Search Unity

2d weapons animation for retro fps

Discussion in '2D' started by shogunstudios, Nov 28, 2013.

1. shogunstudios

shogunstudios

I'm looking to create a retro FPS like doom. Bout axis game factory to speed things up. Can't find out how to Add my own custom objects.

Anyways. I been looking at tutorials for fps games and 2d games from sprite sheets. Now animating from sprite sheets seems easy. But I need the image to lay in front of a character.

How would I go about doing this?

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

your on the completely wrong forum shogunstudios, you need to go here for support with Axis Game Factory. Unless you really genuinely need help with the unity end of things specifically, then your in the right place, but I can't make sense of your question.

PS, dont create duplicate threads 20 minutes apart, with identical text.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  3. shogunstudios

shogunstudios

The axis game factory part was just me blowing of steam. Somehow Not all of my text was mentioned. How I do not know.

I want to make guns lay in front of the character like in old games like doom. I have a decent understanding how sprite sheets work.

But how would you get the gun to lay in front. The weapons animations and enemies will be 2d.

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Ok I think I understand now, you need the weapons to appear in front of the player, which he is holding in his hands:

$doom11.jpg

If so, then pretty much all you need is to animate the sprite in an external app, with different possible situations (firing, bobbing left, bobbing right, reloading) which might be several sprites to animate different things, and then import them into unity (either individually or in "sprite sheets" of all the sprites on a single image, or as much as you can fit in a 2048 x 2048 - less if your going mobile) where you can automatically cut them into their own seperate sprites if you combine them in one image, and from there, its a matter of coding the state machine to handle the animation depending on the action, such as when user reloads, play "reload" sprite animation.

These are all going to take some research on the separate areas (animating, cutting sprites, scripting state machine) and then some trial and error to get the right effect.