Search Unity

2D?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by MarcoGames101, Mar 18, 2017.

1. MarcoGames101

MarcoGames101

Hi, I am hoping to test the 2D capabilities of Unity, and as a Game Maker user transferring over here, after taking a break from any sort of game development for quite a while, I was wondering if there were any other developers using Unity to create 2D games that have some tips for me from the get go.
    Thanks.:);)

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Lots of developers use Unity to create 2D games. I have one (Rocket Plume) that came out just a few weeks ago.

As for tips, pretty much the same advice always applies: take the time to work through some of the many excellent tutorials available under the Learn link at the top of this page. Don't worry too much about whether what you build that way is similar to what you have in mind... the skills you build will all come in useful at some point.

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    MarcoGames101 likes this.
  3. cdarklock

cdarklock

Your game is still 3D, it just has 2D stuff in it and is optimised to look right in 2D. So you're not limited to 2D elements - you can put all kinds of things into the scene. This may, on occasion, create new problems for you to solve... I am currently wrestling with a 3D particle system in my 2D game, which is not wanting to show up in the right place at the right size because it exists in 3D space... but it also opens up a lot of options. Like you can totally just have a 3D model run through the background instead of trying to make a 2D animated sprite from it.

MarcoGames101 likes this.
  4. MarcoGames101

MarcoGames101

Thanks for the advice and congratulations on your release of Rocket Plume!:)

JoeStrout likes this.
  5. MarcoGames101

MarcoGames101

Thanks for reminding me about the 2D in a 3D space thing, I will be sure to use its possibilities to my advantage while developing my games!:);)

JoeStrout likes this.
  6. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

Your Rocket Plume link.... is not what you think it is ;)

Would love to see it for realz linked to your game!

The Real Rocket Plume formerly known as An article about BoTW

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hah hah, how did that happen? Thanks for pointing it out, and taking the time to track down the real page.

I've corrected my original post (to point to the official TouchArcade forum thread, in this case).

SarfaraazAlladin likes this.