Search Unity

2D web browser inside Oculus App

Discussion in 'VR' started by nieyoub23, May 10, 2018.

1. nieyoub23

nieyoub23

Is there a way to browse the 2D web inside of an Oculus app I am working on? So far I've only been able to find standalone apps where you can watch Netflix etc., or web browsers for desktops that let u look at 3D content. Im more interested in finding a way that I can incorporate a 2D web browser into my own VR app.

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Have you tried rendering browser content to a render texture/world space Unity GUI? I don't see why that wouldn't work.

I'm pretty sure that's the approach the following asset took. https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/embedded-browser-55459

Arkade likes this.
  3. LifeHackStudios

LifeHackStudios

I have been trying to look for exactly the same thing with no luck. the Embedded Browser in the asset store doesn't work with Android/Oculus go. But if you are looking for a Windows solution for the Rift/HTC Vive then the Embedded Browser may work.

4. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

What issues are you seeing on the Go?

Edit: I didn't mean with the asset store product but with the approach in general.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Embedded Browser just flat-out doesn't run on Android or iOS (at least, according to its description).

So I too am curious how one would go about showing a web page on Go.

6. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I didn't mean to imply that that product works on Android, I was asking about the general approach. Embedded browser uses chromium embedded framework for the browser and that doesn't currently run on android so that's why it's not supported. The same approach just using a different embedded browser should work though if you pick one that does run on android. I'm not saying it's a small task, just that I don't see any technical hurdles to doing so.

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Well, sure, in theory it's easy. But as for me, I hardly know anything about the android ecosystem — I have no idea if there is browser code provided by the OS that can be accessed by apps, and whether/how you could access it from a Unity app. If not, then you'd need to either make a native Android plugin (which I also don't know how to do), or find an HTML engine written in C# (which I haven't seen, though I confess I haven't looked).

I agree with the general approach, but I'd love to hear if anybody knows of an off-the-shelf solution.

8. Arkade

Arkade

Hi
    Ironically, I'm trying to provide something similar in my kids VR app to show them information about things. I came across PowerUI which, although not a general purpose browser, does provide quiet a lot of functionality -- hopefully enough for me. Depending on your needs maybe it might work for you? I have it running inside Cardboard/DayDream successfully but I have full control over the HTML content which I realize isn't viable for many :)

I did notice ”Embedded Browser” had a page to register interest in Android support. It sounded like the best option if it were implemented! Have you done so? I can add my vote and I'm /sure that'll be enough/ ;-)

Anyway I'll be listening for any better solutions you discover!

R.

JoeStrout likes this.
  9. nieyoub23

nieyoub23

Ok, thanks for the answers...doesnt seem to be a real solution and im surprised theres not an easy way available yet for developers.

JoeStrout likes this.
  10. LifeHackStudios

LifeHackStudios

I do agree with the general approach and that it might be possible but unfortunately I have not been able to find a solution for Android/IOS like "Embedded Browser". :-(

11. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Hi - did you ever find a solution for the Oculus Go? Same situation here :-(

12. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if this might do the trick.

13. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Thanks - will take a look!

14. billcousert

billcousert

I'm looking for a way to create multiple instances of the Oculus Browser inside a Unity VR project for mobile - specifically for the Oculus Quest and the upcoming Quest 2. This thread is more than two years old. Has anyone found a way to do this yet? I'm surprised nobody has created an asset for this.

sammy_nayhouse likes this.
  15. fajarBinus

fajarBinus

Hey, it same here! i need embedded browser that can show power point for my thesis project, it seems bought https://developer.vuplex.com/webview/overview is the solution right now. But it's too expensive for me btw :(

Ismawell likes this.
  16. PlasticGlasses

PlasticGlasses

KyleStaves and JoeStrout like this.
  17. vuplex

vuplex

Hi! Founder of Vuplex 3D WebView here. Fajar mentioned that it's expensive compared to other assets, and that's true, but the enormous value it provides makes it well worth the price. It's fast, high quality, I provide first-class support, and the money from sales funds continued development and improvements. For example, I just added support for Vulkan in v3.17. To help developers save money, I created the coupon code unityrocks15 that you can use to save at least 15% off through the Vuplex Store. You can redeem the coupon using this link.

18. sandstedt

sandstedt

@vuplex But you are just using Mozillas Gecko engine for Android. So it's basically open source code that you charge a premium for? Sure you have added a layer of API:s and simplified the installation process. But the hard work of building the browser engine is nothing you did.

Sorry for being harsh. But don't see how $199 is a justified price for this plugin.

And for me, the use case would allow my players to ex play spotify or watch youtube while simultaneous playing my vr game. This is a feature that soon will be build into every mayor VR OS anyway, so it's more a perk of "hey you can already do this in my game" - kinda feature.

Ismawell likes this.
  19. fajarBinus

fajarBinus