add an option to avoid the change to first person view and use this crysis mode. I will add this tomorrow, along with pickups for attachments, to activate them in weapons, so they appears in the edit weapon mode.

The attachment video only shows the initial version, I have a lot of improvements planned for this system.

About blur the background, I am agree with you, in fact I add a shader for that,when the player use a menu.

But it doesn't allow to configure a layer to not affect certain elements, like the weapon.

But this effect can be done with post proccesing stack v2, this is the github of unity: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing

With this, you can achieve that effect. I didn't include in the asset to avoid to have a bigger size (and also, I am not sure if this asset, official from unity and free, can be included in this kind of assets).

I could add in the doc how to configure this effect for weapons, examine objects, etc... to add a more immersive feeling in the game, with a smooth transition.

About the model, there is a character creator to replace the model of the asset for your own (also can be used for the AI). The hands in the weapons can also be replaced by your model too. There is not animations for these arms in first person, but someday, I would like to add them. Before that, I want to add full body awareness, to allow to see the body of the player in first person and check if the inverse kinematics can be used for the arms, avoiding to need a secondary model for the arms.

Regards.

11. Bob3000

Bob3000

Thats nice if you can do a smooth zoom like that to a new editor model seamlessly. Or do what you can in a similar style but in a GKC way. About the background blur, we have a system already to adjust blur base on focus.

For the animation as long as your Character Creator allow to choose an asset (prefab etc), we can do our own animation to make the hands/gun model/attachments sway, rig the hand & parent the rest of the gun & attachments to the hierarchy will do the trick.

We may have to worry about during the Editor mode whether enemies still attacking if the game is not pausing, or you can set an option not to use in battle which is more complicated (because you have to define a condition).

sr388 likes this.
  12. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

This looks great! How will this work with multiplayer?

sr388 likes this.
  13. sr388

sr388

Done.

The new camera transition for the attachment editor mode in third person now doesn't need to change the camera view to first person. It mostly works like the crysis gif from above, the player's model stills being visible, and even the hand which doesn't hold the weapon is moved away, like in first person.

new attachment perspective.gif

new attachment perspective3.gif

I think this new transition is really cool, so no matter which view you are, the transition is quick and smooth, and like in first person, all positions for weapon, camera, etc... are totally configurable.

Sure, the character creator will be even improved with more options and better working.

Yeah, I could include two options, one where the game still running and enemies can damage you and another where all the enemies and characters around you are paused to avoid any possible interaction, though I think the first one gives a more organic feeling.

Another option, simillar to the wheel weapon selection menu, the attachment editor can slow down the time, just like in doom when you are selecting a new weapon. I can add all of these options.

Thanks man.

Do you mean if the player would be visible to other players in this mode, or if other players would be able to damage the player while he is editor mode?

Both answers would be yes, since the game shouldn't be paused for the actions of one player, right? Tell me if you were talking about another element.

After this I will add these attachments as pickups and then back to the documentation.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, Mark_01 and neodotca like this.
  14. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Hey there, I have my eye on this asset because I love assets with code that demonstrate useful things. I'm holding back until there is documentation, however, because code assets can be difficult to use without documentation.

15. sr388

sr388

Hi @GamifyTheWorld.

Thanks for your interest in the asset.

One objective of this asset is to being able to be highly customizated without need to coding, by using the custom inspectors of the components and prefabs.

But, of course, the code can be modified in any moment according to the needs of the user. I try to make the code as clear and simple as possible, and add comments in every part needed (though I need to add more comments in some new elements too).

In the documentation, along with finishing to cover the tutorials to configure all the components and systems of the asset, another section will cover how the code is made, how the components are connected and send the information and what part can be located in which script.

I totally understand you wait for this doc to be finished, along with any update about this file (which is uploaded in the main post of this forum) I will tell here when this file is complete as well, so you can know it.

Regards.

ScourgeGames likes this.
  16. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

I was mostly wondering if we would be able to see the player changing attachments, and if we would see different attachments on other peoples' weapons.

I'm also curious if you can have a weapon drop with random attachments or no attachments or maybe just one or two.

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  17. sr388

sr388

Of course, the idea for the multiplayer (and split screen), is that all actions made by a player (like edit attachments, seen the current attachments in a weapon, crouch, upper body rotation while aiming, headtrack, etc....) will be visible by the rest of players).

Some of these elements will need the addition of full body awareness to see others players bodies while they are in first person, since right now, the player's body mesh is disabled in that view (or FBA, this is mostly in split screen, where a player can be able to see to others, even if they are in first person), which is planned to do.

For multiplayer this is not neccesary, since the rest of players are just AI with input from other machines, and will see others like they are in third person. But still, the FBA will be added to the asset as well (I have not totally planned the best way to achieve it yet, but I am getting some useful info and steps for it, but also, if some of you know a good way to do it, tell about it here).

For third person, everything is already able to be seen once the multiplayer is added.

The random attachments option sounds good too. Of course, the weapons can have from infinite to none attachments, according to what you need. If the player is using a weapon without them, the editor ingame for attachment can't be enabled.

The objective of this asset is to be as customizable as possible throught inspector, so all the options values are up to you, and that includes the posibility to create regular weapons, scifi, tools, etc... including from the classical sights, silencer, to the most weird or cool attachment you can imagine, so you can get the most simple, or the most crazy weapon you could need.

Btw, yesterday, the attachments now are also pickups, so you can start with a weapon with none attachment, and activated them by taking these pickups.

Here some gifs:

At the start, you can see the weapons hasn't any attachment and then the holographic sight is picked, showing only that attachment as usable.​

attachment new1.gif

Here, some more attachments are picked and you can see how all of them appear in the attachment editor mode.

attachment new4.gif

These pickups has two string fields, to configure to which weapon belongs and which attachment activates, so they can be related to just one weapon. Also, there is an option to use universal attachment, so if you are using a weapon with x attachment disabled and you take its pickup, the attachment in that weapon is enabled.

Also, if that attachment is already enabled in the weapon, the pickup is not taken. There will be more options related to attachments, since there is a lot more that can be added, but the current system is very flexible, able to be used in any weapon and to configure any kind of attachment.

A clamp range value for horizontal and vertical values for rotation and position has been added for weapon sway. I didn't realize to add these clamps values before, so the sway values could be higher than desired (this could be more noticeable with fast mouse movements), so the issue with player's inside arms showing in the screen won't happen again.

Without these clamp values:

sway clamp2.gif

And with them (the range is totally configurable):

sway clamp1.gif

Regards.

Mark_01, Wetw0rx, DrOcto and 2 others like this.
  18. neodotca

neodotca

Thank you for fixing the inside arms issue.

"to the most weird or cool attachment you can imagine, so you can get the most simple, or the most crazy weapon you could need" ... i like that!

Looking forward for the multiplayer battle royale mode with FBA for FPS.
    Awesome work as always!

sr388 likes this.
  19. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

Incredible work! It's great to see how this has come so far.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but are reload animations on the list?

sr388 likes this.
  20. neodotca

neodotca

I got the following answer on Apr 3, 2018

neodotca said:
    BTW, i would like to update soon, but i am waiting for the weapon animations like (recharge and maybe others), if you could just add the placeholders? Today, you just can't publish a FPS game without these animations. If you can't do it now... well, i will wait no problem, BTW, thanks for the great job you are doing!

sr388 said:
    If Doom doesn't need to reload weapons, no one needs them.... just kidding. Yeah, it was already mentioned, and I will try to add them in the new update.

sr388 likes this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Me too....haha.

I can't wait to get FBA working, it is another element in games that I have always wanted to do since mirror's edge.

Thanks men.

Yeah, it is planned to do (thanks @neodotca for the faster answer), I want to think the best way to do this, since it is different in third and first person, and least with the current system, using IK in third person and a separated model for the arms in first person.

I think the best way to work with reload animations will be once the FBA is done, due to that will be the definetively way the controller will work for both views. The FBA is planned to be done later this year.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  22. sr388

sr388

Btw, here a video showing all the improvements and new elements added for the attachments system.

Regards.

DrOcto, Mark_01, joshua_42 and 4 others like this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick update progress.

I have returned to work a little in the top down view, making some improvements on it. Here how the current system looks:

There are some triggers which enable and disable parts of the mansion (like the first floor or the ceiling) to show better the level.

Due to this, there is also a system to make objects between the camera and the player transparent smoothly (using a capsule cast to find properly all these objects) to allow to see better the level. Like that, there is no need to disable parts of the level, but you can use any of these options (even both).

transparent top down camera4.gif

Also, there is a new option in the attachment system to make the camera transition in third person smoothly or at once, with option to check if the player is in free or locked camera.

improved devices interaction9.gif

Finally, I have added an option in the use devices system to set as current device to use (element to interact, like pickups, computers, password panels, puzzles, vehicles, …) the closest one to the center of the screen. This allows to a more accurated selection of the device to use. There is also an option to set the max distance of a device to the center of the screen to be set as the current device to use. It works in any view, third or first.

improved devices interaction4.gif

improved devices interaction5.gif

improved devices interaction6.gif

And now, I am going to get some sleep.

Regards.

wrngsurgeon, Bob3000, DrOcto and 11 others like this.
  24. Bob3000

Bob3000

Hi Sr388, you said there is an option to hide each weapon from showing on the back of the player, I looked at the settings & click all possible options, but none do anything.

Can you capture a screen to show me exactly which button? Thanks!

25. sr388

sr388

Of course.

In every weapon, in the inspector IK Weapon System, in the part Show Settings, you can find the option to hide the weapon model while the player is not using it.

Captura.PNG

Tell me if this works or not.

Regards.

Mark_01 and Bob3000 like this.
  26. Bob3000

Bob3000

That's interesting, I have none of those options in my version of GKC, my setting ends at (Weapon Prefab Model), the 3 lines below, such as (Hide Weapon) & (Can be dropped) are not available in to me.

I'm not worry though, it could be a number of things, 1, I'm using 2.4B (I think even that version has this option). The problem could be that I'm still running Unity 4.6. I'm doing that because I need to support some other projects, I hope by opening the scene in 2017 will fix it. If not I'll report it as a bug to you.

Thanks!

27. sr388

sr388

Aham, I see.

I think that option was introduced in 2.4c (I will check the first version were the option appears).

It doesn't matter the version, if the option is included, it must appear in the inspector, but thanks for telling me about it.

Regards.

28. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

hi sr, some cool new features coming in next update...

sr388 likes this.
  29. sr388

sr388

Thanks men. I would like to have this update ready for the middle of the next month, to coincide with the third anniversary of GKC (damn, 2015 seems so far now xd).

I am working in the todo list right now, most of the elements are little things here and there to improve or add, some fixes and a few "big" things (though I don't know if more of these big things will be included in 2.4d or be moved to the next update after that).

The most probably is that I will focus in the doc and leave the new big things for the next version.

Regards.

30. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Cant wait to see the doc's, will it be full documentation for every feature available atm? if so that would be brilliant.... :)

sr388 likes this.
  31. sr388

sr388

Indeed, the main objective of the doc is to cover every feature of GKC.

But, for the update 2.4d (the current one), I don't know if I will be able to add all the remaining content, but I will try to add as much as possible (including new elements like weapons on inventory, attachments, point and click system, etc... and all the new from this new version).

Regards.

32. MrBeros

MrBeros

I have UFPS , Opsive third person controller and invector but it looks like i must buy this one here too!!
    Lot of usefull stuff i need for my space survival game.
    How is it with multiplayer , can i already use this controller with unet without scripting to much (because im really bad with scripting ) ?

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Hi @Gaming-ProjectDE.

Why are you wasting time talking? Go buy it right now....

Hahaha, now seriously, thanks for your interest in the asset.

About the multiplayer, I couldn't say how much would take to add multiplayer, since I haven't enough knowledge about unet and photon (yet). Maybe the implementation could be quick, or maybe some elements could need a modification to work properly online, but definetively, it needs some code knowledge to work on the online part.

But one of my objectives with this asset is to learn about videogames development (and in fact I have learned a lot), and multiplayer is planned to be added, using one of these two systems first (and probably the other will be implemented later). I want to start with it this year and hopefully, have it ready this year too.

The previous steps that I want to this are multiple characters in screen where the player can change between them and split screen and the first element is almost finished (all considerations are almost ready for this).

Once this two modes are available, the multiplayer will be started.

Feel free to ask any other doubt you could have, or even if this doesn't answer your question.

Regards.

neodotca and tgamorris76 like this.
  34. Fobok

Fobok

For a while now, I've been thinking about a game idea. One that I would love to do but the scope seemed huge for any single developer, let alone a novice one like myself with a limited schedule and extremely limited budget.

If this asset is as good as it seems to be, however, it suddenly looks a lot more possible. :)

I do have some questions, however.

1. How easy is it to integrate? For example, if I decide later that I want to use a more specialized inventory asset - like Inventory Pro, for example - rather than yours, would it mess everything up? (Not saying I would, just an example.)

2. This one, I'll probably need custom scripts for, but I'm basically wondering if your system is open enough to allow it. In one of your demo videos, a character ducks under a table to stealth. Under that table, you had limited movement. I'm assuming something like that could be used to lock to a cover, as in (for example) Mankind Divided. Would it be possible to continue that type of system by adding (as in Mankind Divided) the ability to dash from one piece of cover to another on a click/hotkey?

3. How set is the UI? For another example, in the demo, you always had to click the number of items whenever you used something. Can I skip that aspect? Heck, can I redesign the UI completely?

Hope these questions are okay. :)

sr388 likes this.
  35. hopeful

hopeful

I would suggest going with Photon, as it has been around a long time and has remained fairly consistent.

I never did get much into Unity's networking as it had a lot of bugs, but maybe that has been cleared up for some time now. IDK if it's still buggy or not because I never really come across people talking about using uNet in other threads.

sr388, neodotca and DrOcto like this.
  36. neodotca

neodotca

To be honest, i did not do any research yet, but like GKC, Unity systems are interconnected, Unity have a solid reputation and more resources. So in the long term, i guess it would be the best choice. But i need more information before taking a final decision.

sr388 likes this.
  37. sr388

sr388

Hi @Fobok.

Thanks for your interest in the asset. Of course your questions are okay, they are very reasonable.

1.- That would depend of the system to integrate, not all the assets are the same and according to what they do and what taks would cover, it could take more or less time.

I know this can be sound vague, but every asset is a world, and most integrations ask for a learning time to know (most times from 0) how the whole other asset works and then, start the integration with your asset.

All asset developers all asset would be 100% able to work together without nothing, but unfortunately, this is not like that.

My roadmap for this asset is to finish a solid framework, where all the tools and systems needed for a game are already present and ready to work together without extra steps or other assets needed.

I know this could sounds or looks like a dumb decision, but I started this asset as a way to know more about development rather than make a simple controller and add a bunch of integrations (and this had helped me a lot).

But of course, I understand other people doesn't like this and prefer combine assets as they need or use other solutions for certain elements.

So I want to start with more integrations soon, to cover others systems that would take a lot of time to me for get them in the asset, or even impossible for me to do. Also, other solutions for common tasks would be added aswell. GKC is always in an iterative loop of improvements, none feature is made and leave like that forever, all the systems are improved, so I would like that the current systems that maybe other assets make better, be as good as them someday (or as good as possible).

2.- You are asking more to how much the code allows to extend its functionality more than askig for the deus ex feature, right?

Some systems allow this and some other are made to make specific tasks. In my opinion, taking the example of cover from deus ex, I would make a new component for that rather than modify the camera limitation, to avoid huge scripts and have every different system separated, to be easier to modify for a new option or some improvement.

Of course, from time to time, I found that some code or functions or systems can be combined to reduce the code or remove similar code or make them easy to extended.

For this example of the camera rotation under the table, I have that rotation limits and camera management in the hide system itself, similar to how the player camera and the vehicle camera are two separated components, to allow a more easy code, different scripts, avoid huge files and allow a more easy configuration and cleaner inspectors.

Sometimes, between updates, I found a best approach to some previous systems, since sometimes, the first solution you made it not always the best or there is room to improve it.

3.- Most UI elements can be configure in the system which use them, for example, the inventory has options to use all the objects needed at once or select the amount (there is a button to select all the units in the selected slot for example).

But yes, the UI is made as placeholder, so you can change its design (but it is not recommended to remove entire elements from the UI, since those elements assigned in the inspector would be missing. It is better to change its textures, colors, positions, etc... on the current elements). Also, other UI elements can be just disabled if they won't be used for example. The good part of unity UI system is that is ridiculously customizable.

Tell me if this solves your doubts or not and feel free to ask any other question.

I still have to search, read and think about online systems in unity, though I think the more used (if there is more than these two) are photon and unet. The objective is to integrate them into the asset (I don't mean to combine them, both would work by their own), so the user can select which one they want to use in their games.

And the first one would be the best working of both. I have read that the two have pros and cons. It is possible that another pool will be made in this forum to see what solution users would prefer first.

Yeah, I want to make some researchment and gather all the necessary info about both online systems to know how they work, how to add them and take a decision. In anyone in the forum have some experience with online, please tell here the system used and your experience/results you got with it, to get an idea.

Maybe I am just overthinking and the online integration would be quick (I wish, but maybe I could be wrong haha). But anyway, I will start with the search of info later this summer.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, tgamorris76 and neodotca like this.
  38. Fobok

Fobok

Yes, I was. :) Though I would like to add cover based stealth to my game if I go ahead with it, I was using it just as an example.

Thanks for answering my questions! I still need to make some final decisions, but this is moving to the top of my list for assets for this project.

sr388 likes this.
  39. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I know I've brought this up before but do you still plan on adding bow & arrow and sword & shield (and dagger\knife) support?

Mark_01 and sr388 like this.
  40. sr388

sr388

Happy to hear that. Of course, take all the time you need. You can also check the videos of previous features, previews, this forum, the roadmap, etc...

And even if you finally don't get the asset, I appreciate your interest and comments, thanks for it.

Of course @StevenPicard. I cant' wait to work on this system and in fact, I have broken the limit of this asset (the animations), by hiring a freelancer for it.

The good news is that I have already a new 3d model for the asset and its rig. The bad part is that the rig had some issues first and I am working with the animator and the artist to fix it as soon as possible, to get the new animations as sson as possible.

The first group of animaitons will cover basic ones that the player needs (like running strafe, crouch strafe, roll, sprint, etc...), basic for most third person controllers. After that, new animations for melee combat will be included.

Believe me, I am the first one that want the model rig already working and the animations to be made, so I can improve the controller movement and being able to add new systems, like combat, swim, climb, etc...

I only ask a little more of time for this. I am spending the time until I can get the animations in other elements useful or that the asset needs as well

Regards.

neodotca, Mark_01, Fobok and 2 others like this.
  41. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Sounds great!

sr388 likes this.
  42. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

43. Mark_01

Mark_01

Also I know I asked , Please don't forget about Magic casting , with the melee and bow actions.

sr388 likes this.
  44. Mark_01

Mark_01

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Wetw0rx and sr388 like this.
  45. sr388

sr388

I have seen some animations tools for unity @tgamorris76. But I haven't used none of them yet, due to to I am more a programmer than an artist, so even if I use this (or any other) tool to make animaitons from scratch, it would take me several months to make something similar to regular looking animations.

Instead of that, I prefer keep focusing in the general development of this asset and let a real animator artist to take care of real good looking animaitons. Someday, I want to try my self to make animaitons, but for now, I prefer to leave that to a real artist.

Yeah @Mark_01. UMotion pro seems to be more used and it is pretty useful that it generate regular animation files instead of their own. And I think the way it is used is similar to other animations tools, like maya.

It could be a good start point when someday I start to work on animaitons. I will keep the name.

Thanks to both for telling me.

Also, the two freelancers that are working with me in the rig of the new character model and the animations are close to solve the issue in the rig, so very soon, the new animations will be started (and the animator is pretty quick on it).

Of course, with melee combat, different magic actions will be included, to have different character types (close combat with swords, magic, long distance weapons, like bow or cannons, invoke minions to fight, etc....).

Regards.

tgamorris76, StevenPicard and Mark_01 like this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick progress udpate.

Yesterday, I started a console mode to being able to write commands ingame using the actual keyboard or your pc. So, it allows to spawn objects in the scene (using a new prefabs manager that will be used in other tasks too), change stats, configurations and options in the player (like enable/disable abilities/powers/weapons), make the player to make a certain action (like draw a weapon, change to third person, disable the option to jump or give him infinite jumps), etc... basically any function you could need, using unity events.

This could be use as a debug tool or as a rewarning to the player once the game is finished. Also, it could be added to computer devices in the prefabs, to use it as a mechanic in the game, but instead of change stats in the game, it could unlock doors, enable power sources, activate elevators, disable a security camera to avoid being detected, etc....any action necessary.

Also, I have added the option to unlock the cursor on vehicles, so the player can use a vehicle interface with the mouse very similar to star citizen (with a world canvas) to manage different stats in that vehicle, like change velocity, eject the player, activate or deactivate weapons, etc…. The system allows to configure any action needed, using unity events which allows to send dynamic parameters, like a boolean from a toggle UI element or a float from the current value of a slider.

I remember @Wetw0rx asked for this feature. It is already complete, some little improvements and options will be added, but the main structure to allow to configure almost any action is already made.

What options would be useful or cool to add in that interface to modify stats of the vehicle ingame? For now, I only have added a button to eject the player, a slider to change the jump power, a button to enable or disable the weapon in the vehicle and the self destruction button.

I will add more actions in that interface and make another quick video tomorrow.

Regards.

Mark_01 and Wetw0rx like this.
  47. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Can we get shields for the vehicles not just hp? and incremental throttles please :)

sr388 and Wetw0rx like this.
  48. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Console Mode!! God, with all the games I've hacked using a console, I can't believe I didn't think of it. What a great tool to have. This would dramatically speed up in-game workflows and testing.

sr388 and hopeful like this.
  49. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Thanks for the addition of vehicle cursor unlocking and yes this is an epic feature.
    Some ways I've used it on ships before include
    1. Vehicle dock mode (makes the craft top speed super low and sets thrust values lower to allow easy maneuvering in tight spaces.
    2. A reverse mode that sets the brake top speed to a negative value to allow backing up of vessel)
    3. Lights
    4. Open hatch/door (in large ships)
    5. Radio (turn on local radio chatter)
    6. Weapon change
    7. Vent thrusters (I had an engine heat system going at one point)
    I could go on for ages I've been using a homemade version of this feature for a while and it allows me to give the player a measure of sim-like control over the ship. I like to combine this with scene environmental effects on the ship to make it so the player has to pay attention to the instruments and adjust systems accordingly. It's been a fun experiment to say the least.

sr388 and tgamorris76 like this.
  50. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Any word on dialogue and quest?

sr388 likes this.