Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Script Inspector 3 - World's Fastest IDE for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Flipbookee, Jun 2, 2012.

?

What would you like to see in the next update?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Line numbers

140 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Code folding

234 vote(s)
    61.7%
  3. More color schemes

43 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. Customizable color schemes

71 vote(s)
    18.7%
  5. Search functionality

152 vote(s)
    40.1%
  6. Lower price :D

104 vote(s)
    27.4%
  7. No thanks, it's fine as it is :)

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

This first post used to be a short presentation of the initial version of the Script Inspector, released on Unity Asset Store in May 2012... The Script Inspector has evolved tremendously since that time, and after suggestions by some forum members, I've decided to completely replace the post and present you with the Script Inspector (currently named Script Inspector 3) in its current state of development.

IMPORTANT WARNING - Beware of the cheap Script Inspector 3 clone currently available on the Asset Store! Si3 code has been shamelessly stolen by a pirate and republished on the Asset Store. The code is 99% identical to Si3, thus it has everything you'll find in Si3 (except the changes done in the last year and a half), but obviously has no future and will be taken down soon.

Script Inspector 3 was one of the finalists for UNITY AWARDS 2015 in the Asset Store category!!! :cool:
    https://awards.unity.com/archive/2015

Latest Hot News: Script Inspector 3, version 3.1.5 got just released on Asset Store!

This version includes some handy new features, fixes, and support for the Hot Reload asset!

Version 3.1.2 had one million fixes!
    Okay, maybe a little less fixes than that, but who would count?

Version 3.1.0 adds code folding for #region blocks in C#, integrates with the CPU Module of the Unity Profiler window to let you go to a script method by simply double-clicking it, uses 4 times less memory, and parses and analyses C# code 5 times faster!

Version 3.0.29 adds full support for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters! :cool:

Version 3.0.22 brought full support for newly introduced Assembly Definitions in Unity 2017.3

With version 3.0.19f, Script Inspector 3 has strengthened its position as the fastest IDE on Earth for programming in Unity :cool:. Previously with version 3.0.18, Si3 has taken from its predecessor this most prestigious title in the world of IDEs, Si3 version 3.0.17, exceeding it in performance by up to 30 times!!! :eek::D

See Si3 in action:

Thanks for all your likes, subscribes, shares, and comments!!!
    :D

Script Inspector 3
    Version available in Asset Store - 3.1.5

Asset Store Link: http://u3d.as/2ZC

Si3 List of Features:
    (hmm, this list may need to be updated...)

Advanced Code & Text Editor
    - C#, UnityScript, Boo, shaders, and text assets
    - Rich keyboard and mouse support
    - Edit in the Inspector tab or in Si3 tabs
    - Endless Undo/Redo buffers
    - Word-wrap
    - Navigation to cursor history
    - Find / Quick Find / Find in Files
    - Replace in Files with preview, selections, and Global Undo/Redo
    - Go to line
    - Auto-indent
    - Auto-closing braces
    - Matching braces highlighting
    - Tabs navigation
    - Tabs manipulation
    - Auto-save and compile on entering Editor play mode
    - Auto-unified line ending style
    - Easy switching to external IDE

C# Automatic Code Completion
    - Unbelievably fast
    - Context sensitive
    - CamelCase filtering
    - Method parameters hints
    - Completions history
    - Code suggestions

C# Code Refactoring
    - Code snippets
    - Code generators
    - Unity message handlers (Magic methods)
    - Auto-generating override methods
    - Auto-resolve types by adding using statement or namespace qualifier

Help Integration, Code Hints, and More
    - Code hints for symbol under mouse cursor
    - Go to Unity Scripting Reference
    - Go to MSDN .Net Reference
    - Short info for Unity symbols in hints
    - Related delegate signature info
    - Value inspection of static members
    - Value inspection of non-static members in MonoBehaviours and ScriptableObjects
    - Execute static method under cursor
    - Execute non-static method under cursor on scene objects

Incremental C# Parsing
    - Handcrafted and optimized for speed
    - File size is irrelevant
    - Advanced error recovery
    - Syntax errors highlighting

Incremental C# Semantic Analysis
    - Implicitly typed local variables
    - Query expressions
    - Generic types and methods
    - Type inference for generic methods
    - Implicitly typed lambda parameters
    - Extension methods
    - Partial types (in 3.0.6)
    - Contextual keywords
    - Method overloads
    - Semantic Highlighting
    - Read/Write reference highlighting
    - Semantic errors highlighting

Code Navigation

- Find All References
    - Code navigation toolbar (C# only)
    - Go to symbol definition (C# only)
    - Go to definition for .Net symbols (C# only - uses .Net Reference Source)
    - Navigation to #region (C# only)
    - Stack-trace navigation to console log entries

Source Control
    - Integrated with Unity’s built-in source control providers
    - Seamlessly integrated with P4Connect if installed
    - Automatic check-out before editing

Customization:
    - Variable font sizes
    - Top 5 programmer's fonts (or add your own)
    - 15 Dark and light color themes (or add your own)
    - Optional line numbers
    - Optional track changes indicator
    - Many other options in the Preferences window

Below is the old description... It will be updated soon!

Scripts, Shaders, and Text Assets editing inside the Unity Editor!!!
    Script Inspector 2 is an advanced editor for C#/UnityScript/Boo Scripts, Shaders, and Text assets embedded right inside the Unity Editor! Implemented as an Editor Extension that naturally fits to the existing Editor environment, Script Inspector 2 enhances the workflow of the programmers offering them a completely new experience. Ability to edit code inside Unity not only saves time to open the scripts for editing (which Script Inspector 2 does instantly) but in most cases it also eliminates the need to run an additional applications for code editing, which saves the working memory and processing power for the most important thing - running Unity and development of your project.

Script Inspector 2 will never ask you to "reload the solution" or run another instance of the external IDE, wasting your time and playing with patience until you forget why you actually wanted to edit that script! ;)

Script Inspector 2 will automatically save all modified scripts before entering Editor Play Mode! No more need to "Save All", switch to Unity, wait for compile to finish, check for compile errors, and then enter Play Mode - with Script Inspector 2 you'll only have to hit Ctrl+P or the Play button and that's it!

The latest version of Script Inspector 2 in addition takes the advantage of being integrated inside the Editor, offering features that may never become available with external editors, such as opening component scripts from GameObjects and Prefabs, or Shaders from Materials, or the ability to walk up the call stack from console log entries. These are only a few examples of features using that advantage which are available now, and more of these will be coming with future versions...

Script Inspector 2 (formerly known as Script Inspector) has been under development since May 2012, continuously evolving with new features, while always trying to maintain its quality to highest standards. The following is a summary of main features in version 2.1:

• Editing C#, UnityScript, and Boo scripts in the Inspector view or in dedicated windows (Si2 tabs)
    • Editing text assets in the Inspector view or in Si2 tabs
    • Editing shader assets in Si2 tabs
    • Extensive support for editing with keyboard and mouse
    • Unlimited and independent Undo/Redo buffers per asset
    • Track changes indicator, line numbers, current line highlighting
    • Fast syntax highlighting for all script types and ShaderLab
    • Web URL and email address recognition in text assets and code comments automatically converted into hyperlinks for single-click following
    • Search functionality
    • SI Console window which has exactly the same functionality as the Console window extended with:
      • opening shaders in Si2 tabs to locate compile errors
      • opening scripts in Si2 tabs to locate compile errors and warnings
      • opening scripts in Si2 tabs to locate runtime errors, warnings and log entries
      • browsing the call stack and navigation to caller script locations
    • Menu option to create new text asset
    • Word Wrap feature, optional for code and for text
    • Optionally opens script, shaders, and text assets on double-click from the Project view
    • Context menu on components in the Inspector view to open their script in a Si2 tab
    • Context menu on materials in the Inspector view to open their shader in a Si2 tab
    • Opens script, shader, and text assets drag-dropped on Si2 tabs
    • Opens shaders assigned to materials drag-dropped on Si2 tabs
    • Opens component scripts used in GameObjects or Prefabs drag-dropped on Si2 tabs
    • Option to choose one of the eight available color schemes for code and text
    • Option to choose the font used for displaying content
    • Font size controls (for dynamic fonts only)
    • Keyboard shortcuts to control Si2 tabs

Interested? Continue reading from this post in this thread for more details, or check it in Unity Asset Store https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/3535

$ss1.png
    $ss2.png
    $ss3.png
    $ss5.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
  2. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

more screenshots... :)
    $ss6.png
    $ss7.png
    $Shader-Monokai.png

$ShaderLab.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. Yusuf-AKDAG

Yusuf-AKDAG

I dont know how I missed that, but this one is great component and exactly what i needed.
    Thanks man. Going to buy that right now! :D

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is interesting, but can I actually edit the script and save it in the inspector? That would be great. I hate having to do a small tweak, and have to switch over to monodevelop (half the time it wants to unload and reload the project!).

5. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Yusuf: Thanks dude! I hope you'll enjoy it :)

@Jaimi: No, you can only view the code and follow the hyperlinks. But that's a great idea actually! I would also love to do such small tweaks inside the inspector. I'll try to do something for the next update...

6. Lypheus

Lypheus

I've been contemplating an in-unity script editor too, love this widget Flip - shows some great insight on your part and really makes a difference looking over a script in the context of the scene/gameobject you're interested in - sold :) !

7. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks Lypheus!!!

8. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

YAY!!! Script Inspector is the most popular extension in Asset Store->Editor Extensions->Utilities and second best in Asset Store->Editor Extensions! :D

Thank you guys! Thanks a lot!!!

9. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, not anymore... But at least it's number 9 Top Selling in its category! Not too bad :)

10. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Cool!
    Script Inspector is again the most popular product and also the top rated product out of all 276 products in Editor Extensions category today!
    I'm flattered :)

11. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I hope you all had a great weekend!

I just wanted to say that I'm going to request the Asset Store to end my Weekend Sale now. Thanks everyone for the support!

If by any reason you've missed this there may still be a couple of hours to use the discount before it gets updated. I'm planning another similar event just before the next big update, hopefully in about 10 days...

Thanks again!

12. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

HOT NEW UPDATE!!!

A new version of the Script Inspector is now available on Unity's Asset Store!

Script Inspector version 1.2 now shows line numbers and can open and find a specific line in your programming IDE.

Enjoy! :)

P.S. More updates coming soon...

13. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

New screenshots:
    $Xcode.png $Oblivion.png

14. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Search functionality coming soon...

15. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Do you think a "Search all scripts" functionality might also be useful?

16. kersk

kersk

Ahh, damn you with your sales and putting the price below my impulse buy threshold. I will resist! :p

17. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

He, he... Resistance is futile... Just wait to see the new version ;)

18. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Just in case some of you did not notice yet, Script Inspector is half price now (till the end of this week). Only $5 instead of $10!

Enjoy!!!

19. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Still on sale... today and tomorrow

20. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

SALE!!! Still 50% off... But it ends today...

21. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, the idea with the ending date of this sale was to go a little beyond asset store madness which was supposed to end two days ago. As the madness happened to end just today, I guess some of you might appreciate if I do the same and extend the sale until tomorrow.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  22. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks everyone for helping Script Inspector climb to Top Paid product number 3 within the Utilities category :)

All the reviews and star ratings will be highly appreciated!

23. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Congratulations to those of you who got the Script Inspector with 50% discount. The normal price of $10 has been requested now, and it will probably take some time before the Asset Store price gets updated, so if anyone is interested to take this advantage there might be still some time to do that.

Thank you so much!

24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

OMG!!! :eek:
    Script Inspector is number 1 most popular editor extension not only under Utilities category, but also within its parent category - Editor Extensions!

I'm flattered :D

25. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

A new version of the Script Inspector is coming soon!

Here's a sneak preview:

$Teaser.png

How's that now? :D

26. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hi Everyone!

New version 1.3 has been submitted and if approved will be available soon in the Asset Store! :D

Enjoy!

27. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Script Inspector 1.3 is available now on Unity's Asset Store!!! :D

You can easily see now how many unique hyperlinks were found in the script and follow any of them from the new toolbar. No need to look for them through the script anymore!

And of course, as promised, there's search functionality.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

28. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hello beautiful looking code lovers!!!

I would like to share a great news:
    Just after releasing the latest update, I am busy working on the next exciting feature for the Script Inspector - Code Editing Inside Unity! This is going to be a FREE UPDATE for all of the current owners of the Script Inspector, i.e. there will be no "pro" version forked out of the existing code. This might not be the wisest thing from a financial perspective, but it will certainly be a great surprise present for all of you who decided to support this product in the early stages.

Thanks!!!

29. nuverian

nuverian

I am very anxiously waiting for the code editing feature, even if basic.

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

Me too - Code editing will be excellent.

31. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Code editing will be coming some time during next month, and yeah, I guess it will be just a basic text editor in the beginning. Code completion and code navigation will probably come right after that...

So far I have working mouse and keyboard controls for cursor movement, but I think that isn't enough for releasing a new version yet. Maybe once I get at least the selection working I may release that as version 1.4 and get one step closer to a fully functional code editor.

I enjoy every moment spent working with Unity and I wish so much I could spend even more time with this, but for now it's only a hobby for me, and sometimes finding spare time is not that easy... Thanks for all your support and nice words, that really helps me keep my motivation high :)

32. nuverian

nuverian

When you get the code editing in, happyly raise the price :p

33. Jaimi

Jaimi

For me personally, I'm only looking for the editing feature for convenience - ie, if I see something wrong or in need of a tweak in a class, I'd just like to quickly change it without going through all the hassle of loading monodevelop or visual studio. I can't speak for everyone, but fwiw, I'm not looking for a full editor replacement - when I'm in coding mode, I'll defintely switch to Visual Studio and edit.

34. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

OK folks, I got the selection functionality working to some extents, with a couple of features still missing - things like full line selection with a single mouse click on line numbers, CTRL+selection or double-click to select full words, and ALT+selection to make a rectangular selection. Then I'll only have to add a copy function so you can at least do something with the selected text (or otherwise the selection functionality would be useless) and I'll release an update to version 1.4 before I continue with the editing feature.

Now the thing is that I've been also working for quite some long time on another great Editor extension (you'll love this one ;)) and I'm very close to publishing it on Asset Store, so I may have to spend this weekend working on that to get it ready before Monday. Then next week I'll continue working on the Script Inspector again and hopefully release 1.4 in a couple of days...

Thanks, and enjoy your weekend! :cool:

35. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I just wanted to show you a quick preview of what I've been working on for quite some time:

$FavoritesTabTeaser.png

This is almost done, and will be submitted to the Asset Store soon. :cool:

36. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Script Inspector version 1.3.1 is available in the Asset Store. It fixes a bug - opening webpage hyperlinks by clicking on code view got broken with the last optimization... Sorry about that :)

37. nuverian

nuverian

new tool looks helpfull, depending on what can you do in the favorites list.
    Thanks for update.

38. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Favorites tab closely mimics the functionality of Hierarchy and Project Tabs, but only shows bookmarked objects. Serves mainly as a helper tool to easily find those assets and scene objects you'd want to work with most frequently. The selection gets synchronized to and from other Unity tabs - Project, Hierarchy, Scene, or Inspector. It also allows dragging items out of the Favorites tab to other windows, opening assets on double-click or Enter key, filtering, etc... It's also designed to work in a team environment where each member would have its own set of favorites, so artists can bookmark different assets and scene object than for example programmers.

However, the Favorites tab is optional and the whole thing may work even without opening it since all bookmarked objects show that start icon next to their names, so finding them in a large project is much easier.

39. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Cool but... Unity 4 already have this.

40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Well, not exactly. Unity 4 Favorites are only for assets, not for scene objects. Also their Favorites are for saving "searches" only, if I understood correctly, which sounds also useful but it's quite different. And there's no visual indication to show whether an asset is already bookmarked or not... My tool offers single-click adding and removing of bookmarks, just single click on the star icon next to object's name. Finally this will be available in only a couple of days while release of Unity 4 may take much longer ;)

41. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks everyone for those great reviews!!! You're awesome, guys :D

42. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Out of amusement, I have made MD Brown:

Code (csharp):
    1.         // Add to private static string[] availableThemes
    2.         "MD Brown",
    4.         // Add to private static Theme[] themes
    5.         // MD Brown
    6.         new Theme {
    7.             background              = Color.white,
    8.             text                    = Color.black,
    9.             comments                = new Color (0.20f, 0.60f, 0.0f),   // Green
    10.             strings                 = new Color (1.0f, 0.14f, 1.0f),    // Pink
    11.             keywords                = new Color (0.98f, 0.23f, 0.01f)// Red
    12.             knownTypes              = new Color (0.58f, 0.04f, 0.0f),   // Dark Red  
    13.             hyperlinks              = Color.blue,                           // Didn't change
    14.             lineNumbers             = new Color (0.50f, 0.40f, 0.28f)// Tan, Dark
    15.             lineNumbersHighlight    = new Color (0.25f, 0.20f, 0.14f)// Tan, Very Dark
    16.             lineNumbersBackground   = new Color (1.0f, 0.80f, 0.56f),   // Tan, Light
    17.             fold                    = new Color (0.20f, 0.60f, 0.0f),   // Green
    18.             searchResults           = new Color32(0xff, 0xe2, 0xb9, 0xff)   // Didn't change
    19.         },
    21.     // Add to about line 990 with other related functions
    22.     [MenuItem("CONTEXT/MonoScript/MD Brown", false, 164)]
    23.     private static void SetStyleMDBrown()
    24.     {
    25.         SelectTheme(4);
    26.     }
    I can't make an exact match, as MD has a more granular definition of "keyword", but this is close enough.

43. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Hey Little Angel, that looks awesome! Thanks for sharing it :)

Now if you don't mind I would be glad to include that in the next update. Let me know if that's fine?

44. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Thanks!

Say - Would there be any chance that Script Inspector could inspect .txt files? I have bumped into a couple of ReadMe files included with various packages I have that include website links and contact emails that would be real sweet if Script Inspector could handle.

(^_^)

Also, for people with Pro skins and who don't want the "MD Brown" on white, here are the numbers for an "MD Brow - Dark"

Code (csharp):
    1. // MD Brown - Dark
    2. new Theme {
    3.     background              = new Color (0.22f, 0.22f, 0.22f)// Dark Grey (Pro)
    4.     text                    = new Color (0.85f, 0.85f, 0.85f)// Light Grey
    5.     comments                = new Color (0.20f, 0.60f, 0.0f),   // Green
    6.     strings                 = new Color (0.85f, 0.15f, 0.85f)// Pink for Pro
    7.     keywords                = new Color (1.0f, 0.33f, 0.01f),   // Red for Pro
    8.     knownTypes              = new Color (0.85f, 0.15f, 0.0f),   // Dark Red for Pro
    9.     hyperlinks              = new Color (0.0f, 0.75f, 0.75f),   // Light Blue
    10.     lineNumbers             = new Color (1.0f, 0.80f, 0.56f),   // Tan, Light
    11.     lineNumbersHighlight    = new Color (0.25f, 0.20f, 0.14f)// Tan, Very Dark
    12.     lineNumbersBackground   = new Color (0.50f, 0.40f, 0.28f)// Tan, Dark
    13.     fold                    = new Color (0.20f, 0.60f, 0.0f),   // Green
    14.     searchResults           = new Color32(0xff, 0xe2, 0xb9, 0xff)
    15. },

45. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I just did a quick test and this is what I got:

$TextInspector.png

First thing I noticed was that it looks much nicer without that header which appears in the Script Inspector just above the toolbar. Unfortunately, even besides all my efforts, I have not found any way how to remove that... yet. There's a virtual function used inside Unity to remove the default header, but since it's declared as internal it is not possible to override it from an external script. :(

Second thing is that all the text is still treated as code, so that apostrophe symbol in line 30 is actually treated as a single quote (beginning of a char literal) which changes the color for the rest of the text. Also the word Editor in line 25 is a Unity type so it's displayed with another color too.

Third thing is that word wrapping in this case would be actually very useful.

So, to answer your question, it is relatively easy to modify this code to make a better inspector for text files. I may include that with the next update too. Thanks for the idea ;)

46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

I forgot to mention that in the same screenshot you can see a new feature, text selection - some characters are selected at lines 2 and 3. This will be available soon in version 1.4. :cool:

47. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I did notice that!

48. andymads

andymads

Purchased yesterday. Very good - love it!

49. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Thanks andymads!!! :)

50. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Just a quick update: Favorites Tab got released today on Asset Store, so I'm working again, since I submitted that a couple of days ago, on Script Inspector. I just finished the keyboard handling for selections and I'm working on mouse handling now. Version 1.4 should be ready really soon! :)