Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.7%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

30.0%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.2%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.2%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.5%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Sure, send me a PM in this forum when you want to make the test.

I think there is not an easy way to do this, since GKC is not prepared to be used with another asset controller, since it is made to work checking different states of the controller it self (like if he is on ground or not, dead or alive, crouching, using weapons, or powers, or driving, or hidden, camera can move or rotate, etc... (and I am sure this happens for any other controller in the asset, they are not made to use another controller instead).

So the changes needed to add another controller could be pretty big (if it would be just the controller movement, physics, animations management, ground collision and camera, it would be easy to replace, just by setting the code of the new controller in playerController and playerCamera). But in this case, not only the movement and camera controller would be needed, but the whole system, which similar to mine, it would use different functions and callings from different states so everything works properly.

But taking this into account, I could try to start to modificate some parts of the code, to make easier the possibility of integrate othe controller in GKC, since this is evolving more into a whole framework that just a controller (thought I am working in improve a lot the current controller, by adding new animations, systems and new animator).

So yeah, I could start to work in the code changes for the new version after 2.4d, to make any controller integration easier, to make this asset more fexible on that task.

Right now, along with the ability to change and control between different characters in the game (which would allow to have split screen and different players in the scene in the near future), I am making code imrprovements to get a better perfomance.

Regards.

2. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick progress update.

In the last days I have been working in more preparations for the system to manage different characters in the same level (it is the system to control one of them and the rest is controlled by the AI and being able to change this control between the rest of characters). These considerations are also being made taking into account the split screen and the multiplayer.

For this, some elements have been changed to be relative to every player (for example for a couple of elements which were assigned using FindObjectType). Also, the input has been changed and now, instead of call directly to Input Manager script, it goes throught Player Input Manager, which manages if the input is active for that player and also contains his ID, to know which input/keyboard/gamepad belongs to which player.

Along with this, more optimizations have been made.

There are some elements yet to modify to manage more than one player in the scene, but it is almost done. In the mean while, I will work in other elements "more visible" in the update. Also, I organize which features will be added for this update, and they are already selected (I would post them but they aren't written in english xd, I will translate them asap).

Regards.

Mark_01, neodotca, hopeful and 4 others like this.
  3. westryder907

westryder907

Thanks for the update! This is the most maintained Asset I believe I've purchased so far!

Real quick would you know why I'm unable to get 'Ethan'(default GKC character/player) to get in any vehicle?

I haven't changed much for the player prefab and only disabled the run, gravity and states modes so the player only has basic motor functions (move, jump shoot, inventory).

Here's the error I am receiving:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    IKDrivingSystem.getPassengerGetOffPosition (UnityEngine.GameObject currentPassenger) (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Vehicles/IKDrivingSystem.cs:626)
    vehicleHUDManager.activateDevice () (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Vehicles/vehicleHUDManager.cs:406)
    UnityEngine.GameObject:SendMessage(String, SendMessageOptions)
    usingDevicesSystem:useDevice() (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Player/usingDevicesSystem.cs:331)
    usingDevicesSystem:Update() (at Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Player/usingDevicesSystem.cs:74)

Also it would be awesome if we could walk, run and sprint? I noticed so far we're only able to run and 'power run'. it just seems slightly awkward to see my character running everywhere lol.

Anyway thank you so much!

sr388 likes this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Hi @westryder907 and thanks for the comment. I really enjoy to share any relevant progress about the asset.

It seems that the currentPassenger variable doesn't send properly the player gameObject. Maybe some element has been disabled. We can make another tiemviewer session to make a quick test and find the cause. Tell me when you are able to connect.

About the walk, run, sprint, yeah, it is planned to do (there have been some delays with the new animations due to some problems in the maya rig of the new model, but I am working in solve that to get the new animations as soon as possble).

There is an option to allow to run for the player and disable the ability to adhere to surfaces. For this, go to otherPowers inspector and in the Settings part, disable the field Wall Walk Enabled. Like this the player will be able to run without adhering to other surfaces.

upload_2018-6-3_12-44-5.png

Btw, yesterday, a new option was added to the aim assist to allow to configure different body parts to look in the same target, for example, to the head or chest or any part you would need, using the system already made in health for accurated damage detaction and weak spots. If there are different parts to look configured, the selected will be the closest to the screen center.

So for example, the new options look like this:

upload_2018-6-3_12-46-40.png
    And these names are used in every humanoid character in the asset (though of course, you can remove all the weak spots in the health component and these weak spots don't need to increase the damage received if you don't need it, so it can be used too just to configure different points to look).

upload_2018-6-3_12-50-45.png
    This example uses the own bones of the model, but you can configure other transforms as the position of the weak spot, just by adding inside the bone you need.

Also, not only for humanoids, this system can be used with any other element, like the turrets, vehicles, anything which can be destroyed or receive damage, following the same steps to configure them some weak spots and adding those names to the Body parts to look list.

Here the video showing better this:

Regards.

5. westryder907

westryder907

That's a very cool video showing new functionality!

as for connecting, I think I'll try to solve this myself with the info you gave me above before we Teamview it, I'll double check if static is checked (joking) :p

Thank you so much once again for this awesome asset!

sr388 likes this.
  6. sr388

sr388

Hahaha, yeah, make sure about static. Thanks for the comment too.

Now seriously, tell me if the issue stills happening or not.

Regards.

danreid70 likes this.
  7. neoshaman

neoshaman

Is there a callback to tell enemy which part is aimed at (for social stuff like intimidation)?

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  8. sr388

sr388

I didn't think about that, but it could be a very useful function and in fact, very easy to add. Consider it done.

The more the AI is able to know about the enviroment, the better.

Regards.

Wetw0rx, neodotca, Mark_01 and 2 others like this.
  9. westryder907

westryder907

Ok, I've gone through everything I could find and still can't figure this out, mind helping?

10. westryder907

westryder907

Scratch that, I've decided to re-work my game concept and started my project form scratch. Thanks anyway!

11. sr388

sr388

Hi @westryder907.

Sorry for not answering before, I was sleeping until some minutes ago. Tell me for PM if you still want to check the vehicles issue.

Regards.

12. Joker1980

Joker1980

Just a idea. You should do a teleporter system to go from one scene to another and also one that has a pc that allows you to pick where to go kind of how the stargate was used in the show stargate sg1. Also the gates could be used as well for example using a fighter jet you could go from one solar system to another. Or you could have it set to a planet when you enter the atmosphere of the planet it switches to that specific planet scene.

Wetw0rx, sr388 and neodotca like this.
  13. westryder907

westryder907

Honestly I'd like to see what's already been added to be refined and improved on before moving on to adding another feature.

GKC has so many features already that it seems kind of ludicrous to continuously add new features without fine-tuning previously added features since this would put more pressure on the developer by simply trying to meet the demands of an ever expanding pile of features.

GKC is an amazing asset! Don't get me wrong but there are also some game breaking bugs I've ran into which has made some parts & pieces of this asset to become unusable since I am unable to fix them by myself.

Some already implemented features I'd like to see improved upon would be:

-Powers
    I've noticed camera rotation issues when using the wall running ability, the camera becomes stuck (locked into specific orientation) while running up walls and will not reset to it's original position until the game is reset.

-Weapons
    The grenade launcher causes a strange issue where the editor will pause when fired. Once you unpause the editor things resume as normal but this is game breaking.

Along with weapons I'd prefer it if the bullets had an instant impact(raycasted?) instead of the slow moving bullets, this a lot more gratifying to me when the bullets aren't slowly floating across the screen but instead have a nice sharp hit feeling.

-Doors
    I've had issues working with some doors causing potential game breaking issues, more specifically doors when set to swing open, though this may be to the modification I made to my doors (changed the door's mesh model) they were still fairly standard GKC doors being used.

-Create new Character
    OK so this is asking for a new feature but it feels like maybe it should be added and maybe there's a way to do this already that I am missing but I'd like the option to create civilians who flee from danger or loud noises like gunshots. Currently we have the option to create player,enemies or friends. Having one more option "neutral" or "civilian" would be great! This would fill in the void for creating pedestrians. Also if we could set waypoints, randomly wander of various lengths and or interest points with custom animations (interact with object once destination reached animations) this could easily allow GKC to create amazing city populations.

The game I'm working on is based on a city environment and I'm currently using EmeraldAI to manage enemies and pedestrians. While EmeraldAI can create basic implementations of what I need I would MUCH prefer if I didn't have to include yet another asset just to get these functionalities.

-Vehicles
    While I haven't extensively tested all the vehicles I was able to get the car working, though the editor would 'error pause' when using some weapons and also on collision with other vehicles? I don't know what's going on with the helicopter as it loads as a land vehicle(car?) and has never worked for me.

*IF I WERE TO REQUEST NEW FEATURES*
    Some features I'd like to see would mostly be extensions of the already existing functions.

-The ability to ' charge super jump' instead of double jumping if the player could tap jump to get a standard jump, hold jump for a couple seconds to get a big jump and hold it longer for a super jump.

-Teleport based on visual line certain distance
    add the ability to teleport over certain distances(10-50 game units) would be cool! Also the ability to teleport onto the side of a building.

-Climbing instead of wall running
    while this is kind of a big suggestion I'd like to see the player have the ability to climb up walls, there wouldn't initially need to be any IK handling just a decent climb animation used and the ability to move along the Y and X axis of the building surface (think Spiderman climbing kind of).

-Stamina
    This could limit your abilities if Stamina was to low much like powers, stamina could decide how high you could jump and how fast you could run

-Hunger
    If hunger were a implemented system this could easily create a survival game with GKC since there's already an inventory system and a combine system.

OVERALL WANTS FROM THIS ASSET
    These are simple personal wants from this asset, others might feel the same while some others may feel it's unnecessary.

-Simpler interface
    There's so many buttons, fields and options to choose from I literally forgot to look for the documentation and immediately got lost in trying all the buttons out! XD

-Unified systems
    Everything seems to be intertwined and almost dependant on each other else something might not work.
    for example I would get a game breaking error while trying to enter vehicles if my character wasn't setup properly. While most of my issues were solved with afresh project and clean GKC import I still received game breaking errors while using standard GKC objects (vehicles mainly).

At first I had no idea how to enable/disable player powers and found multiple places with options to enable/disable powers and abilities. I still don't know exactly what controls what and find myself using the trial & error method of trying to figure a lot of stuff out which usually causes me to unknowingly break another system.

If there were one obvious central place where I could go and change player abilities (Can this player wallrun?, can this player jump? etc) it would be easier for newcomers to adopt to the the kit.

CONCLUSION
    Like I said GKC is awesome! and I thank you very much for creating and maintaining this wonderful asset. I'd also like to help you build it into becoming even better with hopes that it becomes "The must have asset" when it comes down to it, It is very clunky to customize and I would like to see all the current systems simplified, refined and fine-tuned before new features get added.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    sr388 and neodotca like this.
  14. sr388

sr388

Yeah, that is planned, the idea is to make something similar to borderlands, where you change between levels with triggers, taking also into account if the player is driven a vehicle, to appear in the new scene already on it (the option to start a scene driving a vehicle is already added, so the scene system would use it to work).

Along with this, a game menu or a device/computer (menu in 3d world) could be added too to select between different scenes, like many games (ratchet and clank for example, where you can select a planet to travel).

Btw, to take a break from the "Internal work" of the multiple players in scene, I have been working in another puzzle system, the classical press elements/objects in a certain order to solve it.

For that, I have made a piano system, which allows to configure any number of keys and notes. In this case, the player needs to play the song Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and with the 3d text mesh clue, you can see the notes to play.

Once the piano keys are pressed following that order, the song is played again and then the top part is opened to reveal a weapon (the piano has an option to configure the notes of a song to play with a rate and a delay between every line of the music sheet).

Like the other puzzle systems, is very general, and allows to configure any kind of different puzzles which follows the rule of press different elements in a certain order. Also, this system has an option to allow to call the event of a pressed object while the mouse is pressed, so in this case, while the mouse is being pressed, those piano keys belong the mouse, will be played.

With a few simple scripts, it would allow to create a huge amount of totally different of puzzles. A good example for this is a game I have played recently called Agent A:

It contains a lot of puzzles, so I am taking inspiration from it to add more of them to the asset.

Here some gifs:
    piano1.gif

piano2.gif

And here the video:

Regards.

neodotca and Mark_01 like this.
  15. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I know that it can look that the asset is constanly adding new features, but in the last months (or almost a year), most of them are not new whole systems, but just new options and elements over the current core of the asset, to improve the general systems of the asset. Also, most of these new elements are not dependent of other elements and have almost 0 propability to suffer any problem due to the way its code is done.

In every update, I check all the previous content to make sure everything works properly with respect to the new content. You can be sure none feature or systems are made and then forgotten and left unsupported (of course, there could be some bug from update to update, but I always try to find them and fix them asap).

I have seen the issue with the run power, where the player rotation is not reset when the run stops.

About weapons, yeah, raycast is a better way to shoot the projectiles, apply velocity directly, is good according to the speed, in case it is not too high due to the collision detection is made later that it should.

About characters, of course, it is planned to add more behaviors, including neutral and who run away from danger (and more types). Once these options are added to the AI, those kind of characters will be able to be made in the character creator.

The helicopter is my fault, I left a prefab made with the helicopter in process (it is not a finished vehicle yet), so you can ignore that for the current version.

The rest of issues that you said are really weird, I would say that maybe some concrete element is having an error and making the editor to pause due to this.

I would like to make another teamviewer session with you to take a look at this issue, fix it and make sure everything works properly.

Absolutely yes. Almost all of these features are already planned (for example, stamina and hunger will come very soon, maybe for the current version in progress).

About the rest, I am waiting to have the animations ready to start to work on new systems (specially the climb system).

Yeah, I am working in make every component more free from the rest of elements with dependencies, though sometimes, it is not possible to simplify that.

About the central place, yes, the features manager, but I need to add different new options that have been added in new updates which aren't pressent yet. But its objective is to have all the relevant features of the player localized in the same inspector, to make it easier to customize.

Thanks again @westryder907 for the message, it is very important and helps a lot to improve the asset with better workflow, make me realize of not noticed elements, make improvements, etc...

And you can be sure all of this is taken into account and it will be applied to the asset, to make it as good as possible.

Regards.

neodotca and Mark_01 like this.
  16. hopeful

hopeful

I like the idea of neutral NPCs. If a dev wants to use a more complicated factional system, they can do so, and simply maintain the friend / enemy / neutral state when integrating with GKC. This could enable situations like talking to a character (neutral), who based on the conversation, turns either into a friend or enemy, or remains neutral.

Some of the other stuff mentioned I'd prefer it to be more optional ... like maybe the projectile speed can be exposed in the component so arrows can be made to travel slower than bullets, and fireballs even slower, or something like that. Or maybe the speed of attacks can get manipulated by a personal variable, and thus affected by boosts. And maybe a tip could be there to warn devs that too high a speed can affect impact detection ... when that is in use.

In my game, the way the targeting and "hit" mechanics work is like D&D, where essentially simulated die rolls determine if a character in line of sight is hit or not. With the hit or miss state already determined, the projectile flies and may need to curve to hit a moving target, if that hit has been predetermined.

Any optional ways of getting game effects are always nice, like the idea of charging for a jump in addition to double jump. I also like the idea of simply holding the jump button down and having the jump continue till either max jump impulse (for that character) has been reached or the button is released. That can be handy if you have a game where precision jumping is required.

As for different wall walking methods ... I would assume there should be a way of changing default values so that within a game there can be one version that walks on walks and another version that uses a crawl animation and maybe an adjustable travel speed.

I'm glad @sr388 is still having fun with his game kit ... it's great having tools for vehicles and different flying modes and combat and questing and everything all in one kit! I'd say the main thing would be to keep finding ways to made it more modular and adaptable, so that the character controller (or parts of it) can be swapped out, vehicle controllers swapped, swap a system to a different looking UI ... whatever, because it is a super system with a lot of examples, but devs are going to want to change this or that depending on their game needs.

neodotca, sr388 and Wetw0rx like this.
  17. neoshaman

neoshaman

Generally raycast and projectile are two different mode of gameplay, not sure if it's wise to mix them.

18. drcfrx

drcfrx

Hi
    since the poll ask what we want to see in next versions here's what I'd like:
    - Full and proper documentation (especially detailed setup of each system)
    - Climbing (ladder, rocks or crates, windows, gutter, wire/rope)
    - Swimming (& holding breath, not just underwater)
    - other Survival stats (Endurance, Fatigue, Fear, Sanity, Noise, Scent, Body Odor., Infection...)
    - Polishing & Performance
    I didn't buy the system yet, because it really looks like the system still needs documentation and miss some basic features for a controller. However I'll be following a while.

Cheers

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  19. sr388

sr388

Of course, this kind of AI will be included, so you can only talk with them, or start a mission talking with them and they will go with the player, or hire them to help the player to fight, and similar options.

Projectiles can be configured to being fired as regular rigidbodys with an applied speed (that speed is configurable in the weapon/power inspector) or by using a raycast which directly place the projectile in the surface detected, applying the damage to it.

All the elements in the asset are made to be easy to change their aspect, from 3d meshes in prefabs, to UI, characters, vehicles, etc... In every update, I tried to make everything as modular as possible and add as much customization options as possible. Of course, there are work to do yet, but this is one of the main objectives of the asset.

Oh no, I didn't say they are used together. They are different options in the configuration of a weapon/power, so you can choose how the projectile is fired, by using a rigidbody with a selected velocity or use raycast and place the projectiles directly in the detected surface, and you can have a game where use just one of them, or both, with weapons which shoots different kind of projectiles (for example, by default the grenade launcher uses rigidbody and the riffle assault uses raycast).

Hi @drcfrx.

Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, the documentation will be updated soon with new content.

About the systems you said, those which requires animations will come, but these animations are not ready yet. Once they are done, these systems will be added.

Others like survival is planned, with all kind of stats for the player and the enviroment.

Finally, in every update, all the elements are checked to find any issue or bug to be fixed and along with this, performance improvements are made as well.

Thanks again for the feedback, it is always appreciate as it deserves.

Regards.

20. neoshaman

neoshaman

I anticipate the neutral npc too, but I thought GKC was design by group of themed functionality, that is first motion, then fighting, then environment interaction (current) and maybe next npc interaction like in village interaction (it was metion a few page ago when I was talking about scheduling).

So here is my suggestion:
    To make more visibility in the progression of added function, group them by theme instead of a flat list, so you can say you are now focusing on combat and next will be village sims/survival/questing/etc

It will also make it way easier to read the list of future function, especially if there is subtheme.

Wetw0rx and sr388 like this.
  21. sr388

sr388

Do you mean something like this (with the correct categories of player, camera, weapons, AI, vehicles, etc...):

upload_2018-6-5_20-18-23.png

Instead of just:

• Feature 1
    • Feature 2
    • Feature 3

Yeah, you are right, I am going to use the format you said for every new update, it is easier to see what is new related to every category of the asset.

Btw, today I have returned to work on the 2.5d system and now, it allows to change seamless from fixed horizontal movement to free movement to left, right, forward and backward, similar to little nightmares. Also, I have added a few more camera types to the current 2.5d demo to change from locked 2.5d to free 2.5d, to 3d locked camera to free camera and viceversa (the order is not important), to show the transition to any of these cameras are very smooth.

GlassConsciousAddax-size_restricted (1).gif

2.5d en proceso.gif

2.5d en proceso4.gif

2.5d en proceso5.gif

Also, I am doing another component to change parameters and states of the player ingame using triggers, like for example, change to first or third person, enable or disable the option to change between cameras, draw or keep a certain weapon, disable or enable the ability to use powers or the gravity system, etc....they could be also used for cinematics, to enable/disable movement of the player and camera.

I will start also today the point and click system, which will be quick to do.

Also, I have been thinking in the way to make a better demo scene and I have already some ideas, so the new demo will be started tomorrow.

Regards.

neodotca, Wetw0rx, danreid70 and 3 others like this.
  22. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well I was thinking more about theme than categories, but that work too.

Theme is more about managing anticipation for your user, for example melee can be considered a "theme", which is a group of function across all "categories". Town simulation would be another, for example right now it could be "adventure" with camera and puzzle as categories of function currently implemented. Might help you also manage focus.

For example, say you are doing "shooter" as a theme, you would focus on gun and function that support it (as in npc that goes to cover, patrol, react to aiming, etyc ...), while next it could be "rpg", where you would focus on melee, enemy than work with melee, questing, town simulation, etc ...

Mark_01 likes this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Yeah, I think that I understand what you said. These themes could be also used for the demos, to make everyone of them using these themes.

Btw, I have almost finished the point and click system structure (which barely needed a couple of additions to the player controller system, due to the input used is the same used by the AI and the new script added can be just removed from the controller itself). I am using the mansion scene and the locked camera system to configure if the movement is free or it uses point and click, so the transition between game modes still being smooth.

Also, I have been thinking in the best way to make the option for dual weapons, and it could be done without too much difficult. This option would allow to combine any weapon equipped in the player (similar to last wolfenstein games), and I was thinking in using the inventory slots for weapons to give the option to combine them easily, so the player would carry one weapon in every hand according to how you configure them, by dragging and dropping 2 weapons in the same slot.

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  24. Mark_01

Mark_01

I was reading this and thinking maybe this might be possible ? sr888 ? With all these systems you are putting in
    and very good BTW :) It is great.

What might be the possibility that say you could start a new project with GKC and have like a menu of possible combinations for a " theme " then it would enable and disable the internal systems of GKC ,

like an idea would be theme " survival " in which case you would want " hunger / thirst " shelter .. that kind of thing.
    So in a earth type survival game you would not want space ships or most of the " powers " or wall walking.. ?

Or a space game with the most common elements in it ? same idea with other types. like RPG .
    Not sure if the effort to have " starting configuration " would be worth the work. Or perhaps a main menu
    where you could turn off and on what ever features you wanted ?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    sr388 and Wetw0rx like this.
  25. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Amazing thread as always!!

Of particular interest to me was the talk about doors to other scenes, configurable themes and of course, the upcoming animation/controller updates.

Doors to other scenes is something I've been working on for a while and it's pretty straight forward with just a player and only slightly more complicated for a player in a vehicle. I'd love to see it built in to GKC complete with options for audio, loading screen, fade in/out, unity event, etc and easy set up like the teleport pads.
    BTW an option for fade in/out for the teleport pads would be very useful to me. I rewrote the teleport script to do this before and lost it when I updated to 2.4b (live and learn).

After researching several solutions, I realize the real issue is deciding on a consistent, unified game architecture that all these systems would live under. That ties back directly to the configurable themes. For example, if going from land scene to a separate space scene, each scene can have it's own specific environmental conditions within it and these can be a massive list of variables like is there gravity, oxygen, etc. But if you're streaming and scaling in/out areas/biomes then it would be quite helpful to have a solid game manager, preload scene, scriptable objects, API or whatever to drive it all at runtime. Its actually helpful in any case. Some devs I talk to swear by the preload scene method and others hate it so how you implement is up to you. This is the tricky part of game dev (especially Unity) and the even trickier part for sr388 is building a universal system that fits any game stlye. Going back to the themes thing, if enough options can be included, I can see the GKC forum filled with user created themes and now we're even getting into one click game generating territory, lol. (GKC is gonna take over the asset store)

I wanted to confirm the camera not resetting properly when using the wall walk sometimes and also when landing the aircraft on inclined or verticle surfaces.

Question: Is there a way to make the hovercraft hover higher off of the ground? My hovercraft tend to bottom out and hit the ground a little too often. I've tried adjusting a couple things in the controller with negative results.

Keep up the good work bro! The scope of this asset never ceases to amaze me

sr388 and Mark_01 like this.
  26. sr388

sr388

Yeah, maybe something similar could be achieve, a quick menu to select a mode and this would autoconfigure the controller setting to be used for that kind of mode.

Once these kind of elements (survival stats, space, rpg, ....) have been added, I could try to add this type of setting. Very interesting, thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, the trigger system for scene management is relatively very simple and can be done quickly, so it is very possible that is added for the current update. I wanted also to add a loading screen into a separated empty scene, to show the percentage of load, like any regular game.

About the teleport pads, do you mean those in the standard demo, or fade for teleport between scenes? Anyway, both could be done (in fact the current menu system has an option to fade the screen when the game starts).

Yeah, I definetively would like to add this kind of setting system, making it as customizable as possible for any kind of game mode/theme. Maybe with a list of unity events which would activate and deactivate different options in the controller, so for any kind of theme, it could be configured which settings are enabled and which don't (so it could be entirely configurable with 0 code, just using the inspector).

Maybe scriptable objects could be used for this too, but I would like to implement first those elements relative to more different themes of game (more related to gravity, more to survival horror, more to adventure, like the current point and click system in process, more to rpg, including the future melee combat system, more related to survival stats, etc....). But the main objective would be to make this system as universal (like you said) as possible.

But in the meantime, the basic structure of this theme selection could be created too. Added in the todo list ;)

I haven't access to unity editor right now, but I think there is an option to configure the flying height of the hovercraft. I will check it tomorrow and tell you about it.

About the wall walk issue, I have noticed too, I will check that as well and fix it for this update.

And of course, thanks to both @Mark_01 and @Wetw0rx for your comments and feedback. a big part of the development of this asset is thanks to this support :D

Regards.

Wetw0rx and Mark_01 like this.
  27. whatbus2000

whatbus2000

what is the easiest way to change the actual size of the inventory. I have had a go but the icons stay the same size no matter what i do. Thank you.

28. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Yea, I've been using the teleport pads from the demo to fake some entrances from exterior to interior and a fade would make it much better.

The "vanish" option is always on in my project ever since it was added a few updates ago. (Thanks, fades are always a solid option for polish).

Also an option to play a sound when teleport helps too. I've been using the devices in GKC more and more lately. Always nice to find multiple uses for so many of the examples in the kit.

Also, how can I deactivate the name floating over the friendly AIs. I may just be missing it but I can't find it anywhere in the inspector :confused:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  29. sr388

sr388

The inventory slots are dinamy, using scroll rect (Canvas) to be made, so it is just a matter to configure the hieght and widht of those slots in the UI.

For this, follow this hierarchy: In GKC_Prefab, go to Hud And Menus, HUD, Inventory, Inventory Panel, Inventory Slots inventoryList, content.

In the inspector of content, there is the component Grid Layout Group, configure the values Cell Size for X and Y. Then it is just a matter of configure the Spacing values and the amount of columns for icons in the Constraint field, according to its size.

A good way to see how this works without need to playe the game, is copy and paste the gameObject Inventory Icon inside content many times to see how the slots are placed according to the configuration.

Here a capture:

upload_2018-6-7_15-32-36.png

Tell me if this works for you or not.

I have checked the hovercraft. To change the flying height, go to the engine list and configure the field Max Height to what you need (but with high values it can be more difficult to drive).

upload_2018-6-7_15-20-50.png

Mmm I didn't think about use the teleports as a way to move from interior to exterior, really interesting.

I will add a screen fade option to use them too (making the fade system general, so it can be called by any other element that could need it) and options for sound and delay to use the fade screen properly.

For the floating health bar, go to the Health inspector, open Settings and remove the field Enemy Health Slider.

Like that, the health bar won't be used. I will add a boolean field to just enable or disable if the slider is added or not, to be more easy to know and configure it.

upload_2018-6-7_15-37-28.png

Regards.

Wetw0rx, Mark_01 and neodotca like this.
  30. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Thanks, dude. I'm having a ton of fun tinkering with the kit.
    Teleporting the player to an interior is actually a pretty good technique. If done cleanly, the player won't even notice (like with an airlock or some transition room). In some cases though the teleport/fade/delay/sound works fine.
    Since the teleporters were just there chilling I figured why not.
    I've hidden some deactivated interiors under the terrain and just activate them and teleport the player to them when needed. Works better than I thought before I tried it.
    This allows me to have complex level layouts without killing performance and give the maps added depth that isn't immediately obvious to the player adding to the feeling of discovery through exploration. One of the main reasons a small game map like Morrowind felt so large was all the little entrances that lead to cool secret areas...

sr388 likes this.
  31. sr388

sr388

That is a very nice technique (and very good example of a game) to play with detailed zones and manage perfomance.

Another element that I want to try as an improvement for the save system is the load of scenes asynchronously (something I haven't tried before, so I am curious to see how perfomance goes there). With this and, like you said, elments well placed, the level can load and unload elements without player noticing it.

Also, the first version of the point and click system is finished, I will add a few more elements and options (to allow to have a control very dinamyc and fast and another more old school) and show how it looks tomorrow.

Next after that will be the top down view system, which barely will need a few additions to work, since most elements are already present.

Regards.

neodotca, tgamorris76 and Wetw0rx like this.
  32. whatbus2000

whatbus2000

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried what you said to change the size of the inventory boxes and it does work but the icon pictures stay the same size and therefore do not fit anymore.

sr388 likes this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Glad to hear it works. Once you have configure the slot itself, it only needs to customize the elements inside of it.

For this, just open slot in the hierarchy and configure the size and position of texts elements and icons on it as you need. Make sure all the copies of the slot you made in the previous step are removed and don't delete the original slot inside the inventory.

Here a capture of these elements:

upload_2018-6-8_14-41-24.png

The good part of this, is that you only need to configure that slot as you want, all them, the rest of the slots will have the same style and aspect (same is done for the rest of the dynamic menus of the asset).

Tell me if this works or not.

Regards.

Bob3000 likes this.
  34. Bob3000

Bob3000

Sr388 you are a hardworking dude. But just like one of the above posts said, you should be adding fewer new features & focus on the few things that your users really want, plus polish what is already there. I totally understand your ambitions of creating an all in one GKC, but that is really time consuming & judging by the quality of other specialized addons, its almost impossible for you to build these components into GKC & maintain each & every part of them to be competitive.

For example if you were going to do streaming like you mentioned above, there are a few Really polished & well done addons already exist. None of them are expensive, with years of feedback & bug fixing already.

Personally I have gone through many development cycles & completed many games over the years both for studios & personal. No one use version 1.0 nor the latest version of anything. All tools must be as polish & time tested as possible. Sometimes simpler is better.

I have been switching to GKC for around half a year, I like it despite there are some bugs (none game breaking) which I will compile a list later. I will be using streaming but will be a plugin, will find out without your integration whether it works smoothly or not. I will probably using one of the best Quest addon out there as well.

GKC has the least integrated tools of all major controllers from what I saw, again that has something to do with you want to build your own, but you know? Your can sell more copies & GKC can be equally as influential if its compatible with lots of major existing tools. And you don't have to work as hard.

sr388 likes this.
  35. whatbus2000

whatbus2000

the icon resets to the default size no matter what I do once I play the level. The slot panel is resized but the icon image stays the original size. Somehow the icon rect transform element is being reset when playing.

36. sr388

sr388

I totally understand you and I couldn't agree more with you.

I know that for some elements, there are already solutions out there with years of updates and a community and I know that for a few elements, it won't be possible to make my own elements unless I spend a lot of time of them.

It is just I want to cover some elements that I consider basic and must have in most of games, making this asset as solid and full as possible.

Since some time ago to right now, I have actually stopped to add new whole systems to the asset, to focus in build elements, options and necessary functions to the already present systems, along with make improvements and fix any previous bug (also, I always appreciate any bug report to fix it asap).

Integrations are always in my mind and I really hate that I haven't started with them yet, but I wanted to take my time with GKC first to cover some very important elements first (and I am very close to reach that point).

Of course, integrations with most used and known assets will be started at some point between this and next year, so users could use the option they prefer, to use my solution or other systems.

One question about this, what do you mean by streaming?

The size of the icon is not configure in any part of the code. Maybe the scroll rect or some function of the UI is reseting the size. If you want, we can make a quick teamviewer session to see why that is happening and fix it. Tell me by PM when you are able to connect.

Btw, the point and click system has been improved and polished. Tomorrow, I will make a video and some gifs about it (it is a little late in my country right now xd).

Also, a little of offtopic, the e3 starts tomorrow (though the first one is EA, which is a little meh, but excited for the rest). Anyone hyped for conferences?

Regards.

Bob3000 and neodotca like this.
  37. neoshaman

neoshaman

As a counter argument:

If you had followed the thread for a while, you would know that GKC is kind of an accident, it's true purpose was to learn making game without to actually make one (as in system but no strict gameplay, art direction and such).

The reason it's all in one isn't because the primary ambition is to make the most complete asset to be competitive, but to explore as much as possible. Which is why it's the least integrated and also why it has so much hardwork put into it, making feature in the asset IS literally "the game" and his "dream game", and request are just additional quests and challenges. Selling the asset has been a nice bonus on top, even though selling is still a good consideration he has. Plus the complexity has to make think about how to manage it and find elegant solution to make more with less effort, which is a great teaching lesson when making complex game.

So while the advice make sense, it might also undercut the motivation that make is asset unique. I mean, we have other options for specialize depth, it's great to also have an offering that have some breadth too. If he follow your advice, it will also mean his asset will just evolve to be just like any other similar asset with no differentiation, it will converge toward similar functionality, and we already have those asset.

The thing is that there is an advantage to have an all in one, even if it is not as in depth that specialize asset, it also mean you don't have the hassle to integrate things that weren't meant to work together, and break when one author change (or worse leave) his approach. This is something that many users has been explicitly satisfied with in this very thread, and most users has asked him to continue in this direction. And a lot of complementary asset are designed to work irrespective of implementation.

Of course he can always settle, if he want, when he get bore or overwhelm. But I think that the best advice is to encourage him doing that as long as it works and pay itself.

Another benefit of all in one is that it's very good for prototyping before moving to stronger solution, which some user has explicitly said they do. Anyone who made a game know how hard it is to start from scratch and have to think about stuff that are irrelevant to the fun of the game, but has to be done anyway, just to see if an idea work. Having ready made integrated system that just works, even with some flaws, make it much easier to test said ideas without the hassle.

So I think that laying down the bug list is the best thing right now.

Or offer advice or help how to make stuff more mangeable when he get stuck by the complexity. I think he appreciate deep deconstruction of features, that make him more efficient at implementation, or make him understand things more, or do less effort for more effect.

sr388 likes this.
  38. Bob3000

Bob3000

Same thing you said before but with different term. A memory streaming system. to stream game from a disc, to create endless game world without loading screen. I don't want to name any assets but sure you know what I'm talking about.

Wetw0rx is right, but just playing around existing GKC teleportal, I was able to go in & out of interior & exterior zones, with an airlock, and a free script unloading./reloading an entire world from memory on the fly is already possible. Really cool.

Neoshaman I understand, I am not discouraging Sr388 or you guys, I wish I have the ability to influence the trajectory of projects by a simple forum post. Nah. You guys already know what you are doing & keep doing what you like. I'm just a customer asking for possible integration support.

As I said, our team is not just playing around with a prototyping tool, & you don't want to be labeled simply as only good for prototyping, after extensive testing, GKC is good for production, as good as some of the stuff I came across in some AAA studios with even more features (that most users never use), yet lack some critical features that allow people actually make a game (a system to upgrade player/weapon attributes, & the ability to design mission/quests), these are all planed I know.

But for reasons that some of us that been through development hell can relate to, & assessments that we make after surviving that. Our team will likely use GKC with a few other tools, by then I'll ask for support when our team run into integration problems (lots of stuff we can hack on our side), the result of successful integration then will be part of GKC that will benefit all GKC customers.

sr388 likes this.
  39. sr388

sr388

Thanks @neoshaman for your response, indeed, better explained than mine haha (sometimes, it cost me a lot to say or write what I really want to tell, even in my language), so it helps a lot to show my point, thanks again for that :)

I forgot to say some of the above reasons of this asset in my previous message, like the learning tool, not only for me, but for any people who want to see how a part of a game could be done. Also, another reason of this asset to be made is to have in the same project all the elements necessary for a game, spending less time (and money) in getting different assets to work together (which a lot are already prepared but some of them don't).

I am repeating myself over what @neoshaman already said, but my point is that, one objective of this asset is to also have integration with other useful solutions, while at the same time, the already present system in GKC are improved, so one day, could be as good (or as close as possible) as other individual assets. Like that, an user could choose what to use, an already included system in this asset or an external solution.

Don't get my wrong, I appreciate your comment @Bob3000 and you can be sure I would like to have already most known assets already integrated in the asset, but I wanted to give me some time first to actually understand better how a game works, so I can give a proper solution to every aspect of it.

Oh, I see, I didn't realize about that way to name that process. I totally understand you want to use other solutions for streaming to load levels with other systems, since I haven't even started to try asynchronous load yet. But it is something I want to try and implement in GKC aswell, and make it as good as possible.

Of course, it is literally impossible that all people are always agree with the decisions about this asset, and this is good, because it is allow to see other opinions, suggestions, etc... and make me realize of things that in other way, maybe I wouldn't do ever.

Also, at the same time, tell me about this allows me to see your interest for this asset, so thanks for both things. You can be sure all the feedback in this forum is always taken into account.

And also, integrations won't be ignored, they will come in a near future, and of couse, if you start to work on your own integrations and need help, I am here for you guys.

Regards.

40. Razmot

Razmot

If you implement your own asynchronous level streaming, maybe it would be worth it to make a version of GKC that require Unity 2018 and it's new safe multithreaded job system.

Actually I think it would be very good to (at a point) have 2 editions of GKC :
    - Long Term Support that works on 5.4 and has not too much crazy features
    - And bleeding edge that needs the latest unity and has all the crazy features you want (on your private gitlab for customers only so you dont even loose time doing builds)

sr388 likes this.
  41. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick progress update.

The point and click system gets better and better, adding some general options to work with all the elements which interact with the player and vice versa, and at the same time, making a very simple but effective code, with almost not dependencies.

The player uses a modified navmesh system from the AI, but in this case the control between regular and navmesh is changed ingame according to the point and click option configured in the locked camera system.

Also, contains options to configure info to be shown of an pressed element and buttons to enable and disable that element and to distinguish between a surface pressed to move the player and an object to interact. It also checks if a pressed position is the regular ground or a wall, so the player will move only in case is a navigable position.

Of course, like the rest of game modes, it allows to be changed smoothly between any control or view, for example from free first person to locked point and click, and vice versa. Here some gifs of this transition:

point and click2.gif

point and click3.gif

point and click5.gif

And here a video showing how the system works in the mansion scene.

There are a few things to polish yet, but everything works really good.

Of course, I am starting to check info about the new job system for unity and seems really promising (since it was presented in that crazy demo with armies, I was very curious about it and also, for the last update of GKC, the asset was uploaded also for unity 2018, so it is a matter of start to try it).

Abou the 2 editions, any reason for version 5.4? Maybe there are people or teams that still using unity 5 yet, right?

I still need to upload the project to some git repository and share it with buyers, to allow those users to add custom solutions and any other element they see relevant, and this will be done, you can be sure :)

Regards.

42. Razmot

Razmot

I said 5.4 but it could be 5.6.x - yeah some games are in production on 5.x and can't risk upgrading or just cant spend the money on upgrading.

Looking forward to this git repo :)

sr388 likes this.
  43. Mark_01

Mark_01

Unity version 5 was offered as a permanent license. Only companies can write off subscriptions on taxes
    as the cost of doing business.

sr388 likes this.
  44. sr388

sr388

Yeah, it makes sense, though maybe some of these games progress is so advance that they won't use new controller assets on them.

Anyway, yeah, maybe some day I can upload a version for unity 5 again and keep the rest in unity 2017 and above.

Uhum, I see, makes sense too. Thanks for telling me.

Btw, yesteday, I started to add the options to configure the top down view (which will only need a little code addition to work) and the main structure will be finished today. I want to achieve something similar to classic games where the walls between player and camera fade to allow to see better and transitions from room to room.

I have been checking the game signalis to work on similar style (I advice you to see its development on twitter, seems really promising, chek the account LastStarfarer and antihelios_ for it). These two gifs belong to that game:

signalis2.gif

signalis.gif
    Also, it will have the same horizontal aim system as above (it will be easier to configure, vertical aim for 2.5d and horizontal aim to top down style game).

Of course, it will include options to make it simpler.

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  45. neodotca

neodotca

The top paid assets right now in the asset store (category "complete projects") are "UnitZ Battlegrounds" and "uSurvival" there is clearly a trend here with the multiplayer battle royal mode. For sure, because of games like "Fortnite" and PlayerUnknown's", even the next "Black Ops 4" will have that mode. Maybe you should not wait and jump on the train as it's going full speed... that could increase your sales... maybe.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    sr388 likes this.
  46. sr388

sr388

Hi, sorry for not answer before, the conferences of yesterday ended very late.

Yeah, I have seen the store and its trends in the last days/weeks (I check the store everyday, it is a little addiction and for work reasons xd). Lately, these trends have changed very quickly.

I would like to work on multiplayer and in fact, I am making all the necessary steps in the asset for it. My objective is start with it in 2-3 months, once some important stuff is added and other elements are improved.

I know the easiest thing now would be jump on the train like you said, and a lot of people is waiting for multiplayer in GKC, but I need a little more of time and make things properly.

Also, I am very curious to see the multiplayer working on the asset, since not only regular modes will be added, but all kind of crazy mechanics could be used for it.

Btw, yesterday, working on the top down view, I saw that a laser in the weapon would show better where the player will shoot, so while I finish this view, the attachment system for weapons will be started today (and it should a matter of days to have it done).

Regards.

neodotca likes this.
  47. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

how will weapon attachments work ui-wise?

and how customizable is the inventory system when it comes to slots specifically for primary, secondary, helmet, etc.?

48. sr388

sr388

My idea for the initial system is to work like crysis, where the weapon is placed in front of the camera and then you can select every attachment part available in the current weapon.

1.jpg

For now, those attachments wouldn't appear in the inventory, but just in the weapon itself, allowing to configure the same weapon with different avaiable attachments (for example, you can pick up a rifle with an option to use a silencer, and another with a sight and a bigger magazine).

For another update, this system will be expanded to allow to pickup attachment and carrying them in the inventory, allowing more ways to select them into different weapons.

The current weapon attachment system is done at 70%.

About the customization for inventory, what do you mean for primay and secundary? the attachments? For now, these won't be managed for the inventory.

About the helmet, for that case, you mean the armor/cloth system, right? That will be managed by a secondary window in the inventory, where the model of the player will be shown there and you will be able to select the armor for separated parts of the body, like legs, upper body, arms and head (and even more parts, like feet, hands, etc..).

In that window, the stats of the player will be shown as well, according to what the player wears in that moment.

The customization of the slots allows to change its size, position of elements, colors, etc ... (all what UI allows) and how the grid is show, for example, number of files and rows, space between slots, etc... About the info that contains, for now, it is current amount of that object, name, the icon/capture of it and if it is equipped or not.

Would you like that slots contain any other relevant info? Tell me about it, suggestions are welcome.

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  49. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Well guys, I've been to the top of the mountain and it is good lol. E3 was really good this year and the AAA studios are rolling out the big guns. You can tell they've taken notice of what the indie market is doing and adjusted. Also, sci fi seems to be the flavor of the month. Obviously, we can't compete with their level of quality in some regards but because their dev cycles are so much longer with huge teams, it's hard for them to keep up with emerging trends and "ride the wave" so to speak.
    I've been greatly inspired by this year's E3 and I'm excited for the next gen of games.
    My favorites are Cyberpunk 2077 (of course), Beyond good and Evil 2 (amazing) and The last of Us 2 (holy fighting animations, batman). Others like Days Gone, Biomutant and Ghost of Tsushima are worth checking out too.
    Bethesda has gone totally Hollywood but I'm curious about Starfield.
    Last but not least, Hideo Kojima's "Death Stranding" looks like a work of art even though I have no idea what the hell is going on. I trust in Kojima's genius though and I can't wait to see more.
    As soon as my eyes adjust from so much post processing, particles and animations, it's back to work. I'd like to see a GKC made title out there someday :)

50. neodotca

neodotca

When i move the mouse fast, i can see the inside of the arms.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      90.6 KB
      Views: