Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

3.5 Transparency Performance Hit (Android)

Discussion in 'Android' started by sawfish, Feb 16, 2012.

1. sawfish

sawfish

I've noticed a significant performance hit on transparent objects (Alpha Blended, Additive Culled or Vertex Lit). I've only tried these three, as they were the ones in the project already.

Part of the problem was EZ GUI, changing it from Vertex Lit to Vertex Lit (Fast) recovered a good portion of the framerate lost in the upgrade, but it is still noticably slower to render than with 3.4.

Is this because of the "Fixed incorrect rendering order when using transparent shader with ParticleRenderer and MeshRenderer." or is it something else?

Trail Renderers seem to be noticably more resource intensive as well.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I believe this may affect iOS as well - noticed my projects were slower but was assured that it was all being dealt with.

3. sawfish

sawfish

Dropped from 55fps to 25-30fps on this project which has EZ GUI and some lasers visible.

Changing EZ GUI to use Vertex Lit (Fast) brought it back up to ~40.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It shouldn't be slower in 3.5 - it should if anything, gain speed. Did you submit a case number for unity to peek at?

5. sawfish

sawfish

Not yet...

Will do, though.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There's no point in band aids to try and get speed back up. Speed shouldn't drop in the first place :) I am 100% sure unity don't intend this version to be slower ... repro case really helps :)

7. woko

woko

Has this been fixed yet? I tried exporting my project to Android, and rendering speed of transparent objects (with a simple unlit shader) is abysmal - more than 10ms on Nexus S for objects covering 20% of the screen in 2 drawcalls! I sure as hell hope this isn't normal behavior...

8. criistii22

criistii22

Hey guys. Did you manage to find a solution to this issue? I have just updated to Unity 3.5 and have the exact same issue. The only difference is I am using GuiManager2.

What about the workaround you suggested, any chance you could post a sample shader? I have no experience in writing shaders.