Search Unity

2d Water Movement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exilekiller, Dec 29, 2011.

1. exilekiller

exilekiller

How can I make a constant flow of water through my game.

Take for example Limbos water. How can I make that in Unity.

Thanks

2. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Could you show a picture of the water flow in Limbo? There are a few ways to do water but it depends on exactly what you're looking for...

3. exilekiller

exilekiller

like this but not coming out of a pipe, just water that flows down a hill.

4. windexglow

windexglow

Limbo was a 2-D puzzle jumper from isometric side.

If I remember right, sometimes water traveled down a surface (one of the puzzles involved jumpting onto a pipe to angle it downwards. Water flowed into pit with boxes in it, allowing you to jump to the other side). Fairly certain the water didn't have any technical volume to it - just particles and special effects.

What you're asking is a very, very broad question with thousands of solutions.

5. exilekiller

exilekiller

just a simp,e easy way to have particals flow down the level.

6. ivanzu

ivanzu

7. exilekiller

exilekiller

Ivanzu, Thank you for the reply, unity tutorials never do to much justice though. Maybe a video or something to help me, I am very stuck on how to make water happen and move.

thanks

8. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

I made a scene in Unity a long time ago that had a lot of water effects, here's the webplayer link (it has a long load time). WASD for movement and F for flashlight. Oh yea, this was done in Unity Free. The main thing you'd be interested in I guess would be the waterfall.

It's really a matter of using 3d models in combination with particle systems. In most cases your water won't be completely realistic if you only use particles so a combination is required (unless you're going to turn the water on and off). To get the particle systems to look right you just need to play around with the numbers until it looks the way you want it.

9. brown2na

brown2na

Jingle Fett that is a very interesting scene. I do like how you got the water tho I did fall off the map haha... You say you just used a particles mixed with a mesh?

10. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Haha lol you fell off? I thought I had sealed everything off but I guess I missed a few spots

But yes, the actual splashes were all particles of course but the main part of the water was a 3d model using a modified version of the UV animator script. I just made a small splash particle system and placed it wherever the 3d model intersected with the rocks. Basically the UV animator scrolls the UV map of the 3d model so if you give it a seamless texture, it gives the illusion of moving water (it's also a great way to do conveyor belts too). The UV animator was how I did the water on the floor too.
    It's pretty much exactly what they did for the water effects in Bioshock and Skyrim. If you have Unity Pro, you can make the effects even more convincing because you can use refraction on the meshes and particles.

11. exilekiller

exilekiller

Ok, So I have made some progress. I have have a tub sort of pool of particles and some overflow for the waterfall. I want the water to keep flowing but the particles seems to never disappear when they fall off the map. How do I make it so they stay until they are off the map?