Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

2D WebGL Build is very dark, unplayable (linear fog not working?)

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by scarletshark, Dec 8, 2014.

1. scarletshark

scarletshark

I've provided the following image to explain my issue. Just FYI, the WebPlayer build works approximately the same as the image labeled "Unity Editor." My issue is that using the new Unity WebGL build target, I cannot achieve the same level of brightness for my 2D game. It renders the game virtually unplayable on certain monitors.

I was of the impression that the default 2D sprite material was unaffected by lights. This means that what we're seeing is not a lighting issue, but potentially a color space or gamma related issue.

The image labeled "WebGL 2.5 Gamma" has had its levels shifted in Photoshop.

WebGL-Gamma.png

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  2. siliwangi

siliwangi

3. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

4. scarletshark

scarletshark

Linear lighting was part of the issue, but the build is still quite a bit darker. I have pushed a bug report.

Conceptual question: why isn't the lighting mode automatically switched to gamma during a build in an unsupported platform?

DanSuperGP likes this.
  5. scarletshark

scarletshark

Update: Using "gamma" color space, the light is still shifted. Previously I had to gamma correct in Photoshop by 2.5, but now I only have to shift by about 1.8

WebGL-Gamma2.png

6. scarletshark

scarletshark

Ok. I've determined that this is not an issue with lighting.... It appears to have to do with fog. See below:

I have the scene set to linear fog (0 to 1). Camera clipping plane is at 1500, and the object in the background is at 800. The effect appears to be that the fog intensity is about 10% of the intensity in the editor.

WebGL-Gamma3.png

7. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Do you have a case number for your bug report?

8. scarletshark

scarletshark

Jonas, Please see report # 654767

9. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

FYI, i just took a quick look at this - the problem does not seem to be a WebGL issue, but a broader issue with fog being inconsistent between platforms. On OS X, fog looks the same in the editor and in WebGL, but on windows it is much brighter in the editor then both WebGL or OS X. I suspect that our OpenGL (and related) platforms differ from DirectX here. Our graphics team will look into this.