Search Unity

Feedback 3.3.0 Startup Animation

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by FuguFirecracker, Sep 1, 2022.

1. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

Get rid of it. I don't have time for that.

2. RARgames

RARgames

Or at least add option to disable it.

3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

As nice as the animation is, I much prefer to not see it.
    Just load the hub and load it fast.
    At the moment its already slow loading in my apple silicon, and with the new animation seems even slower

KAJed likes this.
  4. qmqz

qmqz

Yeah, this is a bit of an annoying change. It'd be cool if it didn't hinder me from using the stupid hub that I never wanted to use to begin with.

0/10

luispedrofonseca and KAJed like this.
  5. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

Yes.
    I rolled back to 3.2; and lo' and behold the startup time was as atrocious as 3.3. I just never really paid attention until they put that loading animation there.

This is not the way.

The issue is that the hub is doing a whole bunch of background work before it allows one to access one's projects on disk. Stop that ... Show me my projects and continue on with your update || license || whatever checks in the background.

Slapping a loading animation there as a 'fix' for poorly implemented initialization just seems sooooo lazy.

Also, when are we getting folders ?

6. Henrarz

Henrarz

So we still can't install a matching Unity version from Unity Hub (a feature that existed before, but was removed because some idiot decided to do so), but we have a new fancy startup animation?

Modern software development is a joke, FFS Unity.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    Thaina and RARgames like this.
  7. KAJed

KAJed

Who okay'd this?

Henrarz and mattst_bbb like this.
  8. kanonji

kanonji

Okay to see the splash screen on start-up.
    Bad to see it on opening the Hub from task tray.
    It takes 2 or 3 extra seconds on every opening.

9. Wriggler

Wriggler

Agreed. Please kill this animation. It's a massive backwards step in terms of usability. I find it frustrating to use the Unity Hub now, and that's not what we want here.

Thanks,

Ben

10. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Lol, it's the Reload-Assets progress bar all over again. Nobody notices how much time something takes until it's shown. Sometimes it's hard to be an UI dev xD

About Apple Silicon, how about Apple does not reinvent the wheel and forces everyone to adapt to what they do? >_>

11. Onigiri

Onigiri

How the usability will be improved by removing the animation? The startup time will be the same it's just animation lol

12. Spy-Master

Spy-Master

So you’re saying don’t make significant improvements to personal computer power efficiency and choose to move away from a bloated ISA? Bad take, mate.

rmb303 likes this.
  13. REDACT3D_

REDACT3D_

Did anyone compare the actual boot times?
    I wonder if it is the same overall boot time but plays the animation over what would normally just be a loading screen?

feels like it animates for .2 seconds over here.
    not long but immediately noticed the change

14. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

Yeah, you're missing the point.

Load time too long; solution? Put an animation there...
    How about fixing the loading time instead.

15. Onigiri

Onigiri

Make thread about fixing loading time then not about removing animation

16. FuguFirecracker

FuguFirecracker

17. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  18. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

+1 for removing the animation. please remove this, we all have enough frustrations and delays doing development.

Animation it serves no purpose and it locks the hub up until done -you can't even drag the window to a side.

RARgames and KAJed like this.
  19. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Wonder whether the delay people experience is because of having a potato computer, having a really huge number of projects (like hundreds) or the projects are on slow (or sleeping) drives like a NAS?

Have timed the animation with a stopwatch on my 3900X and 20 projects on an SSD and it's just around 1.6 seconds!

In every case the animation itself very most likely does not prolong any delay that wasn't there, that would make no sense.
    Something else is afoot.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  20. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

See the thing is if it makes it "looks" slow to the user then it is slow (to the user). Doesn't matter what a stop watch says. And this I think makes it is a poor design choice.

It has a lot to do with perception. This is the same reason why we use a loading bar in a game instead of having people stare at an animating logo for 1 min -it helps people perceive time differently and also communicate more information to the user.

Perception of time is far more important than actual time elapsed form a UX point of view, if that makes any sense.

21. spacefrog

spacefrog

Jesus - i do not mind having the animation on hub launch, but have it when restoring the hub from the tray icon area is totally too mutch !
    In the meantime i switch back to 3.2.0 immediately ...

22. kanonji

kanonji

I compared the case with and without animation.
    With animation, it takes about 4 or 5 extra seconds than without animation.(almost the length of the animation)
    In other words, extra time is spent for the animation.

UnityHub 3.3.0 plays the animation after storing it in the task tray with the close button in the upper right corner, but not plays if it is stored with "Hide the Hub to Windows system tray when Unity Editor opens".

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  23. Ryiah

Ryiah

Are you restarting your computer between tests? Because the first time I load the hub is around 4 to 5 seconds total but every subsequent load is only 1 to 2 seconds total. Like @DragonCoder I'm on a high end system and I have a fiber connection to the Internet.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  24. mgear

mgear

checked the anim css source in hub,
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. .hub-logo--animated{position:absolute;width:1024px;z-index:1}.delayed-fade-in{animation-delay:.7s;animation-duration:.4s;animation-fill-mode:forwards;animation-name:fadeIn;animation-timing-function:ease-in-out;opacity:0}@keyframes fadeIn{to{opacity:1}}@keyframes fadeOutAndHide{to{opacity:0;visibility:hidden}}

DragonCoder likes this.
  25. kanonji

kanonji

No. I did not restart computer.

Here is what I did.
    1. Start-up UnityHub. UnityHub plays the animation. (this is okay for me)
    2. Open a project(Start-up Unity Editor) and UnityHub is stored with "Hide the Hub to Windows system tray when Unity Editor opens".
    3. Open UnityHub from the task tray. UnityHub does not play the animation. This takes less than 1 second.
    4. Close UnityHub with the close button in the upper right corner.
    5. Open UnityHub from the task tray. UnityHub plays the animation. This takes 4 or 5 seconds.

Ryiah likes this.
  26. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

True, the first start indeed takes additional time, interesting. However that is not during the animation, that one stays at 1-2s for me no matter what.
    I'd assume the time diff of the first start is some smart caching either through Windows or the SSD itself. Would be interesting to test again after a couple of hours of working and loading other data.

27. mgear

mgear

tested removing everything from that loader page,
    no difference in time. (maybe it feels a bit faster though)

original index.html,
    removed that base64 encoded mp4 video and header analytics stuff:
    upload_2022-9-28_22-58-45.png

*but actual page refresh/load seems to be quite constant on my pc, ~1.7s
    upload_2022-9-28_23-36-46.png

** scripting profiler view, for page reload
    upload_2022-9-29_9-33-50.png

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  28. kanonji

kanonji