Search Unity

2K Textures A Bit Much?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Neffy, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Neffy

Neffy

I've been curious lately, but would 2K textures be a little bit too much for the average Android device or am I just being paranoid? I'm currently developing a little action RPG that'll consist of gameplay reminiscent of Diablo/Titan Quest/Path of Exile/Torchlight (okay, you get it), and have been using 512 resolution textures and I'm trying to make the graphical fidelity of this little game go up a bit but I don't want to deal with issues like crashing, massive fps drops, and overheating.

Thoughts?

2. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

2k should be fine atm. However, it is still problem for some older devices. Texture max size depends on OpenGL ES version, which is supported by the device. More info ->
    http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/graphics/opengl.html
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...max-texture-size-limitation-safe-texture-size

If you will use 1k texture, you can be sure that all devices will be supported. With 2k texture, you will probably loose about 10-15% of the market (though im not sure about that numbers).
    Its up to you to decide.

3. Neffy

Neffy

I was thinking I could do a base game and then as a DLC (free in-app purchase) that enables a higher-quality version for newer phones.

4. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

You didn't get what I said. Some phones physically will not be able to run your game if it has 2k textures..

5. Neffy

Neffy

Hence, you don't sell the base game with 2k textures. I don't think you got what I said, not the other way around. The 2k textures would be an optional second download for the game.

6. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

Ok. so if someone decides to buy 2k textures (as u want to sell the hd one right?), and it will not work on that particular user's phone, what would u do then? I dont care what is your plan (i.e the base game is not 2k, optional 2k, u sell 2k. and etc). I just said, that it will not work in some phones, and it will be laggy for even more phones...

7. Neffy

Neffy

The additional addon of 2k textures would be free but players would be advised from the beginning that they'd be built for high-end phones. If somebody wanted to use the 2k textures and their phones was too weak, they'd be able to switch back to the 1k textures and play normally.

8. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

This seems like a good plan. I like it.

9. Neffy

Neffy

That's what I said from the beginning XD
    But cool, I'll try to do some tests on my Galaxy S2 and see exactly which phones are capable of it.