Search Unity

3.4 Multi-scene physics pool table demo scene

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Player7, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Player7

Player7

Does anyone have the example of this scene...I don't really do a lot with physics but that scene would be a good help.

2. sohojoe

sohojoe

3. vonWolfehaus

vonWolfehaus

It's been a while, has anyone been able to find the source for that pool demo? The one in this blog post. I was thinking of making a pool game prototype and the predictive trajectory looks exactly what I'm looking for.

4. Player7

Player7

I know right... its like and here is video example of the end result...oh what's that you wanted to know how to do that yourself well too bad. We can't provide an example scene setup with source… see if you can figure it out?

petey likes this.
  5. petey

petey

This could totally save me right now, does anyone have any clues on how they did it?

6. Player7

Player7

Wish they had just shared the demo scene that was in the video...done, instead months later...

7. Player7

Player7

I wonder if the documentation .. nvm probably not

8. petey

petey

Yeah it's really frustrating that someone had a working scene there last year, but you have to waste time searching all over for little scraps of information here and there to piece together whats going on. I feel this is my experience learning anything in Unity these days sadly.

Anyway, I found this -

Also I don't think it's going to be that much use for me because I think you basically have to duplicate your scene and I think that'll create problems for my game and be a huge pain to manage.

vonWolfehaus likes this.
  9. Player7

Player7

This, exactly

petey likes this.
  10. vonWolfehaus

vonWolfehaus

Years later I found it here deep in a Unity repo as a demo for DOTS. It's more polished than the video of that blog post and very useful. They keep it updated as new Unity versions are released, so it's pure gold.

petey likes this.
  11. vonWolfehaus

vonWolfehaus

I solved this by attaching a script to each GO that needs to be in the other physics scene which will automatically add a clone of itself to that scene. For objects that get removed, you can also handle that in the same script since it already has a reference to the clone. This way I never have to manage the physics scene myself.

12. petey

petey

Thanks @vonWolfehaus, I might have to take another look at this!